PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think is better all-time KG or David Robinson.

coastalmarker99
09-01-2021, 12:17 AM
Kevin Garnett:

21 seasons

1x NBA Champion

1x MVP

15x All-Star

4x All-NBA First Team

3x All-NBA Second Team

2x All-NBA Third Team

1x DPOTY

9x All-Defensive First Team

3x All-Defensive Second Team

All-Rookie Second Team

4x Rebounding Champion

David Robinson:

14 seasons

2x NBA Champion

1x MVP

10x All-Star

4x All-NBA First Team

2x All-NBA Second Team

4x All-NBA Third Team

1x DPOTY

4x All-Defensive First Team

4x All-Defensive Second Team

1x Scoring Champion

1x Rebounding Champion

1x Blocks Leader

Rookie of the Year

All-Rookie First Team

coastalmarker99
09-01-2021, 12:19 AM
For me personally, I have Robinson over KG all time.

For the 1993/94 season to 1994/95 season

Robinson averaged 28 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 3.3 blocks & 1.7 steals.

Robinson shot 51% from the floor & 76% from the line (11 FTAs per game)

In 1994, Robinson was the MVP runner-up & DPOY runner-up.

In 1994, Robinson led the Spurs to the 6th-best record in the league but lost in the 1st Round to the Jazz.

In 1995, Robinson won the MVP but finished 4th in voting for the DPOY.

In 1995, Robinson led the Spurs to the best record in the league and lost in the Conference Finals to the Rockets.

Robinson's supporting cast during his MVP season: Avery Johnson, Sean Elliot & Dennis Rodman

We know that Robinson was in a similar situation as KG was most of his career and he had much more success than KG did when he was with the Wolves compared to Robinson before Duncan.

KG got out of the first round one time his whole career with the Wolves.

Robinson at least managed that 4 times.

And he got the spurs to 55+ wins 5 times.

KG did that once with the wolves.

Robinson did that in 7 years, the same amount of years KG was in Minnesota once he turned the same age as Robinson in his rookie year.

All you have to do is look at how terribly the spurs did when Robinson was hurt at the beginning of the 1997 season to see how hard he carried the Spurs.

They went 3-15 before Robinson came back and I seriously doubt the spurs were planning on tanking from the beginning of the season that year.

Thenameless
09-01-2021, 01:27 AM
Robinson pretty easily. What hurts his NBA career was starting a bit late due to fulfilling his duty in the Navy.

In simple terms, he was a bit better on defense and a lot better at scoring. Had a true center's size with fantastic athletic ability which is ultimately better than being an athletic power forward.

NBAGOAT
09-01-2021, 04:52 AM
Kg has a sizable longevity edge, that matters a lot in an all time list. Defense is difficult to be certain of but both are all time greats. That matters a lot in GOAT discussion. Robinson is a better scorer but only for a few years in his prime. I think what you’re mainly overlooking is kgs playmaking edge. He’s an all time great passer for a big. 5-6apg for a long prime and that undersells his playmaking imo. Robinson has one year around 5apg and rest are around 3. He played more on offense like current ad.

Edit: the Spurs were not good but had mostly good starters and could defend(don’t forget Rodman). The wolves before 04 were awful with talent they put around kg because of the joe Smith debacle and awful on defense. Offense was pretty much kg and sczerbiak.

Nowitness
09-01-2021, 12:18 PM
Both look like top 15 players all time based on regular season play. Both were incapable of raising their games in the post-season and being the main guys on contenders offensively. Hence why neither won until a more proven scorer took over and allowed them to defend.

KG by 4 spots all time.

fsvr54
09-01-2021, 12:56 PM
KG is the greatest defensive leader ever

Nowitness
09-01-2021, 01:05 PM
KG is the greatest defensive leader ever

In what way? Maybe in 2008, but Duncan was a far better defender, leader and anchor than KG.

90sgoat
09-01-2021, 01:21 PM
If I look at them playing and guarding each other, there's just no way I see KG coming out on top.

D-Rob can run with KG just as good and he will murder KG on the low block, even though D-Rob wasn't Shaq or Hakeem level good down low, he was still way more physical than KG.

Phoenix
09-01-2021, 01:34 PM
If I look at them playing and guarding each other, there's just no way I see KG coming out on top.

D-Rob can run with KG just as good and he will murder KG on the low block, even though D-Rob wasn't Shaq or Hakeem level good down low, he was still way more physical than KG.

Admiral was battling peak Hakeem, Shaq, Ewing, Mutumbo. KG, great as he was, doesn't present a higher obstacle than what Robinson was facing at his own position.

Gohan
09-01-2021, 01:40 PM
Kg continues to be overrated

j3lademaster
09-01-2021, 01:45 PM
KG had the better career due to longevity, but David Robinson was better if he compare them prime vs prime.

It's interesting to think about if D-Rob was brought up in the modern era and was allowed to handle the ball more, with a license to carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1i8K-u0yFo

fsvr54
09-01-2021, 03:43 PM
In what way? Maybe in 2008, but Duncan was a far better defender, leader and anchor than KG.

I've never seen a player pick up team defense and motivate everyone else by himself like KG did. Like when he really wanted to turn defense on, the entire team followed suit.

ClipperRevival
09-02-2021, 12:14 AM
Peak wise, DRob all day.

Longevity is kind of unfair to DRob because he played his first NBA game at 24 while KG played his first at 18.

KG was a bit more well rounded and had more "small man" skills but DRob was just that DOMINANT, IMPACTFUL big.

Smoke117
09-02-2021, 12:25 AM
Peak wise, DRob all day.

Longevity is kind of unfair to DRob because he played his first NBA game at 24 while KG played his first at 18.

KG was a bit more well rounded and had more "small man" skills but DRob was just that DOMINANT, IMPACTFUL big.

An actual good post by you for once. See kids, you don't have to be a complete dipshit if you don't want to.

Im Still Ballin
09-02-2021, 12:54 AM
I've never seen a player pick up team defense and motivate everyone else by himself like KG did. Like when he really wanted to turn defense on, the entire team followed suit.

What's surprising is how ordinary those Minnesota teams were defensively speaking. They were actually offensively talented squads; they lacked what KG's supposedly the best at.

Im Still Ballin
09-02-2021, 01:00 AM
Loving the "KG was overrated" content OP. I hold the same opinion.

As for the purposes of this thread: I like David Robinson's superior rim protection and offensive ability.

kawhileonard2
09-02-2021, 01:12 AM
Robinson