PDA

View Full Version : Wilt speaks about his legendary beef with VBK that cost the Lakers the title in 1969

coastalmarker99
08-29-2021, 10:16 PM
The Butch-Wilt feud polarized not only the 1969 Lakers but the town.

Chamberlain used to rip Van Breda Kolff in the Herald Examiner, which became known as “Wilt’s paper.”

VBK used to rip Wilt in The Times, which became known as “Butch’s paper.” Heaven knows what might have been possible if they’d had minicams in those days.

“We were said to be the greatest assemblage of superstars ever,” says Hawkins.

“We were never a team. Wilt and Elgin never blended in their styles of play.

Jerry was imperturbable. He did what he did despite Wilt’s presence.

Chamberlain says in reply to Hawkins comments

Chamberlain says.

“I name those three guys because to me, they were somewhat of the culprits.

When I was with San Francisco, I understand I had a chance to come to the Lakers but the general manager had a private vote and they vetoed it.

And I fully understand that. Because I was the star of the NBA.

Elgin Baylor was maybe second to me, and Jerry West was closing in.

And I don’t think they wanted anybody to top their situation. Plus, monetarily there might have been a difference.

“I was the only one asked and forced to change his game.

They didn’t ask Jerry West to change his game.

They didn’t ask Elgin Baylor to change his game.

“The record books can prove I changed my game. I’m the only guy who could hit a home run who was asked to hit a single because it would help my teammates by not making them look bad.

“They’d say, ‘Elgin drives to the basket, so get Wilt out of the middle.’ What’s the difference who puts the ball in the basket?

If I’m putting the ball in the basket at a higher percentage than anyone in the game, I belong in the middle, not Elgin.

I gave up scoring a lot more points to pass the ball to the likes of Keith Erickson.

And I’m not down on Keith Erickson, I’m just using his name.

“Then they’ve got this . . . idiot of a coach. He wasn’t an idiot as a coach, he was a good coach. He was just an idiot as far as personalities were concerned. It was just hard for me to look up to a man who’d go out and get drunk every night. I had no respect for the man.”

coastalmarker99
08-29-2021, 10:19 PM
The Infamous 1969 finals game seven

With 5:19 to go and the Celtic lead down to 103-96, Chamberlain left with a sore right knee.

Although Russell would later accuse him of having “copped out,” none of the Lakers players that Wilt played with ever did.

“That same knee he complained about gave way the next season,” Tommy Hawkins says. “Wilt was not one to shirk from the challenge.

“I was sitting there. Wilt put some ice on it. Van Breda Kolff was out of his mind. He felt short of death, nobody should come out of the game.

“Then when Wilt asked to come back, Bill said, ‘Forget it, we don’t need you.’

“They were talking to each other, sure. Van Breda Kolff was furious. He was absolutely livid, but he was livid most of the time.

Wilt was angry because Van Breda Kolff, in making that decision, had labelled what Wilt had done.

Wilt didn’t understand how Bill thought he could come out of a game like that for the hell of it.”

The Lakers got to within 103-102 and had several shots to go ahead--West and Erickson missed--but didn’t.

With 1:17 left, Nelson hit his famous 15-footer. It hit the back of the rim, bounced high into the air and came down in the basket. The Lakers lost, 108-106.

“I tore part of my patella tendon, so it wasn’t some little pull,” Chamberlain says. “I played with injuries and pain all my life.

“I come out to get some ice and go back in the game. And I find out he isn’t going to let me go back in the game.

“I asked him 2-3 times. He said, ‘No, you sit down and shut up.’ Those were his words to me.

“What I’ve always felt sorry about, my teammates knew I was the best center in the game, but no, they didn’t come to my defense.

“They didn’t come over and say, ‘Wilt, can you play?’ No, they were willing to accept Mel Counts. I think one of the reasons was they harboured a little desire to win without Wilt, too.

“The more I think about that game, the angrier I get.”