PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Miller is officially the most overrated player in NBA history

TheGoatest
10-25-2021, 08:13 AM
Seriously, in what universe does this make sense:

Player A:

5 x all-star
3 x all-NBA 3rd team

gets selected to the top 75 players of all time over:

Player B:

3 x DPOY
8 x all-star
5 x all-NBA 1st team
1 x all-NBA 2nd team
2 x all-NBA 3rd team

In 1993-94, a sophmore Latrell Sprewell, who averaged 21.0 ppg, 4.9 rpg and 4.7 apg, made the all-NBA 1st team. A 28 year-old, 79 game playing healthy Reggie Miller didn't even make all-NBA 3rd team. He wasn't selected to the all-NBA 2nd team in an era where Latrell Sprewell, Tim Hardaway and Mark Price made all-NBA 1st teams as guards. What a joke. :oldlol:

10-25-2021, 08:19 AM
Reggie Miller was vastly superior to Stephen Curry and Lebron James because in the 90s it was impossible to score except with 13 ft hangtime jumpers.

8Ball
10-25-2021, 08:53 AM
Seriously, in what universe does this make sense:

Player A:

5 x all-star
3 x all-NBA 3rd team

gets selected to the top 75 players of all time over:

Player B:

3 x DPOY
8 x all-star
5 x all-NBA 1st team
1 x all-NBA 2nd team
2 x all-NBA 3rd team

In 1993-94, a sophmore Latrell Sprewell, who averaged 21.0 ppg, 4.9 rpg and 4.7 apg, made the all-NBA 1st team. A 28 year-old, 79 game playing healthy Reggie Miller didn't even make all-NBA 3rd team. He wasn't selected to the all-NBA 2nd team in an era where Latrell Sprewell, Tim Hardaway and Mark Price made all-NBA 1st teams as guards. What a joke. :oldlol:

Reggie Miller being a sports caster has kept his name in media circles.

It was a pity vote.

Jasper
10-25-2021, 08:35 PM
He was more of a prolific scorer than OP lets on.
Every team I saw him play against -- played multiple defenses against him.
Why ???

He was a dangerous shooter/

Mr. Woke
10-25-2021, 08:44 PM
True dat.

90s babies sure love to lionize mediocre players.

L.Kizzle
10-25-2021, 08:49 PM
In Reggie Miller's first year being eligible for the Hall of Fame, he wasn't even on the ballot.
It was with the media's influence he made. Some how the very next season, he's on the ballot and gets enough votes.

How do you go from not enough votes to make the ballot to all of a sudden have enough votes to not only make the ballot bit get selected.

Gohan
10-25-2021, 08:52 PM
Reggie Miller was vastly superior to Stephen Curry and Lebron James because in the 90s it was impossible to score except with 13 ft hangtime jumpers.

I laughed but jordan is really better than both. Reggie has become totally overrated though

DevBooker'sMask
10-25-2021, 09:03 PM
Reggie Miller is supreme garbage he should not be top 200

kabacho
10-25-2021, 09:51 PM
whos player b?

L.Kizzle
10-25-2021, 10:02 PM
whos player b?
Player B also led his team to the Finals and has like eight top 5 MVP voting finishes.

Reggie43
10-25-2021, 10:09 PM
Overrated? Sure. Most in history? Not even close.

Its always hard to explain to kids how good he was but lets try to compare his playoff scoring numbers at the same age to todays premier shooter in Steph Curry.

24.7ppg .481fg% .436%3p 7.6fta .861ft%

26.5ppg .450fg% .401%3p 5.3fta .906ft%

One of these is Miller's career playoffs numbers up to Curry's current age. Reggie has only half the games but he also didnt play with someone as good as Kd or even Klay for that matter.

He also helped lead his team to Six Conference Finals berths, Five as his teams best player and even leading them all the way to the Finals in 2000 when you have guys in the hof who are lucky to have one deep playoff run or even escape out of the first round. Heck he was a few made plays away from reaching the Finals in 94 and 98 against the Knicks and the Bulls respectively plus that that epic 7 game series against Orlando in 1995. He was leading his team over the likes of Shaq/Penny, Ewing/Oakley/Starks, Iverson, Ray etc.

He was lucky enough to have a good team with great chemistry and depth which was enough to compete against anyone but would have wished he had a perennial allstar by his side instead of having an extra starter or two on the bench which was still pretty good in fairness.

L.Kizzle
10-25-2021, 10:15 PM
Overrated? Sure. Most in history? Not even close.

Its always hard to explain to kids how good he was but lets try to compare his playoff scoring numbers at the same age to todays premier shooter in Steph Curry.

24.7ppg .481fg% .436%3p 7.6fta .861ft%

26.5ppg .450fg% .401%3p 5.3fta .906ft%

One of these is Miller's career playoffs numbers up to Curry's current age. Reggie has only half the games but he also didnt play with someone as good as Kd or even Klay for that matter.

He also helped lead his team to Six Conference Finals berths, Five as his teams best player and even leading them all the way to the Finals in 2000 when you have guys in the hof who are lucky to have one deep playoff run or even escape out of the first round. Heck he was a few made plays away from reaching the Finals in 94 and 98 against the Knicks and the Bulls respectively plus that that epic 7 game series against Orlando in 1995. He was leading his team over the likes of Shaq/Penny, Ewing/Oakley/Starks, Iverson, Ray etc.

He was lucky enough to have a good team with great chemistry and depth which was enough to compete against anyone but would have wished he had a perennial allstar by his side instead of having an extra starter or two on the bench which was still pretty good in fairness.
I think people look at his low accolades count.
Like OP mentioned, why is he only a three time All NBA 3rd teamer? Why were his peers making more All NBA teams then him in the same era.
Why was his teammate Detlef Schrempf being selected as an All-Star over him.
People look at things like that.

Reggie43
10-25-2021, 10:30 PM
I think people look at his low accolades count.
Like OP mentioned, why is he only a three time All NBA 3rd teamer? Why were his peers making more All NBA teams then him in the same era.
Why was his teammate Detlef Schrempf being selected as an All-Star over him.
People look at things like that.

Yeah I know why he is considered overrated by some but the most overrated?

All nba accolades are judged by the regular season, Im pretty sure he would have a few more of those if they added his post season play.

On the other side of the coin he was thought of highly by the voters because of the aforementioned deep playoff runs which is not really expected from a 2nd/3rd tier guy like Miller so he must be doing something right. Being the goat 3point shooter of his era also helps, as with being the Pacers best player in franchise history and arguably the goat in moving off the ball.

Lots of guys are deserving of top 75 and him not being there is totally fine but people act like he has no case to begin with.

jbryan1984
10-25-2021, 11:46 PM
I get it, the stats don't lie. But to me I remember him being a much bigger star than he does get credit for. It surprised me he didn't have more selections. Loved those mid to late 90s Pacers teams.

TheCorporation
10-26-2021, 12:18 AM
He was more of a prolific scorer than OP lets on.
Every team I saw him play against -- played multiple defenses against him.
Why ???

He was a dangerous shooter/

Yeah? So prolific that he never averaged 25 ppg for a single season? :lol

TheCorporation
10-26-2021, 12:19 AM
whos player b?

Dwight Howard

dankok8
10-26-2021, 12:25 AM
Reggie was one of those guys who got much better in the playoffs.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-26-2021, 12:46 AM
He never made any all nba teams until the spike lee thing and he can't even dribble a f'n ball.

At least he was his teams #1 though, i respect him more then that role player Klay Thompson who could of been replaced by Toni Kukoc on half his teams.

TheGoatest
10-26-2021, 05:09 AM
Reggie was one of those guys who got much better in the playoffs.

Yet for all his "improvement" in the playoffs, he doesn't have a ring. This includes the two seasons the Bulls didn't win between 1993 and 1995 when Hakeem won with a bunch of role players, as well as the seasons after the Bulls stopped winning while Miller still wasn't quite out of his prime.

He has one finals appearance, which is exactly what Dwight has as well, as the main man. Plus Dwight won a ring later on as a role player.

Miller has no accomplishment/stat-based arguments to be in 75. His only argument is name recognition, if you want to call that an argument.

His inclusion is an obvious, lame attempt to make the exceptionally weak shooting guard position throughout the 90s look better.