PDA

View Full Version : Mark Jackson leading the Pacers over the Knicks in the 98 Playoffs

Reggie43
09-04-2021, 05:24 AM
https://youtu.be/8HLFwsOxS_s

I love how he played so differently even for the era as a 6'1" bulky and physical guard backing down bigger players and making plays from the post.

pandiani17
09-04-2021, 05:55 AM
He was a very good point guard. Doesn't get mentioned too much, IMO. Those Pacers teams were very veteran and savy. Glad they made the Finals in the end.

SATAN
09-04-2021, 06:37 AM
Yeah he always used his strength very well.

Shame he's an unlikable religious nut job however.

jbryan1984
09-04-2021, 01:49 PM
For sure, during his time with the Pacers was such an underrated point guard and player.

This was also one of my all time favorite teams (Reggie, Mark, Rik Smits, the Davis Boys)

Reggie43
09-04-2021, 09:54 PM
He was basically the engine of the team offensively wherein they rely heavily on his playmaking and they trust him to get them the ball where they need it.

He was so underrated even by his own team that they traded him away and they realized their mistake and got him back again in the same season lol.

97 bulls
09-05-2021, 07:31 AM
I have a question, I believe Jackson is 4th all time in assists. And there's a premium now on totals. Shouldn't Mark Jackson be in the Hall of Fame?

Reggie43
09-05-2021, 08:54 AM
I have a question, I believe Jackson is 4th all time in assists. And there's a premium now on totals. Shouldn't Mark Jackson be in the Hall of Fame?

He could have had a case for the Hof if he somehow maintained his prime/peak scoring numbers but he was barely scoring double figures for the majority of his career despite clearly having the ability to average more.

Defensively he had strong fundamentals but he quickly lost athleticism as he got older which hurt his effectiveness on that end but was still a great team defender regardless and also rebounds well for his size.

He was a good all around player with strong leadership skills but was only great at one thing so its hard to make a case for him despite of the huge impact he had for the teams he played for.

Jasper
09-05-2021, 09:48 AM
He was a very good point guard. Doesn't get mentioned too much, IMO. Those Pacers teams were very veteran and savy. Glad they made the Finals in the end.

I enjoyed watching Jackson.
He was more of a pure PG than most people would grant him...
Very Smart Floor General VSFG

97 bulls
09-05-2021, 01:00 PM
He could have had a case for the Hof if he somehow maintained his prime/peak scoring numbers but he was barely scoring double figures for the majority of his career despite clearly having the ability to average more.

Defensively he had strong fundamentals but he quickly lost athleticism as he got older which hurt his effectiveness on that end but was still a great team defender regardless and also rebounds well for his size.

He was a good all around player with strong leadership skills but was only great at one thing so its hard to make a case for him despite of the huge impact he had for the teams he played for.
I'm just saying, it makes no sense for a guy that's 4th all time in assists, and we have garnered a huge respect for longevity stats to not be in the hall of fame. Unless the assist is an overrated Stat.

Reggie43
09-05-2021, 04:41 PM
I'm just saying, it makes no sense for a guy that's 4th all time in assists, and we have garnered a huge respect for longevity stats to not be in the hall of fame. Unless the assist is an overrated Stat.

Longevity stats are good but it doesnt reallly make you a better player than you actually are. It just means you hung around for a very long time and was consistent at what you do.

Kblaze8855
09-05-2021, 05:26 PM
I always liked Mark. He seemed to be 35 for about 10 years. One of those guys born a crafty veteran. New York absolutely loved him early in his career.

tpols
09-05-2021, 06:44 PM
Anybody see Rik Smits shoes? Mfer looks like he was wearing a size 30.

Reggie43
09-05-2021, 08:25 PM
Anybody see Rik Smits shoes? Mfer looks like he was wearing a size 30.

Must be some specialized shoes for his bad feet. I remember reading about how he couldnt even walk around his house without wearing something specific for his injured feet.