PDA

View Full Version : 15 minutes of Prime Wilt Chamberlain Highlights with HD Footage in Color TV

Drygon
09-10-2021, 05:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfczQovODz8

j3lademaster
09-10-2021, 05:58 PM
Ugliest jumpshot: Michael Kidd-Ghilchrist, Marion or Wilt? High school coaches bench players for having releases that slow.

coastalmarker99
09-10-2021, 06:02 PM
Ugliest jumpshot: Michael Kidd-Ghilchrist, Marion or Wilt? High school coaches bench players for having releases that slow.

Head Coaches on Wilt's Fadeaway

October 21st, 1961 - Eddie Donovan (New York Knicks)

"It took me five minutes to see it is his best shot."

January 15th, 1962 - Jim Pollard (Chicago Packers) & Red Auerbach (Boston Celtics)

"His fadeaway shot is a lot better."

"Red Auerbach ... agrees Chamberlain's fall-away shot has made him even a bigger threat"

February 17th, 1962 - Alex Hannum (Syracuse Nationals)

"But now he has improved that jump shot so much that even when you force him to take it, he hits a tremendous percentage--if not actually 50 per cent, enough to kill you."

February 28th, 1962 - Frank McGuire (Philadelphia Warriors)

"... but he sometimes makes as many as three-fourths of his field-goal attempts a fair distance from the basket."

March 11th, 1962 - Alex Hannum (Syracuse Nationals)

"He has improved his fallaway jump shot so much ... That means a different way to play him ... You need some sort of sloughing defence."

coastalmarker99
09-10-2021, 06:05 PM
Wilt Chamberlain Statistics (1959-1966)

Minutes: 47.0

Rebounds: 24.8

Assists: 3.4

Blocks: 10.3* (based off 28 games of available data)

Wilt Chamberlain playoff Statistics (1959-1966)

Rebounds: 26.3

Assists 3.0

FG% 51%

Blocks: 11.5*(based off 13 games of available data.

In this time span of seven years from 1959 to 1966

Wilt had

Four entire post-seasons of

33.2 PPG

34.7 PPG

35.0 PPG

37.0 PPG

He also had a post-season series of 38.6 ppg on .55.9 shooting.

He also had four 30+ ppg post-season series against Russell including a 30 ppg, 31 rpg seven-game series in 1965.

He also had four 50+ point games in the playoffs, including a 56-35 game five, in a best-of-five series; and a 50-35 in a must-win game five against Russell in the '60 ECF's.

He also had a 46-34 game five in a must-win game in the '66 ECF's, and again, against Russell.

coastalmarker99
09-10-2021, 06:13 PM
Wilt Chamberlain when he averaged less than 30 PPG, but more than 20 PPG:

5 Seasons:

338 Games

23 PPG

22 RPG

6 APG

57.9 TS%

+8 rTS%

tontoz
09-10-2021, 06:34 PM
Good vid. Hadn't seen him shoot jumpers before.

coastalmarker99
09-10-2021, 06:37 PM
Wilt during his career had to play with finesse instead of using a power game as Shaq did during his career due to the rules of his era.

In fact, if you watch the YouTube footage of the game in which the Bucks ended LA's 33 game winning streak. Going on memory, at about the seven-minute mark of that footage, Kareem "sucker punches" Happy Hairston.

Wilt storms over to assist Hairston and Kareem retreats to the corner.

On the very next play, the Lakers inbound the ball to a 35-year-old Wilt, who just blows right thru a helpless Kareem for an easy basket.

Clearly, had Wilt been allowed to play as Shaq did.. well then he would have dominated even more as the rules of his era prevented him from using his greatest offensive weapon which was his strength.

Why Wilt Chamberlain couldn't play like Shaq: Vintage NBA Rules Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-XTPVBOCLw

Round Mound
09-10-2021, 06:51 PM
Great video. Wilt was WAY AHEAD of his time.

coastalmarker99
09-10-2021, 06:56 PM
Great video. Wilt was WAY AHEAD of his time.

As was Barkley.

Maybe that is why Wilt always said in interviews that Barkley was his favourite player to watch and the one teammate he wished he played with.

Reggie43
09-10-2021, 07:54 PM
I remember somebody posting in here stats about Wilts fadeaway and him basically making a single basket per game on less than 2 attempts iirc but on the video somebody said that 60% of Wilts shots were fadeaways.

When will the tall tales ever end?

coastalmarker99
09-10-2021, 08:26 PM
I remember somebody posting in here stats about Wilts fadeaway and him basically making a single basket per game on less than 2 attempts iirc but on the video somebody said that 60% of Wilts shots were fadeaways.

Related to fadeaway stats, I just rewatched game 7 of Suns vs Rockets series with scouting focused on Hakeem:

In this game, he took 16 fadeaways and he made 6 of them.

That's just an insane number, a lot of people believe that Hakeem did all the known moves consistently but for most of the time he just spammed fadeaways left and right.

I can't even imagine how many fadeaways Wilt took in his high scoring games.

coastalmarker99
09-10-2021, 08:34 PM

Nate Thurmond

We'd both played for the Warriors for a year & a half, so I'd practised against Wilt many times & I knew his game very well.

His favourite parking spot was on the left box where he could turn and shoot his fadeaway.

Everybody talks about Sam Jones being the world's greatest bank shooter, but when Wilt was on his spot, he could bank that fadeaway home wearing a blindfold.