PDA

View Full Version : Best athletes all time by position?

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Pg: westbrook
Sg: mj
Sf: bron
Pf: shawn kemp
C: wilt chamberlain

Not sure about kemp at pf but i'm drawing a blank at the competition at the moment. Plus there may be players in the 80's or before that i'm missing that i never really saw.

Who yall got?

Full Court
09-12-2021, 08:12 PM
Shawn Kemp? Better than Malone or Barkley?

And Westbrook....really? You have Westbrook ahead of Magic, Curry, Robertson, Stockton...?

I hope this is just a troll thread.

MadDog
09-12-2021, 08:23 PM
That would also be my 5. At PF though Rodman was probably as good of an athlete as anybody.

And Westbrook....really? You have Westbrook ahead of Magic, Curry, Robertson, Stockton...?

Lol you don't think Westbrook was more athletic than Stockton and Curry? Think you're confusing the topic with best players ALL TIME.

Axe
09-12-2021, 08:25 PM
Kobe and curry stains are to fume about this.

RRR3
09-12-2021, 08:36 PM

In what universe is Curry close to Westbrook as an athlete? Can you read?

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 08:38 PM

Athletes as in most athletic. Not best players by position.

Full Court
09-12-2021, 08:40 PM
That would also be my 5. At PF though Rodman was probably as good of an athlete as anybody.

Lol you don't think Westbrook was more athletic than Stockton and Curry? Think you're confusing the topic with best players ALL TIME.

The best athlete is whoever performs the best in their athletic endeavor. There's more to being an athlete than running fast and jumping high.

Hand-eye coordination, quick reaction time, skill in shooting and passing - all those go into being athletic as it applies to the game of basketball.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 08:41 PM

Yeah kemp is probably the most debatable one. Rodman was a pretty crazy athlete. He's stronger than kemp and probably as fast if not faster but kemp was a better jumper and more fluid movement wise. There's alot if really good raw athletes at the pf position

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 08:43 PM
The best athlete is whoever performs the best in their athletic endeavor. There's more to being an athlete than running fast and jumping high.

Hand-eye coordination, quick reaction time, skill in shooting and passing - all those go into being athletic as it applies to the game of basketball.

True but but it wasn't meant that way. It was meant as most athletic by position. Should of been more specific.

Full Court
09-12-2021, 08:45 PM
True but but it wasn't meant that way. It was meant as most athletic by position. Should of been more specific.

Ok, gotcha. I no longer hope this is a troll thread. :cheers:

Axe
09-12-2021, 08:46 PM
Yep, stephen curry isn't athletic. If we are talking about skill, then yes he gets some consideration but here? Nope.

MadDog
09-12-2021, 08:47 PM

Of course, but it sounds like you're playing semantics here. In sports, there's a distinction between best athlete and player. Many consider Walter Payton, Bo Jackson & Deon Sanders three of the top athletes in NFL history. Tom Brady is who people call the best player though. Sure he's technically a GOOD athlete. Just nowhere near those names I mentioned. :confusedshrug:

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 08:56 PM
Ok, gotcha. I no longer hope this is a troll thread. :cheers::cheers:

JohnMax
09-12-2021, 08:58 PM
Westbrook
Jordan
Lebron
Anthony Davis
Shaquille O'Neal

Phoenix
09-12-2021, 09:10 PM

You didn't need to be more specific. The thread title is clearly stated and I'm sure *most* people here understood the intent and discussion you wanted to have.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 09:11 PM
Westbrook
Jordan
Lebron
Anthony Davis
Shaquille O'Neal

I disagree with davis but i won't argue it but you think shaq is more athletic than wilt?

RRR3
09-12-2021, 09:18 PM
You didn't need to be more specific. The thread title is clearly stated and I'm sure *most* people here understood the intent and discussion you wanted to have.
Full Court is a bit slow. Poor guy.

SouBeachTalents
09-12-2021, 09:22 PM
For real, the guy who didn’t is mad dumb :lol

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 09:32 PM

I hear u but i can see some people getting it confused. I mean when we hear someone ask who is the greatest athlete of all time we don't usually assume they're asking who's the most athletic. You would think by my 5 choices it would be clear i meant it in athletic terms but but maybe he just thought i was trolling with the westbrook and kemp picks.

FKAri
09-12-2021, 09:43 PM
I hear u but i can see some people getting it confused. I mean when we hear someone ask who is the greatest athlete of all time we don't usually assume they're asking who's the most athletic. You would think by my 5 choices it would be clear i meant it in athletic terms but but maybe he just thought i was trolling with the westbrook and kemp picks.

There's also a distinction that can be made between basketball athlete and all-around athlete. I think the former makes more sense as the latter is harder to define.

Round Mound
09-12-2021, 09:49 PM
PG: Allen Iverson
SG: MJ
SF: Lebron
PF: Kemp
C: Wilt

FultzNationRISE
09-12-2021, 09:52 PM
Athleticism is always so subjective.

Does height count toward athleticism? Nate Robinson has a higher proportional vertical than Russ, but doesnt have the overall size to throw it down the same way consistently. So whom do you say is more athletic?

Allen Iverson was basically Michael Vick on the football field in high school. But again, because hes not as tall we dont see nearly as many highlight reel dunks as, say, Blake Griffin who is a foot taller.

It all depends on how athleticism is defined.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 09:58 PM
PG: Allen Iverson
SG: MJ
SF: Lebron
PF: Kemp

Yeah man iverson definitely has an argument

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 10:04 PM
Athleticism is always so subjective.

Does height count toward athleticism? Nate Robinson has a higher proportional vertical than Russ, but doesnt have the overall size to throw it down the same way consistently. So whom do you say is more athletic?

Allen Iverson was basically Michael Vick on the football field in high school. But again, because hes not as tall we dont see nearly as many highlight reel dunks as, say, Blake Griffin who is a foot taller.

It all depends on how athleticism is defined.

Good point. I think we're more fascinated by bigger and taller guys when they have crazy athleticism so we put more value in it. That's the good thing about going by position because most of the candidates are around the same height.

RRR3
09-12-2021, 10:15 PM
T-Mac deserves a mention. He hasn’t been mentioned yet.

iamgine
09-12-2021, 10:19 PM
The most athletic players are probably scrubs like James White or Spud Webb.

nayte
09-12-2021, 10:31 PM
I would take Rose over Russ and the pg spot

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2021, 10:40 PM

Spud was hardly a scrub :facepalm

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-12-2021, 11:29 PM
Griff and Kemp were super athletic. Same with Worm.

Wilt is def he best athlete at center. but I'll give Russell a shoutout. He was an Olympic level high-jumper. Ran track and field too. Its no wonder he was everywhere on the court :applause:

Elosha
09-13-2021, 05:57 AM
Shaq is getting seriously underrated here as an athlete. Look at him in his prime at Orlando and his prime with LA. I think he compares very favorably to Wilt in explosiveness, strength, and he's definitely quicker overall than Wilt. Overall speed and stamina might go to a young Wilt, but again that's why all this is debatable. Also, I think Dwight Howard should be mentioned, because his athleticism and strength in his prime was off the charts. Hell, even DeAndre Jordan was an incredible athlete. And David Robinson could jump over the moon and maybe is the fastest end-to-end center to ever play the game. All of these centers could have a legitimate or at least possible argument.

Manny98
09-13-2021, 07:04 AM
Westbrook
Wade
LeBron
Josh Smith
David Robinson

09-13-2021, 07:25 AM
Dennis Smith Jr
Shannon Brown
Gerald Green
Aaron Gordon
Javale McGee

k0kakw0rld
09-13-2021, 08:28 AM

He said athlete not player.

Bronbron23
09-13-2021, 09:14 AM
I would take Rose over Russ and the pg spot

Shit yeah forgot about rose. That's a tough one

Bronbron23
09-13-2021, 09:15 AM
T-Mac deserves a mention. He hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Yeah only thing is i think he's a sf and that's the same position as bron.

Bronbron23
09-13-2021, 09:18 AM

Yeah problem with spud or james white is they're probably not very strong. D rose or westbrook are probably close in jumping and speed but they're probably alot stronger than spud. Same goes with white who i think was a sf. He an jump higher than bron but i think bron is faster and he's definitely stronger.

Bronbron23
09-13-2021, 09:20 AM
Westbrook
Wade
LeBron
Josh Smith
David Robinson

Wade more athletic than mj? It's not crazy but i disagree. Mj could jump higher and was just as fast. Not sure was stronger but alot players talk about how strong mj was. I have heard the same about wade although he does look and seem pretty strong.

Bronbron23
09-13-2021, 09:25 AM
Dennis Smith Jr
Shannon Brown
Gerald Green
Aaron Gordon
Javale McGee

Interesting picks. I like the brown and gordon picks. Can't argue mj over brown or kemp over gordon. I would say wilt was a significantly better athlete than mcgee. He could jump as high if not higher and he was definitely faster and stronger. He also had way better body control and dexterity. I don't know about dennis smith jr. I haven't watched much of him but he's definitely athletic. I don't think he's on a d rose westbrook level though but i'd have to look again

SaintzFury13
09-13-2021, 10:09 AM
I disagree with davis but i won't argue it but you think shaq is more athletic than wilt?

To be fair, Shaq in his orlando days was an unreal athlete. But I can't agree with any list that doesn't have Wilt at the center position.

iamgine
09-13-2021, 10:19 AM
Yeah problem with spud or james white is they're probably not very strong. D rose or westbrook are probably close in jumping and speed but they're probably alot stronger than spud. Same goes with white who i think was a sf. He an jump higher than bron but i think bron is faster and he's definitely stronger.

Not if you don't consider strength as part of athleticism. Stephen Adams is often considered the strongest player but no one consider him very athletic. In the meantime, Ja Morant is probably not very strong but people consider him very athletic, even as rookie.

RRR3
09-13-2021, 10:52 AM
Yeah only thing is i think he's a sf and that's the same position as bron.
I always thought of him as a SG

FireDavidKahn
09-13-2021, 11:12 AM

Magic wasn't some super athlete...Westbrook is easily and unquestionably more athletic then Magic.

Bronbron23
09-13-2021, 12:44 PM
To be fair, Shaq in his orlando days was an unreal athlete. But I can't agree with any list that doesn't have Wilt at the center position.

True orlando was insane. Just not sure he was on wilts level. The one argument that some might make is strength but apparently wilt was stupid strong also so even that's debatable i guess.

Carbine
09-13-2021, 12:55 PM
I think Young Amare was as good an athlete at PF as I've ever seen.

Bronbron23
09-13-2021, 01:14 PM
Not if you don't consider strength as part of athleticism. Stephen Adams is often considered the strongest player but no one consider him very athletic. In the meantime, Ja Morant is probably not very strong but people consider him very athletic, even as rookie.

True depends on what u consider athleticism. I consider it to be all of the above. Speed, jumping, strength how far you can throw ect. In basketball all we can really go by is speed, strength and jumping fir the most part. You could throw in body control. Someone like Kyrie erving or mj back in the day had insane body control.

iamgine
09-13-2021, 01:22 PM
True depends on what u consider athleticism. I consider it to be all of the above. Speed, jumping, strength how far you can throw ect. In basketball all we can really go by is speed, strength and jumping fir the most part. You could throw in body control. Someone like Kyrie erving or mj back in the day had insane body control.

I just go by what most people generally consider athleticism in basketball. If someone else want to consider strength or body control or height or even foot size part of it, that's fine.

Bronbron23
09-13-2021, 01:36 PM
I just go by what most people generally consider athleticism in basketball. If someone else want to consider strength or body control or height or even foot size part of it, that's fine.

I think most people consider strength part of athleticism. Isn't that why bron is generally considered the games most athletic player ever? It's not just his speed or jumping ability that sets him apart. It's those things combined with how big and strong he is that's earned him that title. It's the same with bo jackson.

09-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Of course people count more things than vertical. Why would folks like Shaq be considered athletic if that wasn't the case.

iamgine
09-13-2021, 02:22 PM
I think most people consider strength part of athleticism. Isn't that why bron is generally considered the games most athletic player ever? It's not just his speed or jumping ability that sets him apart. It's those things combined with how big and strong he is that's earned him that title. It's the same with bo jackson.

Just like Shaq or Wilt or a superfat agile sumo wrestler, when people say most athletic, they mean for their size. Unless we're also including height, weight, body contour as part of athleticism, it's a separate thing.

Jasper
09-13-2021, 11:28 PM
I believe Giannis could be placed on OP PF list.

Gougou
09-14-2021, 03:30 AM
Westbrook (was also think about prime D Rose or Kyrie, Kyrie ball-handling is way too good)
Jordan
Lebron
Giannis
Shaq

HoopsNY
09-14-2021, 09:03 AM
Westbrook
Jordan
LeBron
Giannis
Wilt

RogueBorg
09-14-2021, 11:03 AM
Pg: westbrook
Sg: mj
Sf: bron
Pf: shawn kemp
C: wilt chamberlain

Not sure about kemp at pf but i'm drawing a blank at the competition at the moment. Plus there may be players in the 80's or before that i'm missing that i never really saw.

Who yall got?

Younger Barkley was quite an athlete. So was a young Shaq. Since I never saw Chamberlain I'm going to go with 1992-1996 Shaquille O'Neal at center and 1985-1993 Barkley at PF.

expansionera
09-14-2021, 11:10 AM
MJ fanatics freak out when they realize 3/5ths of the all time most athletic players at their position play in the modern era.

MrFonzworth
09-14-2021, 11:24 AM
PG: McConnell
SG: Jordan
SF: Bran
PF: Griffin

97 bulls
09-14-2021, 11:45 AM

Lol

Bronbron23
09-14-2021, 01:10 PM
MJ fanatics freak out when they realize 3/5ths of the all time most athletic players at their position play in the modern era.

3/5ths don't though. Bron is the only one that's not arguable. You could easily put players from different era's in the other 4 spots.

And even if that was the case why would it bother mj fans? It's the most athletic list not best player list.

Bronbron23
09-14-2021, 01:17 PM
Younger Barkley was quite an athlete. So was a young Shaq. Since I never saw Chamberlain I'm going to go with 1992-1996 Shaquille O'Neal at center and 1985-1993 Barkley at PF.

That's fair. Barkley was crazy athletic and so was shaq even though i disagree. Based on the footage i'ves seen on wilt i'd say shaq dosn't have an argument. It's pretty clear wilt was faster and jumped higher and was just an overall better athlete. The only argument that shaq has is strength and i don't even know if he wins that argument. Apparently wilt was strong as hell.

expansionera
09-14-2021, 01:22 PM
3/5ths don't though. Bron is the only one that's not arguable. You could easily put players from different era's in the other 4 spots.

And even if that was the case why would it bother mj fans? It's the most athletic list not best player list.

Lebron just happened to play in an era where players had more athleticism AND more skill

bizil
09-14-2021, 02:13 PM
Russ
MJ
Bron
Greek Freak
Wilt

Bronbron23
09-14-2021, 03:07 PM
Lebron just happened to play in an era where players had more athleticism AND more skill

Again that's debatable. Skill isn't better it's just different. There's less skill in the post and mid and more skill on the perimeter. As far as athleticism it's impossible to say

expansionera
09-14-2021, 03:16 PM
Again that's debatable. Skill isn't better it's just different. There's less skill in the post and mid and more skill on the perimeter. As far as athleticism it's impossible to say
Today’s players have the capability of scoring in the post and mid range (see a relatively low skilled player such as Fultz with bad form’s ability to endlessly drain on the move mid range jumpers a la Jordan), it’s just a low IQ inefficient shot comparatively to the three. Lebron could be Malone if he so chose, Malone could never be Lebron who is not in conversation for the league MVP despite being a far superior player to elderly Malone.

90s players needed the three point line pushed up in order to shoot a horrendous percentage comparatively to today’s NBA role players.

MrFonzworth
09-14-2021, 03:32 PM

Cool another one of these accounts

jlip
09-14-2021, 03:48 PM

Dennis Smith Jr
Shannon Brown
Gerald Green
Aaron Gordon
Javale McGee

I agree with the sentiments, if not necessarily the names, in these two posts.

CTbasketball92
09-14-2021, 04:38 PM
PG: Westbrook: His combo of power, speed, first step and versatile bounce and motor are ridiculous. All GOAT levels.

SG: No question it's MJ, who is probably the greatest athlete in NBA History. Ran the fastest, was the quickest, had the best reflexes, the best balance, the best coordination, agility, best feet, great strength, etc.

Small Forward: Like MJ in terms of having GOAT functional athleticism and run/jump athleticism, turn in some of the agility for GOAT power.

Power Forward: Charles Barkley or Zion Williamson. Zion is basically MJ in that he's got the body control of a 6'1" guard but has a 45-inch vertical and is equally explosive off one foot or two. But Zion is 300 pounds and is a bit less fast in the open court, though his first step is devastating.

Center: Wilt: Wilt could jump super high and was super fast and strong, but then you add in his size and it's crazy. Someone like Shaq might also work.

Xiao Yao You
09-14-2021, 10:02 PM
Bill Walton
Connie Hawkins
Dominique Wilkens
Darrell Griffith
Steve Francis

LeCola
09-14-2021, 10:14 PM
Doing things on air-wise:

Rose
Lavine/White
Carter
Gordon
Amare

Strenght-wise:

Westbrook
Jordan
Lebron
Giannis
Shaq

RRR3
09-14-2021, 10:50 PM
Bill Walton
Connie Hawkins
Dominique Wilkens
Darrell Griffith
Steve Francis
Wtf is this shit

Xiao Yao You
09-14-2021, 11:13 PM
Wtf is this shit

great athletes

Thenameless
09-14-2021, 11:39 PM
Wtf is this shit

When you see Bill Walton, you gotta know the guy is joking.

Xiao Yao You
09-14-2021, 11:51 PM

incredible athlete

Bronbron23
09-15-2021, 02:37 PM

Prime walton was actually pretty athletic. I don't think he deserves to be on this list though

Gohan
09-15-2021, 03:04 PM
Wtf is this shit

Educate yourself

Xiao Yao You
09-15-2021, 04:33 PM
Educate yourself

an educated troll? :lol