PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix still hasn't maxed Ayton, which is why they still haven't signed Ayton

Real Men Wear Green
10-05-2021, 01:16 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1445389465153904644?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1445389465153904644%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fclutchpoints.com%2Fwp-admin%2Fpost-new.php

Apparently they didn't much care for making it to the Finals and just want to make sure they don't go back.

But to sort of analyze this more seriously, there is some difference between the most they can offer him and the max a different team can offer him, plus they can just match the offer sheet.

So if they aren't scared of him holding a grudge for some years until he is an unrestricted free agent their position makes some sense.

But I would be scared.

Charlie Sheen
10-05-2021, 03:03 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1445389465153904644?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1445389465153904644%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fclutchpoints.com%2Fwp-admin%2Fpost-new.php

Apparently they didn't much care for making it to the Finals and just want to make sure they don't go back.

But to sort of analyze this more seriously, there is some difference between the most they can offer him and the max a different team can offer him, plus they can just match the offer sheet.

So if they aren't scared of him holding a grudge for some years until he is an unrestricted free agent their position makes some sense.

But I would be scared.

I wouldn't be scared -- yet.

He hasn't showed the want to be great. Ayton probably won't ever grow into the strength, agility and dexterity we see from Giannis and Durant at that size. He doesn't impose himself on the game because he's bigger, stronger and more skilled like Embiid does either.

tontoz
10-05-2021, 03:10 PM
He is a restricted free agent after next season so they can match any offer. No biggie i cant see Ayton holding a grudge if they do pay him.

pandiani17
10-05-2021, 03:13 PM
It's only the beginning of the negotiations. It's normal both parties involved play hard to get.

expansionera
10-05-2021, 03:36 PM
He’s a restricted FA so much to do about nothing, granted I don’t think they make the Finals with the West less ridiculously injured (Lakers without AD, Nuggets without Murray, Clippers no Kawhi). Not to take anything away from those guys but I think they take a step back when other contenders have a full squad

90sgoat
10-05-2021, 04:18 PM
Sign and trade to Mavs for KP.

Ayton would fit really well with Luka.

NBAGOAT
10-05-2021, 05:14 PM
I would extend him early and haggle with bridges. He’s going get the max if he hits free agency unless he has a bad year.

Jasper
10-05-2021, 05:19 PM
Ayton said after last series , he would love to play for the Bucks.

NBAGOAT
10-05-2021, 05:22 PM
Ayton said after last series , he would love to play for the Bucks.

With what cap space? The bucks have over 90% of the cap committed to their big 3

Dbrog
10-05-2021, 08:13 PM
He is a restricted free agent after next season so they can match any offer. No biggie i cant see Ayton holding a grudge if they do pay him.

This. There's literally no reason to pay him right now. Denver just showed how idiotic this is by maxing out MPJ. No incentive now at all for him to learn defense or better himself

Real Men Wear Green
10-05-2021, 09:48 PM
If you were his agent would any of you advise him to accept less than the max?

bobopenguin
10-05-2021, 10:24 PM

except Ayton can look for a contract with 3+ 1 (PO) + trade kicker (15%).
means Suns will only be able to lock Ayton for 3 years and not 5yrs.

bobopenguin
10-05-2021, 10:26 PM

if he's ur client, and u told him to accept anything less than max, u will get fired and never work as nba agent again.

Xiao Yao You
10-06-2021, 01:35 PM

maybe. If he gets injured he'll be sorry. Gobert took the 100 million rather than risk it. He'd had some injuries at that point though

NugzFan
10-06-2021, 03:27 PM
This. There's literally no reason to pay him right now. Denver just showed how idiotic this is by maxing out MPJ. No incentive now at all for him to learn defense or better himself

What mistake did denver make?

Do you think there is zero risk in not maxing DA now?

highwhey
10-06-2021, 03:36 PM
he's gonna get paid lol.

Real Men Wear Green
10-06-2021, 04:12 PM
maybe. If he gets injured he'll be sorry. Gobert took the 100 million rather than risk it. He'd had some injuries at that point though

If there were 4 companies out there that were willing to pay you 100 per hour next year you would accept 80 per hour from your current employer? I would not. Especially with the employer also knowing that they are not offering market value. Take out some kind of specialized insurance policy in case of career ending injury and play out the season.

Xiao Yao You
10-06-2021, 04:38 PM
If there were 4 companies out there that were willing to pay you 100 per hour next year you would accept 80 per hour from your current employer? I would not. Especially with the employer also knowing that they are not offering market value. Take out some kind of specialized insurance policy in case of career ending injury and play out the season.

I'd have a hard time passing up 100 million dollars. Nerlens Noel anyone?

Real Men Wear Green
10-06-2021, 04:52 PM
I'd have a hard time passing up 100 million dollars. Nerlens Noel anyone?
He's not Nerlens Noel. He's a 23 year-old that just averaged a double-double for a conference champ. If he was a free agent right now he would get the max.

Xiao Yao You
10-06-2021, 10:04 PM
He's not Nerlens Noel. He's a 23 year-old that just averaged a double-double for a conference champ. If he was a free agent right now he would get the max.

Yeah he would if he doesn't get hurt. Gobert was carrying a bad team when he took the 100 million rather than risk injury

Real Men Wear Green
10-06-2021, 11:27 PM
This really has nothing to do with Gobert.

Xiao Yao You
10-07-2021, 07:43 AM
This really has nothing to do with Gobert.

It's just an example. There are many. Can take more money than anyone should ever need right now or risk injury for more and get nothing

Real Men Wear Green
10-07-2021, 08:19 AM
It's just an example. There are many. Can take more money than anyone should ever need right now or risk injury for more and get nothing

If you make a million dollars you can move to Ohio and make the money last the rest of your life. Doesn't mean you won't want more. Every 300k a player makes is another one of his great great grandkids he can put through college. The overwhelming majority of pro athletes have a very limited amount of time over which they will make the majority of the money they will make over the course of their lives. They should capitalize on that opportunity to the fullest.

Xiao Yao You
10-07-2021, 02:09 PM
If you make a million dollars you can move to Ohio and make the money last the rest of your life. Doesn't mean you won't want more. Every 300k a player makes is another one of his great great grandkids he can put through college. The overwhelming majority of pro athletes have a very limited amount of time over which they will make the majority of the money they will make over the course of their lives. They should capitalize on that opportunity to the fullest.

yes they should and they have to weigh the risk of giving up tens of millions in hopes of more