PDA

View Full Version : Why did midgets feast in the NBA in the 90’s?

GrayGoat
08-27-2021, 08:06 PM
It’s strange that the 90’s is considered the toughest era yet time shows these midget players feasted. (Bogues, Spudd, Barkley)

coastalmarker99
08-27-2021, 08:20 PM
It’s strange that the 90’s is considered the toughest era yet time shows these midget players feasted. (Bogues, Spudd, Barkley)

Steve Kerr: ‘There’s no way I could have played in the NBA today’

“Just watching our guys and how talented they are and how talented Houston is, there’s no way I could have played in the NBA today,”

Kerr said Monday during Game 1 of the 2018 WCF. “I came around at the right time, 20 years ago.”

NBA players are quicker, stronger, and more talented than ever, so Kerr probably isn’t exaggerating.

Kerr, who played in the NBA from 1988 to 2003, was listed at a meager 6-foot-3, 175 pounds and wasn’t very athletic, so it’s difficult to imagine how he would hold up against modern NBA athletes.

Good thing he doesn’t have to worry about that — he was plenty good enough for his own era when he was a key role player on five NBA championship teams.

coastalmarker99
08-27-2021, 08:24 PM
On Thursday Isiah Thomas, who was speaking with Chris Broussard of Fox Sports, all but renounced Jordan of his GOAT status.

Making the case for today's stars as vastly superior athletes to the ones Jordan and Thomas were playing against, effectively saying Jordan wouldn't have stood out as much had he been forced to play against the likes of LeBron James or Kevin Durant.

"I think this generation of players is not getting enough credit for what they're doing," Thomas said. "Because the athletes that are in this generation are so far superior to what was in my generation.

When we were playing Jordan was the best athlete that we had ever seen, but from an athletic standpoint, there are like 10 or 11 guys in the NBA right now with Jordan's athleticism.

We didn't have that back then. With what Kevin Durant and LeBron are doing, if you put them back in the era of the '80s, with their talent, their athleticism and their skill, who's the GOAT?"

coastalmarker99
08-27-2021, 08:28 PM
Jordan was making an impassioned plea before the competition committee that had gathered to consider rules changes to enliven the NBA game.

Jordan spoke passionately. If teams were able to play zone defences, he said, he never would have had the career he did.

But there was one that might be bothersome, the zone defense. It was the topic du jour at last month's All-Star Game, and Jordan was making an impassioned plea before the competition committee that had gathered to consider rules changes to enliven the NBA game (in 2001).

Jordan spoke passionately. If teams were able to play zone defenses, he said, he never would have had the career he did.

So now, perhaps the Michael Jordan era finally is over.

A select committee on rules recommended last week that the NBA eliminate illegal-defence guidelines, which effectively would allow teams to play any defense, including a zone.

The proposals also include a defensive three-second rule to prevent teams from stationing a big center, like Dikembe Mutombo, at the basket all game.

Basically, zone defence was completely illegal + defenders had to be within arm's length of their man, or directly double-teaming the person with the ball.

For example, the way that teams like Miami and Toronto "built a wall" against Giannis (basically everybody helped on him) would have been illegal. For this reason, isolation play was very effective.

coastalmarker99
08-27-2021, 08:35 PM
EXPOSING HORRIBLE 90’S NBA DEFENSES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONvMKkIpwA&t=4s

ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE DEFENSE 1991 NBA FINALS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STr5YGeG4TA

GOOD GOD 90’S NBA DEFENSE WAS HORRIBLE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcktdn1WnaU

coastalmarker99
08-27-2021, 08:38 PM
1996 Dennis Rodman:

"This league is so filtered and watered down, we can beat anybody with our eyes closed, pretty much" a look back on the NBAs late 90s 'expansion era'

One of the interesting periods for the NBA was in the late 90s - David Stern's efforts to take advantage of basketball's growing popularity had resulted in the league adding six new franchises after 1988 .

These expansion franchises were able to acquire lower-level rotation players through the expansion draft, but often times the back of their rosters were populated with players from the CBA (Continental Basketball Association) or overseas leagues.

What's worse, the changing salary structure of the league made it harder for them to afford talent. Many of them struggled to compete with established teams that already had experienced veterans locked into their payroll.

As a result, veteran players and coaches began to feel as though the bottom of the league was "watered down" or lacking in talent and skill compared to previous eras .

To illustrate the parity gap.. in the '96-97 season , ten teams were able to roll off 50+ wins (including 69-win Chicago, 64-win Utah, 61-win Miami) .

In the 2018-19 season, there were eight 50+ win teams (with 60-win Milwaukee as the league leader)

These people's opinions tell part of the story, from an interesting time in the league's history:

Charles Barkley and Larry Bird have expressed comparable sentiments about the way the league has thinned out; Bird even used the Jazz as an example, and people in the Jazz camp have a hard time disagreeing.

"You look at the overall picture, it is diluted to some extent," said Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, whose team is in Los Angeles preparing to meet the Lakers on Friday night.

"You can get by with three great players on a team, and have a chance to win it all.

Before, you had to have four or five great players, and some good players around them."

What Boone worries about is talk of even more expansion. He says the NBA is already a league of guys who can run and jump but don't know how to play the game.

"What I'm concerned about is the lack of good shooters," he said. "Guys are more athletic now, but they're not fundamentally sound. How much more expansion can they do?"

coastalmarker99
08-27-2021, 08:46 PM
The 1980s was the toughest era in NBA history.

In the 1990s due to the effects of expansion making the NBA weak teams could get by with three great players on a team, and have a chance to win it all.

While in the 1980's you had to have four or five great players, and some good players around them to even stand a chance of winning it all.

If you place the 1990's Bulls in the 1980's

They at max only get 3 titles not 6.

steezy
08-27-2021, 08:47 PM
It's well known in real life (outside of internet forums) that today's athletes are bigger, faster and stronger. Goes for almost every sport. Shawn Kemp would be Aaron Gordon. Gary Payton would a slightly better version of Pat Bev. Wilt would be similar to Dwight Howard. Bill Russell like Nerlens Noel.

Jordan is one of the only players that could hang in today's game. 99% wouldn't even make it past the G League today.

j3lademaster
08-27-2021, 09:06 PM
It's well known in real life (outside of internet forums) that today's athletes are bigger, faster and stronger. Goes for almost every sport. Shawn Kemp would be Aaron Gordon. Gary Payton would a slightly better version of Pat Bev. Wilt would be similar to Dwight Howard. Bill Russell like Nerlens Noel.

Jordan is one of the only players that could hang in today's game. 99% wouldn't even make it past the G League today.basketball, like any sport, gets better with time; but can you imagine Magic with a license to carry the ball to the moon with open lanes surrounded by shooters? And Bird’s a bad example, dude is the perfect 4 for the modern game.

kawhileonard2
08-27-2021, 09:48 PM
The athletes in the 90’s were much better and athletic. This era everyone gets hurt.

Bronbron23
08-27-2021, 10:01 PM

Your such an unaware jack ass. This is the shortest the leagues been in 40 years:facepalm

Mauzah
08-27-2021, 10:23 PM

Jordan is one of the only players that could hang in today's game. 99% wouldn't even make it past the G League today.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/cQhWrl1CrGD04/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f21a40a427e096dc7a21c06c93c5 49b6cc7dd17f&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

theman93
08-27-2021, 10:32 PM
Why did JJ Barea feast in the 2011 Finals?

coastalmarker99
08-27-2021, 10:36 PM
Why did JJ Barea feast in the 2011 Finals?

JJ Barea didn't feast at all in the 2011 finals.

As he only averaged 8PPG on 38 percent shooting in those finals.

Round Mound
08-27-2021, 10:36 PM
Barkley may have been small for his position but even passed his prime, overweight and carrying injuries he still played great against Tim Duncan (a player that won over Shaq-Kobe, Lebron etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6LTqb-Gn8

HoopsNY
08-28-2021, 12:23 AM
Isaiah Thomas is 5'9" and played in today's game. Earl Boykins was 5'5" and played until 2012.

Barkley out-rebounded Moses Malone in his rookie year in the playoffs and was a rebounding machine in a league with guys like Ewing, Hakeem, Kareem, Moses, Robinson, Shaq, Rodman, Duncan, etc.

This isn't some strange phenomenon. Short(er) players can make it to the league, too.

HoopsNY
08-28-2021, 12:23 AM
EXPOSING HORRIBLE 90’S NBA DEFENSES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONvMKkIpwA&t=4s

ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE DEFENSE 1991 NBA FINALS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STr5YGeG4TA

GOOD GOD 90’S NBA DEFENSE WAS HORRIBLE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcktdn1WnaU

Cherry picking defensive plays. You can't seriously tell me you watched the early 90s Knicks defense and believed their defense to be inferior to any of today's teams.

3ba11
08-28-2021, 12:25 AM
Jordan was making an impassioned plea before the competition committee that had gathered to consider rules changes to enliven the NBA game.

Jordan spoke passionately. If teams were able to play zone defences, he said, he never would have had the career he did.

But there was one that might be bothersome, the zone defense. It was the topic du jour at last month's All-Star Game, and Jordan was making an impassioned plea before the competition committee that had gathered to consider rules changes to enliven the NBA game (in 2001).

Jordan spoke passionately. If teams were able to play zone defenses, he said, he never would have had the career he did.

So now, perhaps the Michael Jordan era finally is over.

A select committee on rules recommended last week that the NBA eliminate illegal-defence guidelines, which effectively would allow teams to play any defense, including a zone.

The proposals also include a defensive three-second rule to prevent teams from stationing a big center, like Dikembe Mutombo, at the basket all game.

Basically, zone defence was completely illegal + defenders had to be within arm's length of their man, or directly double-teaming the person with the ball.

For example, the way that teams like Miami and Toronto "built a wall" against Giannis (basically everybody helped on him) would have been illegal. For this reason, isolation play was very effective.

^^^ Jordan said that in 2000, when he thought it would be a true zone like college - once the new rules were introduced in 2005 and it included defensive 3 seconds with a hand-check ban, Jordan said he'd score 100 and everyone said he'd average 40 up to this day

So quit posting that debunked garbage

3ba11
08-28-2021, 12:30 AM
Steve Kerr: ‘There’s no way I could have played in the NBA today’

“Just watching our guys and how talented they are and how talented Houston is, there’s no way I could have played in the NBA today,”

Kerr said Monday during Game 1 of the 2018 WCF. “I came around at the right time, 20 years ago.”

NBA players are quicker, stronger, and more talented than ever, so Kerr probably isn’t exaggerating.

Kerr, who played in the NBA from 1988 to 2003, was listed at a meager 6-foot-3, 175 pounds and wasn’t very athletic, so it’s difficult to imagine how he would hold up against modern NBA athletes.

Good thing he doesn’t have to worry about that — he was plenty good enough for his own era when he was a key role player on five NBA championship teams.

Kerr thought that in the 80's too as a rookie, so he always says that (watch to the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDjgBrNWL0c

3ba11
08-28-2021, 12:32 AM
On Thursday Isiah Thomas, who was speaking with Chris Broussard of Fox Sports, all but renounced Jordan of his GOAT status.

Making the case for today's stars as vastly superior athletes to the ones Jordan and Thomas were playing against, effectively saying Jordan wouldn't have stood out as much had he been forced to play against the likes of LeBron James or Kevin Durant.

"I think this generation of players is not getting enough credit for what they're doing," Thomas said. "Because the athletes that are in this generation are so far superior to what was in my generation.

When we were playing Jordan was the best athlete that we had ever seen, but from an athletic standpoint, there are like 10 or 11 guys in the NBA right now with Jordan's athleticism.

We didn't have that back then. With what Kevin Durant and LeBron are doing, if you put them back in the era of the '80s, with their talent, their athleticism and their skill, who's the GOAT?"

i've never seen anyone do the things MJ did - his hangtime is unmatched in history, and that includes jumpers or layups - show me a player that hangs or floats through the air like MJ - there's no one

and there's never been a 6'6" player or guard with big man hands... so that's another superior talent of MJ's... his quickness is unmatched for anyone 6'5" or taller in the history of basketball... He's the only player that commanded doubles as the ballhandler and post player... I can go on and on... Isiah is just lying becuase he hates Jordan for making him his bitch

HoopsNY
08-28-2021, 12:33 AM
Kerr thought that in the 80's too as a rookie, so he always says that (watch to the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDjgBrNWL0c

Never thought I'd say it, but 3ball actually ether'd this one.

3ba11
08-28-2021, 12:35 AM
Never thought I'd say it, but 3ball actually ether'd this one.

I ether you guys everyday quit pretending.. anytime someone says "1-9" - that's them surrendering and losing

There's no argument that you can say I lost without doing some serious digging, whereas there's dozens of one-liners that I could say right now that you guys can't refute.. you'll just say hurrr durrr 1-9 like a developmentally-challenged kid

HylianNightmare
08-28-2021, 12:58 AM
The skilled era

outofstomach
08-28-2021, 04:39 AM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/cQhWrl1CrGD04/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f21a40a427e096dc7a21c06c93c5 49b6cc7dd17f&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
:lol