PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Smart on Kawhi Leonard (calls him the most unstoppable player)

MadDog
09-19-2021, 07:06 PM
Interesting piece. I don't think his word is gospel or anything, but I like how detailed and specific he got. I'd take KD as a scorer personally, but I get where Smart is coming from. Kawhi's a big body and can back you down - the bit about midrange was also on point.

In these last few years, he’s developed his all-around game even more. Somehow, he keeps getting better.

Trying to guard Kawhi on an island by yourself is tough. You gotta take the basket away and push him to your help. You want him to take a contested shot as far away from the basket as possible, because his mid-range game is phenomenal. He brought back the 15-footer, no doubt. That’s a lost art in this game, especially in the age of analytics. Everything on paper says the 15-footer is a bad shot. But for Kawhi, it’s money. And he’ll kill you with it if you let him. So all you can really do is get him shooting from distance and contesting it.

But he can still shoot at a high clip from range, so it’s like … what do you do?

I’ll tell you this much: One thing you can’t do against him is take a play off. Because he’ll sniff that out and flip a switch. If you’re playing lazy defense — or if his team is behind, or if it’s late in the game, or if his team needs somebody to make a play — he’ll turn it on. And when he really gets going, can’t nobody stop him.

I would definitely say he’s the most unstoppable player in the league right now. The way he can score the ball at his size — he can take you off the dribble, post you up, shoot the mid-range or shoot the three — it’s wild.

Kawhi is just … different. He’s out of this world.”

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-kawhi-leonard-has-developed-an-all-round-game-and-keeps-getting-better-marcus-smart-elucidates-what-makes-the-clippers-star-out-of-this-world/
https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/marcus-smart-calls-kawhi-leonard-the-most-unstoppable-player-in-the-league

Gohan
09-19-2021, 07:24 PM
I would agree actually, despite my disdain for hbk.

8Ball
09-19-2021, 07:27 PM
Yea yeah

Dude doesn't play basketball anymore. Load Manages for entire season only to get bumped and then its over.

tpols
09-19-2021, 07:50 PM
Kawhi is a basketball machine. The problem is he sits out with the most minor of injuries because in today's game it makes sense to do that with 100s of millions of dollars on the line. He wouldn't do that in past eras where players got paid a fraction of what they get today.

Spurs m8
09-19-2021, 07:51 PM
Except he is a b1tch when it comes to injuries

beasted
09-19-2021, 08:03 PM
Everything he said is truth. But like others have mentioned this load management shit and regular injuries is what takes him down a couple pegs.

Durant while more potent overall a scorer is not as complete. He has never fully developed his post game.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-19-2021, 08:07 PM
"Most unstoppable to ever play the game"

I finished his sentence. Good job smart, you're welcome as beverly's replacement once celtics buy you out in a few years

NBAGOAT
09-19-2021, 09:51 PM
Kawhis durability is a bit worse than people think even if it’s his only flaw. I just have doubts about him playing a bunch of games in a row. Last 2 years he looks like the best player in the world vs Dallas in the 1st rd and drops off a lot the 2nd round(also tore his acl this year). Enough of a dropoff some people will argue George outplayed him. Was better during Toronto’s run but also there’s no doubt he peaked vs Philly