PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving vs. Chris Paul

dankok8
10-22-2021, 09:56 AM
I saw a few posts on this in another thread.

Obviously Paul has had a better career but who would you rather have both in their primes? Who's the better basketball player?

Gohan
10-22-2021, 09:59 AM

Obviously Paul has had a better career but who would you rather have both in their primes? Who's the better basketball player?

Paul if hes not injured. Paul would of won that chip wit lebron too

Real Men Wear Green
10-22-2021, 10:11 AM
Prime Chris Paul was an MVP candidate. Prime Kyrie Irving is more interested in making political statements but even when he does play he's not MVP worthy.

Charlie Sheen
10-22-2021, 10:19 AM
The hate on Chris Paul has reached a level that he's considered Kyrie Irving's peer all time? No disrespect to Kyrie. He's a fine player, but this is disrespectful to cp3.

Edit: peak or all time, it makes no difference. Paul by a landslide

dankok8
10-22-2021, 10:22 AM
One can make a decent case that in the playoffs Kyrie at his best was better than Paul at his best...

Charlie Sheen
10-22-2021, 10:25 AM
Yeah, you go ahead and make that case. Don't forget to mention that Kyrie's best coincidentally came playing alongside perhaps the greatest player of all time.

dankok8
10-22-2021, 10:30 AM
For the record I think Paul is better but if I had to win a playoff series, it would be give me a pause who I'd rather want. Paul came up short or injured too many times in the playoffs. Just being real.

Charlie Sheen
10-22-2021, 10:34 AM
Kyrie's entire playoff resume outside of Cleveland is coming up short or injured.

bizil
10-22-2021, 10:49 AM
Frankly could go either way on this. For me CP3. I'm usually partial to pass first PG's (when comparing PG's) who can ALSO dominate game scoring. CP3 has that combo. PLUS he's an all time elite defender. When it comes to OVERALL SKILL on both sides of the court,CP3 is the best PG of all time. When it comes to combining passing, scoring, and defense, Paul is with GP and Frazier as the greatest PG's of all time. If I'm gonna pick a score first PG over CP3,it would be Curry. Kyrie isn't quite Steph, so I would take CP3 over Kyrie.

Akeem34TheDream
10-22-2021, 10:52 AM
Steph>Cp3>Dame>Kyrie

RRR3
10-22-2021, 10:58 AM
This board is completely retarded.

Manny98
10-22-2021, 12:01 PM
Regular Season - CP3

Playoffs - Kyrie

ShawkFactory
10-22-2021, 12:18 PM
Depends.

You start a team with CP3 10 out of 10 times. He’s better at more things and thus is better to build around.

If you already have a good team or superstar in place then maybe you go Kyrie to provide that over the top scoring boost.

TheCorporation
10-22-2021, 12:46 PM

Jesus, stop making stupid threads you're embrrassing the entire board.

CP3 or Kyrie?! WTF :lol

SaintzFury13
10-22-2021, 01:05 PM
For the record I think Paul is better but if I had to win a playoff series, it would be give me a pause who I'd rather want. Paul came up short or injured too many times in the playoffs. Just being real.

Okay? So has Irving, and if it wasn't for LeBron, that would have been the same case in 2016. We need to stop pretending Irving is anything special in the playoffs because of what he did in 2016.

Charlie Sheen
10-22-2021, 01:15 PM
Jesus, stop making stupid threads you're embrrassing the entire board.

CP3 or Kyrie?! WTF :lol

Right? OP might as well have titled this thread "I don't like Lebron James or Chris Paul". He's disguising it as some playoff legend of Kyrie Irving though.

ImKobe
10-22-2021, 02:12 PM
Irving is the better player. Chris Paul is known as one of the greatest chokers in NBA history while Kyrie hit arguably the most clutch shot in league history (Ray Allen's is the only one argued over his). Both are injury-prone but if healthy, I'm taking Kyrie over Paul all day. Chris also peaked early as a scorer while Irving last year put up a 50/40/90 season at ~27 ppg while shooting 7 threes a game, even after all his injuries.

Gohan
10-22-2021, 02:15 PM
Yeah, you go ahead and make that case. Don't forget to mention that Kyrie's best coincidentally came playing alongside perhaps the greatest player of all time.
One problem with your post is lebron is not even close to the greatest of all time. The media only has you believing that. He maybe the smartest player of all time ill give him that but jordan was much better

RRR3
10-22-2021, 02:40 PM
Right? OP might as well have titled this thread "I don't like Lebron James or Chris Paul". He's disguising it as some playoff legend of Kyrie Irving though.
OP was the wrong person to make the top 50 thread. Embarrassing opinion by him :facepalm

SouBeachTalents
10-22-2021, 02:53 PM
I’ve never seen a guy live off one playoff series more than Kyrie. The biggest irony of this thread is that OP always harps on CP3 getting injured in the playoffs (and rightfully so), but doesn’t seem to acknowledge that Kyrie’s missed FOUR times the playoff games that CP3 has, despite being 7 years younger and playing 60 less playoff games :lol

10-22-2021, 02:56 PM
Kyrie all the way.

RRR3
10-22-2021, 03:01 PM
I’ve never seen a guy live off one playoff series more than Kyrie. The biggest irony of this thread is that OP always harps on CP3 getting injured in the playoffs (and rightfully so), but doesn’t seem to acknowledge that Kyrie’s missed FOUR times the playoff games that CP3 has, despite being 7 years younger and playing 60 less playoff games :lol
Yeah well OP hasn’t figured out a way to use CP3 to diss LeBron yet. If he does that’ll change.

8Ball
10-22-2021, 03:08 PM
Cp3 for their entire careers year by year

SaintzFury13
10-22-2021, 03:30 PM
Irving is the better player. Chris Paul is known as one of the greatest chokers in NBA history while Kyrie hit arguably the most clutch shot in league history (Ray Allen's is the only one argued over his). Both are injury-prone but if healthy, I'm taking Kyrie over Paul all day. Chris also peaked early as a scorer while Irving last year put up a 50/40/90 season at ~27 ppg while shooting 7 threes a game, even after all his injuries.

Where do I even begin with this?

Well for starters, you're disregarding defense, where Chris Paul, even now at this age, still destroys Kyrie in that regard. On that aspect alone he's a better player. But we'll continue. Even if you give Irving the edge in scoring (which I do, I'm not trying to say I don't), Paul is far more adaptable and I'd much rather have him as my second option on offense than Irving. He's also a better playmaker and one of the best at running an offense.

Also, we need to stop overrating what Irving did in 2016. This is what happens when retards try to argue that Irving nearly equaled LeBron in production in that series, which simply did not happen. Most clutch shot in league history is just laughable. It was a tie game, it wasn't do or die for Cleveland, and it wasn't a buzzer beater. Ray Allen's isn't just one that can be argued over. It's undisputedly more clutch. It literally saved Miami's entire season. Cleveland can still win without Irving's shot, and if we go off the final results of the game... Cleveland still wins even without it.

Irving had one great playoff run. One. Chris Paul led a team to the NBA Finals. Irving didn't. I will take Chris Paul in the playoffs over Irving any day.

dankok8
10-22-2021, 03:38 PM
Problem is Irving didn't just do it in 2016. He also did it in 2017. In the 2017 Finals he put up 29/4/4 on 56 %TS... I mean those are pretty crazy numbers against one of the greatest teams ever.

People need to stop pretending like I'm saying he's better than CP3 in general. I'm saying in the playoffs there is an argument for Kyrie because he came up big in some key moments whereas CP3 didn't. And of course Kyrie is also injury prone. Of course he is. Paul is also miles better all-time. I never said otherwise. People need to learn to read and not twist other people's words.

RRR3
10-22-2021, 03:42 PM
Problem is Irving didn't just do it in 2016. He also did it in 2017. In the 2017 Finals he put up 29/4/4 on 56 %TS... I mean those are pretty crazy numbers against one of the greatest teams ever.

People need to stop pretending like I'm saying he's better than CP3 in general. I'm saying in the playoffs there is an argument for Kyrie because he came up big in some key moments whereas CP3 didn't. And of course Kyrie is also injury prone. Of course he is. Paul is also miles better all-time. I never said otherwise. People need to learn to read and not twist other people's words.
You get your opinions from Skip Bayless. Opinion discarded.

Phoenix
10-22-2021, 03:53 PM

But note that there isn't a single year outside of 2016 and 2017 where you can say anything positive about Kyrie in terms of playoff performance. His success is literally tied to Lebron being on that team, being the swiss army knife while Kyrie had no responsibility other than scoring. Offered nothing on defense nor playmaking for others. Anything he did good in those years, playing next to an all-time great, has to be weighed against how teams functioned when he was the best player between 2018 and 2020. CP3 has his flaws but you'd be hard-pressed to find a team that was BETTER off when he left( meanwhile there are obvious cases where he elevated a team beyond what they otherwise would have been, namely the 18 Rockets and 2021 Suns).

SouBeachTalents
10-22-2021, 03:54 PM

You've repeatedly dismissed LeBron's Finals numbers in '17 & '18, claiming they were inflated due to era and pace

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?491373-How-many-Finals-was-Lebron-as-dominant-as-06-Wade&p=14272751&viewfull=1#post14272751

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?488913-Lebron-s-Championship-Runs-Compared-to-Other-Perimeter-Stars-of-His-Era&p=14215855&viewfull=1#post14215855

But when it comes to Kyrie, suddenly those disclaimers go out the window, his numbers are taken at face value, and oh, he did it against one of the greatest teams ever to boot :lol

HBK_Kliq_2
10-22-2021, 03:56 PM
Neither you want as your #1 best player.

As 2nd best player? Irving is better. He showed that in 2016 when he eliminated a 73 win team.

Chris Paul could of been on that level if he didn't get hurt in 2018. I don't really even count suns Chris Paul as prime Chris Paul.

RRR3
10-22-2021, 04:00 PM
You've repeatedly dismissed LeBron's Finals numbers in '17 & '18, claiming they were inflated due to era and pace

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?491373-How-many-Finals-was-Lebron-as-dominant-as-06-Wade&p=14272751&viewfull=1#post14272751

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?488913-Lebron-s-Championship-Runs-Compared-to-Other-Perimeter-Stars-of-His-Era&p=14215855&viewfull=1#post14215855

But when it comes to Kyrie, suddenly those disclaimers go out the window, his numbers are taken at face value, and oh, he did it against one of the greatest teams ever to boot :lol
Caught his ass :oldlol:

dankok8
10-22-2021, 04:06 PM
But note that there isn't a single year outside of 2016 and 2017 where you can say anything positive about Kyrie in terms of playoff performance. His success is literally tied to Lebron being on that team, being the swiss army knife while Kyrie had no responsibility other than scoring. Offered nothing on defense nor playmaking for others. Anything he did good in those years, playing next to an all-time great, has to be weighed against how teams functioned when he was the best player between 2018 and 2020. CP3 has his flaws but you'd be hard-pressed to find a team that was BETTER off when he left( meanwhile there are obvious cases where he elevated a team beyond what they otherwise would have been, namely the 18 Rockets and 2021 Suns).

Kyrie played pretty good defense in the 2016 finals. I agree that Kyrie isn't good enough to win a title as the #1 option but neither is CP3. I don't see why playing with Lebron should be held against Kyrie. Nor am I saying that CP3 doesn't elevate teams. I just think in the playoffs in those big moments he mostly hasn't delivered. For the record, I like CP3 and I'm a fan of his but it's the truth.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...1#post14272751

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...1#post14215855

But when it comes to Kyrie, suddenly those disclaimers go out the window, his numbers are taken at face value, and oh, he did it against one of the greatest teams ever to boot

I didn't dismiss any numbers. I just said that they should be taken with a grain of salt. If you round down Kyrie's numbers to like 26-27 ppg it's still amazing. Paul also plays in the same era. Few of his series compare with what Kyrie did in the 2016 and 2017 finals.

Charlie Sheen
10-22-2021, 04:08 PM
For the record, I like CP3 and I'm a fan of his but it's the truth.

Stop it. Not only do you take every opportunity to call Chris Paul a choker, but you create them with threads like this too. Some fan you are

RRR3
10-22-2021, 04:11 PM
Stop it. Not only do you take every opportunity to call Chris Paul a choker, but you create them with threads like this too. Some fan you are
Get his ass.

tpols
10-22-2021, 04:12 PM
Chris Paul has never had a playoff run as good as '16 Kyrie. Peak Kyrie was clearly the better big game player if youre trying to win a championship. Paul literally chokes every single year in the playoffs without fail. And he's team hopped around the league with plenty of stars.

Phoenix
10-22-2021, 04:17 PM
Kyrie played pretty good defense in the 2016 finals. I agree that Kyrie isn't good enough to win a title as the #1 option but neither is CP3. I don't see why playing with Lebron should be held against Kyrie. Nor am I saying that CP3 doesn't elevate teams. I just think in the playoffs in those big moments he mostly hasn't delivered. For the record, I like CP3 and I'm a fan of his but it's the truth.

You can't speak to what Kyrie did those years without context. Lebron is the context. It's not a knock, it's the simple reality of the matter. Outside of that, what about his years prior to 2014 and from 2017 onwards is noteworthy?

StrongLurk
10-22-2021, 04:25 PM
Chris Paul easy but Kyrie at his peak (and when healthy) is underrated for sure.

dankok8
10-22-2021, 04:26 PM
You can't speak to what Kyrie did those years without context. Lebron is the context. It's not a knock, it's the simple reality of the matter. Outside of that, what about his years prior to 2014 and from 2017 onwards is noteworthy?

Well this past year in the playoffs until he got hurt he averaged 24/6/4 on 59 %TS.

Charlie Sheen
10-22-2021, 04:33 PM
Chris Paul is always hurt.

Kyrie was excellent until he got hurt

Do you see why people are giving you a hard time about this yet?

1987_Lakers
10-22-2021, 04:36 PM
Not sure why this thread was created, Kyrie hasn't done a damn thing worth noting since he left the Cavs. CP3 on the other hand just wins games no matter what team he plays for, my respect for CP3 went up the moment he took a lottery OKC team to the playoffs.

One is the most complete PG to have ever played, the other is just a scoring guard with great handles and limited versatility.

Gudo
10-22-2021, 04:37 PM
Chris Paul easy but Kyrie at his peak (and when healthy) is underrated for sure.

This

1987_Lakers
10-22-2021, 04:39 PM

/thread

Airupthere
10-22-2021, 04:43 PM

In a lebron friendly league, yes lebrons numbers are inflated. Kyrie earns his. Lebron just simply gets away with alot due to his size and the rules catering to his game.

Phoenix
10-22-2021, 04:59 PM
Well this past year in the playoffs until he got hurt he averaged 24/6/4 on 59 %TS.

What's the noteworthy part here? Those are pretty typical Kyrie numbers.

LBJ
10-22-2021, 08:14 PM
Kyrie is not even better than Rondo.

ShawkFactory
10-22-2021, 08:26 PM
Chris Paul has never had a playoff run as good as '16 Kyrie. Peak Kyrie was clearly the better big game player if youre trying to win a championship. Paul literally chokes every single year in the playoffs without fail. And he's team hopped around the league with plenty of stars.

People really lose context when they say things like this.

bizil
10-22-2021, 11:01 PM
CP3 hitting 20,000 points and 10,000 dimes is some BOSS SHIT!! He's the first player to ever do it! And he's a pass first PG to boot. Goes to show how complete a PG he is when u factor his defensive excellence on top of it.

999Guy
10-22-2021, 11:33 PM

Kyrie Irving in the 2017 finals was a pathetic joke of a “superstar” performance.

Made no effort to look for playmaking angles, played some of the worst, lowest IQ defense in the history of deep playoff series, and played high minutes and possessions to even have that output of scoring.

This is a guy who doubled Zaza in the post off Klay Thompson. That’s the level of basketball you are trying to convince yourself Chris Paul was below.

And then to start Kyrie played some of the least well rounded basketball I’ve ever seen to start the playoff run in 2017.

Getting smoked by Jeff Teague, having zero assist games, meanwhile Deron Williams’ dead body came off the bench and ran the offense better than him.

Kyrie was good, truly good for half the Boston series. Complete mediocrity the rest of the playoffs.

ImKobe
10-22-2021, 11:59 PM
Kyrie Irving in the 2017 finals was a pathetic joke of a “superstar” performance.

Made no effort to look for playmaking angles, played some of the worst, lowest IQ defense in the history of deep playoff series, and played high minutes and possessions to even have that output of scoring.

This is a guy who doubled Zaza in the post off Klay Thompson. That’s the level of basketball you are trying to convince yourself Chris Paul was below.

And then to start Kyrie played some of the least well rounded basketball I’ve ever seen to start the playoff run in 2017.

Getting smoked by Jeff Teague, having zero assist games, meanwhile Deron Williams’ dead body came off the bench and ran the offense better than him.

Kyrie was good, truly good for half the Boston series. Complete mediocrity the rest of the playoffs.

Playmaking angles? His role was to score and if not for Lebron's choke, that series goes 6 games at the very least.. Also, he averaged 8.5 assists (34 ast to 7 TO) in the Raptors series and was insanely efficient in the ECF. He had one 0 ast game that entire run in a win and put up 6+ ast in half of his PO games. Cavs' 2nd unit was garbage in the Finals. Deron shot 12.5%FG with 11.1%3PT in the Finals so he was a huge negative for them.

RRR3
10-23-2021, 12:03 AM

Legit will never forget that. Absolute retard mode.

ShawkFactory
10-23-2021, 12:06 AM
Playmaking angles? His role was to score and if not for Lebron's choke, that series goes 6 games at the very least.. Also, he averaged 8.5 assists (34 ast to 7 TO) in the Raptors series and was insanely efficient in the ECF. He had one 0 ast game that entire run in a win and put up 6+ ast in half of his PO games. Cavs' 2nd unit was garbage in the Finals. Deron shot 12.5%FG with 11.1%3PT in the Finals so he was a huge negative for them.

Which one?

RRR3
10-23-2021, 12:08 AM
Which one?
LeBron chokes every year. Even when he wins.