PDA

View Full Version : Where would Jordan be ranked all-time nowadays had he stayed retired after 1993

coastalmarker99
08-31-2021, 07:09 AM
Let's say Jordan never returned to basketball after winning his third ring would he still be seen as the GOAT by the general public nowadays.

He would finish his career with this:

3x finals MVP

3x MVP

DPOY

6x all defensive

8x all NBA

Would that still be enough for you to call him the GOAT nowadays?

Jordan would have better averages and advanced stats all across the board than basically every other player in NBA history.

RS: 32.3 PTS, 6.3 REB, 5.9 AST, 3.0 TOV, 2.7 STL, 1.0 BLK, 58.9% TS, 10.0 BPM, 29.8 PER, 121 ORtg, 103 DRtg

PO: 34.7 PTS, 6.7 REB, 6.6 AST, 3.3 TOV, 2.3 STL, 1.0 BLK, 58.1% TS, 11.8 BPM, 29.6 PER, 119 ORtg, 105 DRtg

coastalmarker99
08-31-2021, 07:10 AM
MAY 1992

Playboy: How close are you to the end of your basketball career?

Jordan: I’d say four years. If I make it, I make it. If I get tired of basketball sooner, I won’t make it. All this negative crap that has happened. Who needs it?

Playboy: What if Reinsdorf wanted to make it worth your while to play longer, to keep the stadium full?

Jordan: I would never play an extra year for money. I play the game because I love it. I just so happen to get paid.

If I don’t feel I still enjoy the game, I can care less what a year is worth. I’m not going to play the game just because of money.

Playboy: Somehow, it’s hard to imagine you just walking away.

Jordan: People keep saying, Well, you’re never going to be able to walk away, you’re always going to want that spotlight. All these old boxers come back, but not me. Once I walk away, I’m walking away.

I’m not going to embarrass myself coming back, like I really need that roar of the crowd to live.

It was good while it lasted. I’ve got memories of it. I don’t need it again to continue to live. That’s what my family is for.

Carbine
08-31-2021, 08:20 AM
He would be a consensus top 2 GOAT still.

He was being called the GOAT before he retired the first time. By a lot of people.

Psileas
08-31-2021, 10:55 AM
Would that still be enough for you to call him the GOAT nowadays?

No, and that's what I've been saying for many years: Jordan supposedly being in some category of his own compared even to the other GOATs is the continuation of the media/marketing-driven narrative of Jordan supposedly already being the GOAT after like 8-9 years (including a brief 2nd season), before even turning 30, despite definitely not having yet the necessarily enormous resume to back this up. How can you be the GOAT (and probably with a 50+% vote percentage at that) when players like Kareem and Russell are leading in just about all the stats considered the most important today? How do you eclipse in 8-9 years someone who's been absolutely dominant for 13+ years without a single break, especially if his career extends to 20 years? Just because of career averages after 8-9 seasons? Right, tell that to Wilt, he'd love to have a laugh, showing you his own averages after the same span.
Jordan, for some reason and unlike others, especially after him, seems to have climbed the GOATness ladder, from practically not being mentioned at all to being #1, without ever having been mentioned as, say, top-10 or top-5 or whatever. LOL, with the incredible scrutiny at everything negative that goes on today, players could only dream of having the same route. Even Jordan himself playing his career all over again wouldn't probably enjoy such a thing nowadays.

GrayGoat
08-31-2021, 10:59 AM
MJ’s toughest opponent was a glorified Dragic

Hey Yo
08-31-2021, 11:12 AM
No, and that's what I've been saying for many years: Jordan supposedly being in some category of his own compared even to the other GOATs is the continuation of the media/marketing-driven narrative of Jordan supposedly already being the GOAT after like 8-9 years (including a brief 2nd season), before even turning 30, despite definitely not having yet the necessarily enormous resume to back this up. How can you be the GOAT (and probably with a 50+% vote percentage at that) when players like Kareem and Russell are leading in just about all the stats considered the most important today? How do you eclipse in 8-9 years someone who's been absolutely dominant for 13+ years without a single break, especially if his career extends to 20 years? Just because of career averages after 8-9 seasons? Right, tell that to Wilt, he'd love to have a laugh, showing you his own averages after the same span.
Jordan, for some reason and unlike others, especially after him, seems to have climbed the GOATness ladder, from practically not being mentioned at all to being #1, without ever having been mentioned as, say, top-10 or top-5 or whatever. LOL, with the incredible scrutiny at everything negative that goes on today, players could only dream of having the same route. Even Jordan himself playing his career all over again wouldn't probably enjoy such a thing nowadays.

Jordan is in a category of his own. He's the GOAT of needing to load manage away from the league for almost 2 full seasons (in his prime) after only 7 full consecutive seasons.

FKAri
08-31-2021, 03:54 PM
Jordan: People keep saying, Well, you’re never going to be able to walk away, you’re always going to want that spotlight. All these old boxers come back, but not me. Once I walk away, I’m walking away.

I’m not going to embarrass myself coming back, like I really need that roar of the crowd to live.

It was good while it lasted. I’ve got memories of it. I don’t need it again to continue to live. That’s what my family is for.

:oldlol:

Axe
08-31-2021, 04:19 PM
Only had to retire to get away from his controversial gambling antics. How fascinating.

Axe
08-31-2021, 04:21 PM
Jordan is in a category of his own. He's the GOAT of needing to load manage away from the league for almost 2 full seasons (in his prime) after only 7 full consecutive seasons.
You're only showing us that his mere existence makes you mad. Give it a break, magat. If you're not busy whining about biden and the liberals like a lunatic, then it's him you are crying about.

90sgoat
08-31-2021, 04:23 PM
He would be even more GOAT.

Why?

Because if MJ doesn't win 6 rings, he doesn't set this unrealistic expectation that any up and coming superstar needs to go get 6 rings either.

If that happens, then people begin judging more based the eye test and skill.

Round Mound
08-31-2021, 08:08 PM
I don't go by rings as = to greatness if MJ never won a ring to me he is still the greatest player ever.

paksat
08-31-2021, 09:53 PM
I don't go by rings as = to greatness if MJ never won a ring to me he is still the greatest player ever.

hmm if jordan never won a ring yet still played through 1998 how would I feel?

I think i'd agree based on longevity stats that he's probably the best player. If we don't go by longevity I maintain that 2009 wade is the greatest player i've ever seen. Wade can score almost as much as jordan at almost the same efficiency while playing better man to man defense whilst being a much better and willing passer.

3ba11
08-31-2021, 10:29 PM
MAY 1992

Playboy: How close are you to the end of your basketball career?

Jordan: I’d say four years. If I make it, I make it. If I get tired of basketball sooner, I won’t make it. All this negative crap that has happened. Who needs it?

Playboy: What if Reinsdorf wanted to make it worth your while to play longer, to keep the stadium full?

Jordan: I would never play an extra year for money. I play the game because I love it. I just so happen to get paid.

If I don’t feel I still enjoy the game, I can care less what a year is worth. I’m not going to play the game just because of money.

Playboy: Somehow, it’s hard to imagine you just walking away.

^^^ that's Jordan in the middle of winning with no end in sight.. we never got to see him like 11' Kobe or 14' Wade - aka forced to trudge forward after failed 3-peat attempts ... But he would've - he would never have taken his ball and gone home if he lost to Barkley.. Only his unprecedented dominance and winning (41 ppg and 3-peat) allowed him the luxury to retire.

Full Court
08-31-2021, 11:01 PM
Two three peats is an incredible feat. If he hadn't come back for his second triple run, I don't think he'd be the consensus GOAT that he is. He'd probably be a big what if and still consensus top 10 of all time.

sdot_thadon
08-31-2021, 11:28 PM
^^^ that's Jordan in the middle of winning with no end in sight.. we never got to see him like 11' Kobe or 14' Wade - aka forced to trudge forward after failed 3-peat attempts ... But he would've - he would never have taken his ball and gone home if he lost to Barkley.. Only his unprecedented dominance and winning (41 ppg and 3-peat) allowed him the luxury to retire.

Except he was talking retirement before he ever won shit.