PDA

View Full Version : The NBA top 75 greatest players of all time are going to be announce next month

Lebron23
09-20-2021, 06:59 AM
NBA.com already announced their 37th unanimous picks. LeBron, Curry, Durant, Duncan, Wade, Nowitzki Westbrook, CP3, Wade, Giannis and Bryant were included. Pippen is still included among the Top 75 players of all time

Kenny Griffin
09-20-2021, 07:15 AM
(yawn)

should be all decade teams of 5 or some sh*t. 75 guys is too watered down

Gohan
09-20-2021, 08:25 AM
If iverson gets shafted imma let cell destroy the planet

09-20-2021, 08:27 AM
If iverson gets shafted imma let cell destroy the planet

Iverson is a TRASH BUM

Axe
09-20-2021, 08:30 AM
Kobe must be around top 15-20 now.

Gohan
09-20-2021, 09:20 AM
Iverson is a TRASH BUM

Kill yourself please, youre worthless to me

09-20-2021, 09:24 AM
youre worthless
Just like iverson:mad:

Gohan
09-20-2021, 09:24 AM
Kill yourself please, youre worthless to me

Jk, love yourself 000

09-20-2021, 09:26 AM
Jk, love yourself 000
NO

Phoenix
09-20-2021, 10:17 AM
NBA.com already announced their 37th unanimous picks. LeBron, Curry, Durant, Duncan, Wade, Nowitzki Westbrook, CP3, Wade, Giannis and Bryant were included. Pippen is still included among the Top 75 players of all time

I doubt anyone already on the top 50 list is going to get the boot, so whoever was selected back in 97 is basically locked onto that list. I think these 20 are safe picks( with some no-brainers of course):

Lebron
Kobe
Duncan
Durant
Curry
Garnett
Dirk
Wade
Giannis
CP3
Harden
Iverson
Kawhi
Westbrook
A.Davis
Melo
R.Allen
Pierce
Nash
Kidd

Not sure who would be the last 5 though. Ben Wallace? Tmac? Vince? Reggie? Can't think of a 5th name right now( probably missing someone(s) obvious).

ralph_i_el
09-20-2021, 10:56 AM
I doubt anyone already on the top 50 list is going to get the boot, so whoever was selected back in 97 is basically locked onto that list. I think these 20 are safe picks( with some no-brainers of course):

Lebron
Kobe
Duncan
Durant
Curry
Garnett
Dirk
Wade
Giannis
CP3
Harden
Iverson
Kawhi
Westbrook
A.Davis
Melo
R.Allen
Pierce
Nash
Kidd

Not sure who would be the last 5 though. Ben Wallace? Tmac? Vince? Reggie? Can't think of a 5th name right now( probably missing someone(s) obvious).

I will go my whole life believing that Westbrook is a tier below these guys. I would much rather have Tmac, Vince, or Reggie on my team. Westbrook is of course a ridiculous athlete and competitor, and a beloved teammate....but I just don't think he ever had the savvy to be your lead-ballhandler on a championship team. His style makes it hard for a team to become more than the sum of its parts. 3Ball's criticisms of "LeBron Ball" are actually very true about Westbrook. LeBron proved he could play in a team concept starting in 2012 (when he showed he could get tough baskets without dribbling the air out of the ball or using a pick)....Russ never really did.

Phoenix
09-20-2021, 11:11 AM
I will go my whole life believing that Westbrook is a tier below these guys. I would much rather have Tmac, Vince, or Reggie on my team. Westbrook is of course a ridiculous athlete and competitor, and a beloved teammate....but I just don't think he ever had the savvy to be your lead-ballhandler on a championship team. His style makes it hard for a team to become more than the sum of its parts. 3Ball's criticisms of "LeBron Ball" are actually very true about Westbrook. LeBron proved he could play in a team concept starting in 2012 (when he showed he could get tough baskets without dribbling the air out of the ball or using a pick)....Russ never really did.

I hear ya, and I understand that Westbrook gets and will get ( unfairly or otherwise) a ton of flack for his brand of ball. When creating that list I actually though to myself 'Westbrook is the one player there people will scoff at.....maybe Nash if someone wants to argue he only rose to MVP level after the 2005 rule changes'. He's become easy to hate on, especially since all those stats have been in the service of a bunch of first round exits.

That said, a guy that's won an MVP, had 4 Triple double seasons, with the rest of his individual accolades...... there's just no way the voters are going to keep him off this list.

pandiani17
09-20-2021, 01:28 PM
Is it possible for anyone who got snubbed in 1997 to get in now? And can they get off the list someone who was in 1997 list? Otherwise, it is just adding another 25 players of the last 25 years to the former list.

Phoenix
09-20-2021, 02:00 PM
1)Is it possible for anyone who got snubbed in 1997 to get in now?

2)And can they get off the list someone who was in 1997 list?

3)Otherwise, it is just adding another 25 players of the last 25 years to the former list.

1)I could see someone like Reggie getting in. Reggie didn't get 'snubbed' in 1997 but I could see the voters looking at the totality of his career in context and deciding he should be included now. I just remembered Gary Payton should be on there too if guys like Nash and Kidd make it( which I expect they will).

2) Very much doubt they'll disrespect a player like that.

3) Basically. And they'll do the same thing for the 100 year list.

SouBeachTalents
09-20-2021, 02:33 PM
I know they'd never embarrass anyone by taking them off the list, but if they wanted to actually get the list right they would.

tpols
09-20-2021, 02:47 PM

Lebron
Kobe
Duncan
Durant
Curry
Garnett
Dirk
Wade
Giannis
CP3
Harden
Iverson
Kawhi
Westbrook
A.Davis
Melo
R.Allen
Pierce
Nash
Kidd

Guys like Reggie, tmac, and vince carter are for sure > melo or westbrick.

Jasper
09-20-2021, 02:52 PM
Kobe must be around top 15-20 now.

have him at 51

Phoenix
09-20-2021, 03:13 PM
Guys like Reggie, tmac, and vince carter are for sure > melo or westbrick.

I neither agree or disagree with that, but you can bookmark this post if you see Melo and Westbrook on the list and not those guys. I think they're all going to get on though so it may not be a case of having to choose. Rodman may( or should) get on too if the voters could stop jerking off to offensive numbers for a moment.

Stephonit
09-20-2021, 03:47 PM
Did Drexler make the top 50 previously? He's another name to add into the mix if he didn't.

Phoenix
09-20-2021, 04:03 PM
Did Drexler make the top 50 previously? He's another name to add into the mix if he didn't.

Yes he did.

NBAGOAT
09-20-2021, 04:33 PM
it be a shame if wilkins got snubbed again lol. I'm taking him over melo at least

Phoenix
09-20-2021, 04:38 PM
it be a shame if wilkins got snubbed again lol. I'm taking him over melo at least

Personally I wouldnt include one but not the other one if push comes to shove. If anything I'd take Nique over someone like Tmac ( peaked higher but shorter prime).

bizil
09-20-2021, 07:06 PM
Nique BETTER be among the top 75. Or the list is a joke to me! It was bad enough he wasn't on the 50 greatest list.

L.Kizzle
09-20-2021, 07:37 PM
If Nique makes it, they will add other players who didn't make the previous list calling for even more snubs.
Do you add Gary Payton (who was drafted in 90) or Miller (drafted in 87) or stay with guys who came around after 95. Your Kidd and Hill, KG and the 96 draft onwards?

I think it's better to leave Nique off because a can of worms will be opened if he's the only old timer added when cases can be made for at least 10 other players.

Nique
Miller
McAdoo (only MVP not in the original 50)
Bob Lanier
Rodman
Dumars
Alex English
Connie Hawkins
Tommy Heinsohn
Artist Gilmore

bizil
09-20-2021, 08:42 PM
If Nique makes it, they will add other players who didn't make the previous list calling for even more snubs.
Do you add Gary Payton (who was drafted in 90) or Miller (drafted in 87) or stay with guys who came around after 95. Your Kidd and Hill, KG and the 96 draft onwards?

I think it's better to leave Nique off because a can of worms will be opened if he's the only old timer added when cases can be made for at least 10 other players.

Nique
Miller
McAdoo (only MVP not in the original 50)
Bob Lanier
Rodman
Dumars
Alex English
Connie Hawkins
Tommy Heinsohn
Artist Gilmore

WTF??? You're making this too complicated! If they are simply ADDING to the 50 greatest list from '97, u just add the 25 greatest guys not on that list! Guys who weren't in the league, didn't have the resume at the time, got overlooked, etc. Nique is HANDS DOWN among the 25 greatest players EVER not on the 50 greatest list from '97. With your method you are PENALIZING the old timers. And saying they can't be among the 75 greatest players of all time! Because they weren't seen top 50 for various reasons. That doesn't many ANY SENSE!

L.Kizzle
09-20-2021, 08:52 PM
WTF??? You're making this too complicated! If they are simply ADDING to the 50 greatest list from '97, u just add the 25 greatest guys not on that list! Guys who weren't in the league, didn't have the resume at the time, got overlooked, etc. Nique is HANDS DOWN among the 25 greatest players EVER not on the 50 greatest list from '97. With your method you are PENALIZING the old timers. And saying they can't be among the 75 greatest players of all time! Because they weren't seen top 50 for various reasons. That doesn't many ANY SENSE!
What I'm saying, Nique can't be the only addition. You can't just add Dominique but forget about McAdoo and Miller you feel me. All or nothing.
Hell, McAdoo possibly a bigger snub than Nique on the original 50 list. McAdoo = MVP, 3 time scoring champ and 2 time NBA champ. All things Nique never accomplished.

bizil
09-20-2021, 09:01 PM
What I'm saying, Nique can't be the only addition. You can't just add Dominique but forget about McAdoo and Miller you feel me. All or nothing.
Hell, McAdoo possibly a bigger snub than Nique on the original 50 list. McAdoo = MVP, 3 time scoring champ and 2 time NBA champ. All things Nique never accomplished.

I'm down with adding McAdoo as well. I just threw Nique out there as name that should have been on the 50. McAdoo for damn sure should be on the list. Not only for what he accomplished, but for how he changed the game. In the case of Reggie, he should be on there for taking the three ball to the next level back in the day. So all three should be in the top 75!

pandiani17
09-21-2021, 02:25 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Dominique was scoring champ the year before MJ took over to win multiple scoring titles in a row.

RogueBorg
09-21-2021, 03:30 PM
Nique BETTER be among the top 75. Or the list is a joke to me! It was bad enough he wasn't on the 50 greatest list.

This is the same argument we had back in '97, if you add Wilkins who do you remove?

L.Kizzle
09-21-2021, 06:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Dominique was scoring champ the year before MJ took over to win multiple scoring titles in a row.
You're correct.

bizil
09-21-2021, 07:06 PM
This is the same argument we had back in '97, if you add Wilkins who do you remove?

Nique HANDS DOWN had a better career than MANY GUYS on that list in '97. Some role players who HAD THE FORTUNE to be on great teams GOT LUCKY to be 50 greatest. They won a ring or two playing with true superstar level talent. I'm not talking about teams who HAPPENED to have 2-3 superstar guys. I'm talking about ROLE PLAYERS who would be LUCKY to make the HOF if they NEVER won rings. Those are the guys I'm talking about. Bob McAdoo also should have been on the 50 greatest list.

GOAT status factors:

Solo Accolades
Team Accolades
Longevity being great
Numbers
Peak-prime Status
Impact on the league (redefining a position, rules change because of u, being a face of the league, etc.)

When u look at these categories, Nique had the CLEAR EDGE in 5 of those categories on MULTIPLE GUYS on that 50 greatest list. The only edge those guys could claim is rings. BUT can't hold that against Nique WHEN U LOOK AT the teams he had in Atlanta. He NEVER played with another superstar-HOF caliber guy in their prime! Moses was past his prime when he hit Atlanta! So for me rings can only take you so far. Nique was SEVENTH in scoring all time when that list came out in '97! Plus Nique was a true face of the league type. There with MJ, Magic, Bird, Isiah, and Barkley. Helping grow the game worldwide! So Nique EASILY was top 50 material in '97!!

L.Kizzle
09-21-2021, 09:58 PM
Nique HANDS DOWN had a better career than MANY GUYS on that list in '97. Some role players who HAD THE FORTUNE to be on great teams GOT LUCKY to be 50 greatest. They won a ring or two playing with true superstar level talent. I'm not talking about teams who HAPPENED to have 2-3 superstar guys. I'm talking about ROLE PLAYERS who would be LUCKY to make the HOF if they NEVER won rings. Those are the guys I'm talking about. Bob McAdoo also should have been on the 50 greatest list.

GOAT status factors:

Solo Accolades
Team Accolades
Longevity being great
Numbers
Peak-prime Status
Impact on the league (redefining a position, rules change because of u, being a face of the league, etc.)

When u look at these categories, Nique had the CLEAR EDGE in 5 of those categories on MULTIPLE GUYS on that 50 greatest list. The only edge those guys could claim is rings. BUT can't hold that against Nique WHEN U LOOK AT the teams he had in Atlanta. He NEVER played with another superstar-HOF caliber guy in their prime! Moses was past his prime when he hit Atlanta! So for me rings can only take you so far. Nique was SEVENTH in scoring all time when that list came out in '97! Plus Nique was a true face of the league type. There with MJ, Magic, Bird, Isiah, and Barkley. Helping grow the game worldwide! So Nique EASILY was top 50 material in '97!!
I think he's was a 50. Could have taken off any of Bill Sharman, Lenny Wilkens, Dave Bing, Robert Parish, James Worthy.
Shaq, Walton were odd balls.

3ba11
09-21-2021, 10:22 PM
Pippen was barely top 50 in 1996, and dozens of guys have since past him like Kobe, Duncan, Curry, Giannis, Lebron, Kawhi, etc., so he can't possibly still be top 50 today, or make the top 75 team.

The only reason he's still is in the rankings is because new fans/media never saw him play, so their on-paper evaluations overrate the 6 rings over Dirk or Giannis' 1 ring, for example..

But the top 75 list is the best and most towering performances ever like Dirk's 2011 or Giannis 2021 - Pippen is nowhere near these guys!!! He was a defensive role player for most of his playoff career!!! There's no way he belongs anywhere near the rankings.. .. It's sad that Pippen gets a lot of credit for Jordan's resume

BigShotBob
09-22-2021, 02:39 AM
There's no reason why Pippen should have originally been over 'Nique in the first place.

bizil
09-22-2021, 12:48 PM
I think he's was a 50. Could have taken off any of Bill Sharman, Lenny Wilkens, Dave Bing, Robert Parish, James Worthy.
Shaq, Walton were odd balls.

Those were guys I immediately thought of too that Nique should have been on there in place of. Of superstar caliber players throughout the history of the NBA, Nique and McAdoo in my book are the top two most underrated. The fact they didn't make the NBA 50 greatest list OR 1st ballot HOF says it all!

L.Kizzle
09-22-2021, 12:56 PM
Those were guys I immediately thought of too that Nique should have been on there in place of. Of superstar caliber players throughout the history of the NBA, Nique and McAdoo in my book are the top two most underrated. The fact they didn't make the NBA 50 greatest list OR 1st ballot HOF says it all!
McAdoo was first ballot, but I don't think Nique was.

dankok8
09-22-2021, 01:08 PM
I think they'll just include all the top 50 from 1997 plus add 25 more recent legends.

Nique and McAdoo should make the list though.

L.Kizzle
09-22-2021, 01:47 PM
I think they'll just include all the top 50 from 1997 plus add 25 more recent legends.

Nique and McAdoo should make the list though.
Thinking about it again, I think it would be only fair to add players from 96 onwards.
With adding older players you're taking away from the last 25 years

It was 50 players for the first 50 years. Not fair to have, say 17 player from the past 25 years instead of 25 players.

dankok8
09-22-2021, 01:54 PM
Thinking about it again, I think it would be only fair to add players from 96 onwards.
With adding older players you're taking away from the last 25 years

It was 50 players for the first 50 years. Not fair to have, say 17 player from the past 25 years instead of 25 players.

Yea. I can see the logic to that. It would be fair to only add players from last 25 years.

kawhileonard2
09-22-2021, 11:35 PM
I know they'd never embarrass anyone by taking them off the list, but if they wanted to actually get the list right they would.

Who would you take off from original list?