PDA

View Full Version : Kobe was a better player than durant

Gohan
09-15-2021, 08:20 PM
Im being serious too durant just doesnt seem to be as good as kobe

Manny98
09-15-2021, 08:23 PM
I love me some Kobe Bryant but...

https://media.giphy.com/media/Yl5i129jGy6eblZdAb/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47z7fdifgmhb7tsco6js3f1upk4phq kgtnyfq8xfjh&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

eliteballer
09-15-2021, 08:26 PM
Kevin Durant says Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant are the greatest players of all time

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/12/11/18136460/la-lakers-kevin-durant-michael-jordan-kobe-bryant-greatest-of-all-time-goat-allen-iverson

8Ball
09-15-2021, 08:28 PM
No.

Durant is a better basketball player. More talented. Same number of finals MVP. Same number of MVPs.

Durant will pass Kobe by the end of Durant's career.

Hey Yo
09-15-2021, 08:30 PM
I love me some Kobe Bryant

Yes we know, ImKobe.

paksat
09-15-2021, 08:56 PM
kobe is more skilled for sure, but KD's height is everything

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2021, 09:17 PM
I agree with OP here. Kobe is a better as of right now. We have to see how the rest of durants career plays out. Kobe won with pau gasol back to back rings.

Durants rings were even easier then playing with shaq. Curry, klay, draymond and all the injuries to kawhi and Chris Paul

So Kobe is overall the better and more impressive player.

SouBeachTalents
09-15-2021, 09:28 PM
I agree with OP here. Kobe is a better as of right now. We have to see how the rest of durants career plays out. Kobe won with pau gasol back to back rings.

Durants rings were even easier then playing with shaq. Curry, klay, draymond and all the injuries to kawhi and Chris Paul

So Kobe is overall the better and more impressive player.
Both better than Kawhi

Norcaliblunt
09-15-2021, 09:37 PM
I don’t think so.

Jacks3
09-15-2021, 09:49 PM
09 Kobe> Any version of KD

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2021, 10:46 PM
Both better than Kawhi

Neither have a playoff run as great as 2019 playoff kawhi, not even on the same planet.

Kawhi backdoor swept giannis, while Durant lost to giannis in a game 7 on his home court and air balled the game winner hahahahha

StrongLurk
09-15-2021, 10:47 PM
They are VERY close, I think you can make an argument that Kobe is still > Durant...but Durant is right on Kobe's tail.

bizil
09-16-2021, 12:14 AM
GOAT wise, KD could very well pass Kobe by. KD is on track to be a top 10 GOAT. He's already the 3rd GOAT SF in my opinion as it is. And once KD's floor game became very good (defense, passing, rebounding as a package), it put him on an level ON PAR with Kobe for sure peak-prime wise. I would say Kobe's passing and defense is better. BUT KD is a very good defender capable of defending more positions. KD is DAMN CLOSE to being a positionless type of player in the two way sense.

50-40-90 sharpshooter who is ARGUABLY the most skilled scorer we've ever seen. Can do a lot of the things MJ and Kobe can do. BUT he's ALSO one of the top 10 marksmen of all time! Peak-prime wise, you could go either way at this point. But KD is hands down a more UNIQUE player than Kobe. Can't name another 7 footer close to KD's type of attributes. Might lean Kobe because I can LEGIT SAY he's great at scoring, passing, defending, and rebounding his position! Plus his motor was higher than KD's as well.

Mask the Embiid
09-16-2021, 12:39 AM
I got kobe top 15 all time and kd top 20 all time...He still has time to catch kobe though

Axe
09-16-2021, 01:56 AM
Lol

Phoenix
09-16-2021, 02:41 AM
Neither have a playoff run as great as 2019 playoff kawhi, not even on the same planet.

Kawhi backdoor swept giannis, while Durant lost to giannis in a game 7 on his home court and air balled the game winner hahahahha

Well let's see, the 2019 Raptors were better than the Nets when you take away Harden and Kyrie, so just maybe circumstances play a part. The real hahahaha of last years playoffs is Kawhi going down with injury and playoff P takes over and leads the Clips to the WCFs. That was a real knee-slapper.

KD and Kobe > Kawhit Leotard.

FKAri
09-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Imho Kobe > KD.

Kobe may have had a tendency to get out of line and start chucking but overall his balliq and game management was way ahead of KD. In terms of defense, Kobe was the better man defender although KD at his best can give you some incredible overall defense. KD's a more stable scorer(higher lows) while Kobe's more explosive(higher highs). In the end the mental aspect is what separates them for me.

tpols
09-16-2021, 11:05 AM
Durant doesn't have kobes leadership abilities, mental or physical toughness. Durant wasn't putting up numbers nearly as dominant vs (old) Kobe as he does in today's inflated spaced out game. Artest and tony Allen types have locked him up in the playoffs and he'd see a lot more of that in previous eras. His handle would get ripped with hand checking.

Bronbron23
09-16-2021, 11:26 AM
Im being serious too durant just doesnt seem to be as good as kobe

It's a close call. People will argue stats but kd played his prime in a much easier scoring era than kobe who played the majority of his prime in one of the toughest scoring era's.

HoopsNY
09-16-2021, 11:45 AM
It's a close call. People will argue stats but kd played his prime in a much easier scoring era than kobe who played the majority of his prime in one of the toughest scoring era's.

Yea. KD joining a superteam has to count for something. But aside from that, look at the difference in his playoff statistics before/after the league goes ape shit on shooting 3s and spacing (no defense).

'10-'16: 29 PPG on 46/33/85 (58% TS)
'17-'21: 31 PPG on 52/40/89 (64% TS)

Some might say the first set of statistics don't include peak years, so they're to be discounted. But look at his 2016 stats. He led the league in playoff scoring but put up 43/28/89 splits.

KD benefitted from a style of play and superteam that few have in league history, including LeBron.

RRR3
09-16-2021, 12:21 PM
Yea. KD joining a superteam has to count for something. But aside from that, look at the difference in his playoff statistics before/after the league goes ape shit on shooting 3s and spacing (no defense).

Some might say the first set of statistics don't include peak years, so they're to be discounted. But look at his 2016 stats. He led the league in playoff scoring but put up 43/28/89 splits.

KD benefitted from a style of play and superteam that few have in league history, including LeBron.
KD was such a brick in the 2016 playoffs.

MadDog
09-16-2021, 12:44 PM
Its close but Kobe all the way because of his defense & playmaking. In the playoffs, without stacked decks BUT against better team defenses, Kobe was the more consistent player. He simply had more influence on the game.

ScottieQuitting
09-16-2021, 01:02 PM
Its close but Kobe all the way because of his defense & playmaking. In the playoffs, without stacked decks BUT against better team defenses, Kobe was the more consistent player. He simply had more influence on the game.
Truth.

Durant doesn't have kobes leadership abilities, mental or physical toughness. Durant wasn't putting up numbers nearly as dominant vs (old) Kobe as he does in today's inflated spaced out game. Artest and tony Allen types have locked him up in the playoffs and he'd see a lot more of that in previous eras. His handle would get ripped with hand checking.
Even Chris Paul has locked up Kevin Durant. Kobe is a better defender

ArbitraryWater
09-16-2021, 01:09 PM

Jacks3 holy shit

weird season to choose though

Sulico
09-16-2021, 01:15 PM
Not even close.

Both have 1 MVP, but Kobe have 5 chips wile Durant 2.

MadDog
09-16-2021, 01:20 PM
Truth.

Some will be quick to point out these playoffs, and Durant's 48\50 point games. While impressive and undoubtedly ALL TIME GREAT, he still had James Harden. :confusedshrug: A gimp James Harden however one who still got defensive attention. Harden is another all time offensive player, so just being there will keep a defense honest. Conversely, and after Shaq, Kobe never had a Harden or Curry. He had Pau Gasol who while a very good number 2, was nowhere near that superstar level.

The "real" Durant is the player we saw from 10-16. And to a lesser extent this last postseason. Still an incredible offensive player, but he hasn't done much to separate himself from Kobe - someone who while under duress gets you a bucket at the blink of an eye. Who matched up better with defensive terrors like Tony Allen.

Scoring aside, Durant's argument is largely weakened.

Dagoods
09-16-2021, 02:25 PM
Kobe was a 2-way threat, DURANT is not.

When the smoke clears:

GOLD STANDARD:

JORDAN (GOAT) - SG
LEBRON (SUPER TEAM GOAT) - SF

RUNNER UP:

KOBE - 2nd Greatest SG
DURANT - 2nd Greatest SF

Bronbron23
09-16-2021, 02:32 PM

Yeah man that's why comparing stats across era's is pointless. Different era's have different rules and play styles