PDA

View Full Version : Is ten finals all that great really? B. Russell made 12.

Honor Boost
08-17-2021, 07:18 PM
BR6 attended in twelve finals settings so how is LeBron's ten finals settings so nice in the end? 12 beats 10 in my eyes and the eyes of math addition. Is LeBron's ten finals over played out? Magic and Kareem also attended to ten finals.

BR6@12
LBJ23@10

8Ball
08-17-2021, 07:34 PM
12 finals in a 8 team league is not as impressive as 10 finals in a 30 team league.

12 finals with only 2 playoff series is not as impressive as 10 finals in 4 playoff series.

You call this playoffs? This is closer to a playin tournament for the finals. These were your playoffs in majority of the 60s.

https://i.ibb.co/F8hmDt2/Screen-Shot-2021-08-17-at-7-36-25-PM.png

Manny98
08-17-2021, 07:40 PM
Rings is all that matters in my eyes

You could make 50 finals for all I care, don't mean shit if you don't have the championship to show for it

Bronbron23
08-17-2021, 07:50 PM
12 finals in a 8 team league is not as impressive as 10 finals in a 30 team league.

12 finals with only 2 playoff series is not as impressive as 10 finals in 4 playoff series.

You call this playoffs? This is closer to a playin tournament for the finals. These were your playoffs in majority of the 60s.

https://i.ibb.co/F8hmDt2/Screen-Shot-2021-08-17-at-7-36-25-PM.png

I always find it dumb when people say this shit. Apparently the nba was watered down because it added new teams in the 90's which would have lasting effects till this day but it dosn't get any less watered down than 8 teams. Plus there may be more teams now but how many are actually a threat to win it all? Maybe 3 or 4? The rest of the teams are just there to be there. It may as well be a 8 team league.

Axe
08-17-2021, 08:43 PM

You could make 50 finals for all I care, don't mean shit if you don't have the championship to show for it
Reminds me that the lakers are the biggest losers in the finals too, even more during the jurassic 60s.

3ba11
08-17-2021, 09:24 PM

Exactly.. Finals appearances are conference-dependant.. Only winning them matters.. Who cares about dominating a weak conference if you can't dominate the LEAGUE

ELITEpower23
08-17-2021, 09:44 PM
Exactly.. Finals appearances are conference-dependant.. Only winning them matters.. Who cares about dominating a weak conference if you can't dominate the LEAGUE

+1

And for that matter, who cares about dominating your conference six times when you can dominate it ten times :oldlol: Check mate

Bronbron23
08-17-2021, 10:29 PM
+1

And for that matter, who cares about dominating your conference six times when you can dominate it ten times :oldlol: Check mate

You missed the point buddy. Mj was in the stronger conference and bron was in the weaker one. If bron was in the stronger conference like mj he would of dominated it 4 times instead of 10. Still great just not as great as mj.

SATAN
08-17-2021, 10:32 PM
:facepalm

coastalmarker99
08-18-2021, 05:34 AM
You missed the point buddy. Mj was in the stronger conference and bron was in the weaker one. If bron was in the stronger conference like mj he would of dominated it 4 times instead of 10. Still great just not as great as mj.

You don't win titles by winning the Eastern Conference. No one here is propping up Bron's 10 Eastern Conference titles as if that makes him superior to MJ, so Eastern Conference difficulty is irrelevant. The question is always who the best squads were that you had to beat.

And after IT got hurt, the best teams MJ had to beat in the East were the Knicks and the Pacers. Teams that never really did jack shit

When MJ retired in '93 and then again in '98, did any of those tough Eastern Conference opponents proceed to win titles?

Hell the Bulls in 1994 replaced Jordan with ****ing Pete Myers and they still took the Knicks to 7 games.

And it can be easily argued if not for a bad call at the end of game 5 in that second-round series that the 1994 Bulls would have won the series in 6 games and then gone on to beat the Pacers in the ECF.

Axe
08-18-2021, 05:44 AM
Amazingly, mj's six rings is thrice the amount of wilt's rings. That is irregardless of competition.

Sulico
08-18-2021, 07:23 AM
Every success maters.

If we award points :

Championship - 6 points
Finals - 4 points
Conf. finals - 3
2nd round - 2
Making playoffs - 1

Then we have
Lebron - 58 ponts
Magic - 53 points
Jordan - 49 points

But since Bill Russel had to play 1 less round we should substract 1 point from this scale and give 5 points for championship, 3 points for making finals and so on.

Then Bill Russell would have - 59 points

Which is one point more than what Lebron have and that is why I still have Russel as my all time #1.
Lebron clearly not done yet though.

KAJ trumps everybody with more than 60 points, but he was not the best player on his team for a lot of his playoffs, so I don't count him as contender for #1 spot.

Manny98
08-18-2021, 07:30 AM
Every success maters.

If we award points :

Championship - 6 points
Finals - 4 points
Conf. finals - 3
2nd round - 2
Making playoffs - 1

Then we have
Lebron - 58 ponts
Magic - 53 points
Jordan - 49 points

But since Bill Russel had to play 1 less round we should substract 1 point from this scale and give 5 points for championship, 3 points for making finals and so on.

Which is one point more than what Lebron have and that is why I still have Russel as my all time #1.

KAJ trumps everybody with more than 60 points, but he was not the best player on his team for a lot of his playoffs, so I don't count him as contender for #1 spot.

Nope anything less than a championship is a failure, any athlete ever would agree on this

LeBron said himself that he would rather miss the playoffs altogether than make the finals and lose

LeBron stans are the only fanbase that I have ever encountered in any sport that make out that finishing second is a accomplishment that should be celebrated :facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
08-18-2021, 07:59 AM
So in all of NBA history there is only one great player. Thank you internet.

Sulico
08-18-2021, 10:14 AM
Nope anything less than a championship is a failure, any athlete ever would agree on this

LeBron said himself that he would rather miss the playoffs altogether than make the finals and lose

LeBron stans are the only fanbase that I have ever encountered in any sport that make out that finishing second is a accomplishment that should be celebrated :facepalm

I am an ex-athlete and I personally know a ton of athletes including 3 olympic champions.

Non of us would ever agree on this.

I guess you are sith, since only they deal in absolutes, as we all know.

8Ball
08-18-2021, 10:21 AM
I am an ex-athlete and I personally know a ton of athletes including 3 olympic champions.

Manny98 is 18 years old. Remember that.

He's young and changes his mind often. Still developing hormones.

Manny98
08-18-2021, 10:26 AM
Kobe Bryant - “Second place just means you’re the first loser,”

It doesn't matter if you've finished 2nd or 30th if you didn't finish first then you've lost

dankok8
08-18-2021, 10:30 AM
Russell also has 11 titles compared to 4 titles for Lebron so let's just pump the brakes on this comparison.

Would the average playoffs really be that much easier for the top seed today if they just had to play the Conference Finals + Finals? Not really because those are the most difficult opponents. Sure the playoffs are shorter reducing the chance of injury/fatigue but the reality is that the 60's NBA was insanely physical and the top stars carried a heavy load in terms of minutes throughout the season so it evens out.

8Ball
08-18-2021, 10:31 AM
Russell also has 11 titles compared to 4 titles for Lebron so let's just pump the brakes on this comparison.

Would the average playoffs really be that much easier for the top seed today if they just had to play the Conference Finals + Finals? Not really because those are the most difficult opponents. Sure the playoffs are shorter reducing the chance of injury/fatigue but the reality is that the 60's NBA was insanely physical and the top stars carried a heavy load in terms of minutes throughout the season so it evens out.

LeBron would love to win 1 series and make the finals. Less wear and tear on the body. That's less variance to deal with. Less potential injuries.

dankok8
08-18-2021, 10:34 AM
LeBron would love to win 1 series and make the finals. Less wear and tear on the body. That's less variance to deal with. Less potential injuries.

Yea but on the other hand he's playing 43 mpg in the regular season over 82 games and taking brutal hits from opponents in the 60's. And of course has no benefits of modern medicine, training, nutrition, footwear etc.

ELITEpower23
08-18-2021, 11:14 AM
Manny98 is 18 years old. Remember that.

He's young and changes his mind often. Still developing hormones.

I see, makes sense. Flip-flopping confusion. Talks to talk, stands for nothing. Youth is wasted on the young.

ELITEpower23
08-18-2021, 11:15 AM

Careful on the title talks...Russell doubled MJ. Slippery slope m8

Airupthere
08-18-2021, 11:16 AM
I won't even have a problem if people put Bill ahead of Jordan in their lists. I respect what he and the Celtics have done during those years. Funny how bronsexuals just have to shit on everyone, even Bill's accomplishments.

Bronbron23
08-18-2021, 01:55 PM
You don't win titles by winning the Eastern Conference. No one here is propping up Bron's 10 Eastern Conference titles as if that makes him superior to MJ, so Eastern Conference difficulty is irrelevant. The question is always who the best squads were that you had to beat.

And after IT got hurt, the best teams MJ had to beat in the East were the Knicks and the Pacers. Teams that never really did jack shit

When MJ retired in '93 and then again in '98, did any of those tough Eastern Conference opponents proceed to win titles?

Hell the Bulls in 1994 replaced Jordan with ****ing Pete Myers and they still took the Knicks to 7 games.

And it can be easily argued if not for a bad call at the end of game 5 in that second-round series that the 1994 Bulls would have won the series in 6 games and then gone on to beat the Pacers in the ECF.

You can try to dissect it all u want but the fact is the bulls went from one of the greatest teams ever to a second round loser when mj left. Plus the year after that in 94 the bulls were a .500 team before mj returned. There was a good chance they weren't even gonna make the playoffs but when mj returned they went 13-4 in the final 17 games.

ELITEpower23
08-18-2021, 01:58 PM

Bingo

Sarcastic
08-19-2021, 03:23 AM
Every success maters.

If we award points :

Championship - 6 points
Finals - 4 points
Conf. finals - 3
2nd round - 2
Making playoffs - 1

Then we have
Lebron - 58 ponts
Magic - 53 points
Jordan - 49 points

Your scaling is off. The way you have it, making the finals twice and losing is worth more than 1 ring, which is completely false. It should be like 20 points for a ring, if making the finals is worth 4.

For example the Buffalo Bills would trade all 4 of their Super Bowl loses for just 1 ring.

nayte
08-19-2021, 03:39 AM
Your scaling is off. The way you have it, making the finals twice and losing is worth more than 1 ring, which is completely false. It should be like 20 points for a ring, if making the finals is worth 4.

For example the Buffalo Bills would trade all 4 of their Super Bowl loses for just 1 ring.

Agree with this. While no doubt making the finals is a great accomplishment but I'm sure 99 percent of them want to win the chip. Take this year for example we saw that Book and c.p where so disappointed not to win. Maybe but not sure that they are patting themselves on the back for making the finals

nayte
08-19-2021, 03:41 AM

To be fair you get medals coming in second or third so not sure if it applies to other sports

Axe
08-19-2021, 03:49 AM
Let's not forget that kong lost b2b finals twice. Having four finals mvps with three different teams is great but the former is kinda alarming for an atg.

HylianNightmare
08-19-2021, 04:00 AM
If Russell leage was weak for such little teams is an argument, then Lebron's twam hopping deck stacking must also be a counter argument