PDA

View Full Version : Ben Simmons for Klay Thompson trade - Thoughts ?

jamesmax1991
09-17-2021, 10:17 AM
So Ben Simmons:
- only 25 year old with good potential and can still develop more
- not a good shooter but a really good defender
- can lock down the opposing team start player

Klay Thompson:
- coming off 2 years since he last played in the league
- no idea if he will be the same player - injury prone
- can really shoot/space the floor but also 31 years old - now on the downside of his prime

TRADE ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGWoFxELtaM

hold this L
09-17-2021, 10:20 AM
That makes zero sense. Warriors need shooting, and you want them to trade Klay for another guy that can't shoot? The only trade that makes sense for Ben Simmons on the Warriors is Draymond. Wiggins or Klay make no sense because the team will need Steph to continue scoring at record bad spacing. I'm not saying that the Warriors should make that trade, I'm just saying that's the only one that doesn't completely destroy the balance of the team.

Keep in mind Warriors were 5th defensively last season, and were 1st on that run towards the end of the season when Steph came back. When Steph was off the court last season, they had the worst OFF RTG in the last 5 seasons in the whole league. Also Steph had the second worst spacing after KAT. None of this helps them in issues they have and only beefs up things they did well enough in last year.

Wally450
09-17-2021, 10:22 AM
Big L for the Warriors if they do this.

Yes or No
09-17-2021, 10:23 AM
No.

ballhog5899
09-17-2021, 10:28 AM
Listen, if Klay Thompson isn't the same anymore, then yes this trade will be useful... but Simmons has to improve as well.

This is risky for both sides. I suggest we see how Klay is the first 2 weeks of the season and based on that, consider this trade!

ballhog5899
09-17-2021, 10:29 AM
Warriors still have curry (All time shooter) + andrew wiggins (ok shooter) so they will have shooting on the team. Simmons and Green can lock down any potential top 2 players on the opposing team

expansionera
09-17-2021, 10:34 AM
You need more offense than Curry and Wiggins to compete for a championship. If Klay comes back at 80% he’s still a damn good wing defender and shooter.

jamesmax1991
09-17-2021, 10:49 AM
I have my doubts that he will be back at 80% the same player, he suffered TWO lower body injuries that people dont usually come back from and hes been out of the league for 2 years straight.... I say pull the trigger and get simmons

Draymond's intensity will rub off on him and he will unlock his full potential

hold this L
09-17-2021, 10:55 AM
I have my doubts that he will be back at 80% the same player, he suffered TWO lower body injuries that people dont usually come back from and hes been out of the league for 2 years straight.... I say pull the trigger and get simmons

Draymond's intensity will rub off on him and he will unlock his full potential

This isn't an RPG where his stats are going to improve magically. What do Warriors do when they have two guys that can't shoot for shit on the floor at the same time while earning 80m a year put together?

Nobody is explaining how the shooting getting significantly worse is somehow going to work other than prayers and "you know.. it'll work somehow"

Bronbron23
09-17-2021, 11:09 AM
So Ben Simmons:

Klay Thompson:
- can really shoot/space the floor but also 31 years old - now on the downside of his prime

TRADE ?

This isn’t as easy of a call as some are making it out to be. If we're talking klay before the injuries it's not even a question but klay is coming off back to back series injuries and surgeries. He may only have a year or 2 left if his body continues to break down. Klay is clearly the better fit but it's irrelevant if he can't stay healthy and play.

hold this L
09-17-2021, 11:12 AM
This isn’t as easy of a call as some are making it out to be. If we're talking klay before the injuries it's not even a question but klay is coming off back to back series injuries and surgeries. He may only have a year or 2 left if his body continues to break down. Klay is clearly the better fit but it's irrelevant if he can't stay healthy and play.

Even if Klay is not fit, why would the Warriors spend 35m/year on a player that destroys the balance of the team? I'd rather get a no-defense playing Beal if Klay leaves than Simmons. The only fit for this guy is if Dray leaves. That way Simmons plays the 4 and won't be asked to be near the 3 point line.

Nobody seems to be addressing that the Warriors would have 80m worth of starters that can't shoot in Dray and Simmons. Draymond is one of the worst shooters and scorers in the league right now, Simmons is one of the worst shooters.

Bronbron23
09-17-2021, 11:35 AM
Even if Klay is not fit, why would the Warriors spend 35m/year on a player that destroys the balance of the team? I'd rather get a no-defense playing Beal if Klay leaves than Simmons. The only fit for this guy is if Dray leaves. That way Simmons plays the 4 and won't be asked to be near the 3 point line.

Nobody seems to be addressing that the Warriors would have 80m worth of starters that can't shoot in Dray and Simmons. Draymond is one of the worst shooters and scorers in the league right now, Simmons is one of the worst shooters.

Yeah for sure beal and probably alot of guys would be a better fit. I was just responding to the klay for simmons scenario. Tbh they'll never find a replacement for klay. He's the perfect fit for the warriors. Where are going to go out and find a great defender who's the second best shooter ever.

jamesmax1991
09-17-2021, 11:54 AM

EXACTLY! You have nailed it. I do not believe he is coming back as Klay, that will be impossible at 31 yo. Only thing working for him is that he can still shoot even if he isn't as athletic as before... However, he wont be the same defender anymore

crosstin
09-17-2021, 12:23 PM
It all depends on what Curry wants

ballhog5899
09-17-2021, 12:53 PM
So Ben Simmons:

Klay Thompson:

TRADE ?

What if you trade Simmons for Wiggins? Even for Draymond Green, this is will be much better as well

tontoz
09-17-2021, 01:16 PM
Warriors laugh at this.

The only way a Simmons to the Warriors trade works is if Draymond is part of the deal.

Bronbron23
09-17-2021, 02:02 PM
EXACTLY! You have nailed it. I do not believe he is coming back as Klay, that will be impossible at 31 yo. Only thing working for him is that he can still shoot even if he isn't as athletic as before... However, he wont be the same defender anymore

Yeah we'll see. I didn't think kd would come back and look as good as he did so u never know with how good modern medicine is now days. If klay could guarantee 3 or 4 healthy years where he's close to his prime i'd say klay for sure. If him and steph can win a chip during that time it be worth the short term investment over getting ben who should have alot more good years left.

Druckenmiller
09-17-2021, 03:33 PM
Ben Simmons would stagnate the Warriors offense. He stands around and does nothing anytime he doesn’t have the ball in his hands. What makes GS so good isnt just their shooting, but their ability and willingness to cut off the ball.

It sounds good on paper, but on the court it would be an impossible fit.

The Warriors best option to success is to stick with what they’ve got and hope Wiseman, Kobango improve quickly and KT returns to something close to what he was.

Simmons doesn’t move the needle and likey makes them worse

ballhog5899
09-17-2021, 04:17 PM
So Ben Simmons:

Klay Thompson:

TRADE ?

Latest trade rumor is Ben Simmons for Brandon Ingram :lol

The 76ers are taking all calls, they just want to move on !!

DoctorP
09-17-2021, 04:22 PM
I'd do the Simmons for Green swap.

Axe
09-17-2021, 05:30 PM
Will ben simmons be enough to propel stephen curry to a winning record plus playoff spot sans splash bro and all-star peers? :ohwell:

SaintzFury13
09-17-2021, 06:32 PM
So Ben Simmons:

Klay Thompson:

TRADE ?

No.

Real Men Wear Green
09-17-2021, 08:20 PM
Thompson has had season-ending and potentially career-altering injuries two straight seasons. Philly would be insane to do this. Simmons is flawed but he's still good enough at what he does well to be the basis of an offense (keep the ball in his hands and keep him in the paint) and a potential DPoY on the other side of the court. No he is not a go-to guy but this goes too far.

Jasper
09-17-2021, 08:32 PM
Simmons is a tweener ... send him to WNBA

Druckenmiller
09-17-2021, 10:21 PM
Simmons is a tweener ... send him to WNBA

Too soft. He’d be the biggest bitch in that league too.

ballhog5899
09-18-2021, 02:07 AM
So Ben Simmons:

Klay Thompson:

TRADE ?

Trade him to Dallas for Porzingis.... both equal value

insidehoops
10-12-2021, 11:28 AM
This is one to ponder.

The Warriors could use Ben Simmons as a forward.

And of course keep in mind the age difference between Simmons and Klay. Plus Klay coming off of multiple scary injuries.

LeCola
10-12-2021, 11:40 AM
Kerr could make him a great player.

His pace&space system needs high IQ players like Simmons.

Trading Simmons for Green and some players/picks could be good for Gsw.

Not sure about Klay.

Axe
10-12-2021, 09:48 PM
Steve kerr gets fired if ben simmons doesn't get stephen curry to a winning record plus a playoff spot under this scenario. :(

n00bie
10-12-2021, 10:39 PM
Imagine Simmons on a team that lives off of 3s. Hahahahahaahjah