PDA

View Full Version : Most feel that Kareem's total points record + 6 rings isn't enough to pass MJ so.....

3ba11
09-15-2021, 07:06 PM
Why would Lebron's total points record + 4 rings be enough?

Can't put a square peg through a round hole - can't force goat upon someone that isn't worthy

The fact that people think Lebron doing LESS than Kareem gives him a better goat case proves it's all false and manufactured - only MJ has a goat case

Axe
09-15-2021, 07:10 PM
2/7 or february 7

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2021, 07:12 PM
Jordan is better, he was a superstar for all his rings. Kareem is like duncan, he won a few rings as a superstar but then transitioned into only allstar or role player level for the rest of them.

Kareem has 2 rings as a superstar level

2 as allstar level

1 as role player level

1 as bench warmer level

also 1980 lakers had a 116 offensive rating in closeout game without kareem, people would kill jordan if bulls did that without him in a finals closeout game.

SaintzFury13
09-15-2021, 07:22 PM
Why would Lebron's total points record + 4 rings be enough?

Because Kareem had Magic Johnson for five of them. If LeBron had a top 10 all time great player for all of his rings you'd have a point.

Can't put a square peg through a round hole - can't force goat upon someone that isn't worthy

Then stop claiming Kobe's the GOAT when he's not even a top 10 player.

The fact that people think Lebron doing LESS than Kareem gives him a better goat case proves it's all false and manufactured - only MJ has a goat case

Kobe did less than Kareem. And you've gone on record stating that Kobe is the GOAT. How the hell is Kobe deserving when LeBron, whose done far more, isn't?

SaintzFury13
09-15-2021, 07:24 PM
Jordan is better, he was a superstar for all his rings. Kareem is like duncan, he won a few rings as a superstar but then transitioned into only allstar or role player level for the rest of them.

2 as allstar level

1 as role player level

1 as bench warmer level

also 1980 lakers had a 116 offensive rating in closeout game without kareem, people would kill jordan if bulls did that without him in a finals closeout game.

You see what you just did there 3ball? You see what you just did?

You made HBK_Kliq_2 right about something.

That's how dumb you are.

(well, he was almost right on everything he said, but it's one of the rare posts he's made where it sounded like he knew what he was talking about).

coastalmarker99
09-15-2021, 07:30 PM
You see what you just did there 3ball? You see what you just did?

You made HBK_Kliq_2 right about something.

That's how dumb you are.

(well, he was almost right on everything he said, but it's one of the rare posts he's made where it sounded like he knew what he was talking about).

The main reason why Kareem is not viewed as the GOAT is that he won only one title in the second weakest decade ever.

The NBA added 8 Expansion Teams 1970-1976.

1970: Clippers, Cavaliers, Trailblazers

1974: Jazz

1976: Nuggets, Pacers, Nets, Spurs

The overall team winning percentages of these franchises those years:

7 seasons:

Clippers: .40.4

Cavs: .40.2

Blazers: .38.2

3 seasons:

Jazz: .39.0

1 season:

Nuggets: .61.0

Pacers:.43.9

Nets: .26.8

Spurs: .53.8

That's a weighted average of a .43.9 winning percentage. Awful teams.

And yet

First 10 seasons for Kareem

Kareem's teams in PO

9-7 in series

44-34 in games

1 title

2 total Finals

coastalmarker99
09-15-2021, 07:32 PM
In Kareem’s 5 seasons without one of the 2 best point guards ever, which also should be 5 of, if not his 5 best seasons (ages 27-31)

Kareem:

Missed the playoffs twice – Left a team that had the same exact record after he left with the same main pieces intact

Got swept once (With home-court advantage) – Won a grand total of 2 playoff series (one of which required 2 victories to win) –

Beat 0 teams with 50+ wins (While playing alongside 3 HOF players along the way in Goodrich, Wilkes, and Dantley.

Keep in mind Jordan, Kobe, Duncan, and LeBron are a combined 48-1 vs sub-50 win teams, so it is an accurate cutoff in deciding whether a team is elite or not).

Won 2 MVPs (one of which he won without making the playoffs in 1976)

Axe
09-15-2021, 07:39 PM
The main reason why Kareem is not viewed as the GOAT is that he won only one title in the second weakest decade ever.

The NBA added 8 Expansion Teams 1970-1976.

1970: Clippers, Cavaliers, Trailblazers

1974: Jazz

1976: Nuggets, Pacers, Nets, Spurs

The overall team winning percentages of these franchises those years:

7 seasons:

Clippers: .40.4

Cavs: .40.2

Blazers: .38.2

3 seasons:

Jazz: .39.0

1 season:

Nuggets: .61.0

Pacers:.43.9

Nets: .26.8

Spurs: .53.8

That's a weighted average of a .43.9 winning percentage. Awful teams.

And yet

First 10 seasons for Kareem

Kareem's teams in PO

9-7 in series

44-34 in games

1 title

2 total Finals

In Kareem’s 5 seasons without one of the 2 best point guards ever, which also should be 5 of, if not his 5 best seasons (ages 27-31)

Kareem:

Missed the playoffs twice – Left a team that had the same exact record after he left with the same main pieces intact

Got swept once (With home-court advantage) – Won a grand total of 2 playoff series (one of which required 2 victories to win) –

Beat 0 teams with 50+ wins (While playing alongside 3 HOF players along the way in Goodrich, Wilkes, and Dantley.

Keep in mind Jordan, Kobe, Duncan, and LeBron are a combined 48-1 vs sub-50 win teams, so it is an accurate cutoff in deciding whether a team is elite or not).

Won 2 MVPs (one of which he won without making the playoffs in 1976)
It doesn't change the fact that he still also has thrice the amount of your hero's rings too. Just saying. ;)

Manny98
09-15-2021, 07:41 PM
LeBron had a legit shot at GOAT which ended in 2011

He's still up there in the conversation, but that one chokejob really hurt his GOAT case

expansionera
09-15-2021, 07:54 PM
*yawn* another GOAT discussion fixated on rings as a measurement for individual aptitude as a ball player as though they are not a team accomplishment. What’s that? Bill Russell doesn’t count, oh no Robert Horry either? :roll:

Jordan fans start to foam at the mouth when you point out Phil Jackson has five rings completely independently of Jordan and Scottie took one of those historic championship teams to 7 games by himself. It’s almost as if Jordan stacked the deck in a weak expansion era

Axe
09-15-2021, 08:00 PM
*yawn* another GOAT discussion fixated on rings as a measurement for individual aptitude as a ball player as though they are not a team accomplishment. What’s that? Bill Russell doesn’t count, oh no Robert Horry either? :roll:

Jordan fans start to foam at the mouth when you point out Phil Jackson has five rings completely independently of Jordan and Scottie took one of those historic championship teams to 7 games by himself. It’s almost as if Jordan stacked the deck in a weak expansion era
Yet according to op, the zen master had five rings with a mj clone. And that the system he used in his coaching, which is the triangle offense, is only effective when you have ball hogs with potential to be like scoring machines.

8Ball
09-15-2021, 08:17 PM
Once LeBron passes 40K points, its over between bron and jordan for global arguments.

StrongLurk
09-15-2021, 10:56 PM
Because Kareem had Magic Johnson for five of them. If LeBron had a top 10 all time great player for all of his rings you'd have a point.

Kobe did less than Kareem. And you've gone on record stating that Kobe is the GOAT. How the hell is Kobe deserving when LeBron, whose done far more, isn't?

Did you just say Kobe is not a top ten player of all time? See, it's posters like you that help create deranged posters like 3ball.

You can try to hide behind objectivity Saintz, but the more you post, the more you just seem like a huge Lebron stan. Putting Kobe outside of the top 10 is just as bad as 3ball slotting Kobe at number 2 all time.

MadDog
09-15-2021, 11:01 PM
Did you just say Kobe is not a top ten player of all time? See, it's posters like you that help create deranged posters like 3ball.

You can try to hide behind objectivity Saintz, but the more you post, the more you just seem like a huge Lebron stan. Putting Kobe outside of the top 10 is just as bad as 3ball slotting Kobe at number 2 all time.

He actually has Jordan & Kobe 1a/b lol. But I agree, Kobe is in the top 10. While I do have him around 9 or 10, though, is putting Kobe 11th a bad thing? :confusedshrug: 8-10 can be argued between Bird/Hakeem/Duncan who all have impressive peak & prime play.

Axe
09-15-2021, 11:02 PM

So what's his ideal all-time rating then?

SouBeachTalents
09-15-2021, 11:02 PM

Having Kobe outside the top 10 is a perfectly reasonable and logical opinion. In fact I'd say more than half of top 10 lists don't have Kobe on them.

sdot_thadon
09-15-2021, 11:12 PM
Op still thinks raw counts of anything should determine a goat, upgrade your software buddy. It won't be just a ring count or point total that make Lebron's case going forward, it will be the totality of his career. Which of course is among the best ever, just as Mj had a case with 3 rings and no where near Kareem's amount of points.

StrongLurk
09-15-2021, 11:14 PM
Kobe is obviously ahead of guys like Hakeem and Bill Russell at worst. So yeah Kobe is in the top 10.

I use tiers by the way to place players.

Tier 1 - MJ
Tier 2 - Bron, Kareem, Wilt
Tier 3 - Shaq, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Bird.

So I'd be fine with Kobe anywhere from top 5-9. But actually outside of the top 10...come on, that's literally just a symptom of being a Lebron stan (and therefore Kobe hater).

SouBeachTalents
09-15-2021, 11:19 PM
Kobe is obviously ahead of guys like Hakeem and Bill Russell at worst. So yeah Kobe is in the top 10.

Tier 1 - MJ

So I'd be fine with Kobe anywhere from top 5-9. But actually outside of the top 10...come on, that's literally just a symptom of being a Lebron stan (and therefore Kobe hater).
Ok, and that's your opinion :lol We're doing an all time list right now and Kobe very likely won't make the top 10, just as he didn't make realgm's latest list, the backpicks one, among several others I could probably find. You have Kobe top 10? Great. But to act like having him 11th is outrageous is ridiculous lol

TheCorporation
09-15-2021, 11:21 PM
Jordan, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe. They all have a long way to go. Sorry bout it Kobe3ball

https://i.postimg.cc/j5xHFvqz/Le7631._Unbreakable.png

MadDog
09-15-2021, 11:23 PM
Ok, and that's your opinion :lol We're doing an all time list right now and Kobe very likely won't make the top 10, just as he didn't make realgm's latest list, the backpicks one, among several others I could probably find. You have Kobe top 10? Great. But to act like having him 11th is outrageous is ridiculous lol

Kobe will probably make #10 in dankok's project. Bird & Duncan will round about the 8th and 9th slots, while Kobe likely finishes 10th. :confusedshrug: I have said repeatedly he is somewhere in the 9-10 range - but ya, 11 isn't much of a difference lol. Especially if "tiers" are your thing.

StrongLurk
09-15-2021, 11:24 PM

No one can make an argument for Kobe objectively not belonging in the top 10.

The lists that have him outside the top 10 are mostly made by a combination of Lebron stans and people too young to have watched Kobe's whole career.

sdot_thadon
09-15-2021, 11:37 PM

Tier 1 - MJ

I'm not saying he doesn't belong in the top 10, he has a case for the lower portion, but.....how can he be obviously ahead of a guy like Russell who basically won all his life, has 5 mvps and perhaps would have more fmvps than Mj if the trophy named after him was awarded during his career. Not to mention coached a team he played on to a chip? I'd say the opposite was more clear. You have to remember the big deal in these top 10 discussions is you're pitting Kobe as a guy who only won 2 rings as the main gun to guys who have double and triple those amounts....and it's goes without saying there's a ton of nuance to be had in these conversations as well. But I wouldn't say he's obviously over any top 10ish guy and if I did say it, I'd only be looking at maybe a guy or 2.

TheCorporation
09-15-2021, 11:39 PM
No one can make an argument for Kobe objectively not belonging in the top 10.

The lists that have him outside the top 10 are mostly made by a combination of Lebron stans and people too young to have watched Kobe's whole career.

Easily done...

1. LBJ
2. KAJ
3. MJ
4. Magic
5. Russel
6. Duncan
7. Shaq
8. Wilt
9. Bird
10. Hakeem
---
11. Kobe

warriorfan
09-15-2021, 11:40 PM
LeBron had a legit shot at GOAT which ended in 2011

He's still up there in the conversation, but that one chokejob really hurt his GOAT case

This

3ba11
09-16-2021, 12:36 AM

If the Heat had won the 2011 title, that would've given Wade 2 FMVP and 4 chips for his career, which is borderline top 10 resume and right there with Kobe.

And AD has the best stats of all-time outside of MJ and Lebron.. Literally.. He's a top 10 all-time producer

So only Kyrie was a mortal sidekick for Lebron... oh wait - he destroyed the league MVP - imagine if Pippen destroyed MVP Barkley or Malone (he didn't), which makes all of Jordan's rings > Lebron's 16' ring

Kobe is borderline top 10 by most people, just like Wade would be if Lebron hadn't ruined the 2011 ring, and therefore cost Wade from having 2 FMVP and 4 chips (top 10 caliber resume).

Ball-dominators and centers need the most help, so they rank below goat-tier scorers like MJ, Kobe, and Bird (guys with elite jumpshooting skill and quick-iso ability, aka assassin scorers).. Similarly, other assassin scorers like KD, Kawhi and Giannis will enter the top 10 (above all the centers & ball-dominators) once they win 1 more ring each.

Stats don't matter so much when the player in question plays the best WAY - no ball-dominator could be ranked above Kobe, who employed the best brand of basketball so his teams reached the highest ceiling/Finals record.. Kobe wasn't employing a westbrooking losing style (inferior skill) - he was winning titles in the triangle (superior skill).

SouBeachTalents
09-16-2021, 01:27 AM
If the Heat had won the 2011 title, that would've given Wade 2 FMVP and 4 chips for his career, which is borderline top 10 resume and right there with Kobe.

And AD has the best stats of all-time outside of MJ and Lebron.. Literally.. He's a top 10 all-time producer

So only Kyrie was a mortal sidekick for Lebron... oh wait - he destroyed the league MVP - imagine if Pippen destroyed MVP Barkley or Malone (he didn't), which makes all of Jordan's rings > Lebron's 16' ring

Kobe is borderline top 10 by most people, just like Wade would be if Lebron hadn't ruined the 2011 ring, and therefore cost Wade from having 2 FMVP and 4 chips (top 10 caliber resume).

Ball-dominators and centers need the most help, so they rank below goat-tier scorers like MJ, Kobe, and Bird (guys with elite jumpshooting skill and quick-iso ability, aka assassin scorers).. Similarly, other assassin scorers like KD, Kawhi and Giannis will enter the top 10 (above all the centers & ball-dominators) once they win 1 more ring each.

Stats don't matter so much when the player in question plays the best WAY - no ball-dominator could be ranked above Kobe, who employed the best brand of basketball so his teams reached the highest ceiling/Finals record.. Kobe wasn't employing a westbrooking losing style (inferior skill) - he was winning titles in the triangle (superior skill).
https://c.tenor.com/ZcgPR5IVN9MAAAAd/breaking-bad-hank-schrader.gif

3ba11
09-16-2021, 01:33 AM
https://c.tenor.com/ZcgPR5IVN9MAAAAd/breaking-bad-hank-schrader.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-16-2021/lsyhw2.gif

RRR3
09-16-2021, 01:37 AM
Hassan Whiteside is one of the greatest players of all time by that stat, Snivelly.

Tell us when the anvil fell on your head I’m curious.

Axe
09-16-2021, 01:45 AM
Why is kobe nowhere to be found in this list? Care to explain?

SouBeachTalents
09-16-2021, 01:47 AM
Being 3rd in one category doesn't make you a top 10 producer all time ya fcking doofus :lol I think literally the only other criteria AD is top 10 in in any capacity is playoff ppg, and that's in large part due to his extremely brief sample size, hence why Donavan Mitchell's top 5 with roughly the same amount of games played

RRR3
09-16-2021, 01:50 AM
Being 3rd in one category doesn't make you a top 10 producer all time ya fcking doofus :lol I think literally the only other criteria AD is top 10 in in any capacity is playoff ppg, and that's in large part due to his extremely brief sample size, hence why Donavan Mitchell's top 5 with roughly the same amount of games played
You mean a stat that thinks Enes Kanter is one of the GOATs is flawed?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-16-2021, 01:51 AM

He'll post all this shit that paints Lebron in a good light....and then turn around saying dude is a low-skilled bum.

If anyone can make sense of that, break it down :oldlol:

RRR3
09-16-2021, 01:55 AM
He'll post all this shit that paints Lebron in a good light....and then turn around saying dude is a low-skilled bum.

He claims MJ>LeBron because stats but Kobe is >both of them because…..???? I seriously wonder if he can tie his shoes.

3ba11
09-16-2021, 02:06 AM
He claims MJ>LeBron because stats but Kobe is >both of them because…..???? I seriously wonder if he can tie his shoes.

MJ is better than Lebron for a whole lot more than stats.. my posts list a lot more reasons than just stats...

Stats, winning, accolades, and inventing a skillset that turned a 50-year losing offense into a 6-time champion - and this mid-range skillset has been used by every clutch player since to win titles, including Kobe, KD, Dirk, and Kawhi...

and Jordan's on-ball/off-ball skillset also allowed better teammate fits/maximization and team strategy/team ceiling/Finals records.

So Lebron is several dimensions below jordan.

RRR3
09-16-2021, 02:08 AM
MJ is better than Lebron for a whole lot more than stats.. my posts list a lot more reasons than just stats...

Stats, winning, accolades, and inventing a skillset that turned a 50-year losing offense into a 6-time champion - and this mid-range skillset has been used by every clutch player since to win titles, including Kobe, KD, Dirk, and Kawhi...

and MJ's skillset also allowed better teammate fits/maximization and team strategy/team ceiling/Finals records.

So Lebron is several dimensions below jordan.
How come you’re addicted to lying and struggle to tie your shoes?

clipps
09-16-2021, 02:14 AM
The league would be much better off if LeBron tore his achilles... It might eventually become watchable. The NBA is an absolute joke.

SouBeachTalents
09-16-2021, 03:02 AM

He argues literally both sides of the issue just to back whatever agenda he's trying to push at the moment :lol

LeBron thread: Stats don't matter, Kobe > LeBron

Pippen thread: Stats are all that matter, Pippen < Mo

He ends up constantly contradicting his own arguments and making an ass out of himself. He's essentially this guy in every debate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNKZ0Qlp6w

RRR3
09-16-2021, 03:09 AM
He argues literally both sides of the issue just to back whatever agenda he's trying to push at the moment :lol

LeBron thread: Stats don't matter, Kobe > LeBron

Pippen thread: Stats are all that matter, Pippen < Mo

He ends up constantly contradicting his own arguments and making an ass out of himself. He's essentially this guy in every debate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNKZ0Qlp6w
It all makes sense when you realize he’s retarded.

3ba11
09-16-2021, 03:21 AM
How come you’re addicted to lying and struggle to tie your shoes?

What branch of skills did Lebron invent that is used by every clutch player to win titles since?

Because that's what Jordan did - the quick-iso footwork he invented to produce a lot in the triangle (aka mid-range game) has been used by every clutch player since to win titles, including Kobe, KD, Dirk, Kawhi and nearly Booker, among others.

RRR3
09-16-2021, 03:37 AM
What branch of skills did Lebron invent that is used by every clutch player to win titles since?

Because that's what Jordan did - the quick-iso footwork he invented to produce a lot in the triangle (aka mid-range game) has been used by every clutch player since to win titles, including Kobe, KD, Dirk, Kawhi and nearly Booker, among others.
I told you no more running to your MJ pacifier. We all know you’re not a MJ fan now

8Ball
09-16-2021, 09:11 AM
The league would be much better off if LeBron tore his achilles... It might eventually become watchable. The NBA is an absolute joke.

You are a life coward and an absolute joke as a poster.

Jasper
09-16-2021, 10:34 AM

2 as allstar level

1 as role player level

1 as bench warmer level

huh ?

Kenny Griffin
09-16-2021, 11:19 AM

2 as allstar level

1 as role player level

1 as bench warmer level

and lebron has zero rings without roids, collusion, bail outs, lockouts, bubbles, suspensions

real rings > fake ones

Kareem > lebron

forever and always

ShawkFactory
09-16-2021, 11:20 AM
So apparently Jordan invented the midrange game :lol

expansionera
09-16-2021, 11:26 AM
Most veteran fans don’t value Jordan’s rings the same way they do rings of other Hall of Famers. For instance Lebron James' teams were favorites in just three of the ten Finals he played in, and he split them. Jordan's were favored in all six.

Jordan doesn’t get additional points for stacking the deck against inferior competition :roll: Kareem and Lebron actually had to play against competition

8Ball
09-16-2021, 12:28 PM
Most veteran fans don’t value Jordan’s rings the same way they do rings of other Hall of Famers. For instance Lebron James' teams were favorites in just three of the ten Finals he played in, and he split them. Jordan's were favored in all six.

Jordan doesn’t get additional points for stacking the deck against inferior competition :roll: Kareem and Lebron actually had to play against competition

No other super teams in the 90s besides Jordan bulls.

Was like Bill Russell 60s rings.

3ba11
09-16-2021, 12:32 PM

Jordan + any all-star = favorite

Otoh, Lebron hand-picked the preseason favorite from 2011-2016, but fell to underdog or loser by the Finals every year except the Ray Allen miracle.. Lebron-ball simply underwhelms, regardless of how good the cast looks on paper.

Imagine mostly losing with super-teams and then trying to make a GOAT case, smh

8Ball
09-16-2021, 12:33 PM

There has been no answer to this for the 10 years I have been on this forum.

3ba11
09-16-2021, 12:35 PM
There has been no answer to this for the 10 years I have been on this forum.

No one thinks the Bulls were a super-team, which requires 3 all-stars

Only the 96' Sonics and 93' Bulls had 3 all-stars.... Not the Bulls

SaintzFury13

I don’t see how Kobe not being a top 10 all time great isn’t being objective. It’s becoming a much more popular opinion with each passing day and there are very valid reasons to believe that. Hell, we’re on the number 7 spot on this very website and Kobe doesn’t even have a vote yet, and that’s a list where guys like Bird, Duncan, Hakeem, and west haven’t even been listed yet. Putting Kobe outside the top ten isn’t even close to being as insane as putting Kobe at the number 2 spot. There are legitimate arguments that exist for Kobe not belonging in the top ten. There are no logical explanations for putting Kobe at number 2.

Also, how the hell does having Kobe outside the top ten make me look like a LeBron stan? What does LeBron have to do with how I view Kobe in terms of his all time rankings?

Manny98

Jordans bulls weren't even a superteam.