PDA

View Full Version : All dirty first team?

Kblaze8855
08-28-2021, 10:11 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2108290739500296.jpeg

Kblaze8855
08-28-2021, 10:14 PM
I’m not sure it would be my team. Malone was probably dirtier than Rodman in his way. More generally dangerous.

And I guess Spurs fans have to get back to defending Bowen like they were on here 15-20 years ago.

https://youtu.be/ohDKbaYnGVA

Guy who made that didn’t even get many of his incidents. I think he got a foot under Steve Francis twice one season.

HoopsNY
08-28-2021, 10:31 PM
Stockton wasn't a dirty player. Gritty? Sure. But I wouldn't classify him as a dirty player by any stretch.

Full Court
08-28-2021, 10:40 PM
My thoughts exactly. What's Stockton doing on an all-dirty team? And not Malone??

Kblaze8855
08-28-2021, 10:48 PM
Everyone used to call Stockton dirty. Players and fans too. It just kinda got forgotten I guess.

https://youtu.be/HPyALLbbyNw

Kblaze8855
08-28-2021, 10:51 PM
Some replies in a poll of 2200 sports fans in 2002 who….believe it or not….ranked Stockton the 5th dirtiest athlete in sports history:

.Why is there no mention of John Stockton, pound-for-pound, the dirtiest athlete in professional sports? This guy sets more illegal screens than any other player. If this guy was six inches taller, he'd have set the record for most personal fouls. But he knows he can get away with a hard elbow to the torso, so he does it to everyone. By the way, if John Stockton is No. 1, then his pal in crime, Karl Malone, is a sure No. 2.

Adam Hudes
Los Angeles

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nhl/2002/0429/photo/stockton.jpg

John Stockton, left, gets away with a lot just by being John Stockton.

John Stockton, hands down, is the dirtiest player ever. Of course, you never hear about him playing dirty, because, well, he's John Stockton. But ask any NBAer from the past two decades this question, and they'll all give you the same answer. If he comes back next season, I hope TNT or ESPN broadcasts one game where the camera doesn't leave him. I would love for everyone in America to see just how dirty Stockton can be.

Steve Harrell
Tampa, Fla.Made a living of setting screens low and then rolling off and throwing the ball to a wide-open Malone because the defender is laying on the floor holding his knee.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-28-2021, 10:53 PM
Maybe not first team, but Chris Paul and Zaza Pacuchillia should get an honorable mention.

Players who slide under shooters are the dirtiest. Bowen made a habit of that.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-28-2021, 10:57 PM
Good list. Draymond green deserves a mention for this era. Also Dwight Howard, not really as a superstar but became really dirty as a veteran role player.

HoopsNY
08-28-2021, 10:58 PM
Some replies in a poll of 2200 sports fans in 2002 who….believe it or not….ranked Stockton the 5th dirtiest athlete in sports history:

I'm getting old it seems.

Kblaze8855
08-28-2021, 11:07 PM
Just one of those weird things. Players all called him dirty but it was for things less obvious than some bigs. He came in second to Rodman in a 29 player poll on dirtiest in the league in 97:

Dennis Rodman and John Stockton would seem to be about as
different as two human beings--much less two basketball
players--could be. But according to our panel of 29 NBA players,
coaches and executives, the two share something on the hardwood:
a penchant for taking things a bit too far. We asked our
panelists to name the league's dirtiest player, and to no one's
surprise, Chicago's Rodman came in first, with 10 votes--but
Stockton's five votes, good for second place, might raise a few
eyebrows. "He's sneaky," said one assistant coach, "always
grabbing, pulling and tugging. He holds as he sets picks."

A lot of those picks are for teammate Karl Malone, who earned
three votes of his own. "He's a cheap-shot artist," said one
assistant coach, who, probably for reasons of his own safety,
requested anonymity. Elbowing his way between Stockton and
Malone for third was New York's Charles Oakley

Druckenmiller
08-28-2021, 11:29 PM
Definitely gotta get Dwight Coward on this list. That pimp is outta control. He doesn’t even try to play basketball these days.

highwhey
08-28-2021, 11:36 PM
and first team coach would be popavich.

Round Mound
08-29-2021, 12:30 AM
Bill Laimbeer is the MVP of that lineup

pandiani17
08-29-2021, 05:12 AM
I’m not sure it would be my team. Malone was probably dirtier than Rodman in his way. More generally dangerous.

And I guess Spurs fans have to get back to defending Bowen like they were on here 15-20 years ago.

https://youtu.be/ohDKbaYnGVA

Guy who made that didn’t even get many of his incidents. I think he got a foot under Steve Francis twice one season.

I think he did it to Vince Carter in his New Jersey Nets days.

tpols
08-29-2021, 05:43 AM
Imagine being 5'10 170 lbs in the 90s NBA. You have to be scrappy to survive in that environment. I remember the "dream team" documentary the players were over in Italy and fans thought Stockton was a tourist. They ran pranks fooling fans he was a player because of how small he was. Stockton was a wolf in sheep's clothing.

ralph_i_el
08-29-2021, 09:11 AM
Dwade coming off the bench

Manny98
08-29-2021, 09:28 AM
Patrick Beverley as 6th man

j3lademaster
08-29-2021, 11:13 AM
I think he did it to Vince Carter in his New Jersey Nets days.If I remember correctly, it was Bowen repeatedly stepping under Vince's shot. Vince, to his credit, actually let it go the first 2(?) times, and then gets fed up and tries to fight Bowen.

Bowen and Karl Malone were the 2 players who were out there trying to hurt people. Karl famously muy thai'd Isiah in the head for 40 stitches and karate kicked Duncan in the face. Rodman's dirtiness gets overblown by kicking a cameraman and his antics with Malone in the finals. Other than that Rodman, while dirty, at least wasn't out there trying to hurt people. Stockton was a different kind of 'dirty'. He was just crafty and knew how to get away with shit with the refs. No different than how Kobe and MJ would play dirty.

j3lademaster
08-29-2021, 11:14 AM
Patrick Beverley as 6th manBev is definitely dirtier than Stockton.

jayfan
08-29-2021, 12:47 PM
Rick Mahorn hasn't even been mentioned yet?

Wow, this place is so young.

Horatio33
08-29-2021, 01:35 PM
Dwade coming off the bench

Definitely he was always involved in off the ball skullduggery.

Loco 50
08-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Malone was definitely more dirty than Rodman.

Shaq, while not dirtier than Laimbeer, deserves an honorable mention especially during his peak weight Laker days.

My dude Bruce Lee Bowen gets a bad rap. Simply wrong place, wrong time a few games. :dancin

Stockton was lb for lb the dirtiest sob in the game. Was never happier with a Spur the day Rodman picked his little ass up and tossed him.

Aside from the day he blew up Harden I don't really recall Artest being dirty. Physical yeah, but not dirty. Harden deserved it anyway.

SaintzFury13
08-29-2021, 01:55 PM
Rick Mahorn hasn't even been mentioned yet?

Wow, this place is so young.

I'm pretty sure most of the people here don't know who that is.

SaintzFury13
08-29-2021, 01:56 PM
I can see Grayson Allen being on the list one day.

ShawkFactory
08-29-2021, 03:10 PM
Bill Laimbeer is the MVP of that lineup

I would have lost my mind playing against him.

Round Mound
08-29-2021, 05:15 PM
I would have lost my mind playing against him.

True. I've never seen a dirier player. Especially if you where a star or superstar he would hit you no matter what.

Reggie43
08-29-2021, 06:44 PM
https://youtu.be/1-aNV_vdo1A

Jasper
08-30-2021, 10:58 AM
I can see Grayson Allen being on the list one day.

I hope !!!\
Stockton was not dirty not one bit ... he played position bball and Kerr as an example could not handle that shit.

Zeke learned from Laimbum and was sneaky dirty as all hell. Should be on the LIST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u3Xr-sVR5Y