PDA

View Full Version : Ben Simmons for Damian Lillard Trade - Thoughts ?

jamesmax1991
09-07-2021, 01:44 PM
I think this will be the ultimate trade for both teams. Right now, 76ers need to get rid for Simmons asap and he wants the same thing. Lillard has hinted many times that he wants to see change. Can you imagine what would happen if Damian spends 1 more year in Portland and they cant get out of the first round, I can see a James Harden situation coming ? :facepalm:facepalm

How does this benefits both sides ?

76ers receive Damian:
- Clutch shooter that can carry the load and be the assertive player that Doc Rivers like to coach
- take the load off Embid and make him even more of dangerous threat
- Give the franchise an edge to compete with the superior Nets and Bucks

Blazers receive Simmons:
- Champion Coach Billups can elevate Simmons and get him in the right mindset
- A younger player that they can build around (once his confidence is back)
- Free more shorts for CJ, Simmons can be more of a facilitator which he enjoys doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbSNMshiBYM

ballhog5899
09-07-2021, 01:46 PM
I agree but what if Billups cannot change Ben Simmons and he is who he is ? Portland would have traded a top 10 player in the league for what ?

Its a fair trade if Simmons gets back on track but if not, Blazers lose this one

jamesmax1991
09-07-2021, 01:48 PM
But what is Lillard doesnt win next year? He will request a trade and then his trade value will go down as the teams will know he is desperate to leave...

coin24
09-07-2021, 01:54 PM
Philly need a pg who takes a few 3s and can defend, not a million threes and no D.. he would take some pressure off embiid but they’re not even close to coming out of the east..

Simmons in Portland? Who’s even left on that team for little Ben to hot potato pass it to?
Chauncey walked into a big L there. Mr Big Shit

jamesmax1991
09-07-2021, 01:58 PM
You do know know Damian average 40% from 3 last season and 1 steal ? He is no Ben Simmons on defense but the dude can shoot and is an okay defender

ballhog5899
09-07-2021, 02:11 PM
Lillard + Embid + Tobias ? Yes sir, they can compete at a high level and get to the eastern conference finals easy!!!

The team has shooters everywhere can Dame can space the floor for everybody

Mask the Embiid
09-07-2021, 02:19 PM
Why is he still on our team....:facepalm

ill gladly take brogdon

Manny98
09-07-2021, 02:21 PM
According to Philly fans Ben Simmons is the worst player ever so why would Portland do this trade when they can easily get a better package elsewhere?

If this trade happens it's going to be even funnier laughing at Philly fans when they inevitably lose in the 2nd round yet again:oldlol:

jamesmax1991
09-07-2021, 02:39 PM
You guys really gave up on him already ? The dude is a 25 year old 6 foot 10 point guard that made some mistakes in the playoffs ! and you want to kill him for it? Trust me, he will bounce back and when that happens, you will regret about trading him away

ballhog5899
09-07-2021, 03:07 PM
I can see a second round exit coming again :oldlol:

SaintzFury13
09-07-2021, 04:26 PM
You do know know Damian average 40% from 3 last season and 1 steal ? He is no Ben Simmons on defense but the dude can shoot and is an okay defender

Carmelo Anthony averaged 1 steal...averaging 1 steal does not make you an okay defender. In fact that's laughably bad for a PG. For some context, Mo Williams averaged .9 steals for his entire career.

NBAGOAT
09-07-2021, 04:37 PM
Dame is a bad defender but ofc Philly should do this. They are bordering on a super team with embiid/lillard/Harris and two decent starters though not on bkns level. Likely will have to attach multiple firsts and a young guy too but it’s worth it imo.

SaintzFury13
09-07-2021, 04:47 PM
Dame is a bad defender but ofc Philly should do this. They are bordering on a super team with embiid/lillard/Harris and two decent starters though not on bkns level. Likely will have to attach multiple firsts and a young guy too but it’s worth it imo.

The reality is that Philly is screwed no matter what they do. Lillard doesn't suddenly make them better because even if they do somehow get him in a trade, they lose Simmons elite defense and playmaking. All they really needed to do was add more firepower in the offseason. Instead they had to shit talk the guy in postgame, try to get him traded, rather than back him. I know you can't coddle the guy, but the reality of this is that Simmons wanting out pretty much kills any real chance Philly has of being title contenders going forward unless they got something amazing for Simmons. And considering how low his trade value is right now, that's not happening.

NBAGOAT
09-07-2021, 05:14 PM
The reality is that Philly is screwed no matter what they do. Lillard doesn't suddenly make them better because even if they do somehow get him in a trade, they lose Simmons elite defense and playmaking. All they really needed to do was add more firepower in the offseason. Instead they had to shit talk the guy in postgame, try to get him traded, rather than back him. I know you can't coddle the guy, but the reality of this is that Simmons wanting out pretty much kills any real chance Philly has of being title contenders going forward unless they got something amazing for Simmons. And considering how low his trade value is right now, that's not happening.

Problem is they didnt have any flexibility to make a great move. Can’t do much when you have 3 max guys, you’re stuck with that core and cheap help unless you trade one of the core. The only way to really get better is a young guy improving.

jamesmax1991
09-07-2021, 05:15 PM
Yes, definitely worth it for Philly if they can get their hands on Dame time, if they need to package some first round picks, its still worth it.

They can then have a chance to go after Brooklyn/Bucks. I still cant believe philly fans gave up on this guy after 1 bad game ???

ralph_i_el
09-07-2021, 05:21 PM
If I was the Blazers I would rather see Dame walk for nothing (not going to happen) than pay Ben Simmons a long, max contract. If this happens I don't predict it going well for the Blazers.

AirBonner
09-07-2021, 05:50 PM
The thing is Simmons isn’t worth Dame in the eyes of every Gm

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-07-2021, 06:51 PM
I like it. Good for both teams

AirBonner
09-07-2021, 06:57 PM
I like it. Good for both teams

Good for everyone except the blazers

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-07-2021, 07:09 PM
Good for everyone except the blazers

If rumors are true, and like Ben, Dame is unhappy with his team, then objectively its a good trade for both.

Portland might get better offers. Or not. We'll see.

SaintzFury13
09-07-2021, 07:14 PM
Problem is they didnt have any flexibility to make a great move. Can’t do much when you have 3 max guys, you’re stuck with that core and cheap help unless you trade one of the core. The only way to really get better is a young guy improving.

It's not like they didn't have much to work with. They had legitimate trade assets to help with the scoring. Either that, or make Ben work harder than ever on his scoring.

But once again, they are ****ed. The only actual chance they have is IF Ben grows up and uses the criticism as motivation rather than run away from it. But again, I doubt that happens.

AirBonner
09-07-2021, 07:16 PM
If rumors are true, and like Ben, Dame is unhappy with his team, then objectively its a good trade for both.

Portland might get better offers. Or not. We'll see.

It’s literally better for for Portland to let dame walk than to take on Simmons terrible contract. Simmons is a role player making super star money. Objectively it would be a trade that handicaps the franchise

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-07-2021, 07:20 PM
It’s literally better for for Portland to let dame walk than to take on Simmons terrible contract. Simmons is a role player making super star money. Objectively it would be a trade that handicaps the franchise

Role players aren't making all-nba, all-defense AND the last three all-star teams.

All of which Ben has done since 2018.

You sound goofy

AirBonner
09-07-2021, 07:23 PM
Role players aren't making all-nba, all-defense AND the last three all-star teams.

All of which Ben has done since 2018.

You sound goofy

He hasn’t improved since his rookie year and is the sole reason the 76ers are not over the hump. Regular season awards are cute until you actually have to win games

Chick Stern
09-07-2021, 07:33 PM
It is a silly, lopsided trade being pushed by Philly fans.
They are the same who kept saying that Simmons was going to be league MVP.

bizil
09-07-2021, 08:02 PM
Not sure about the all the specifics behind it BUT Philly had the squad to win a ring when they had Butler, Reddick, and Horford to go with Simmons, Embid, and Harris! When you have studs like Embid and Simmons u GOTTA put the right squad around them to win. On a team like that, Simmons can be the 3rd best player. Behind Embid and Butler. BUT the 4th AT BEST scoring option on the squad! At this point in Simmons's career, that's an IDEAL setup for him! Once the squad broke up, the writing was on the wall for Ben.

Floor game wise (rebounding,passing, and defense as a package), Simmons is the best PG in the league. Positional versatility two way wise, the same thing. Athletic ability wise, u could say the same. Right up there with Russ and Morant. I knew FROM JUMP the comparison to Magic and Bron was off overall. BECAUSE Magic and Bron can dominate games scoring. And have much more complete scoring skillsets.

A 6'11 version of young Jason Kidd is more applicable. But year after year, Kidd improved his scoring skillset. Overall J Kidd was still only 40% from the field. BUT he greatly improved his three point shot. And from the line, he shot damn near 80%. Simmons has yet to show that improvement scoring wise. Still a true All Star type player. BUT he's not gonna be a superstar until he nips that shit in the bud!

ralph_i_el
09-07-2021, 08:56 PM
I do not see how it is possible to put together a half court offense that can win a championship when you are dedicating a full max deal to someone who needs the ball in their hands but can't shoot and DOESN'T shoot.

I would argue that Ben is nowhere near the passer Kidd was. It's easy to rack up assists you get a ton of touches but rarely look to score. Kidd shot to keep the defenses honest from day 1, so he could be effective in the half court and not just transition.

Also folks, go look at the nba.com data. Ben wasn't even efficient in transition last year. He turned the ball over 20% of the time, and his transition touches corresponded to 1.00 points per play for his team
...which would have been tied with OKC for last place in the league. He did have one of the highest amount of transition touches in the league though...so lots of assists and dunks....but was it an efficient use of possessions?

ralph_i_el
09-07-2021, 09:05 PM
Of course, any player can improve their game and prove me wrong...but I'd bet against significant improvement from a guy who hasn't shown consistent improvement at all during his career.

j3lademaster
09-07-2021, 10:10 PM
Good for everyone except the blazersand every contending eastern conference team.

BurningHammer
09-07-2021, 10:47 PM
How long until Simmons' trade value is low enough to get a deal finalized? Dame is much more valuable than Simmons at this moment.

jamesmax1991
09-08-2021, 01:56 AM
Did you just say Simmons is a role player ?:oldlol:

The guy is about the win defensive player of a year

ballhog5899
09-08-2021, 04:38 AM
Its already low enough and the deal needs to happen asap.

The more Daryl Morrey waits, the less people would want to trade for Simmons. But if they can get Dame in return, that would be the best deal.

ralph_i_el
09-08-2021, 05:39 AM
Did you just say Simmons is a role player ?:oldlol:

The guy is about the win defensive player of a year

Are you his agent? Lol

jamesmax1991
09-08-2021, 07:14 AM
No, I dont understand how people are writing off Ben Simmons after ONE bad playoff series ?

The guy is a 6 foot 10 pointguard that can do everything except shooting... and has not even reached his ceiling yet! But his own fans want to let him go and trade him away :facepalm Do you remember lebron in 2011 finals and what happened ? Remember then what he did for the next 10 years (4 chips)...

ralph_i_el
09-08-2021, 07:31 AM
It's not one bad playoff series. Besides beating up on my shitty Wizards, I don't think he's ever had a great series. His game does not translate to the higher focus and intensity of the playoffs. I've been on this same shit since 2019, folks are just starting to realize.

The sixers could have kept MCW and force-fed him touches and he'd have put up big stats too. Back then they had a GM with balls...didn't let a high draft pick status cloud his judgement.

Joey Turnbuckle
09-08-2021, 08:20 AM
Why is he still on our team....:facepalm

ill gladly take brogdon

Sold

Joey Turnbuckle
09-08-2021, 08:24 AM
How many alts dis negga have?

8-20-21 jamesmax1991
9-03-21 ballhog5899

ralph_i_el
09-08-2021, 08:30 AM
How many alts dis negga have?

8-20-21 jamesmax1991
9-03-21 ballhog5899

It seems like whoever is rolling out these alts is not a forum regular. The tone stands out. Might be a shill.

GOBB
09-08-2021, 10:28 AM
According to Philly fans Ben Simmons is the worst player ever so why would Portland do this trade when they can easily get a better package elsewhere?

If this trade happens it's going to be even funnier laughing at Philly fans when they inevitably lose in the 2nd round yet again:oldlol:

Because teams don’t listen to what idiot fans like yourself say. And Portland would want Ben if Adams were to force his way out and have Philly as a destination. If that were the case why wouldn’t Portland take Ben and company? Oh wait they would reject a deal because sixers fans don’t like Ben Simmons. Use logic perhaps. You’re so dumb

GOBB
09-08-2021, 10:30 AM
It's not one bad playoff series. Besides beating up on my shitty Wizards, I don't think he's ever had a great series. His game does not translate to the higher focus and intensity of the playoffs. I've been on this same shit since 2019, folks are just starting to realize.

The sixers could have kept MCW and force-fed him touches and he'd have put up big stats too. Back then they had a GM with balls...didn't let a high draft pick status cloud his judgement.

Cmon now you can have your takes on Ben. But what we not going to do is pretend MCW could have done what Ben has thus far. Matter of fact for $50 what team does MCW even play on? Majority of the board doesn’t even know.

ralph_i_el
09-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Because teams don’t listen to what idiot fans like yourself say. And Portland would want Ben if Adams were to force his way out and have Philly as a destination. If that were the case why wouldn’t Portland take Ben and company? Oh wait they would reject a deal because sixers fans don’t like Ben Simmons. Use logic perhaps. You’re so dumb

How about because they don't want to pay Ben Simmons a max deal for the next 4 years, and would rather take any other offer. Even if Dame forces his way out, he'd give them more than just Philly as a preferred destination.

ralph_i_el
09-08-2021, 10:31 AM
Cmon now you can have your takes on Ben. But what we not going to do is pretend MCW could have done what Ben has thus far. Matter of fact for $50 what team does MCW even play on? Majority of the board doesn’t even know.

He won rookie of the year and they traded him away. That's what I'm saying. They didn't get blinded by accolades with him, and they shouldn't now. MCW is a worse player than Simmons of course. If they just kept playing MCW at lead guard for a few years, ignoring his flaws and mistakes, then he would have put up like 15-8-8, and (some) folks would think he was good....even if he wasn't. Trading MCW when he still had value was a smart move.

Jasper
09-08-2021, 10:39 AM
Dam would not be traded from Portland unless they get a freighter of picks, and two all-stars.

Not just for low life Simmons.

GOBB
09-08-2021, 10:49 AM

Oh stop. Embiid and Dame compliment each more than Embiid and Ben. Not even up for debate. The half court offense improves significantly. Which has been an issue in Philly for years since the process really got off the ground (winning). That is huge in a playoff series where you have two elite offensive threats. One on the perimeter and one near the basket. Yet this doesn’t suddenly make them better???

Another need is the sixers haven’t had an impact guard since iverson. I guess you could say jimmy butler was the guard this team lacks. Given how short lived his stint was here. But we need a guy who can create his own buckets. Same is great at that. We need a guard that can shoot. Dame time is the man there. We need a 4th quarter and clutch performer when you can’t rely solely on Embiid. What better player is qualified to do that other than Dame?

What elite defensive players did Hawks have vs Sixers in the series? I’ll patiently wait. The one thing that sixers will miss is the large % of 3’s Ben created for them. Folks can say it’s because he didn’t score/shoot but he got guys the ball at the right spot to shoot 3’s. That’s valuable and will be missed. The defense is great but in the playoffs you need buckets. We got Thybulle. And others would have to step up. Maxey needs a bigger role as the 6th man instant offense.

The trade off for elite defense-playmaking isn’t nearly as bad losing vs getting a guy like Dame still in his prime. Filling in role players around that is far easier. And this league is all about who is cool. And Dame/Embiid looks cool to join over Embiid/Ben. So there’s that lure. Embiid window is short.

Would sixers win title with dame this season? Not a chance. But they would get further and have room to get pieces.

The counter is Doc rivers. But that’s another topic...

GOBB
09-08-2021, 10:54 AM
He won rookie of the year and they traded him away. That's what I'm saying. They didn't get blinded by accolades with him, and they shouldn't now. MCW is a worse player than Simmons of course. If they just kept playing MCW at lead guard for a few years, ignoring his flaws and mistakes, then he would have put up like 15-8-8, and (some) folks would think he was good....even if he wasn't. Trading MCW when he still had value was a smart move.

Yeah but wasn’t much upside with MCW. With Ben there was. Maybe you didn’t see it but that was what everyone else saw/expected. So sixers as would have any team gave him that deal on the hopes he pan out. Whereas with MCW he was just an average player on a really bad team where he happen to be the best player given roster makeup of scrubs. I see what you’re saying in that sizers should sold high on Ben. But easier said than done given the whole process situation and expectations. I think u would’ve been the only GM who would’ve sold Ben back then before his deal. Again not saying that argument is wrong just not one majority of folks would have done.

GOBB
09-08-2021, 10:56 AM
How about because they don't want to pay Ben Simmons a max deal for the next 4 years, and would rather take any other offer. Even if Dame forces his way out, he'd give them more than just Philly as a preferred destination.

Yes Portland would look at Dame list and take best offer. I’m saying if he told Portland I want out and Philly is where I want to be? Ben max deal means little. Even if Dame had more choices, Portland wouldn’t take another deal because Ben has a max and they don’t care to pay it. It would be what works for them talent wise. I really don’t think teams care about Ben max as much as you do. Look what we are paying Tobias Harris. Ijs

Derka
09-08-2021, 11:03 AM
Philly doesn't have anything close to the leverage to demand a player of Dame's caliber in return for Simmons.

Edit: Unless Dame forces Portland's hand, which there is zero indication of him doing at this juncture.

ralph_i_el
09-08-2021, 11:22 AM
Yes Portland would look at Dame list and take best offer. I’m saying if he told Portland I want out and Philly is where I want to be? Ben max deal means little. Even if Dame had more choices, Portland wouldn’t take another deal because Ben has a max and they don’t care to pay it. It would be what works for them talent wise. I really don’t think teams care about Ben max as much as you do. Look what we are paying Tobias Harris. Ijs

Portland cares because they would be committing long term to building around Simmons, and would be moving forward with a difficult cap situation. They don't want to do that. If they're trading Dame, they might as well blow it up entirely. They literally would be better off letting him walk for nothing, but they'd be able to get cheap prospects+picks from someone.

I wouldn't have paid Tobias the max, but he's closer to deserving it than Ben. He's much easier to fit into a championship-level half court offense.

ralph_i_el
09-08-2021, 12:05 PM
Also Gobb, I think the 6ers would have had a real shot at a ring this year with Dame in Ben's place. You are spot on in your assessment that Embiid and Dame would compliment each other really well.

Wally450
09-08-2021, 12:35 PM
You won't ever get Ben Simmons in the right mindset. This is who he is.

Im so nba'd out
09-08-2021, 12:41 PM
You won't ever get Ben Simmons in the right mindset. This is who he is.

1st good post in a decade. He will never evolve from what he is. he is content with where he is

3 time all star
Dpoy runner up
Team Australia begging you to play
Max contract
Can get a kardashian

Why work hard when you can get almost everything hardly working? If you gonna give it to me anyway why try?

GOBB
09-08-2021, 01:07 PM
Portland cares because they would be committing long term to building around Simmons, and would be moving forward with a difficult cap situation. They don't want to do that. If they're trading Dame, they might as well blow it up entirely. They literally would be better off letting him walk for nothing, but they'd be able to get cheap prospects+picks from someone.

I wouldn't have paid Tobias the max, but he's closer to deserving it than Ben. He's much easier to fit into a championship-level half court offense.

No top tier or even 2nd tier free agents go to Portland. They are a franchise that would accept Ben and his deal because if he were a free agent? They know he wouldn’t go there anyway.

Maybe Portland doesn’t like Ben max deal? I don’t know. I just go off how nba teams aren’t the brightest bulbs when it comes to contracts and trades.

ralph_i_el
09-08-2021, 01:42 PM
No top tier or even 2nd tier free agents go to Portland. They are a franchise that would accept Ben and his deal because if he were a free agent? They know he wouldn’t go there anyway.

Maybe Portland doesn’t like Ben max deal? I don’t know. I just go off how nba teams aren’t the brightest bulbs when it comes to contracts and trades.

We might have different definitions of "Top tier Free Agents", but it's a pretty rare occurrence when a top-10 player signs anywhere as a free agent anyways. Teams shouldn't let the fact that they aren't NY, LA, or MIA trick them into locking themselves into bad deals. As always, the best way of getting a top-10 player is to draft and develop them yourself. There are plenty of young guys out there that need to right situation and opportunities, and could be the next Giannis or Curry (Guys who were not projected to be superstars at first). I'd rather take my chances than lock myself into building around a nutcase with a glaringly flawed game. There are tons of guys I'd rather take a chance on before I started building a team around Simmons.