PDA

View Full Version : LaMelo Ball reminds you of...?

Real Men Wear Green
10-26-2021, 09:32 AM
Watching him vs the Celtics yesterday I really couldn't think of a good comparison. Too big for me to say Jason Williams. Too much of a point guard to be Jamal Crawford. The announcing crew compared him to Pistol Pete but probably none of us watched Maravich. Tempted to say Steve Smith but I don't have a good memory of him either.

Airupthere
10-26-2021, 09:50 AM
Penny will less hops and better range?

PP34Deuce
10-26-2021, 10:11 AM
Totally Penny Hardaway. Built similar. Not as athletic but plays just like him.

Charlie Sheen
10-26-2021, 10:14 AM
shaun livingston before the injury ...maybe not a perfect comparison because of the gap in shooting though.

insight
10-26-2021, 10:42 AM
His unorthodox style and energy reminds of Manu Ginabli.

Kobe_Bryant
10-26-2021, 10:43 AM
nick van exel

insight
10-26-2021, 10:57 AM
nick van exel

What? Van Excel is 6"1, Mello is 6"7. Nick was quick, Mello is a long strider.

Kobe_Bryant
10-26-2021, 11:07 AM
What? Van Excel is 6"1, Mello is 6"7. Nick was quick, Mello is a long strider.

not talking about body types. their games are similar. nick would freestyle dribble around screens for a long shot or drive for a fancy hanging layup

Airupthere
10-26-2021, 11:09 AM
not talking about body types. their games are similar. nick would freestyle dribble around screens for a long shot or drive for a fancy hanging layup

I remember nick more for his tear drop shots and fancy ball handling. The body types are too different to associate the two.

Kobe_Bryant
10-26-2021, 11:23 AM
I remember nick more for his tear drop shots and fancy ball handling. The body types are too different to associate the two.

lamelo also does amazing floaters, runners and also freestyle dribbles a ton

I remember nick doing long one handed passes too

beasted
10-26-2021, 02:09 PM

I honestly feel this is the best comparison so far.

Dbrog
10-26-2021, 03:57 PM

I could see a bit of Ginobili for sure though I would say Ball is already a better scorer. Ginobili better defense

I actually think the pre-injury Livingston is pretty accurate minus the shooting as Charlie said

JohnMax
10-26-2021, 04:24 PM
A Harden or Luka who can't bully people because of his smaller frame.

fsvr54
10-26-2021, 04:28 PM
Bozo the clown

WhiteKyrie
10-26-2021, 04:30 PM
Definitely in the mold and lineage of less athletic Penny and ore catastrophic knee injury Shaun Livingston. Love his craftiness, un-orthodox nature and passing ability. Seems like a good kid too.

insight
10-26-2021, 05:21 PM
I could see a bit of Ginobili for sure though I would say Ball is already a better scorer. Ginobili better defense

I actually think the pre-injury Livingston is pretty accurate minus the shooting as Charlie said

Nah, I got to disagree with you on that one. Ginobili was a tremendous scorer but he played within Popovich system, the center pieces were Robinson and Duncan. On another team he would have been a primary scorer, on the spurs he was used as a 6th man. I think he has the ability to exceed Ginobili offensively but I don't see that right now.

He is nothing like Penny Hardaway. pre-injury Hardaway could jump out the gym and his handles were tight and quick, nothing unorthodox just smooth.

He dribbles like Lingston, but Mello's biggest asset is his passing and I don't recall Livingston with the skill set he was more of a pull up shooter.

j3lademaster
10-26-2021, 05:34 PM
Nah, I got to disagree with you on that one. Ginobili was a tremendous scorer but he played within Popovich system, the center pieces were Robinson and Duncan. On another team he would have been a primary scorer, on the spurs he was used as a 6th man. I think he has the ability to exceed Ginobili offensively but I don't see that right now.

He is nothing like Penny Hardaway. pre-injury Hardaway could jump out the gym and his handles were tight and quick, nothing unorthodox just smooth.

He dribbles like Lingston, but Mello's biggest asset is his passing and I don't recall Livingston with the skill set he was more of a pull up shooter.In high school and before his injury Livingston was a pass first point guard. He was compared to a less athletic Penny, as a matter of fact. He bounced around teams after that where he developed a decent mid range j and eventually landed on the Warriors.

aceman
10-26-2021, 05:45 PM
Watching him vs the Celtics yesterday I really couldn't think of a good comparison. Too big for me to say Jason Williams. Too much of a point guard to be Jamal Crawford. The announcing crew compared him to Pistol Pete but probably none of us watched Maravich. Tempted to say Steve Smith but I don't have a good memory of him either.

Not Steve Smith who was a pure scorer. More Anfernee Hardaway or Magic Johnson

Jasper
10-26-2021, 07:01 PM

I saw Pistol personally ...
LaMelo is or has some of that , but I will say he needs to hit the weight room and fix his jumper.

His jumper is a high school shoot , His release point is no were near the top of his ended arm above his head.

When guys play tight Defense everything will change for him.. (his brother found out) He made the change , and now is dangerous.

He has handles , and great court vision and that is why MJ drafted him.
I can't wait to see Rozier in there with the hornets.