PDA

View Full Version : Prime Vince Carter was a very underrated all-around player...

dankok8
10-05-2021, 09:14 PM
Everyone thinks about his dunks but he was a terrific ballhandler, good passer, 40% 3pt shooter and a decent defender. When he put in more effort in the playoffs, he was also a pretty good defender. He was also a true professional and very dedicated to the game.

He gets underrated these days.

TAZORAC
10-05-2021, 11:05 PM
Not by me...I started a topic before saying that you could have replaced Kobe with Vince and the Lakers still win those championships.

He became a better a even better 3 point shooter later on in his career when he lost his athletic ability though.

2much_knowledge
10-06-2021, 12:42 AM
Vince was just getting better and better. Exploded in 2000, even better in 2001 and was killing it in 2002 before the injury

For some reason, that injury never gets mentioned

k0kakw0rld
10-06-2021, 12:54 AM
T-Mac > VC

L.Kizzle
10-06-2021, 01:01 AM
Under Kobe and McGrady. Can be argued over Ray and Pierce.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-06-2021, 02:50 AM
Kawhi did in 1 season what Vince couldn't do in 6 seasons.

I guess that makes kawhi the 6x better player.

SouBeachTalents
10-06-2021, 03:01 AM

Lose a 3-1 lead?

Axe
10-06-2021, 03:26 AM

Poop his pants in an elimination game?

SATAN
10-06-2021, 04:15 AM

Lose a 3-1 lead?

https://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0ErLeqamV3UOARsA/giphy.gif

Phoenix
10-06-2021, 04:19 AM
Vince lasted wayyyyy longer than I expected. I figured after his athleticism deteriorated he would have more or less been done by 35. That he stayed around as this veteran guy till 43 is insane.

Real Men Wear Green
10-06-2021, 07:12 AM
Shaq and VC win championships. Gasol and VC do not. Peak Carter was great but he stopped playing like a superstar in 2006 and didn't average 20 after 2008.

bizil
10-06-2021, 10:41 AM
Vince indeed had a very underrated all around game. If you are getting 5APG and 6RPG in seasons,that's a very good clip for a SG. That's what prime Vince could average. But the guys like Kobe, T Mac, and Wade were guys you could put at the PG FLAT OUT! And Kobe and Wade were all league defenders on top of it. So while Vince's all around game was very good, the other guys I named were flat out TOTAL PACKAGE type of superstars.

Bronbron23
10-06-2021, 11:14 AM
Everyone thinks about his dunks but he was a terrific ballhandler, good passer, 40% 3pt shooter and a decent defender. When he put in more effort in the playoffs, he was also a pretty good defender. He was also a true professional and very dedicated to the game.

He gets underrated these days.

I think he gets underrated because based on his talent he often underperformed. Like you say dude had all the tools. He really didn't have any weaknesses and athletically he was up there with anyone. To me he was just missing that it factor when it came to competition and winning. I think he gets rated right around where he should be.

pandiani17
10-06-2021, 11:46 AM
Under Kobe and McGrady. Can be argued over Ray and Pierce.

:roll: And I'm not a fan of PP. But come on, if when rating NBA players postseason accomplishment are so important, VC should not be mentioned above those two. That would be like putting Bernard King or David Thompson above Reggie Miller or Clyde Drexler.

pandiani17
10-06-2021, 11:48 AM
I think he gets underrated because based on his talent he often underperformed. Like you say dude had all the tools. He really didn't have any weaknesses and athletically he was up there with anyone. To me he was just missing that it factor when it came to competition and winning. I think he gets rated right around where he should be.

Agree. Basically, he had all the talent in the world but he didn't win shit in the playoffs (in part because of injuries, but that also happened to other players).

Bronbron23
10-06-2021, 12:04 PM
Agree. Basically, he had all the talent in the world but he didn't win shit in the playoffs (in part because of injuries, but that also happened to other players).

Yeah injuries definitely played a role but like you say that's part of the game. I think people maybe judge him more harshly because of how talented he was. When someone less talented and athletic dosn't dominate its easier to excuse than when the person is very talented and arguably the most athletic players ever.

jbryan1984
10-06-2021, 02:23 PM
He was great but if anything I feel he was overrated, he never lived up to his full potential/his hype imo. Last generations Blake Griffin.

Horatio33
10-06-2021, 05:52 PM
Vince lacked the mental toughness to be a champion. So many games mailed in during his prime, didn't like contact, hid behind his mum in Toronto.

TAZORAC
10-06-2021, 09:14 PM
Vince lacked the mental toughness to be a champion. So many games mailed in during his prime, didn't like contact, hid behind his mum in Toronto.

"mental toughness to be a champion"...this is basketball not boxing or MMA. It's a team sport.

getting_old
10-07-2021, 08:06 AM
No leadership qualities, you could see his enthusiasm drain out of him as time went on in Toronto.

Bottom of the barrel epic injury faker... was courtside one night when he flopped to the ground and rolled shamefully, Oak strode up and said to his teammate "GET UP YOU F****NG P-SSY!!!

seemed a typical night was him starting out 7 for 9 and ended up 11 for 25, eventually the fans caught on and were sick to death of his act in Toronto well before he left.

but lots of electric games and moments, we are deducting from 100 points here, wish he cared a little bit more and showed it

pandiani17
10-07-2021, 02:12 PM
No leadership qualities, you could see his enthusiasm drain out of him as time went on in Toronto.

Bottom of the barrel epic injury faker... was courtside one night when he flopped to the ground and rolled shamefully, Oak strode up and said to his teammate "GET UP YOU F****NG P-SSY!!!

seemed a typical night was him starting out 7 for 9 and ended up 11 for 25, eventually the fans caught on and were sick to death of his act in Toronto well before he left.

but lots of electric games and moments, we are deducting from 100 points here, wish he cared a little bit more and showed it

No ****ing way that is true!!!:whatever:

dankok8
10-07-2021, 02:19 PM
All the Carter mailing it in stories are untrue or exaggerated. Former Raptors GM Rob Babcock basically didn't want to take blame for the team underperforming so he threw Carter under the bus until Vince eventually asked to be traded. That's why when Vince went to jersey he hated the Raptors. And it's kind of sad because he loves Toronto.

If Carter hit that shot in Game 7 in 2001, we probably make the finals that year.

Real Men Wear Green
10-07-2021, 02:48 PM
All the Carter mailing it in stories are untrue or exaggerated. Former Raptors GM Rob Babcock basically didn't want to take blame for the team underperforming so he threw Carter under the bus until Vince eventually asked to be traded. That's why when Vince went to jersey he hated the Raptors. And it's kind of sad because he loves Toronto.

If Carter hit that shot in Game 7 in 2001, we probably make the finals that year.His final season with Toronto he averaged 16 points on 41% shooting before being traded and then after he got sent to Jersey he does 27ppg on 46%, He had absolutely quit on that team. You can excuse or justify it however you want to but he quit on them, that's a fact.

dankok8
10-07-2021, 04:23 PM
His final season with Toronto he averaged 16 points on 41% shooting before being traded and then after he got sent to Jersey he does 27ppg on 46%, He had absolutely quit on that team. You can excuse or justify it however you want to but he quit on them, that's a fact.

Sure that year he quit but it only recently came out what the Toronto front office did to him. They were legitimately attacking their own star in the media among other things. Carter asked for a trade before the season started and rightfully so.

Real Men Wear Green
10-07-2021, 06:29 PM
Sure that year he quit but it only recently came out what the Toronto front office did to him. They were legitimately attacking their own star in the media among other things. Carter asked for a trade before the season started and rightfully so.

You can be sympathetic to his reasons I was just pointing out that it was in fact true that he quit.

Thinking about it he was James Harden before it was cool. I wonder if agents of disgruntled stars reference this story when they are trying to get their client moved.

FilmyCogTurner
10-07-2021, 08:14 PM
VC was in total defiance mode... giving away plays to the opposing team during the actual game.... layups in open court breakaway situations. F U's left right and center.

insidehoops
10-12-2021, 11:53 AM
How would you guys compare Vince Carter at his best on the Raptors versus at his best on the Nets

n00bie
10-12-2021, 10:40 PM
He was underrated because his prime was in Toronto.. and Americans aren't able to watch Canadian games unless their team is playing against them.

Same thing is happening with Lowry.

2much_knowledge
10-12-2021, 10:54 PM

Carter also hated playing for Sam Mitchell. I believe they almost came to blows couple of times