PDA

View Full Version : What if your best opponent made two Finals in 20 years with Zero Rings?

ELITEpower23
09-18-2021, 07:22 PM
Would you be bashful about your best ring coming against the Original Trash Bros Stockton/Malone? They played 20 years together and never won shit.

All they had was multiple 1st round blunders and two Finals appearances with zero rings.

For reference
• Duncan has made 6 Finals
• Curry has made 5 Finals
• KD has made 4 Finals
• Kawhi has made 3 Finals

Interesting that Butler/Adebayo have both made 1 Final with zero rings and are close to tying Stockton's Finals appearance totals...

SaintzFury13
09-18-2021, 07:23 PM
I would argue that the Supersonics were the best opponents the Bulls ever had.

ELITEpower23
09-18-2021, 07:25 PM

The beauty of this post is that it truly says how bad 90s basketball is.

But yes I agree, they very well could be the best team that MJ ever beat and that's the telling part about 90s ball.

SaintzFury13
09-18-2021, 07:26 PM

Why? The Supersonics were a really great team.

expansionera
09-18-2021, 07:32 PM
Pippen is better than any guy they ever went up against not named Magic, expected results when you have the best player in basketball as your #2 guy, best coach and best third option amongst all teams in a diluted league. No one rates Schrempf, Kemp, Ainge, K Johnson, Greg Ostertag, or Byron Russell amongst the greatest players of all time.

Guys like Manu Ginobili, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Jason Kidd, James Harden, and Serge Ibaka as third and fourth options would have been entirely too much for Jordan to handle, he’d stay retired.

ELITEpower23
09-18-2021, 07:34 PM
Why? The Supersonics were a really great team.

Maybe for one year. They never even made the Conference Finals again after 1996.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4VqP0rb/Joke-of-a-Franchise.png

From 1994 to 2008 they had:

1x Finals appearance (1996 outlier year)
4x 1st round loss :lol
3x Lost in Conference Semis
7x Missed playoffs

8Ball
09-18-2021, 07:42 PM
I have been saying it on this forum for a decade, name me 1 superteam other than the Bulls in the 90s. You can't.

Meanwhile the 80s was a bloodbath.
2000s had Lakers / Spurs.

Cyrus334
09-18-2021, 08:15 PM
I have been saying it on this forum for a decade, name me 1 superteam other than the Bulls in the 90s. You can't.

Meanwhile the 80s was a bloodbath.
2000s had Lakers / Spurs.

Yeah but whose ever denied those claims outside 3ball lol? The 90's isn't an era known for superteams. The Bulls weren't even a superteam until 1996 when they got Rodman, before that it was just Pip and Jordan going up against teams led by 1 superstar.

SaintzFury13
09-18-2021, 08:35 PM
Maybe for one year. They never even made the Conference Finals again after 1996.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4VqP0rb/Joke-of-a-Franchise.png

From 1994 to 2008 they had:

1x Finals appearance (1996 outlier year)
4x 1st round loss :lol
3x Lost in Conference Semis
7x Missed playoffs

I don't care what they did in any of the other years. In 1996, the Supersonics were as legit as they get.

coastalmarker99
09-18-2021, 08:48 PM
John Stockton and Karl Malone are the only players who, when paired with another top-50 player in their primes, didn't win at least one title.

They're the exception to the most basic rule in basketball; pair an all-time great player with another, and you win titles.

The only other pair of top-50 players during Stockton and Malone's peak was Scottie and MJ, and they won six rings.

In the two seasons that were wide-open, they choked to Houston both times.

Stockton also played in the perfect system, one designed to make guards look like elite passers. next to the perfect co-star

The Jazz's former point guard before Stockton was a guy who struggled to hit 3 assists in college but suddenly was cracking 9 per game in the pros thanks to Layden's system, a system John got shoved into.

In any other system, Stockton's assists are like 6 per game.

John Stockton was pretty good, but he's over-glorified by regular-season stats and having played his entire career in the perfect system next to the perfect co-star.

If you judge him just as he was, as an individual player, and you want to win championships - not regular-season games, win championships - there are like 15 point guards you'd take over him:

Kenny Griffin
09-18-2021, 09:01 PM
lebron fans are so retarded that they think its good if your opponents win more often than your favorite player. that means you faced good competition

jordan shoulda let malone and stockton get one of the 2 series and jordan coulda dropped one to barkley as well. just to give the perception that he faced guys on par with jj barea

HoopsNY
09-18-2021, 09:07 PM
Would you be bashful about your best ring coming against the Original Trash Bros Stockton/Malone? They played 20 years together and never won shit.

All they had was multiple 1st round blunders and two Finals appearances with zero rings.

For reference
• Duncan has made 6 Finals
• Curry has made 5 Finals
• KD has made 4 Finals
• Kawhi has made 3 Finals

Interesting that Butler/Adebayo have both made 1 Final with zero rings and are close to tying Stockton's Finals appearance totals...

Funny that you isolate Stockton/Malone. Jordan and co beat Isiah/Dumars/Rodman who were in 3 finals, winning two of them. He also beat Magic/Worthy, who were in numerous finals and won championships.

In addition, Drexler was in the finals in 1990, lost to MJ in 1992, and then won a title in 1995. Then beat Shaq and Penny who were in the finals in 1995, and Shaq went onto win 4 more after Jordan retired in 1998.

Just stop.

HoopsNY
09-18-2021, 09:12 PM
Pippen is better than any guy they ever went up against not named Magic, expected results when you have the best player in basketball as your #2 guy, best coach and best third option amongst all teams in a diluted league. No one rates Schrempf, Kemp, Ainge, K Johnson, Greg Ostertag, or Byron Russell amongst the greatest players of all time.

Guys like Manu Ginobili, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Jason Kidd, James Harden, and Serge Ibaka as third and fourth options would have been entirely too much for Jordan to handle, he’d stay retired.

Ridiculous take.

Manu was 35 and 36 in 2013 and 2014.

Kidd was 37 and washed up in 2011.

Harden was a 6th man and barely 22 in 2012.

And Ibaka? Funny he gets the nod but Schrempf - who just a season prior, was All-NBA. Worthy was a former FMVP. Penny was an MVP candidate.

And as usual, no accounting for the sidekicks that played alongside LeBron like Kyrie, Bosh, Love, Allen, AD, and Wade. Now LeBron has Westbrook. All this talk about the opposing HOF'ers (with no context given), yet no one talks about the Heat having 4 HOF'ers, the Lakers having 4 in 2020 (now 6 in 2021-22), and the Cavs having 3. Go figure.

#StopTheHate

HoopsNY
09-18-2021, 09:17 PM
I don't care what they did in any of the other years. In 1996, the Supersonics were as legit as they get.

They had GP and Kemp for starters. Schrempf was a former 6MOY and All-Star/All-NBA just a year prior. Schrempf would have continued at that rate but he missed six weeks in the '96 season. Prior to that, he was doing 19/5/4 on 63% TS%. Bran stans don't like to mention this, as well as the fact that Schrempf outplayed Pippen in the finals.

Schrempf '96 finals: 16/5/3 on 55% TS%
Pippen '96 finals: 16/8/5 on 43% TS%

In the deciding game, Schrempf actually led all scorers with 23 pts on 53% shooting. But no mention of that anywhere from Bran stans. In addition, they had veteran Sam Perkins and Nate McMillan coming off the bench. McMillan was a great defensive player and finished All-Defensive 2nd team just the year prior. That was a great defensive team and comes as no surprise that they gave the Bulls offense fits in the finals.

HoopsNY
09-18-2021, 09:19 PM
lebron fans are so retarded that they think its good if your opponents win more often than your favorite player. that means you faced good competition

jordan shoulda let malone and stockton get one of the 2 series and jordan coulda dropped one to barkley as well. just to give the perception that he faced guys on par with jj barea

lmao exactly

HoopsNY
09-18-2021, 09:23 PM
John Stockton and Karl Malone are the only players who, when paired with another top-50 player in their primes, didn't win at least one title.

They're the exception to the most basic rule in basketball; pair an all-time great player with another, and you win titles.

The only other pair of top-50 players during Stockton and Malone's peak was Scottie and MJ, and they won six rings.

In the two seasons that were wide-open, they choked to Houston both times.

Stockton also played in the perfect system, one designed to make guards look like elite passers. next to the perfect co-star

The Jazz's former point guard before Stockton was a guy who struggled to hit 3 assists in college but suddenly was cracking 9 per game in the pros thanks to Layden's system, a system John got shoved into.

In any other system, Stockton's assists are like 6 per game.

John Stockton was pretty good, but he's over-glorified by regular-season stats and having played his entire career in the perfect system next to the perfect co-star.

If you judge him just as he was, as an individual player, and you want to win championships - not regular-season games, win championships - there are like 15 point guards you'd take over him:

This makes absolutely no sense. Stockton wasn't just a "regular season" player. He led the league in playoff assists 10 times. Between 1988-97, he put up 16/4/12/2 on 47% in the playoffs.

Stockton only played 3 games during the regular season without Malone in that stretch. He averaged 14 assists in those games. Put Stockton with any great post player or any great shooter and he's dropping 15/15. C'mon man. He's easily a top 10 PG all-time.

ELITEpower23
09-18-2021, 09:25 PM

I was waiting for you to take this type of bait

MJ only made six Finals. He wasn't knocking out many teams :lol What happened the other 14 of 20 years? :lol 2 ez bb boi

Kenny Griffin
09-18-2021, 09:34 PM
I was waiting for you to take this type of bait

MJ only made six Finals. He wasn't knocking out many teams :lol What happened the other 14 of 20 years? :lol 2 ez bb boi

jordan won the title every time he was the favorite and sometimes when he was the underdog

jordan never lost as the favorite and only ever lost when his team had very little chance vs a far deeper team

lebron on the other hand lost with the best team in the 2004 olympics. 2006 fiba championship, 2009 with the #1 record. 2010 with the #1 record. 2011 with by far the deepest team. 2014 with a big 4 and lost to a bench warmer in 2015

jordan never had these kinds of blunders. he only ever lost to loaded legendary teams with little help or expectations.

Hey Yo
09-18-2021, 09:35 PM

There's an argument, but it's always pointed how Utah beat LA with Shaq and his duel all star back court in 97' and sweeping them in 98' as to why they were so good. Plus beating the Rockets etc...

SATAN
09-18-2021, 11:24 PM
Jazz would have beat the Bulls if it weren't for Dennis Rodman, the best player Phil Jackson ever coached.

Kenny Griffin
09-18-2021, 11:29 PM
Jazz would have beat the Bulls if it weren't for Dennis Rodman, the best player Phil Jackson ever coached.

i agree that jordan needed a grant or dennis as his 3rd best player. but they're more defensive role players. not superstar 3rd options like lebum always had

lebron usually had elite defensive role players as his 6th or 7th best player

SATAN
09-18-2021, 11:35 PM
i agree that jordan needed a grant or dennis as his 3rd best player. but they're more defensive role players. not superstar 3rd options like lebum always had

lebron usually had elite defensive role players as his 6th or 7th best player

What's LeBron got to do with anything??

Spurs m8
09-19-2021, 01:23 AM
I wonder if this incel can go ONE day without logging on with one of his alts and getting triggered by Jordan?

Let it go bro, your boy will never be GOAT, you'll feel better when you realise this....you can still live a good life, if you try focus your energy somewhere other than here.

Real talk

Axe
09-19-2021, 05:56 AM

But yes I agree, they very well could be the best team that MJ ever beat and that's the telling part about 90s ball.
If the 90s were really that bad or awful, then all teams who won rings during the said decade are a joke too, not just the bulls. Slick.

Axe
09-19-2021, 05:59 AM
Funny that you isolate Stockton/Malone. Jordan and co beat Isiah/Dumars/Rodman who were in 3 finals, winning two of them. He also beat Magic/Worthy, who were in numerous finals and won championships.

In addition, Drexler was in the finals in 1990, lost to MJ in 1992, and then won a title in 1995. Then beat Shaq and Penny who were in the finals in 1995, and Shaq went onto win 4 more after Jordan retired in 1998.

Just stop.
I'd like to believe this but then, i suddenly remembered about the flagrant foul being implemented into the league in the start of the '90-91 season. By then, the pistons would not dominate anymore.