PDA

View Full Version : Melo was begging to be in league recently yet now he's top 75 for joining Bron?

3ba11
10-26-2021, 12:16 AM
Got it

RRR3
10-26-2021, 12:22 AM
He made the top 75 for what he did in his prime. Are you incapable of critical thought?

3ba11
10-26-2021, 12:27 AM
He made the top 75 for what he did in his prime. Are you incapable of critical thought?

His prime was nowhere near tons of guys, come off it

Everyone was saying he was just a 1-dimensional scorer of the worst kind.. But now he joins Bron a d voila - top 75.. scoring matters

RRR3
10-26-2021, 12:28 AM
His prime was nowhere near tons of guys, come off it

Everyone was saying he was just a 1-dimensional scorer of the worst kind
Believe it or not, it’s not my top 75 and lots of people think more highly of Prime Melo than I do. Surprised you don’t like him since he scored a ton of points and was skilled. That’s all you care about you should love him.

3ba11
10-26-2021, 12:30 AM
Believe it or not, it’s not my top 75 and lots of people think more highly of Prime Melo than I do. Surprised you don’t like him since he scored a ton of points and was skilled. That’s all you care about you should love him.

Historical record:

Everyone said Melo was a 1-dimensional scorer of the worst kind, but now he joins Bron and voila - top 75 and scoring matters suddenly

Melo's selection is based on scoring and no rings, which 100% contradiction to Pippen's selection (rings and no scoring)

RRR3
10-26-2021, 12:32 AM
Historical record:

Everyone said Melo was a 1-dimensional scorer of the worst kind, but now he joins Bron and voila - top 75 and scoring matters suddenly

Melo's selection is based on scoring and no rings, which 100% contradiction to Pippen's selection (rings and no scoring)
3bot malfunction. Scoring and skills good when Kobe does it, bad when Melo does it. Got it.

3ba11
10-26-2021, 12:54 AM
3bot malfunction. Scoring and skills good when Kobe does it, bad when Melo does it. Got it.

People like you equating Melo to Kobe for the first time ever proves the point - only once Melo jumped to the Clutch Resume Manufacture Organization, did you think Melo was any good

You guys are frauds.

RRR3
10-26-2021, 01:51 AM
People like you equating Melo to Kobe for the first time ever proves the point - only once Melo jumped to the Clutch Resume Manufacture Organization, did you think Melo was any good

You guys are frauds.
Melo is completely washed. He’s terrible. He was good a while ago though. Melo has got compared to Kobe plenty, don’t lie to yourself.

GimmeThat
10-26-2021, 01:57 AM
cases has been made for him being top 15 in his position

Full Court
10-26-2021, 06:46 PM
He's probably fringe top 75, but I don't think him being on the list is egregious. There are worse selections on the list.

ShawkFactory
10-26-2021, 07:13 PM
Wouldn't that ruin the narrative that he's contributing to Lebron's stackedness?

Rysio
10-27-2021, 02:12 AM
He's closer to top 25 then 75.

ImKobe
10-27-2021, 02:22 AM
Historical record:

Melo is definitely top 75 all-time if you also account for his College and Olympics accolades. Even without accounting for those, he's 9th all-time scoring and made 10 all-star teams and was on 6 All-NBA teams so he definitely has a strong case for top 75 overall.

3ba11
10-27-2021, 03:18 AM
Melo is definitely top 75 all-time if you also account for his College and Olympics accolades. Even without accounting for those, he's 9th all-time scoring and made 10 all-star teams and was on 6 All-NBA teams so he definitely has a strong case for top 75 overall.

Longevity counts little and media awards count zero towards how good someone is at basketball - it's hard to believe a group of people thought Melo was top 75 after calling him a mindless chucker for 2 decades

GimmeThat
10-27-2021, 03:23 AM
Longevity counts little and media awards count zero towards how good someone is at basketball - it's hard to believe a group of people thought Melo was top 75 after calling him a mindless chucker for 2 decades

I'm sort of unaware as to how an Amazon employee can be qualified for employee of the month at Tesla

3ba11
10-27-2021, 03:42 AM

KJ and Tim Hardaway were 5x All-NBA and had far better stats, while winning much more.

ImKobe
10-27-2021, 04:26 AM
KJ and Tim Hardaway were 5x All-NBA and had far better stats, while winning much more.

How did they win more exactly?

Melo's played in more PO games than Hardaway and had more longevity than both of them with more All-Star seasons than the two of them combined. Melo never played with someone as good as '93 Barkley and all 3 led a team to the Conference Finals. Rookie Melo led a team to the Playoffs as a #1 option and under the old handchecking rules and should have been the ROY but the machine was behind Lebron.

And the "far better stats" thing is a reach too. Melo's best years are on par with KJ's best and slightly better than Hardaway's. KJ was the better Playoff performer but Carmelo had the better career & longevity. He was the 2nd or 3rd best SF (after KD hit his prime) for a long stretch of his career and the forward position was stacked, yet he was still 6x All-NBA.

tpols
10-27-2021, 08:34 AM
"Its a big club... and you ain't in it."

-GC

Nepotism at its finest, they should be ashamed of themselves for having me lo in over Vince carter, Tmac, and Kyrie.

tpols
10-27-2021, 08:38 AM
Melo btw had negative splits in the playoffs every single year of his career aside from 2009. He was literally garbage when it counted for almost the entirety of his career. I still remember Amare being an MVP candidate on the Knicks in the first couple months and then Melo got traded and totally destroyed the team.

If you want a guy who will stall all ball movement, hold the ball with no dribble for a 10 second survey of feigned jab steps, miss most of his shots, and play no defense Melo is your guy.

Kblaze8855
10-27-2021, 10:17 AM
Melo btw had negative splits in the playoffs every single year of his career aside from 2009. He was literally garbage when it counted for almost the entirety of his career. I still remember Amare being an MVP candidate on the Knicks in the first couple months and then Melo got traded and totally destroyed the team.

If you want a guy who will stall all ball movement, hold the ball with no dribble for a 10 second survey of feigned jab steps, miss most of his shots, and play no defense Melo is your guy.

He’s the guy of basketball players that’s for sure. All the jab step pull-up and so on shit internet stat nerds talk about is exactly what scorers love about him. Like Steph posting his crazy footwork saying he was looking for the travel watching it 20 times and couldn’t find it. The “That boy good” tweet he had. Or Kobe talking about Melo being the hardest to guard in the league(before switching it to Durant late in his career). Speaking of KD….Melo is the guy he hated guarding most….and admitted he stole a lot of moves from:

“Melo. He was just physical. He would duck you in the paint, hit you with the shoulder, then he’ll take you out… Jab, jab, pull over top of you. You wanna be physical, but you don’t… he just had you thinking too much on D… I got on the plane confused.”

Melo is a scorers scorer. Not a stat nerd type. Basketball players know how tough it is to play the way he does at all much less to play it and end up a top 10 all time scorer.

Melo is one of those “bucket” guys like Tmac, Kobe, and so on who shouldn’t score so much considering the difficulty of their shots but still just punish you.

Thats why he’s so respected by other scorers. Fans see 4 jab steps and wonder why he didn’t pass. Players see it and wonder how he still rose and scored on my good contest 12 times. Pierce had him over Kobe, Lebron, and KD as his toughest cover too:

“Kobe is one of the best scorers in NBA history. But I don’t have as much trouble with him in the post as I do with Carmelo. LeBron is a great post-up player, but if you get him to settle for the jumper on some nights, you might be able to slow him down if his shot is off. That’s not the case with Melo. If you give him space to shoot, he’ll make it many more times than he misses it. To put it plainly, he’s not a fun assignment on defense.”

“If I had to single one guy out who is the most difficult player to guard in the league, it would have to be Carmelo. He’s a unique blend of being big, strong, and athletic. While also having a world-class shooting touch and a natural ability to get to the rim. That’s what sets him apart — every facet of his game is elite.
Some great players will have one or two particular skills that make them special. But Carmelo can do everything, which puts you in a baaad situation as a defender. A lot of guys might shoot better from certain areas, so you try to force them elsewhere on the floor. Carmelo doesn’t have a spot on the floor where he can’t consistently hit shots.
In my opinion, his combination of physicality and shooting touch is unmatched in the NBA. You can’t take one second off when you’re matched up against him.”

He just isn’t the type to get love from people who read performances to judge them instead of watching them.

Scorers respect the **** outta Melo. People on basketball reference don’t. Melo, Durant, and Kobe are probably the most consistently respected scorers of the last 20 years among their peers. Tmac would be but 18 years of health vs like 7 makes a difference far as how remembered you will be at times like this.

tpols
10-27-2021, 10:27 AM
You couldn't come to the description I posted by reading boxscores. You watch the games and see it ~ he killed ball movement when he was in his prime. And his teams generally underperformed as a result. Black hole player.

In catch and shoot roles like in international play he was actually alright. Melo can shoot and when he played quick strike was nice. Problem is he rarely played that way in the NBA.

I watched 100s of Knicks games on MSG network and Me lo was an absolutely unbearable player to watch in his prime and everybody talked about it too.

Players giving other players compliments is politics. They almost always speak well about each other and don't step on toes.

Phoenix
10-27-2021, 10:45 AM
You couldn't come to the description I posted by reading boxscores. You watch the games and see it ~ he killed ball movement when he was in his prime. And his teams generally underperformed as a result. Black hole player.

In catch and shoot roles like in international play he was actually alright. Melo can shoot and when he played quick strike was nice. Problem is he rarely played that way in the NBA.

I watched 100s of Knicks games on MSG network and Me lo was an absolutely unbearable player to watch in his prime and everybody talked about it too.

Players giving other players compliments is politics. They almost always speak well about each other and don't step on toes.

So you're saying Pierce has political reasons to say 'Kobe doesn't give me as much trouble in the post as Melo'. If anything, it's in Truth's best interest to hype Kobe above all else so he can say 'that guy? Beat him in the finals.' That would be self-serving politics.

But Melo saying 'Kobe was the toughest cover for me'.....well given your pro-Kobe position I suspect you wouldn't consider a 'political' viewpoint, just smart basketball talk.

Kblaze8855
10-27-2021, 10:47 AM
“Everybody” complained while players consistently raved and called him the best pure scorer in the league. Players compliment each other. Players don’t call everyone tougher to guard than Kobe. Obviously there are levels. Melo has among the widest gaps between player analysis and guy working at Wendy’s analysis. I’m sure he has no trouble sleeping knowing Kobe, Pierce, Steph, and KD talk at lengths about his scoring skill set and some Dexters lab know nothing doesn’t like his such and such rating.

Phoenix
10-27-2021, 10:49 AM
“Everybody” complained while players consistently raved and called him the best pure scorer in the league. Players compliment each other. Players don’t call everyone tougher to guard than Kobe. Obviously there are levels. Melo has among the widest gaps between player analysis and guy working at Wendy’s analysis. I’m sure he has no trouble sleeping knowing Kobe, Pierce, Steph, and KD talk at lengths about his scoring skill set and some Dexters lab know nothing doesn’t like his such and such rating.
:oldlol:

tpols
10-27-2021, 10:52 AM
So you're saying Pierce has political reasons to say 'Kobe doesn't give me as much trouble in the post as Melo'. If anything, it's in Truth's best interest to hype Kobe above all else so he can say 'that guy? Beat him in the finals.' That would be self-serving politics.

But Melo saying 'Kobe was the toughest cover for me'.....well given your pro-Kobe position I suspect you wouldn't consider a 'political' viewpoint, just smart basketball talk.

In that same quote Pierce said LeBron was a great post player. What can be made of that? Its a joke...

But there's much more to basketball than post play. Its possible Melo being such a good iso scorer and post player was bad for the team since he routinely hijacked possessions and left everybody else standing around uninvolved. Kobe was a chucker, but he didn't stall like Melo routinely did. Lakers moved the ball and were a top assist team while Kobe got his. That never happened on Melo led teams. Yes he was a great Iso player, but he couldnt get his without disrupting the flow or rhythm of the team. Kobe could.

Phoenix
10-27-2021, 11:10 AM
In that same quote Pierce said LeBron was a great post player. What can be made of that? Its a joke...

But there's much more to basketball than post play. Its possible Melo being such a good iso scorer and post player was bad for the team since he routinely hijacked possessions and left everybody else standing around uninvolved. Kobe was a chucker, but he didn't stall like Melo routinely did. Lakers moved the ball and were a top assist team while Kobe got his. That never happened on Melo led teams. Yes he was a great Iso player, but he couldnt get his without disrupting the flow or rhythm of the team. Kobe could.

That's not the point being made. It's mostly about what you consider 'political reasons' for why players compliment each other or otherwise. What's Pierce's in relation to Melo, considering he came up in the era of Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Vince, Tmac? He had plenty of choices when it came to selecting his least comfortable assignment. I just find that people here agree with or shit on player analysis based on whether it aligns with your own view.

Kblaze8855
10-27-2021, 11:32 AM
. In that same quote Pierce said LeBron was a great post player. What can be made of that? Its a joke

What can be made of it? That your years of trolling about Lebron gave you less information than Pierce who actually had to guard him?

Paul Pierce doesn’t even like Lebron but obviously a 6’9” super athlete is a bit of a load around the basket. You think memes and trolling about Jj Barea actually make Lebron easy to stop when he wants to post you up?

Shit like this is exactly why guys like KD and Pierce think fans are idiots. They give you an actual breakdown of a guys offense from years of hands on experience, scouting reports, and film sessions built by coaches who only exist to tell them how to guard the guy only to get “Nuh uhhh!” from an apprentice chimney sweep who watches the nba between “POV gagging*” searches on xvideos.

Phoenix
10-27-2021, 11:37 AM
What can be made of it? That your years of trolling about Lebron gave you less information than Pierce who actually had to guard him?

Paul Pierce doesn’t even like Lebron but obviously a 6’9” super athlete is a bit of a load around the basket. You think memes and trolling about Jj Barea actually make Lebron easy to stop when he wants to post you up?

Shit like this is exactly why guys like KD and Pierce think fans are idiots. They give you an actual breakdown of a guys offense from years of hands on experience, scouting reports, and film sessions built by coaches who only exist to tell them how to guard the guy only to get “Nuh uhhh!” from an apprentice chimney sweep who watches the nba between “POV gagging*” searches on xvideos.

Jesus H Christ.

JohnMax
10-27-2021, 12:18 PM
So Melo made top 75 list because he's a teammate of Lebron but Bosh, Kyrie and Dwight did not even though they helped him win championships.

3ba11
10-27-2021, 12:23 PM
How did they win more exactly?

Melo's played in more PO games than Hardaway and had more longevity than both of them with more All-Star seasons than the two of them combined. Melo never played with someone as good as '93 Barkley and all 3 led a team to the Conference Finals. Rookie Melo led a team to the Playoffs as a #1 option and under the old handchecking rules and should have been the ROY but the machine was behind Lebron.

And the "far better stats" thing is a reach too. Melo's best years are on par with KJ's best and slightly better than Hardaway's. KJ was the better Playoff performer but Carmelo had the better career & longevity. He was the 2nd or 3rd best SF (after KD hit his prime) for a long stretch of his career and the forward position was stacked, yet he was still 6x All-NBA.

KJ routinely won 55+ and conference finals without Barkley, including the destruction of Magic's 1-seeded Lakers in 1990...

KJ was also #1 option over Barkley in the 2 seven-game wars versus 94' and 95' Hakeem - KJ averaged 28/5/9 in both series with two 45 point games and historic poster over Hakeem.. Barkley wet the bed and caused loss in those series.

And Tim Hardaway routinely won 60 games and had deep playoff runs, while inventing a more modern crossover that Melo uses inferiorly.

So Melo doesn't have a case over either guy - they're all the same tier

tpols
10-27-2021, 12:34 PM
I've never been a Wendys employee, but funny enough I did work at McDonalds for 3 years as a teenager. Went from front cashier to runner to front drive thru to back drive thru to assembler to cook in that order as people left and I was the only one left to plug the vacancy.

I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that handling rush hour shifts on the weekends as an employee that society often mocks was MUCH harder than cushy corporate gigs I've been working later in life. Like.... 100x easier and get paid way more.

So the appeal to authority is funny. People simply can't think for themselves nowadays or formulate their own opinions. Everything is a relay of someone higher than them.

Kblaze8855
10-27-2021, 01:20 PM
You having worked at McDonald’s I readily acknowledge your superior knowledge of it. And if this were about if it’s harder to get the fries right or the nuggets I obviously would lean towards your opinion over mine….who never did either. Call it appealing to authority if you like. I call it having common sense and being real enough to admit what I don’t know.

I don’t know if ___ is harder to guard than Melo. Kobe guarded _____ and Melo so I assume he knows better than I do. Kobe knows defense. You know if the pickle goes on the McDouble first or the onion. I go to you for such information from here on out. I’ll ask Tony Allen about guarding Carmelo Anthony. Deal?

tpols
10-27-2021, 01:54 PM
You having worked at McDonald’s I readily acknowledge your superior knowledge of it. And if this were about if it’s harder to get the fries right or the nuggets I obviously would lean towards your opinion over mine….who never did either. Call it appealing to authority if you like. I call it having common sense and being real enough to admit what I don’t know.

I don’t know if ___ is harder to guard than Melo. Kobe guarded _____ and Melo so I assume he knows better than I do. Kobe knows defense. You know if the pickle goes on the McDouble first or the onion. I go to you for such information from here on out. I’ll ask Tony Allen about guarding Carmelo Anthony. Deal?

*sigh*

It doesn't matter which order you throw the pickles and onions on since they will assimilate equilaterally between the top bun and meat upon pressing, with further assimilation achieved through the application of an ample supply of ketchup and two drops of mustard.

If somebody doesn't even know the basics of making a simple hamburger how can I trust their basketball expertise?

Kblaze8855
10-27-2021, 02:05 PM
So the two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onion on a sesame seed bun jingle was only a suggestion? That’s the kinda informed inside information I come to you for. I go to nba players for:

“If I had to single one guy out who is the most difficult player to guard in the league, it would have to be Carmelo. He’s a unique blend of being big, strong, and athletic. While also having a world-class shooting touch and a natural ability to get to the rim. That’s what sets him apart — every facet of his game is elite.
Some great players will have one or two particular skills that make them special. But Carmelo can do everything, which puts you in a baaad situation as a defender. A lot of guys might shoot better from certain areas, so you try to force them elsewhere on the floor. Carmelo doesn’t have a spot on the floor where he can’t consistently hit shots.
In my opinion, his combination of physicality and shooting touch is unmatched in the NBA. You can’t take one second off when you’re matched up against him.”.

You know…..basketball playing information.

tpols
10-27-2021, 02:11 PM
Just don't over do the mustard. The ketchup to mustard ratio is imperative.

Kblaze8855
10-27-2021, 02:19 PM
Isnt it applied with a little squirt thing that measures each portion because they don’t trust you to have restraint?

Phoenix
10-27-2021, 04:10 PM
In that Jimmy Kimmel interview, Kobe basically mentions Iverson, Melo and Tmac as the toughest guys he ever had to face, he put the most energy into talking about them specifically. All three of which are commonly shat on here because of TS% numbers or not getting out of the first round with a dogshit or unhealthy roster.

L.Kizzle
10-27-2021, 04:23 PM
What's the difference between Melo and Alex English?

NBAGOAT
10-27-2021, 04:40 PM
In that Jimmy Kimmel interview, Kobe basically mentions Iverson, Melo and Tmac as the toughest guys he ever had to face, he put the most energy into talking about them specifically. All three of which are commonly shat on here because of TS% numbers or not getting out of the first round with a dogshit or unhealthy roster.

Melos problem compared to the other 2 is he just doesn’t pass the ball or create for others as much. There’s some modern bias going on tbf but a lot of scorer who aren’t efficient and can’t create for others don’t even start now, they get used as bench scorers