PDA

View Full Version : The Defensive attention that Shaq faced in the 2000 WCF game seven compared to Kobe

coastalmarker99
09-12-2021, 03:53 AM
How the Blazers Defended Shaq in game seven of the 2000 WCF.

Touches in the halfcourt (within 15 feet of the basket for Shaq, inside 3 point line for Kobe):

Shaq: 40 touches, 36 doubles (90%), 2 triples (2 assists on them), 7 assists/hockey assists, 12 fouls drawn (2 off-ball)

Kobe had 36 touches, 14 double teams, 2 triples, 5 assists/hockey assists, 6 fouls drawn (1 in backcourt, 1 garbage time intentional foul)

How the Blazers Defended Shaq:

As you can tell by the numbers above, the Blazers literally doubled Shaq every time he touched it.

The only times he didn't get doubled was when he made a quick move on Sabonis that didn't allow the Blazers the time to double him.

Once the pass went in, the Blazers immediately went to double Shaq.

They clearly made it their priority to stop Shaq at all costs. Most of the doubles either came from Smith, Sheed or Pippen.

The Blazers even doubled from the Lakers 3 point shooters and sometimes Kobe.

One possession, Pippen doubled down off of Kobe, and Shaq hit Kobe for the open 3.

I've never seen a defence give a man this much attention before besides Wilt

I've watched MJ, Kareem, Hakeem play, but none of them ever besides Wilt faced a comparable amount of defenders that Shaq did.

In the 1st quarter, Shaq drew 2 quick fouls on Sabonis, then Grant came in and drew 2 fouls.
So the Blazers were forced to use young Jermaine O'Neal to guard Shaq.

How the Blazers Defended Kobe:

In the first half of the 1st and 3rd quarter, the Blazers used Damon Stoudamire to guard Kobe.

Stoudamire is listed at 5' 10, 170 lbs.

A man that is 8 inches shorter, and 30-40 lbs lighter was guarding Kobe for ~1 whole quarter.

No offence to Kobe but the Blazers would have never dared to have Damon Stoudamire guarding MJ for a quarter.

Kobe made a few plays on him and had a few assists from the doubles, but the lack of respect shows what the Blazers thought of Kobe.

For the other 3 quarters of the time, Smith/Wells guarded Kobe some, but Pippen guarded Kobe for around ~2 quarters worth of basketball.

Pippen did a decent job but Kobe more than held his own.

When Stoudamire guarded Kobe, they sent doubles on post-up situations.

When Pippen/Smith guarded him, they doubled when he drove to the basket.

Axe
09-12-2021, 04:09 AM
Rigged.
Oh a new dup :biggums:

MadDog
09-12-2021, 04:15 AM
Shaq earned his MDE moniker that year. For most of his finals play truthfully.

coastalmarker99
09-12-2021, 04:16 AM

Shaq saved his legacy in game 7 of the 2000 WCF as Shaq stepped it up in the 4th quarter.

He went 3-3 and draws 5 fouls in the quarter.

Sabonis starts the quarter with 2 fouls in the first 3 quarters.

9 minutes later, he fouls out of the game, with all 4 fouls coming against Shaq.

Shaq touched the ball 11 times in 16 half-court 4th quarter possessions.

He passed it out 3 times and the other 8 times he went 3-3 FG and drew 5 fouls.

coastalmarker99
09-12-2021, 04:18 AM

Shaq's 2000 finals is arguably the greatest finals in history.

He had games of 43/19, 40/24, 33/13, 36/21, 35/11, 41/12.

He shot 59% or better in 5 of those games.

The Lakers had a 109 O rating with him on the court (+7.7 relative to playoff average).

He did it while his top 2 offensive guys didn’t do much.

Kobe- 15.6 PPG, 36.7 FG%

Rice- 11.5 PPG, 40.0 FG%

The most impressive thing about Shaq's 2000 finals is what did to the Pacers frontline (Smits, Davis, Perkins, Croshere, and Tabak).

They combined for 102 fouls in 6 games (17 per game) after they combined for 10.8 fouls per game in the regular season.

The crazy thing is the only thing that held back Shaq was FT shooting.

If he shot his regular-season average at the FT line in the finals, he would have averaged over 40 PPG in this finals.

nayte
09-12-2021, 04:20 AM
Where do u get all this from ? Bball reference?
An honest question btw

3ba11
09-12-2021, 04:21 AM
Where did you get the double-team stats OP - provide link

I had a thread where I said MJ was the most double-teamed player ever and provided links to sources and gifs (unfortuntely, some of the links have changed):

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?386210-MJ-is-the-most-double-teamed-player-of-all-time-besides-Wilt

coastalmarker99
09-12-2021, 04:22 AM
Where did you get the double-team stats OP - provide link

I got it from watching the full game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVvG6MihLIE

3ba11
09-12-2021, 04:23 AM

lol - i watched those games too and i never saw Shaq get doubled on more than 4 possessions in a row.

otoh, jordan was doubled on 13 straight possessions to close out Game 6 of the 89' ECF and was doubled literally every possession for the entire 4th quarter in his 61 point game against the Hawks

nayte
09-12-2021, 04:24 AM
I gather that's a reply for me too. Nice that you take the time to do this. Is this the same as your wilt and Russell stat's to?

coastalmarker99
09-12-2021, 04:25 AM
I gather that's a reply for me too. Nice that you take the time to do this. Is this the same as your wilt and Russell stat's to?

Indeed it is the same for my Wilt and Russell stats.

coastalmarker99
09-12-2021, 04:33 AM
The main thing that made Prime Shaq different from any other NBA player is the way he dealt with double and triple teams

For most players - even the greats of the game they would get double-teamed and have to pass out or take a really hard-ass shot.

All-time greats can hit those shots and some of the NBA's most awesome performances are on nights when those shots hit

But that's the thing.

On nights those shots don't go in you can at least say as a fan and as a coach "okay double team did its job hopefully nobody else beats us"

With Shaq he squashed that hope because every game you had to double team and yet he still would be the best player on the court.

It was profoundly demoralizing watching Shaq catch the ball with two bigs on him and watching him do his "**** you get the hell out of my way mode as he slammed it home for a dunk.

nayte
09-12-2021, 04:34 AM
Indeed it is the same for my Wilt and Russell stats.

Fair enough I respect your efforts to watch all those games and take note. I don't think I could have the patience to do that

Phoenix
09-12-2021, 07:10 AM
lol - i watched those games too and i never saw Shaq get doubled on more than 4 possessions in a row.

otoh, jordan was doubled on 13 straight possessions to close out Game 6 of the 89' ECF and was doubled literally every possession for the entire 4th quarter in his 61 point game against the Hawks

Thread literally has sweet fukk all to do with Michael Jordan. What pacifies you to sleep after 23 hours a day posting here? Sucking on a dildo and pretending its MJ?

SouBeachTalents
09-12-2021, 07:23 AM
Thread literally has sweet fukk all to do with Michael Jordan. What pacifies you to sleep after 23 hours a day posting here? Sucking on a dildo and pretending its MJ?
'89 Pippen

Phoenix
09-12-2021, 07:34 AM
'89 Pippen

09 Mo

coastalmarker99
09-12-2021, 07:37 AM
'89 Pippen

:roll:

coastalmarker99
09-12-2021, 07:38 AM
09 Mo

:lol

:bowdown:

3ba11
09-12-2021, 07:57 AM

OP said he got the double-team stats from watching the 00' Finals, and I told him that I watched that series too and didn't see Shaq get doubled more than 4 times in a row - MJ was used as another comparison to show that he was actually doubled a lot more than peak Shaq

Phoenix
09-12-2021, 08:04 AM
OP said he got the double-team stats from watching the 00' Finals, and I told him that I watched that series too and didn't see Shaq get doubled more than 4 times in a row - MJ was used as another comparison to show that he was actually doubled a lot more than peak Shaq

But you lacked the ability to just focus the conversation on Shaq without making a reference to MJ. You simply don't have the ability to NOT bring MJ into a topic. That's what you do, own it and stop acting like you just happened to innocently shoehorn MJ into a discussion that had nothing to do with him whatsoever. Because THAT's usually the point when the thread goes off the rails. So fukk off, you know exactly what you're doing.

eliteballer
09-12-2021, 01:57 PM
OP literally making shit up:roll:

eliteballer
09-12-2021, 01:58 PM
LeRoid fans desperation is palpable.

SaintzFury13
09-13-2021, 09:07 AM
OP literally making shit up:roll:

Imagine being a guy who constantly claims LeBron is on roids and then accuses someone of "making shit up".

warriorfan
09-13-2021, 02:00 PM

:lebronamazed: :applause:

dankok8
09-13-2021, 05:17 PM
That's the kind of thing that doesn't show up on the stat sheet but Shaq warped defenses. Since he could pass, surrounding him with a just a few 3pt shooters would make an insane offense.