PDA

View Full Version : What did you play as and what did you want to play as?

90sgoat
08-16-2021, 09:18 PM
Caution!

This topic requires actual basketball ability and experience.

I used to play in the 90s as a 3-and-D guard. I hit the 3s at an acceptable rate, defended decently and ran the fast break.

What I really wanted to be was Jason Kidd and running the point. Never was allowed to play the point. Go stand in the corner.

What about you?

HoopsNY
08-16-2021, 09:37 PM
Caution!

This topic requires actual basketball ability and experience.

I used to play in the 90s as a 3-and-D guard. I hit the 3s at an acceptable rate, defended decently and ran the fast break.

What I really wanted to be was Jason Kidd and running the point. Never was allowed to play the point. Go stand in the corner.

What about you?

I was pretty much the same. A shooting guard, only I couldn't play defense, dribble extremely well, slash, etc. I sucked basically lmao.

FultzNationRISE
08-16-2021, 09:42 PM
Similar to Doncic in terms of athleticism, body control, creativity, footwork... but with better defense (for my competition level) and a much worse jump shot.

My shot was ass. Otherwise I coulda been a baller, boys...

90sgoat
08-16-2021, 09:46 PM
Similar to Doncic in terms of athleticism, body control, creativity, footwork... but with better defense (for my competition level) and a much worse jump shot.

My shot was ass. Otherwise I coulda been a baller, boys...

Sounds like you were Ben Simmons before it was cool.

90sgoat
08-16-2021, 09:46 PM
I was pretty much the same. A shooting guard, only I couldn't play defense, dribble extremely well, slash, etc. I sucked basically lmao.

Lol, what was your best skill?

FultzNationRISE
08-16-2021, 09:53 PM
Sounds like you were Ben Simmons before it was cool.

Actually yeah, that is probably the closest comparison without having to use qualifiers like "but with..." or "but without..."

Pretty much Ben Simmons.

Although a 5'11 version, which isn't *quite* as valuable.

Manny98
08-16-2021, 09:55 PM
Well the two players that got me into basketball in the first place were Rondo and Nash

I have always had a thing for guys that are good passers and making others around them better

In basketball i pride myself on defense and getting my teammates open shots, my ideal stat line would be 10 points 15 assists 10 rebounds 5 steals with 0 turnovers

I went through a phase were i had to play small forward on my team though which i hated because i don't like being a spot up shooter

Hopefully in University i can run point!, the way i describe my play style would be like Trae Young with Patrick Beverly defense(obviously no where near as good i am not even D2 level)

Mauzah
08-16-2021, 09:57 PM
Three point shooter who liked to operate in the post with fadeaways and up and unders.

People to this day are dumbfounded by how close they can get defensively while I still bang jumpers in their face. A kid called me Larry Bird just the other day while hooping :oldlol:

warriorfan
08-16-2021, 10:01 PM
Tim Hardaway/Gary Payton. MJ/AI

HoopsNY
08-16-2021, 11:27 PM
Lol, what was your best skill?

Shooting. Don't get it twisted, I was an average defender but my ability to slash wasn't great. I was an average ball handler. I was like Allan Houston. I played in the Junior Knicks league and didn't make varsity at my HS. But I was never a serious baller. I played for fun.

As a kid in NYC, we had hoops in the middle of the street. The block used to have like 30 of us in the summer time. Water guns, fire hydrant opened, playin ball. Good times man. You don't see that sorta thing anymore at all.

imdaman99
08-16-2021, 11:35 PM
At my park for the last few years, I'd like to think I was Klay but some dudes with broke jumpers call me Curry... I prefer balling on teams where the ball moves but good luck finding ball movement guys. Most wanna dribble dribble dribble and tell me to stand in the corner to allow for spacing. Yeah I can shoot, prob the best at my park (usually win 500, if you guys know what that is) but I hate standing in the corner and waiting for the ball once every 5 mins.

One of these guys asked me why I like Westbrook so much, I told him because I play like him to which he laughed and said I play nothing like him :lol of course it was jokes. I'd like to think in my prime I was a high IQ Westbrook with a great shot and more intangibles when I didn't have the ball in my hands.

outofstomach
08-17-2021, 12:31 AM
never played organized ball, but i actually really try to emulate harden’s game in the park, issue with that is, is that im a wildly inconsistent shooter lol

easiest comparison is like D Rose or Westbrook, im super quick up and down the court, have a pretty sharp fast step, can finish with both hands, drive both sides, crafty handle etc.

my weaknesses are passing (i can never seem to make a play with the ball) and shooting

i think im pretty solid on defense as well

DoctorP
08-17-2021, 12:41 AM
I pretty much played as a defensive point guard that could get to the rim until I finally developed a jumpshot and became more of a pass-first jumpshooting point guard. Now I stay behind the 3 ball line and create a lot of space and I can score from anywhere on the court with my J and I can always find an assist. The game is easy to me.

I will stay like this until my legs can't go anymore.

I play little defense now.

I just wanted to be Jordan :lol I ended up being more like Curry

Smoke117
08-17-2021, 12:49 AM
I didn't play organized basketball. Two sports I played were baseball and soccer. Wasn't particularly good at soccer as I didn't care or much try, but was a pretty good pitcher and overall baseball player back in my youthful days.

MrFonzworth
08-17-2021, 12:58 AM
Street ball I was an overdribbling chucker like Jason Williams. In the league I play in, the NBA, I'm literally TJ McConnell.

Joey Turnbuckle
08-17-2021, 01:27 AM
A short Oliver Miller, with the defense of Gary Payton and the offense of Steve Nash.

They called me point lard.

DoctorP
08-17-2021, 01:38 AM
A short Oliver Miller, with the defense of Gary Payton and the offense of Steve Nash.

I would stay the hell away from you :lol

Sportal
08-17-2021, 02:01 AM
I was one of the tallest players in my region... There were two other people taller than me at 6'4... So they made me play Centre when I had the best shooting, handles, passing, vision on the team. I wanted to control the game, not stand in the lane and play with my back to the basket. Wasn't the greatest region for basketball at all... but those who went on to play for our local college around my age ended up being a part of one of the best college teams in the United Kingdom.

FultzNationRISE
08-17-2021, 02:05 AM
I will say that off the court, like in terms of the locker room and the showers, people seemed to think I had kind of a Lebron-Oden-Pippen-Ibaka thing goin on. Was never quite sure what they meant by that, but I figure they wouldnt be sayin it if there wasnt somethin to it.

LAL
08-17-2021, 03:04 AM
I'm a pg/sg. Honestly, i'm basically a magician on the court, hardly any weaknesses, biggest problem was giving up on basketball at a too early age. Hanging out with the wrong people, life of the party. Sadly.

LAL
08-17-2021, 03:05 AM
I will say that off the court, like in terms of the locker room and the showers, people seemed to think I had kind of a Lebron-Oden-Pippen-Ibaka thing goin on. Was never quite sure what they meant by that, but I figure they wouldnt be sayin it if there wasnt somethin to it.

:roll:

DoctorP
08-17-2021, 04:53 AM
Street ball I was an overdribbling chucker like Jason Williams. In the league I play in, the NBA, I'm literally TJ McConnell.

:lol

Manny98
08-17-2021, 05:02 AM
:roll:

Sportal
08-17-2021, 05:38 AM

Yeah, I did kinda lol at this.

DJmicah
08-17-2021, 08:44 AM
I was/am Ricky Rubio basically. Flashy and very willing passer. Can hit WIDE open shots. short guy so on defense i can only do so much against bigger defenders, same reason for not so good rebounding.

Reggie43
08-17-2021, 09:37 AM
Obviously a Reggie Miller fan but deep down I wanted to play like Penny/Pippen but when I started playing the game I fell in love with defense and turned into a Kirilenko/Camby type defender who challenged every shot coming my way lol.

Had on and off knee pain for more than a decade because of that style of play so I was forced to be a more fundamentally sound defender as I got older relying more on positioning, angles and beating your man to the spot etc.

Jasper
08-17-2021, 09:50 AM
I would of preferred SG , but I was a SF in high school as well as playground league.
I was a decent rebounder in the day , but I could stroke it with the best of them.

ralph_i_el
08-17-2021, 10:34 AM
Basketball is not the sport where I have the most experience. I try to take my skills from water polo and transfer them over. Strength through contact, court vision, defensive instincts, and ability to create a shot with a defender on you are all things that transfer. I played water polo in college, so there are things I'm very good at, and there are basketball skills where I am at a middle school level. I'm pretty athletic and can pass, but I pretty much will not try and score unless I catch the ball from the elbow or closer. I'm basically a 6' guy playing as a traditional 4, but will randomly take the ball coast to coast like I'm John Wall and surprise the shit out of people.

My signature move is using footwork and fakes to get a 10 foot bank shot, then when they sit on that I hit them with the step-through.

ralph_i_el
08-17-2021, 10:41 AM

Bruh there's a guy that plays at the park near me that meets that description, but he also looks and acts like DJ Khaled.

HoopsNY
08-17-2021, 10:52 AM

lmao

HoopsNY
08-17-2021, 10:54 AM
Bruh there's a guy that plays at the park near me that meets that description, but he also looks and acts like DJ Khaled.

Haha, that's the best. I love DJ Khaled personality types. Always feelin positive around them.

ralph_i_el
08-17-2021, 04:54 PM
Haha, that's the best. I love DJ Khaled personality types. Always feelin positive around them.

Same. This guy talks trash, backs it up, and everyone is all smiles.

Charlie Sheen
08-18-2021, 02:18 PM
I was an ac green type. 99% of my touches came from getting a rebound.

I wanted to be karl malone and demoralize people with a jumper that never seemed to miss.