PDA

View Full Version : Barkley was robbed of the MVP in 1990.

coastalmarker99
08-31-2021, 07:30 AM
Charles Barkley 1989-90:

TS%: 66.1!!!!!!

EFG%: 60.8

TRB%: 16.7

AST%: 15.6

ORtg: 128

FG%: 60

TRB: 11.5

AST: 3.9

PPG: 25.2

He led the 76ers to a 50 and 32 record that season with not a great supporting cast around him to boot.

coastalmarker99
08-31-2021, 07:30 AM
Philadelphia Daily News - March 30, 1990

"Look at the candidates for MVP and the MVPs of the past," said Sixers swingman Derek Smith. "They've always had an all-star teammate or two. Without Charles, this basketball team is way down there."

Philadelphia Daily News - April 09, 1990

"Charles Barkley may not have been named Player of the Week or Player of the Month," said Derek Smith, "but if he's not the MVP, they ought to abolish the award and never give it out again."

Philadelphia Daily News - May 03, 1990

"What happens is, Charles gives you legitimacy just by going on the court," said Sixers general manager John Nash. "He goes out there with four other guys and you have a chance to win. But two years ago, we didn't have a complementary group that was nearly as productive.

"Some of our best games have come when he has not been the leading scorer, because even when he doesn't score, he rebounds. He always rebounds."

Said Barkley: "I can lift other guys. If that didn't work in the past, it was because there wasn't enough to lift. But I knew we had enough this year."

"He brings a spirit to me," Mahorn said. "He gets so emotional, if you're not emotional with him, he'll head-butt you, knock your head off. Sometimes you have to hold him back a little, pull in his reins, so he stays effective. But that's the way he is."

St. Paul Pioneer Press - Apr 29, 1990

Jordan is on record as saying he would vote for Charles Barkley as the MVP this season. A worthy choice, given the way Barkley has elevated both his game and his team. But Jordan says that's not why he would pick him.

"Barkley thinks he's an outcast," Jordan said, smiling. "He thinks no one admires his talents. He talks about it all the time, how he never gets any respect.

I'd like to see him get it (the MVP) so he could quit being so hard on himself." "I haven't campaigned for it and I'm not going to," Jordan said.

Miami Herald - April 15, 1990

The only thing tougher than deciding who's most deserving of NBA awards is defining exactly what each award truly means. Let me get this straight:

the MVP award goes to the best player, provided his team's a winner and he ranks high in a handful of statistical categories? Or is it really a popularity contest, reserved for those who play in Los Angeles, Chicago or New York?

MVP Award

Pick: Charles Barkley, Philadelphia

Runner-up: Michael Jordan, Chicago

The explanation: There's no sense trying to convince anyone that Barkley was better than Jordan - or Magic Johnson or Patrick Ewing, for that matter.

And I dare anyone to knock down one to build up the other.

No one can say "Jordan was good, but . . ." There's no but. Jordan was good, period. He's very deserving.

Barkley's the choice here for the simple reason he finally became the player the Sixers needed to win 50 games, much the way Wilt started passing the ball and took Philly all the way in 1967.

Barkley became more of a team player and mature leader. And at the same time, he lifted his game to the level of the elite. Check the major categories, and Barkley's name is littered all over the place - scoring, shooting percentage, rebounding, etc.

Philadelphia Daily News - April 23, 1990

Rick Mahorn says he would vote for teammate Charles Barkley as the NBA's Most Valuable Player.

"But I don't feel he'll get it, 'cause I'm here," Mahorn said after the 76ers ended their regular season yesterday with a 118-98 loss to Boston.

"People seem to see a negative side to Charles, and there are people who don't like that in a player. Then they see me playing next to him, and they don't like me, either.

"If it were up to the players, he'd be one of the top five, and without him it would have been kind of rough for this team. People don't understand that the things he can do are unbelievable.

Philadelphia Daily News - April 23, 1990

Mahorn wondered if the brawl might cost Barkley some MVP ballots, even if the media panel's votes had to be in by yesterday, even if the majority of the panel probably had decided long before last Thursday.

"Some people file their taxes at the last minute," Mahorn said. "Maybe there are people voting at the last minute, too. You never know."

Philadelphia Daily News - May 23, 1990

Charles Barkley says his reputation came back to haunt him.

That is why he says he could draw the most first-place NBA Most Valuable Player ballots (38) from a 92-member media panel and still finish second behind Magic Johnson, of the Los Angeles Lakers.

"You get stereotyped, you develop a reputation," the 76ers' captain said yesterday before undergoing magnetic resonance imaging to clarify the problem he has been having with his right shoulder and arm.

"I think this year is even more special than the other two, because of the competition," Johnson said. "I was shocked to hear I had won it . . . This makes me feel a little better. I've been sad, frustrated, upset since we lost (to Phoenix in the Western Conference semifinals).

Third-place finisher Michael Jordan, on the other hand, remains alive with the Bulls in the Eastern Conference final against Detroit.

"I seriously thought that Charles would win it because of what I believe the credentials were - to make your team better and improve the situation within a team," Jordan said.

"You look at what was expected of Philly and what they did and who was the main reason for that, and it all led to Charles Barkley."

So why didn't Barkley win?

"I'm seen as a controversial guy, I'll be a controversial guy the rest of my career," Barkley said. "So in a situation like this, if a voter likes you, he'll pick you No. 1.

But if a voter doesn't like your personality and doesn't want to put you No. 1, he might not put you No. 2, either. He'll put you lower."

pandiani17
08-31-2021, 07:45 AM
So was KG in 2003.

dankok8
08-31-2021, 09:16 AM
You could make a case MJ was robbed too. He averaged 33.6/6.9/6.3 on 60.6 %TS with 3.0 turnovers and played much better defense than Barkley. By this point he was clearly the best player on the planet.

Then again I would have gone with Magic as the winner as well. He wasn't the best player in the world but his team won 63 games compared to the Bulls 55 and the Sixers 53.

Shogon
08-31-2021, 09:40 AM
MVP is a garbage award. Always has been, always will be.

Without doing a year by year analysis, it sure does seem like the winner is "objectively" incorrect almost as much as they are "objectively" correct.

It is the top individual award in the sport and as such it should absolutely go to the top individual. In other words... the best basketball player... but like I said, it feels like it's at least half of the time that isn't the case and it has been that way maybe since the beginning. But I still think it has gotten even worse over the years.

Shaquille O'Neal has 1 MVP award. Let that sink in. The NBA and the media essentially told Shaquille O'Neal that he was the best player in the league for only 1 year of his entire career. lol. What an absolute shitshow of an award.

Round Mound
09-01-2021, 12:09 AM
Its incredibe how Chuck's FG% and 2-Point FG% Was Hiigher In Bad Teams Than In Good Teams. Only McHale rivals Barkley in that department among PFs.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-01-2021, 12:20 AM
He didn't deserve the one in 1993, Jordan did. So I guess it cancels out.

Kawhi has been robbed out of 3 mvps in my opinion (2016, 2017, 2020).

HoopsNY
09-01-2021, 12:46 AM

Hakeem deserved MVP in 1993, not Jordan or Barkley.

coastalmarker99
09-01-2021, 12:58 AM
Hakeem deserved MVP in 1993, not Jordan or Barkley.

Hakeem was robbed of the DPOY award in 1988 and the MVP in 1993.

Hakeem in 1993 just dominated the game on both ends in an insane way.

He had to do it all for the Rockets and to get them a record of 55-27.

Proves that he was the MVP that season.

Sportal
09-01-2021, 04:30 AM

Shut up.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-01-2021, 04:37 AM
Uhhhh Jordan deserved every MVP in the 90s outside of 1994, 1995 and 1998.

Everybody with half a brain knows that. He's Michael Jordan hahahaha

HBK_Kliq_2
09-01-2021, 04:38 AM
Shut up.

2016 - better net rating then 73 win warriors

2017 - #1 in RAPTOR

2020 - similar total mins as giannis but much better on/off stats and in the wild wild West

ROBBED OF 3

hateraid
09-01-2021, 05:28 AM
Barkley was a way more impactful player in his time than any other player sans Magic. He carried bigger loads than any other team. Hersey Hawkins was his second best player. I love Hawk but he very well could have been the worst second banana out of any contender. And probably the worst coach too with Jim Lynam. Barkley was severely on an island yet competed with Chicago, New York, and Detroit.

SaintzFury13
09-01-2021, 05:37 AM

2017 - #1 in RAPTOR

2020 - similar total mins as giannis but much better on/off stats and in the wild wild West

ROBBED OF 3

No one cares.

Phoenix
09-01-2021, 08:08 AM
You could make a case MJ was robbed too. He averaged 33.6/6.9/6.3 on 60.6 %TS with 3.0 turnovers and played much better defense than Barkley. By this point he was clearly the best player on the planet.

Then again I would have gone with Magic as the winner as well. He wasn't the best player in the world but his team won 63 games compared to the Bulls 55 and the Sixers 53.

Would you have 1990 east or west as the better conference? Because if answer to that question is the former, that directly should result in a closer examination of team records for the Lakers, Bulls, and Sixers that season.

Phoenix
09-01-2021, 08:09 AM

No.

Gohan
09-01-2021, 08:52 AM
Iverson was robbed in 2005 i even have a quote from someone saying he should have.

Gohan: “if i would give the mvp to someone it would have to be iverson, this is one of his best years”

Thats proof enough right?

3ba11
09-01-2021, 09:02 AM
Charles Barkley 1989-90:

TS%: 66.1!!!!!!

EFG%: 60.8

TRB%: 16.7

AST%: 15.6

ORtg: 128

FG%: 60

TRB: 11.5

AST: 3.9

PPG: 25.2

He led the 76ers to a 50 and 32 record that season with not a great supporting cast around him to boot.

90' Hawkins.... 17.0 PER... 0.135 WS/48.. 1.7 BPM... 2.7 VORP.. #16 team defense
90' Pippen'...... 16.3 PER... 0.087 WS/48.. 1.8 BPM... 3.0 VORP.. #19 team defense

The Sixers had a better defense than the Bulls and more scoring options, but Jordan won more games and demolished Barkley in the playoffs because Jordan was far superior and averaged like 45 ppg..

During the regular season, Jordan averaged 9 more points than Barkley and had less offensive help (greater burden than Barkley)

Phoenix
09-01-2021, 10:12 AM
Iverson was robbed in 2005 i even have a quote from someone saying he should have.

Gohan: “if i would give the mvp to someone it would have to be iverson, this is one of his best years”

Thats proof enough right?

On a 43 win team? Good luck with that. You'd have to be doing some triple double shit like Westbrook in 2017 to have a hope of a prayer winning the MVP award on any sub 50 win team( and 43 wins barely grazes above .500). So.......nah.

pandiani17
09-01-2021, 11:16 AM

2017 - #1 in RAPTOR

ROBBED OF 3

Actually, in 2017 he was still in the Spurs.:oldlol:If you are going to troll, at least do it right.

Phoenix
09-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Actually, in 2017 he was still in the Spurs.:oldlol:If you are going to troll, at least do it right.

I think by RAPTOR he means this:

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/lists/the-top-30-players-in-the-nba-per-fivethiryeights-raptor-rating/

Funny thing is, you got Mike Conley at #3 on the list above, above Kawhi interestingly enough. This is what happens when retards like the one you replied to just start popping off advanced stats.

Gohan
09-01-2021, 01:35 PM
On a 43 win team? Good luck with that. You'd have to be doing some triple double shit like Westbrook in 2017 to have a hope of a prayer winning the MVP award on any sub 50 win team( and 43 wins barely grazes above .500). So.......nah.

Are you tryna tell me iverson isnt the greatest player of all time? Nvm i dont want to know, if youre playing me keep it on the low, cause my heart cant take it anymore

Phoenix
09-01-2021, 01:44 PM
Are you tryna tell me iverson isnt the greatest player of all time? Nvm i dont want to know, if youre playing me keep it on the low, cause my heart cant take it anymore

Greatest sentient being ever, my apologies. I misspoke.

dankok8
09-01-2021, 02:29 PM
Would you have 1990 east or west as the better conference? Because if answer to that question is the former, that directly should result in a closer examination of team records for the Lakers, Bulls, and Sixers that season.

Honestly they probably weren't too far off but the the top of the East was better with Detroit, Chicago, Boston... The West had LA, Portland, Phoenix...

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-01-2021, 02:43 PM
Robbed is a strong word. Chuck was definitely a legitimate candidate though.

Magic had a nice little narrative working for him. He was at the peak of his powers, and LA looked good without KAJ. Mike was the best 2-way player in that race and had little to no flaws. I believe 1990 was the year MJ shot the three at 38% clip. Good luck defending that guy.

HoopsNY
09-03-2021, 12:49 AM
Hakeem was robbed of the DPOY award in 1988 and the MVP in 1993.

Hakeem in 1993 just dominated the game on both ends in an insane way.

He had to do it all for the Rockets and to get them a record of 55-27.

Proves that he was the MVP that season.

Yep. MJ had Pippen (All-NBA 2nd Team, All-Star, All-Defensive 1st Team), and Grant (All-Defensive 2nd Team).

Barkley had KJ (albeit for 45 games), and Dan Majerle (All-Star, All-Defensive 2nd Team), with veterans like Chambers and Ainge off the bench.

Hakeem had.......?

AussieSteve
09-03-2021, 05:44 AM
This is not news. It's common knowledge that Barkley did rightfully win the 1990 MVP, but for a bunch of voters who intentionally left him off their ballot entirely to ensure he didn't win and to prop up Magic's chances.

The proof... no player has ever polled the most first place votes and not won the MVP... except Barkley in 1990. But not only did he poll the most 1st place votes, he polled the most by a mile... 38 to Magic's 27.

If votes were made public like they are now, Barkley would have won comfortably.

AussieSteve
09-03-2021, 05:47 AM
This is not news. It's common knowledge that Barkley did rightfully win the 1990 MVP, but for a bunch of voters who intentionally left him off their ballot entirely to ensure he didn't win and to prop up Magic's chances.

The proof... no player has ever polled the most first place votes and not win the MVP... except Barkley in 1990. But not only did he poll the most 1st place votes, he polled the most by a mile... 38 to Magic's 27.

If votes were made public like they are now, Barkley would have won comfortably.

He also won the most prominent media MVP award that year. The Sporting News MVP.

(As he did in 93, for those who don't think he deserved the NBA MVP that year)