PDA

View Full Version : Why was Pippen so bad after leaving the Bulls?

TAZORAC
08-12-2021, 12:52 PM
Pippen was 32 when his Bulls run was over, yet he become a mediocre player who lived off of reputation with the Rockets and Trailblazers, why was he so bad?

HoopsNY
08-12-2021, 12:55 PM
At 32, back when training regiments and modern medicine wasn't as advanced, players typically declined at that age. Pippen had back issues and it doesn't come as a surprise that he declined as much as he did. He also didn't want to be a leader on Portland (even though he was by default). He couldn't get along with Barkley and that messed things up, but they were both old, injured, and over the hill.

TheCorporation
08-12-2021, 12:55 PM
He did not take 2 years off to rest like someone else we know...

TAZORAC
08-12-2021, 01:02 PM
At 32, back when training regiments and modern medicine wasn't as advanced, players typically declined at that age. Pippen had back issues and it doesn't come as a surprise that he declined as much as he did. He also didn't want to be a leader on Portland (even though he was by default). He couldn't get along with Barkley and that messed things up, but they were both old, injured, and over the hill.

In regards to your comment about "training regiments and modern medicine wasn't as advanced", I mean I get what your trying to say, but that 1990s wasn't the 1940s bud.

j3lademaster
08-12-2021, 01:18 PM
In regards to your comment about "training regiments and modern medicine wasn't as advanced", I mean I get what your trying to say, but that 1990s wasn't the 1940s bud.He's on the right track. Players take games off to rest and play less minutes, resulting in longer primes. Even so, Pippen's numbers were going to suffer on the Rockets. Too many guys on that squad. Also butting heads with Barkley plus back injuries in previous year's playoffs. And years of deep playoff runs matter. It's impressive to have a long career with 7+ deep runs like this, not everyone can be a genetic freak like Lebron.

Indian guy
08-12-2021, 01:24 PM
Age, mileage and injuries

Ankle surgery in summer of 1996
Foot surgery in winter of 1997
Back surgery in summer of 1998

All this on top of playing 40 mpg in deep playoff runs for basically an entire decade (1990-1998). Not everybody is LeBron.

The guy was 33, injury prone and clearly past his prime by the time he joined Houston in 1999. And his game was mostly based on his athleticism. Easy to see why he was no longer good.

tpols
08-12-2021, 01:48 PM
Age, mileage and injuries

Ankle surgery in summer of 1996
Foot surgery in winter of 1997
Back surgery in summer of 1998

All this on top of playing 40 mpg in deep playoff runs for basically an entire decade (1990-1998). Not everybody is LeBron.

The guy was 33, injury prone and clearly past his prime by the time he joined Houston in 1999. And his game was mostly based on his athleticism. Easy to see why he was no longer good.

But everybody said he was good with the blazers. Some said he was their best player. He bombed out with Barkley when Barkley played great in the playoffs while Pippen shit the bed. Then he blew a 17 point lead in a 4th quarter game 7. That's a GOAT choke.

ShawkFactory
08-12-2021, 01:57 PM
But everybody said he was good with the blazers. Some said he was their best player. He bombed out with Barkley when Barkley played great in the playoffs while Pippen shit the bed. Then he blew a 17 point lead in a 4th quarter game 7. That's a GOAT choke.

To be fair, if they had held on there that would have been a 3-1 comeback. Not many people remember that.

Seems like they just ran out of gas

j3lademaster
08-12-2021, 02:01 PM
But everybody said he was good with the blazers. Some said he was their best player. He bombed out with Barkley when Barkley played great in the playoffs while Pippen shit the bed. Then he blew a 17 point lead in a 4th quarter game 7. That's a GOAT choke.The Blazer's best player was Sheed followed by Sabonis, to me. But Portland didn't have a superstar alpha dog, if we include leadership intangibles one can make an argument for Pippen.

What made the 00 Blazers great was they had a bunch of borderline allstars: mighty mouse, Steve Smith, Pip, Sheed and Sabonis.

Checking out the team stats, Rasheed's stats look worse than I remember. I would have guessed like 20/9 for him.

nineiron
08-12-2021, 04:03 PM
The Blazer's best player was Sheed followed by Sabonis, to me. But Portland didn't have a superstar alpha dog, if we include leadership intangibles one can make an argument for Pippen.

What made the 00 Blazers great was they had a bunch of borderline allstars: mighty mouse, Steve Smith, Pip, Sheed and Sabonis.

Checking out the team stats, Rasheed's stats look worse than I remember. I would have guessed like 20/9 for him.

according to bran stans, Pippen was a superstar alpha dog

Sportal
08-12-2021, 06:42 PM
I mean... Beside the obvious? The complete change of teams? Change of environment? Change of coach? Change of game plan? Dunno...

Bronbron23
08-12-2021, 06:58 PM
Pippen was 32 when his Bulls run was over, yet he become a mediocre player who lived off of reputation with the Rockets and Trailblazers, why was he so bad?

32 in the physical 90's was usually when players started to decline. Look at almost any star from the 90's and almost all of them started declining right around 32 give or take a year. Mj and karl malone were the exceptions

lakerstekkenn
08-12-2021, 07:42 PM
Scottie when he left Chicago to play for Huston was 33 years old.

His numbers started to decline each year after that point he went to Portland in 1999-2000 season his average that year was 11.3 regular season with Chicago it was around 20 points each year but after years it started to drop, peak years his point average was 20, Huston it dropped to 14.5 with Portland it dropped to 12.5 drops again to 11.3 then in 2001 drops to 10.6 200-2003 drops again to 10.8 it drops again to 5.9

So as he gets older his numbers drops significantly being 33 years old when he joined Huston 1998-99, Portland 199-00, Portland 2000-201, Portland 2001-2002, back with Chicago in 2003-2004, then retirement.

Pippen had two back surgeries July of 1988 & in 1998, so back problems again started to slow him down and age being 33 years old in Huston.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/scottie-pippens-injury-history-sheds-light-what-could-be-ahead-michael-porter-jr

So Scotties numbers dropped because of age, his prime started to end after his Chicago playing days, also maybe because he wasn't leaned on to score as much, especially in Portland playing with such deep talent, so his role was more of a leader, then a scorer.

He didn't get along with Barkley at all calling him a fat ass, so that marriage didn't last long, it looks like Pippen didn't respect Charles will to win.

His numbers in Huston though look solid check for yourself, but it's said he had issues with Charles Barkley,so that messed up chemistry with Huston.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01/gamelog/1999

Rockets' early elimination from the playoffs, Pippen expressed a desire to be traded. Charles Barkley appeared on Up Close and openly criticized Pippen, saying, Pippen on Charles Barkley He can never expect an apology from me. If anything, he owes me an apology for coming to play with his fat butt." He stated that the main reasons for his departure were Barkley's selfishness and his lack of desire to win.

Saturday, October 2
Pippen, Barkley play the feud

http://assets.espn.go.com/nba/news/1999/0929/85794.html

Pippen wanted to play with the Lakers and Phil.

His numbers in Portland in his first year look solid, but according to reports, Pippen started suffering from nagging injuries in the 2000 season, his age.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01/gamelog/2000

They are fare from Chicago numbers but they are solid role player numbers not asked to carry a team as the second option leader.

Scottie Pippen's 1993-94 Game Log. prime years.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01/gamelog/1994

Scottie Pippen 1997-98 Game Log
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01/gamelog/1998

Scottie Pippen 2001-02 Game Log

Numbers are still good, they aren't prime numbers but good numbers.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01/gamelog/2002

This was it 2003-2004 he barely played & only had a leader role in Chicago's return.
Scottie Pippen 2003-04 Game Log

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01/gamelog/2004

kabacho
08-12-2021, 07:46 PM
By that time kobe was in the league. jordan give him his blessing as the next big thing. pippen was over

HoopsNY
08-12-2021, 07:58 PM
In regards to your comment about "training regiments and modern medicine wasn't as advanced", I mean I get what your trying to say, but that 1990s wasn't the 1940s bud.

Pippen came into the league in 1987. A decade's worth of injuries and underdeveloped regiments build up to 1999-02. It's not like he came into the league in 1998. Not to mention, Pippen often sacrificed himself for the team.

He played in the summer Olympics in 1992 despite his ankle injury. That negatively impacted his game in 1993 and needless to say, Chicago's win total dropped.

He had a lot of injuries between 1996-98 and that really proved fatal for his prime. But being 32 and declining significantly from there isn't unheard of.

Axe
08-12-2021, 08:28 PM
He's on the right track. Players take games off to rest and play less minutes, resulting in longer primes. Even so, Pippen's numbers were going to suffer on the Rockets. Too many guys on that squad. Also butting heads with Barkley plus back injuries in previous year's playoffs. And years of deep playoff runs matter. It's impressive to have a long career with 7+ deep runs like this, not everyone can be a genetic freak like Lebron.
Yep, pretty much kong has capitalized on this.

3ba11
08-12-2021, 08:36 PM

pippen was nothing without the triangle and the system propping him up, kind of like Draymond... Pippen was a 14 ppg scorer without the triangle (89' and 99')... :confusedshrug:... facts gonna facts

Ultimately, Pippen was 32, while Barkley and Hakeem were 35 and 36, yet Pippen instantly became a 3rd option... With Pippen at 3rd option, that Rockets team as more stacked than any Bulls team.

But unfortunately, only Jordan could win with Pippen - even prime Wade/Bosh couldn't win with Pippen in the 11' Finals... :facepalm:

HoopsNY
08-12-2021, 10:08 PM
pippen was nothing without the triangle and the system propping him up, kind of like Draymond... Pippen was a 14 ppg scorer without the triangle (89' and 99')... :confusedshrug:... facts gonna facts

Ultimately, Pippen was 32, while Barkley and Hakeem were 35 and 36, yet Pippen instantly became a 3rd option... With Pippen at 3rd option, that Rockets team as more stacked than any Bulls team.

But unfortunately, only Jordan could win with Pippen - even prime Wade/Bosh couldn't win with Pippen in the 11' Finals... :facepalm:

Don't you have anything better to do? The OP wasn't even about anything you're saying. Stay on topic or go make another Pippen thread and argue with yourself.

ImKobe
08-12-2021, 10:10 PM
Because of Kobe, who beat him/outplayed him in the POs 4 years in a row after he left Chicago. Three 1st round exits (Pippen was 1-9 in those games :oldlol: ) served up by the next MJ. Lakers had the Pippen deal on the table in '99 for Horry and Rice IIRC but didn't want his ass, which is a blessing in disguise because imagine how insufferable the media would have been had Pippen won 3 with Shaq/Kobe and ended up with 9 total... No thanks.

RRR3
08-12-2021, 10:11 PM
Because of Kobe, who beat him/outplayed him in the POs 4 years in a row after he left Chicago. Three 1st round exits (Pippen was 1-9 in those games :oldlol: ) served up by the next MJ. Lakers had the Pippen deal on the table in '99 for Horry and Rice IIRC but didn't want his ass, which is a blessing in disguise because imagine how insufferable the media would have been had Pippen won 3 with Shaq/Kobe and ended up with 9 total... No thanks.
Too 10 worst poster on the NBA forum. In awe of your stupidity.

Axe
08-12-2021, 11:13 PM
Despite being bad, he got to the 2000 wcf with the blazers in which they almost ran circles against the lakers. Something which will always be better than whatever jordan did in his career without him. Not even his fancy 63-point game en route to being swept in the first round of the playoffs by the best dynasty team, even if i consider that being an iconic playoff moment by a sophomore.

Smoke117
08-13-2021, 12:38 AM
As far as the Rockets go, he hated his role and how he was used on that team. In 2000 on the Blazers he pretty much just coasted through the regular season. He picked it up in the playoffs and was very impactful there. In general, though, he was older, had a lot of trek on those tires, and had had his fair share of Injuries and surgeries throughout his career. By 2001 his back was becoming increasingly more of an issue and his knees were starting to give him problems, too. Despite all that he always kept the jail blazers from completely combusting. He did an especially great job in 2003. I remember how the team would start melting down when he went out and immediately once he came back in he would settle them down and get them back to playing the right way. It's why he had a team best +10 on/off that season. His knees, though, would force him to miss most of the last 1/4th of the season and he would barely play in the playoffs.

97 bulls
08-13-2021, 01:56 AM
As far as the Rockets go, he hated his role and how he was used on that team. In 2000 on the Blazers he pretty much just coasted through the regular season. He picked it up in the playoffs and was very impactful there. In general, though, he was older, had a lot of trek on those tires, and had had his fair share of Injuries and surgeries throughout his career. By 2001 his back was becoming increasingly more of an issue and his knees were starting to give him problems, too. Despite all that he always kept the jail blazers from completely combusting. He did an especially great job in 2003. I remember how the team would start melting down when he went out and immediately once he came back in he would settle them down and get them back to playing the right way. It's why he had a team best +10 on/off that season. His knees, though, would force him to miss most of the last 1/4th of the season and he would barely play in the playoffs.

Exactly. Pippens talents were underutilized in Houston. They relegated him to being a 3pt shooter. He was still effective.

For the life of me, I don't get all the vitriol for Pippen in 00. He was almost 35 years old by the time his Blazers played the Lakers. Well past his prime.

nayte
08-13-2021, 02:56 AM
He did a fairly good job after the Bulls. The problem is the fam talk him up so much to put down Jordan that he is gonna cop this sort of flak.

Mauzah
08-13-2021, 03:13 AM
Rasheed was their best player but Pippen was their leader.

When you think about it Pips best years were from 89-95 and from that point on wards his career was marred with multiple injures during the second 3peat, new systems/teams and aging out. So to answer your question he was by his own standards "bad" before leaving Chicago.

HoopsNY
08-13-2021, 02:37 PM
Exactly. Pippens talents were underutilized in Houston. They relegated him to being a 3pt shooter. He was still effective.

For the life of me, I don't get all the vitriol for Pippen in 00. He was almost 35 years old by the time his Blazers played the Lakers. Well past his prime.

Yea, it's a good point. He was in the playoffs every single of his career by that point, and he played on multiple dream teams. Scottie put in a lot of work. And when you consider his back issues, it's unreasonable to think he would do much more at the age of 34.

3ba11
08-13-2021, 02:40 PM
Don't you have anything better to do? The OP wasn't even about anything you're saying. Stay on topic or go make another Pippen thread and argue with yourself.

OP asked why Pippen was bad after leaving the Bulls - I said that pippen was nothing without the triangle and the system propping him up, kind of like Draymond... Pippen was a 14 ppg scorer without the triangle (89' and 99')... ...

That's a direct answer to the OP... You're just mad because you don't like the facts or historical record... Too bad.. grow up

Again - Pippen was 32, while Barkley and Hakeem were 35 and 36, yet Pippen instantly became a 3rd option... With Pippen at 3rd option, that Rockets team as more stacked than any Bulls team... But unfortunately, only Jordan could win with Pippen - even prime Wade/Bosh couldn't win with Pippen in the 11' Finals

3ba11
08-13-2021, 03:35 PM
For kicks, let's review Pippen's 4th biggest choke of his career:

Pippen hacks the shit out of Hubert:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-27-2021/W44XtX.gif

Here's what Pippen did right BEFORE the dumb foul on Hubert Davis - he passes up a huge clearout and gives it to BJ for a rushed shot:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-27-2021/_p33FZ.gif

Phil was pissed at Pippen after that - he already knew that Pippen couldn't be trusted when it mattered and that he should've gone with Kukoc again:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-27-2021/8uUPI_.gif

So Pippen choked many times in that series - the "sit out" game, the "dumb foul" game, and Game 7, plus a lot of other little chokes in between.. Then he had the "migraine", which cost the Bulls the 1990 title, and he lost a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter that cost the 00' Blazers the title.. Pippen simply SUCKED - he wasn't a good player

The problem is that he was overrated by new fans for the last couple decades, so it's gone to his head now - he called Phil racist for going with Kukoc - that's pretty dumb because Phil had no problem putting the ball in MJ's hands

97 bulls
08-13-2021, 04:29 PM
OP asked why Pippen was bad after leaving the Bulls - I said that pippen was nothing without the triangle and the system propping him up, kind of like Draymond... Pippen was a 14 ppg scorer without the triangle (89' and 99')... ...

That's a direct answer to the OP... You're just mad because you don't like the facts or historical record... Too bad.. grow up

Again - Pippen was 32, while Barkley and Hakeem were 35 and 36, yet Pippen instantly became a 3rd option... With Pippen at 3rd option, that Rockets team as more stacked than any Bulls team... But unfortunately, only Jordan could win with Pippen - even prime Wade/Bosh couldn't win with Pippen in the 11' Finals

The problem was the offense the Rockets ran. They wanted to pound the ball in to Olajiwan and Barkley. And Pippen wanted to play a more uptempo style of offense.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pippen-frustrated-with-rockets/

ClipperRevival
08-13-2021, 10:27 PM

https://c.tenor.com/dBFMInJknQkAAAAC/michael-jordan-jordan.gif

ClipperRevival
08-13-2021, 10:33 PM
Pip's stats post Bulls (1999 - 2004 & 345 games):

11.5 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 4.9 APG, 1.6 SPG, .436%, 15.3 PER, .522 TS%

Colluded with Barkley and Olajuwon and got bounced in the 1st round. Then joined a ultra stacked Blazers team and choked away game 7 in 2000.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/2cd1ce8c87a7574c5ca4382a0a809d0a/tenor.gif?itemid=3883807

ClipperRevival
08-13-2021, 10:37 PM
Pip was an Iggy. A long, athletic player who can facilitate a bit, play D and fill the passing lanes. Bulls had no business winning the title in 1998. It was literally all MJ. Rodman had mentally checked out by then and Pip was useless. Funny how playing next to MJ, he chips 6/6 but he goes to other teams with talent and he literally gets reduced to an Iggy type role player.

3ba11
08-13-2021, 10:38 PM
The problem was the offense the Rockets ran. They wanted to pound the ball in to Olajiwan and Barkley. And Pippen wanted to play a more uptempo style of offense.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pippen-frustrated-with-rockets/

Pippen wasn't just bad in 89' or 99' without the triangle, he was bad WITH the triangle during the 2nd three-peat - 17.6 on 41% for the entire 96-98' Playoffs, including many series of 16 on 40% or worse

He was also horrible in the 93' Playoffs, including the worst BPM ever for a winning sidekick and nearly the worst efficiency (TS), while being worse than 13' Wade across the board (PER,WS/48, VORP, BPM), and even 14' Wade (PER, WS/48, pace-adjusted scoring)... 45.9% true shooting in the Finals btw, so MJ had to average 41

Accordingly, Pippen was more like a defensive role player for those 4 titles (93', 96-98') - the 91' and 92' runs are the only viable runs of his playoff career, and even in 92' he nearly derailed th repeat with the debacle against X-man... Otherwise, Pippen was a trainwreck in the playoffs literally every year of his career

97 bulls
08-13-2021, 11:16 PM
Pippen wasn't just bad in 89' or 99' without the triangle, he was bad WITH the triangle during the 2nd three-peat - 17.6 on 41% for the entire 96-98' Playoffs, including many series of 16 on 40% or worse

He was also horrible in the 93' Playoffs, including the worst BPM ever for a winning sidekick and nearly the worst efficiency (TS), while being worse than 13' Wade across the board (PER,WS/48, VORP, BPM), and even 14' Wade (PER, WS/48, pace-adjusted scoring)... 45.9% true shooting in the Finals btw, so MJ had to average 41

Accordingly, Pippen was more like a defensive role player for those 4 titles (93', 96-98') - the 91' and 92' runs are the only viable runs of his playoff career, and even in 92' he nearly derailed th repeat with the debacle against X-man... Otherwise, Pippen was a trainwreck in the playoffs literally every year of his career

Bro. You can't claim to know basketball and then argue my point. Pippen wasn't bad in 99, the offense the Rockets ran wasn't conducive to Pippens strengths. It's like saying Shaq is a bad player if he fails at playing PG. Maybe they wouldn't have got bounced in the first round if they listened to the guy that won 6 championships.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on the other stuff. Your arguments are intellectually dishonest at best. I don't base a players success off of 5 or 6 games. I go from game 1 of the season to the last game of the season. I take I injuries into account as well.

97 bulls
08-13-2021, 11:18 PM
Pip was an Iggy. A long, athletic player who can facilitate a bit, play D and fill the passing lanes. Bulls had no business winning the title in 1998. It was literally all MJ. Rodman had mentally checked out by then and Pip was useless. Funny how playing next to MJ, he chips 6/6 but he goes to other teams with talent and he literally gets reduced to an Iggy type role player.

Lol. Did you watch the 1998 Finals bro? Pippen and Rodman (especially Rodman) were just as important in that series as Jordan.

3ba11
08-13-2021, 11:20 PM
Bro. You can't claim to know basketball and then argue my point. Pippen wasn't bad in 99, the offense the Rockets ran wasn't conducive to Pippens strengths. It's like saying Shaq is a bad player if he fails at playing PG. Maybe they wouldn't have got bounced in the first round if they listened to the guy that won 6 championships.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on the other stuff. Your arguments are intellectually dishonest at best. I don't base a players success off of 5 or 6 games. I go from game 1 of the season to the last game of the season. I take I injuries into account as well.

You're making up your own truth to fit the narrative you want because the your take flies in the face of the stats - the Bulls ranked between 19th and LAST in pace during the championship years - they were a halfcourt team.

And 5 or 6 games? Pippen averaged 17.6 on 41% for the entire 96-98' Playoffs - so even the triangle wasn't conducive for him..

he just wasn't an offensive player and his worst-ever efficiency in the 93' Playoffs and 96-98' Playoff proves that he couldn't handle the 2nd option load - he was a 3rd or 4th option, like he was in Houston - that was his caliber.

RRR3
08-13-2021, 11:26 PM
You’d have a hard time explaining what happened in 1994 without MJ if he was an Iguodala level player. Doesn’t say much for MJ’s era either if Iguodala could be an MVP candidate.

RRR3
08-13-2021, 11:27 PM
Snivelball.

97 bulls
08-13-2021, 11:28 PM
You're making up your own truth to fit the narrative you want because the your take flies in the face of the stats - the Bulls ranked between 19th and LAST in pace during the championship years - they were a halfcourt team.

And 5 or 6 games? Pippen averaged 17.6 on 41% for the entire 96-98' Playoffs - so even the triangle wasn't conducive for him..

he just wasn't an offensive player and his worst-ever efficiency in the 93' Playoffs and 96-98' Playoff proves that he couldn't handle the 2nd option load - he was a 3rd or 4th option, like he was in Houston - that was his caliber.

It's not about pace. It's about the offense they ran. Again, you don't know basketball.

3ba11
08-13-2021, 11:29 PM
You’d have a hard time explaining what happened in 1994 without MJ if he was an Iguodala level player. Doesn’t say much for MJ’s era either if Iguodala could be an MVP candidate.

It's funny because Ewing nearly beat Hakeem with 18 on 35%, so Jordan's 30 ppg would've destroyed Hakeem.

So it's all but fact that if Pippen retired in 94' instead of Jordan, the Bulls easily win the title in 94' with Jordan and that revamped Bulls team

Remember that the Suns would've beaten the Rockets in 94' if Barkley was healthy (KJ was forced to be 1st option and dominate, but it wasn't quite enough - they barely lost in 7)

97 bulls
08-13-2021, 11:32 PM
It's funny because Ewing nearly beat Hakeem with 18 on 35%, so Jordan's 30 ppg would've destroyed Hakeem.

So it's all but fact that if Pippen retired in 94' instead of Jordan, the Bulls easily win the title in 94' with Jordan and that revamped Bulls team

Remember that the Suns would've beaten the Rockets in 94' if Barkley was healthy (KJ was forced to be 1st option and dominate, but it wasn't quite enough - they barely lost in 7)

Lol. Ewing didn't play Hakeem. The Knicks played the Rockets. What killed the Bulls was old ass Bill Cartwright got lit up by Ewing and Pippen ran out of gas y the 4th quarter trying to do everything. Against the number 1 defense in the league.

3ba11
08-13-2021, 11:36 PM
Pippen ran out of gas

ran out of gas?... He never had any gas to begin with - since when was 21.7 on 40% going to beat any reasonable team?

Lol. Ewing didn't play Hakeem. The Knicks played the Rockets. What killed the Bulls was old ass Bill Cartwright got lit up by Ewing and Pippen ran out of gas y the 4th quarter trying to do everything. Against the number 1 defense in the league.

The 94' Bulls lost because of Pippen's many chokes - here's one of them

Here's what Pippen did right BEFORE the dumb foul on Hubert Davis - he passes up a huge clearout and gives it to BJ for a rushed shot:

Phil was pissed at Pippen after that - he already knew that Pippen couldn't be trusted when it mattered and that he should've gone with Kukoc again:

So Pippen choked many times - the "sit out" game, the "dumb foul" game, and Game 7, plus a lot of other little chokes in between

Then he had the "migraine" choke and lost a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter in 2000 to trick off another title.

The problem is that Pippen was overrated by new fans for the last couple decades, so it's gone to his head now - he called Phil racist for going with Kukoc - that's pretty dumb because Phil had no problem putting the ball in MJ's hands

97 bulls
08-13-2021, 11:43 PM
ran out of gas?... He never had any gas to begin with - since when was 21.7 on 40% going to beat any reasonable team?

The 94' Bulls lost because of Pippen's many chokes - here's one of them

So Pippen choked many times - the "sit out" game, the "dumb foul" game, and Game 7, plus a lot of other little chokes in between

Then he had the "migraine" choke and lost a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter in 2000 to trick off another title.

The problem is that Pippen was overrated by new fans for the last couple decades, so it's gone to his head now - he called Phil racist for going with Kukoc - that's pretty dumb because Phil had no problem putting the ball in MJ's hands

Everybody but you knew that wasn't a foul. Even Davis said he was shocked he got that call.

When I say everything I mean everything. Pippen had to score, defend, run the offense, and play help defense. He nobody on that team that could create their own shot outside of him. He had nobody that could bail him out and take pressure off him like he did MJ in 93, and 92, and 97. You remember those times right? When Jackson sat MJ down cuz he didn't have it and Pippen stepped in and took over the game?

3ba11
08-13-2021, 11:57 PM
Everybody but you knew that wasn't a foul. Even Davis said he was shocked he got that call.

When I say everything I mean everything. Pippen had to score, defend, run the offense, and play help defense. He nobody on that team that could create their own shot outside of him. He had nobody that could bail him out and take pressure off him like he did MJ in 93, and 92, and 97. You remember those times right? When Jackson sat MJ down cuz he didn't have it and Pippen stepped in and took over the game?

The gif clearly shows that Pippen hacked Hubert, so you look schizophrenic by saying it wasn't a foul - the sky isn't pink; it's blue....

I searched every available broadcast (both local broadcasts and the national one) to find that angle that shows the hack (the local new york broadcast had the only good angle, shown in the gif above)

And everyone has to defend - that wasn't unique to Pippen - ultimately, players with spotty scoring that defend well are called defensive role players - that's what Pippen was

and his 5 assists is hardly "running the offense" - he wasn't the point guard and the triangle was equal-opportunity with no point guard role... So you're just making things up or regurgitating ignorant narratives you heard from Shannon Sharpe or others..

Pippen's peak was 21 and 5 apg with trash efficiency, aka worse than Pandemic P... Pandemic Pippen is my new nickname for him

97 bulls
08-14-2021, 12:00 AM

Looking at this play, Kukoc ****ed Pippen over. It's a clear out. Why would Kukoc move to the middle of the paint and thus bring another defender and clog the paint as well?

Not to mention this play is no different than the play where Jordan passes to Steve Kerr in 97 other than Armstrong missed and Kerr didn't. Oh and Jordan's teammates didn't sabotage him like Kukoc did.

97 bulls
08-14-2021, 12:05 AM
The gif clearly shows that Pippen hacked Hubert, so you look schizophrenic by saying it wasn't a foul - the sky isn't pink; it's blue....

I searched every available broadcast (both local broadcasts and the national one) to find that angle that shows the hack (the local new york broadcast had the only good angle, shown in the gif above)

And everyone has to defend - that wasn't unique to Pippen - ultimately, players with spotty scoring that defend well are called defensive role players - that's what Pippen was

and his 5 assists is hardly "running the offense" - he wasn't the point guard and the triangle was equal-opportunity with no point guard role... So you're just making things up or regurgitating ignorant narratives you heard from Shannon Sharpe or others..

Pippen's peak was 21 and 5 apg with trash efficiency, aka worse than Pandemic P... Pandemic Pippen is my new nickname for him

20 ppg is not spotty scoring. SMH. Running and an offense goes far beyond your assist numbers. Are you sure you played D1? I don't think you played any kind of organized basketball. I think you're enamored with Jordan dunking and scoring like most casual fans.

3ba11
08-14-2021, 12:07 AM
Looking at this play, Kukoc ****ed Pippen over. It's a clear out. Why would Kukoc move to the middle of the paint and thus bring another defender and clog the paint as well?

Wow you really do make up your own truth - first you say the gif doesn't show Pippen fouling Hubert, and now you're saying Pippen didn't have a good clearout on a wide open clearout

Gimme a break - pippen had all day to make his move and the entire baseline cleared out - but Pippen has no jab step and no scoring skill, so things like this aren't possible:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-08-2015/cxLte6.gif

97 bulls
08-14-2021, 12:37 AM
Wow you really do make up your own truth - first you say the gif doesn't show Pippen fouling Hubert, and now you're saying Pippen didn't have a good clearout on a wide open clearout

Gimme a break - pippen had all day to make his move and the entire baseline cleared out - but Pippen has no jab step and no scoring skill, so things like this aren't possible:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-08-2015/cxLte6.gif

This isn't hardly the same play. Perdue was setting a pick, all of Jordan's teammate were top side and by the time Jordan got to the paint, he had 1 guy in his way. And that's the Mavericks. They sucked at that time

Had Pippen went Baseline, he would've met a wall of Knicks in Ewing, Oakley and Smith. Kukoc should've got the he'll out of the way. Like I said, you don't know basketball. Oh and the Knicks had the number 1 rated defense. Your arguments are a joke. Lol

Smoke117
08-14-2021, 12:47 AM
This isn't hardly the same play. Perdue was setting a pick, all of Jordan's teammate were top side and by the time Jordan got to the paint, he had 1 guy in his way. And that's the Mavericks. They sucked at that time

Had Pippen went Baseline, he would've met a wall of Knicks in Ewing, Oakley and Smith. Kukoc should've got the he'll out of the way. Like I said, you don't know basketball. Oh and the Knicks had the number 1 rated defense. Your arguments are a joke. Lol

lol why are you arguing with 3ball? Check that, why are you even reading his posts? I maybe read 5% of his post these days. What you need to do is just post a "1-9" and move on.

97 bulls
08-14-2021, 12:51 AM
lol why are you arguing with 3ball? Check that, why are you even reading his posts? I maybe read 5% of his post these days. What you need to do is just post a "1-9" and move on.

Lol. Great point

1-9.

Axe
08-14-2021, 03:21 AM

Yep, 1-9ball doesn't care about the bulls as an organization back then. He's only fixated on sugarcoating his hero dayly while downplaying on what could be the best sidekick he had in his whole career, never mind the fact that he's never had any winning seasons without him at all. Then tells us that he has a life rofl. He's a big disgrace even amongst the most matured mj stans itb.

Jasper
08-14-2021, 10:00 AM
back 20 years ago , a center would last till he was 32-34 (then spot minutes at best)
PF's and Sf's 34-36 and it was over
Guards lasted longer , lighter , shorter , and knee's typically held up 34-37 (but lost a step)

Knee's , hips, back go --- that is why they demanded a big paychecks early , their careers ended , when typically ours start

Red Pill Sports
11-07-2022, 02:51 AM

I remember Tomjanovich saying that they repeatedly trying running set plays specifically for Pippen and he kept blowing it, but I can't find the quote anywhere. But the evidence nevertheless shows that Pippen was a system player. He was nothing without the triangle

TAZORAC
11-07-2022, 05:32 PM

Wasn't alot of offensive talent back then. Prime Iguodala playing in 1994 would have been one of the better players in the NBA.

fantasy
11-07-2022, 05:36 PM
He was already 33 when he left the Bulls I think.

John8204
11-07-2022, 11:14 PM
He got screwed out of a ring over one of the worst called games in NBA history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ySDRAoE3Nc&t=6s

Red Pill Sports
11-11-2022, 10:06 PM
He got screwed out of a ring over one of the worst called games in NBA history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ySDRAoE3Nc&t=6s

The refs didn't make Portland miss 13 shots in a row. The refs didn't make Pippen vanish down the stretch. Shaq had 3 fouls in the first half and the Lakers were whistled for their 4th team foul with nearly 8 minutes left.

Enough of this excuse. Pippen rode the coattails of the NBA's most stacked roster of the early 2000s then failed to deliver when the situation called for him to do so.