AirBonner
09-21-2021, 05:15 PM
Who was the better role player?
Odom 14/8/4
Pippen 16/6/5

Pretty close. Pippen slight defensive edge but Odom was sneaky good

MadDog
09-21-2021, 05:18 PM
Pippen's defense was great, and ultimately that is what separated them. Odom was underrated in the sense that he could set up an offense (undetectable with numbers). A very good playmaker in his own right.

AirBonner
09-21-2021, 05:22 PM
Pippen's defense was great, and ultimately that is what separated them. Odom was underrated in the sense that he could set up an offense (undetectable with numbers). A very good playmaker in his own right.

Agree. Pippen holds the edge defensively but Odom might be the better scorer rebounder and passer. He was mainly used as a 3rd star but he could have produced a lot more given a bigger role

SouBeachTalents
09-21-2021, 05:29 PM
Agree. Pippen holds the edge defensively but Odom might be the better scorer rebounder and passer. He was mainly used as a 3rd star but he could have produced a lot more given a bigger role
Yep, Odom averaged 19/12/4 in the playoffs as the 2nd option in '06 & '07, then a very respectable 13 & 10 after getting Gasol in '08 & '09

MadDog
09-21-2021, 05:32 PM

Yep, Odom averaged 19/12/4 in the playoffs as the 2nd option in '06 & '07, then a very respectable 13 & 10 after getting Gasol in '08 & '09

Good points. Kobe's help gets slept on.

97 bulls
09-21-2021, 05:33 PM
I swear the Pippen hate is real on ISH.

tpols
09-21-2021, 05:33 PM
Odom dead ass had some of the best RPMs of his era. He was a very good defender who had a uniquely smooth handle and game for a 7 footer. I wouldn't be surprised at all if MJ won with a guy of that talent.

lakerstekkenn
09-21-2021, 06:29 PM
This thread is pointless everyone knows Pippen was the better all star top 50 players ever 6 time world champion and a defensive master, while Odom had skills and was a nightmare mismatch against any team, his defense was average to good at times and his offense was never as good as it could've been, everyone understood this, Lamar could've been just as good as Pippen but never played at that level, Ariza played better defense; was more effective adding to the offense spreading the floor in one year of his rise from being a rookie winning that championship against Orlando with The Lakers, than Lamar ever was, although Lamar played well in spurts at times he didn't live up to his potential, everyone understood this.

Pippen is never forgotten while nobody remembers Lamar, you do the math.

AirBonner
09-21-2021, 07:41 PM
Curious to see which side 3ball takes

97 bulls
09-21-2021, 08:00 PM
This thread is pointless everyone knows Pippen was the better all star top 50 players ever 6 time world champion and a defensive master, while Odom had skills and was a nightmare mismatch against any team, his defense was average to good at times and his offense was never as good as it could've been, everyone understood this, Lamar could've been just as good as Pippen but never played at that level, Ariza played better defense; was more effective adding to the offense spreading the floor in one year of his rise from being a rookie winning that championship against Orlando with The Lakers, than Lamar ever was, although Lamar played well in spurts at times he didn't live up to his potential, everyone understood this.

Pippen is never forgotten while nobody remembers Lamar, you do the math.

Exactly. Great assessment of Lamar Odom. He was that eras Ben Simmons.

HoopsNY
09-21-2021, 08:21 PM
I don't think there is a comparison. Pippen was a top 5-10 player for stretches during his era. Odom was never that guy.

Reggie43
09-21-2021, 09:18 PM
Funny thing is that Odom had the tools and talent to be better than Pippen but sadly it never happened.

If he had his head on straight he should have been a perennial allstar and that wouldnt even have been the best case scenario for him given his combo of skill and athleticism plus size.

SATAN
09-25-2021, 06:12 AM
What a stupid thread.

tpols
09-25-2021, 06:25 AM
Exactly. Great assessment of Lamar Odom. He was that eras Ben Simmons.

Odom had a much better jumper than Simmons. He was also much more talented.

SATAN
09-25-2021, 06:39 AM
Odom had a much better jumper than Simmons.

Thank you for this life changing breaking news.

ZenMaster
09-25-2021, 07:49 AM
Thank you for this life changing breaking news.

:oldlol:

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 08:53 AM
Odom had a much better jumper than Simmons. He was also much more talented.

They're comparable in styles and hype.

tpols
09-25-2021, 10:37 AM

Eh... I wouldn't really say that. Simmons was a #1 prospect who is scared to shoot. Odom was never scared of anything. He was a much smoother player. Simmons is awkward.

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 10:54 AM
Eh... I wouldn't really say that. Simmons was a #1 prospect who is scared to shoot. Odom was never scared of anything. He was a much smoother player. Simmons is awkward.

Both are 6'10+ with guard skills who were to be the face of the NBA but underachieved.

tpols
09-25-2021, 11:01 AM
Both are 6'10+ with guard skills who were to be the face of the NBA but underachieved.

I wouldn't say Odom underachieved based on his background. He really overcame all odds and had a great career. Simmons was a rich kid #1 pick who ended up being a spoiled brat and punk when it mattered most in the playoffs. I get that their physical measurables are similar but nothing else is.

MadDog
09-25-2021, 11:45 AM

Odom was never scared to score. Different mental altogether.

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't say Odom underachieved based on his background. He really overcame all odds and had a great career. Simmons was a rich kid #1 pick who ended up being a spoiled brat and punk when it mattered most in the playoffs. I get that their physical measurables are similar but nothing else is.

Lol yall just like to argue. I'm going off their careers as basketball players. They were both highly touted coming into the league. Even getting comparisons to Magic Johnson.

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 11:59 AM
Odom was never scared to score. Different mental altogether.

Lol. You really wanna do this? OK. Please explain why Odom and Simmons both average the same amount of PPG.

MadDog
09-25-2021, 12:07 PM
Lol. You really wanna do this? OK. Please explain why Odom and Simmons both average the same amount of PPG.

You definitely don't want to do that. You're that poster whining over comparing era stats. :confusedshrug:

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 01:29 PM
You definitely don't want to do that. You're that poster whining over comparing era stats. :confusedshrug:

Smart man. But I'm not comparing stats. I said they have the same style. The rebuttal is Ben Simmons doesn't shoot or Odom isn't afraid to shoot like Simmons. Well why are they basically at the same level as far as scoring?

MadDog
09-25-2021, 02:53 PM
Smart man. But I'm not comparing stats. I said they have the same style. The rebuttal is Ben Simmons doesn't shoot or Odom isn't afraid to shoot like Simmons. Well why are they basically at the same level as far as scoring?

Bruh what? You literally just compared their points lol. Ben is afraid to score and will pass up on shots. Odom never had that issue. His problem was an inconsistent approach. He was the Lakers glue guy and depending on what was needed, that is what they asked of him.

Odom's the type of player you had to watch. Didn't always show in the numbers, but lowkey he had high value.

Xiao Yao You
09-25-2021, 02:56 PM
Odom

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 03:24 PM
Bruh what? You literally just compared their points lol. Ben is afraid to score and will pass up on shots. Odom never had that issue. His problem was an inconsistent approach. He was the Lakers glue guy and depending on what was needed, that is what they asked of him.

Odom's the type of player you had to watch. Didn't always show in the numbers, but lowkey he had high value.

I'm saying they basically were the same player. Neither either is or was lived up to the hype.

Here's the issue. When you say one is afraid to shoot but the other wasn't, but the points are virtually the same. WHY IS THAT?

tpols
09-25-2021, 03:40 PM
I'm saying they basically were the same player. Neither either is or was lived up to the hype.

Here's the issue. When you say one is afraid to shoot but the other wasn't, but the points are virtually the same. WHY IS THAT?

You contradicted yourself by comparing their PPG. Odom would score more today, but that's not even the point. If you watch the games, you'll see teams sag off Simmons and hes scared to take ANY jumper. His form is broke and he mentally shys away. Odom didnt do that. Defenders played him tight. If they sagged? He would definitely pull up.

It also brings up another discussion. Sagging defenders increase defensive pressure on teammates. Paint gets clogged.

Hey Yo
09-25-2021, 04:07 PM
Odom >>> Bosh and Love.

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 05:49 PM
You contradicted yourself by comparing their PPG. Odom would score more today, but that's not even the point. If you watch the games, you'll see teams sag off Simmons and hes scared to take ANY jumper. His form is broke and he mentally shys away. Odom didnt do that. Defenders played him tight. If they sagged? He would definitely pull up.

It also brings up another discussion. Sagging defenders increase defensive pressure on teammates. Paint gets clogged.

And yet he still managed to score as many points as Odom all while being scared to shoot.

MadDog
09-25-2021, 06:20 PM

You're still comparing across era. You can't say not to and then do it yourself :confusedshrug: Ben is a better athlete and gets the majority of his points around the hoop. Odom had a better jumper and A) was never given space to shoot and B) never hesitated to.

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 06:52 PM
You're still comparing across era. You can't say not to and then do it yourself :confusedshrug: Ben is a better athlete and gets the majority of his points around the hoop. Odom had a better jumper and A) was never given space to shoot and B) never hesitated to.

16-17 points is 16-17 points. But it's a matter of what it's worth. Think about it. I keep telling you guys it's easier to score now than in the past. You guys don't seem to get that when comparing players of different generations. So here now is a comparison of Ben Simmons and Lamar Odom. Both scored the same ppg, but as you guys say it, one was afraid to shoot the other wasn't. Then how are they scoring the same amount if points then?

I'm very consistent in my argument. You guys aren't.

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 06:57 PM

How many points would Odom score today?

3ba11
09-25-2021, 06:58 PM
A player that is about the be awarded top 75 is being compared to Lamar Odom - this is very telling

Top 75 is supposed to be the greatest of all time, like Giannis' victory in 2021, or Dirk in 2011, or Kawhi in 2019.

So how in the f*ck does Pippen get in the top 75?... When did he ever play on that level of anywhere near?

It's preposterous, but the on-paper evaluations of new fans that never saw Pippen play see the 6 rings and rate him over Giannis or Dirk's 1 ring, even though Pippen was a 2nd option with weak stats and completely carried.

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 07:01 PM
A player that is about the be awarded top 75 is being compared to Lamar Odom - this is very telling

Top 75 is supposed to be the greatest of all time, like Giannis' ring in 2021, or Dirk's 2011 ring, or Kawhi's 2019 ring

So how in the f*ck does Pippen get in the top 75?... When did he ever play on that level of anywhere near?

It's preposterous, but the on-paper evaluations of new fans that never saw Pippen play see the 6 rings and rate him over Giannis or Dirk's 1 ring, even though Pippen was a 2nd option with weak stats and completely carried.

Well the thread is a troll thread. The OP made it to call Pippen a role player. We're talking about Odom and Ben Simmons

3ba11
09-25-2021, 07:04 PM
Well the thread is a troll thread. The OP made it to call Pippen a role player. We're talking about Odom and Ben Simmons

my point was that it SHOULDN'T be a troll thread and is a very viable comparison... And if Pippen is being compared to Odom, he certainly can't be top 75 all-time...

MadDog
09-25-2021, 07:08 PM
16-17 points is 16-17 points. But it's a matter of what it's worth. Think about it. I keep telling you guys it's easier to score now than in the past. You guys don't seem to get that when comparing players of different generations. So here now is a comparison of Ben Simmons and Lamar Odom. Both scored the same ppg, but as you guys say it, one was afraid to shoot the other wasn't. Then how are they scoring the same amount if points then?

I'm very consistent in my argument. You guys aren't.

I don't care that they score the same points lol. Your first rebuttal was asking why, and I told you the difference. You got caught flip flopping and now you're trying to save face. Show me a post where I compared points across an era. If you find one, you'll see context. I'm always talking about this era being easy to score in.

If you watched Ben & Lamar, the difference couldn't be clearer. One is scared of his own jumper, the other is not.

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 07:22 PM
I don't care that they score the same points lol. Your first rebuttal was asking why, and I told you the difference. You got caught flip flopping and now you're trying to save face. Show me a post where I compared points across an era. If you find one, you'll see context. I'm always talking about this era being easy to score in.

If you watched Ben & Lamar, the difference couldn't be clearer. One is scared of his own jumper, the other is not.
I asked you to prove a point. If one is scared to score and the other isn't, but they score the same points, what does that tell you? What you were about to say was Simmons plays in a more score friendly era. And that's 100% true.

97 bulls
09-25-2021, 07:24 PM
my point was that it SHOULDN'T be a troll thread and is a very viable comparison... And if Pippen is being compared to Odom, he certainly can't be top 75 all-time...

Lol well he is, deal with it. And I guarantee you won't be alive when Pippen doesn't make that list.

MadDog
09-25-2021, 09:45 PM
I asked you to prove a point. If one is scared to score and the other isn't, but they score the same points, what does that tell you? What you were about to say was Simmons plays in a more score friendly era. And that's 100% true.

The contrast was already explained. Era plays a role, ya, but mentality plays a bigger one. Their approach couldn't be different, which is why points output is irrelevant.

Round Mound
09-25-2021, 09:52 PM
Pippen...get real.

97 bulls
09-26-2021, 08:22 AM
The contrast was already explained. Era plays a role, ya, but mentality plays a bigger one. Their approach couldn't be different, which is why points output is irrelevant.

Bro. You ain't scoring 16-17 points a night in the mid 90s to mid 00s being scared to shoot.

MadDog
09-26-2021, 11:15 AM
Bro. You ain't scoring 16-17 points a night in the mid 90s to mid 00s being scared to shoot.

I would agree, but who's saying otherwise? :confusedshrug:

Chick Stern
09-26-2021, 11:54 AM
I swear the Pippen hate is real on ISH.

I swear the Bulls hyperbole is real on ISH.

dankok8
09-26-2021, 11:57 AM
Pippen was better than Odom with a slight edge on offense and a big one on defense.

97 bulls
09-26-2021, 04:28 PM
I would agree, but who's saying otherwise? :confusedshrug:

But you can do it today

MadDog
09-26-2021, 05:06 PM
But you can do it today

That's why comparing points is immaterial.

97 bulls
09-26-2021, 05:28 PM
That's why comparing points is immaterial.

Which is what I've been saying. It's like inflation. A dollar today isn't worth as much as a dollar 50 years ago. Even though it's still a dollar. Ben Simmons 16ppg isn't the same as Odom 16ppg. I'm glad we agree. Remember this conversation.

MadDog
09-26-2021, 07:37 PM
Which is what I've been saying. It's like inflation. A dollar today isn't worth as much as a dollar 50 years ago. Even though it's still a dollar. Ben Simmons 16ppg isn't the same as Odom 16ppg. I'm glad we agree. Remember this conversation.

All that is true. That's why you comparing their points made no sense. Not only that, but Ben and Lamar don't have the same scoring approach.