PDA

View Full Version : Bird/Kawhi vs Jordan/Kobe: who is the better duo?

HBK_Kliq_2
10-26-2021, 07:38 PM
The four best wing players of the last 40 years. Who would you rather have for 1 playoff run in this era? A duo of Kawhi/Bird or a duo of Jordan/Kobe?

Bird and Kawhi were not a product of Phil Jackson ball and own the best home record in a single season at 40-1, their teams are also more consistently elite in the regular season.

GrayGoat
10-26-2021, 08:00 PM
Depends how many games Kawhi sits

Kobe_Bryant
10-26-2021, 08:06 PM
lol me and Mike on the same team. game over.

I can average practically 30ppg as 2nd option and win titles so we already know I can co exist with another dominant scorer. kawhi hasn't really proven that he can do that yet.

Jordan was the post entry like Shaq in the triangle. we both play the same offense and already know the schemes. I'm a primary ball handler and set up guy so we would have the best backcourt ever assembled.

with bird and kawhi they're both sort of the same position. bird could maybe play power forward but then you're taking away his playmaking. they wouldn't be as good defensively. and neither guy is known for going off for insane scoring numbers. odds are one of me or Mike would be on one of our 50 point paces every other game especially with single coverage.

oh yeah and like Gary says you know you can count on me and Mike to show up

kawhi might be going through a phase

HBK_Kliq_2
10-26-2021, 08:09 PM
lol me and Mike on the same team. game over.

I can average practically 30ppg as 2nd option and win titles so we already know I can co exist with another dominant scorer. kawhi hasn't really proven that he can do that yet.

Jordan was the post entry like Shaq in the triangle. we both play the same offense and already know the schemes. I'm a primary ball handler and set up guy so we would have the best backcourt ever assembled.

with bird and kawhi they're both sort of the same position. bird could maybe play power forward but then you're taking away his playmaking. they wouldn't be as good defensively. and neither guy is known for going off for insane scoring numbers. odds are one of me or Mike would be on one of our 50 point paces every other game especially with single coverage.

oh yeah and like Gary says you know you can count on me and Mike to show up

kawhi might be going through a phase

but you only proved you can play with big man scorers, you never proved you can play with wing\guard scorers.

bird would be the 2nd option and average something like 21 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds next to kawhi in todays game and they would never f'n lose. Put Kawhi at SG and Bird at SF if you have to do so.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-26-2021, 08:10 PM
The four best wing players of the last 40 years. Who would you rather have for 1 playoff run in this era? A duo of Kawhi/Bird or a duo of Jordan/Kobe?

Bird and Kawhi were not a product of Phil Jackson ball and own the best home record in a single season at 40-1, their teams are also more consistently elite in the regular season.

Depends how many games Kawhi sits

Let us discuss the 4 best wing players of the last 40 years. You're just a cuck who hops on super teams like durant, you stay out of it.

Bronbron23
10-26-2021, 08:16 PM

Hard to say tbh. Not sure how mj and kobe would of played together. Sometimes having 2 guys who are as alpha as those 2 shit may not work. I feel like bird and kawhi would of been a better fit play style wise but kawhi is weird af so who knows. I'm leaning towards bird and kawhi though.

Kobe_Bryant
10-26-2021, 09:12 PM
but you only proved you can play with big man scorers, you never proved you can play with wing\guard scorers.

bird would be the 2nd option and average something like 21 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds next to kawhi in todays game and they would never f'n lose. Put Kawhi at SG and Bird at SF if you have to do so.

so a jordan dump in to the post for a fade away or a double and kick out wont work. but a shaq dump in to the post for a jump hook or a double and kick out does

interesting. you didn't watch many old bulls games did you

jordan played the shaq role. the same role I converted to later in my career.

I would just go back to a top of the key kick out/slasher/iso role

I can do both

1987_Lakers
10-26-2021, 09:18 PM
Bird and Kawhi. Kobe is too similar to MJ playstyle wise, they wont cover for each other's weaknesses. Bird and Kawhi give u perfect versatility and shooting that MJ and Kobe don't.

Kobe_Bryant
10-26-2021, 09:23 PM
Bird and Kawhi. Kobe is too similar to MJ playstyle wise, they wont cover for each other's weaknesses. Bird and Kawhi give u perfect versatility and shooting that MJ and Kobe don't.

this couldn't be more false. I played a pippen type role in the triangle with more scoring off of isolation. but in the triangle I did that job. I brought the ball up and initiated the offense. played an inside/out style with Shaq on the block that would basically fit perfectly with jordan. he was on the low and high post like Shaq was

if we both only knew the post position in the triangle then ok but I'm not as one dimensional as jordan was

ImKobe
10-26-2021, 09:49 PM
MJ & Kobe, easily. Both can play within a system and play off-ball and get the most out of their teammates. Jordan is the GOAT and Kobe is the next closest thing so this is a no-brainer.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-26-2021, 10:00 PM
so a jordan dump in to the post for a fade away or a double and kick out wont work. but a shaq dump in to the post for a jump hook or a double and kick out does

interesting. you didn't watch many old bulls games did you

jordan played the shaq role. the same role I converted to later in my career.

I would just go back to a top of the key kick out/slasher/iso role

I can do both

But Jordan also likes to do a lot of the same things you do. Jordan doesn't just run deep into the paint like Shaq does. Jordan and Kobe operate around the free throw line and both like to bring the ball up.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-26-2021, 10:02 PM
MJ & Kobe, easily. Both can play within a system and play off-ball and get the most out of their teammates. Jordan is the GOAT and Kobe is the next closest thing so this is a no-brainer.

Bird 1984 and kawhi 2019 playoff runs are clearly better then anything Kobe ever did in playoffs and can hang with any Jordan run as well.

Also bird and kawhi teams are the only ones to go 40-1 at home

ImKobe
10-26-2021, 10:14 PM
Bird 1984 and kawhi 2019 playoff runs are clearly better then anything Kobe ever did in playoffs and can hang with any Jordan run as well.

Also bird and kawhi teams are the only ones to go 40-1 at home

No they're not and this argument is more about the two fitting together. Kawhi and Bird are not close to the talent of MJ & Kobe as a duo lmao and Kawhi only has one great PO run to his name and always gets injured and choked badly in the other PO run where he was healthy and a #1 option..

Leonard has one single healthy 30 ppg deep Playoff run to his name, Kobe led a team with a much worse supporting cast to 3 straight Finals and won B2B with 30/6/6 averages, that alone shits on Kawhi's PO career. Kawhi's 2019 run is on par with Kobe's '09/Bird's '84 ones but Kobe had 2 other title runs on that level and 2 more great Finals runs on top of that.

Out of the 4 players, Kobe's the only one to thrive and be able to still maintain his high-level production next to another ~30 ppg scorer. Kawhi's defense is on par with Kobe's and MJ's but Bird's is not, despite the DBPM numbers that don't really measure a player's impact on defense. Kobe and Jordan simply were far more consistent/durable than Kawhi & Bird.

ShawkFactory
10-26-2021, 10:16 PM
No they're not and this argument is more about the two fitting together. Kawhi and Bird are not close to the talent of MJ & Kobe as a duo lmao and Kawhi only has one great PO run to his name and always gets injured and choked badly in the other PO run where he was healthy and a #1 option..

Leonard has one single healthy 30 ppg deep Playoff run to his name, Kobe led a team with a much worse supporting cast to 3 straight Finals and won B2B with 30/6/6 averages, that alone shits on Kawhi's PO career. Kawhi's 2019 run is on par with Kobe's '09/Bird's '84 ones but Kobe had 2 other title runs on that level and 2 more great Finals runs on top of that.

Out of the 4 players, Kobe's the only one to thrive and be able to still maintain his high-level production next to another ~30 ppg scorer. Kawhi's defense is on par with Kobe's and MJ's but Bird's is not, despite the DBPM numbers that don't really measure a player's impact on defense. Kobe and Jordan simply were far more consistent/durable than Kawhi & Bird.

Bird absolutely would have thrived playing with a 30ppg guy. Or any guy for that matter.

Thenameless
10-27-2021, 01:22 AM
This one is very close. Toss a coin and be happy no matter the outcome.

I might lean slightly toward Bird and Leonard, because the 3 point shot means so much and I'm assuming the game is played under current rules/systems. If Bird had grown up in this era, Curry might not be considered the best shooter in the game.

LeCola
10-27-2021, 01:35 AM
Second best + top 30 (or 40) vs GOAT + top 10

1987_Lakers
10-27-2021, 01:43 AM
This one is very close. Toss a coin and be happy no matter the outcome.

I might lean slightly toward Bird and Leonard, because the 3 point shot means so much and I'm assuming the game is played under current rules/systems. If Bird had grown up in this era, Curry might not be considered the best shooter in the game.

I wouldn't go that far, nonetheless Bird would have been the perfect power forward in today's era.

SouBeachTalents
10-27-2021, 01:44 AM
Kawhi & Bird is as perfect a perimeter duo as you could have. Both are elite scorers and shooters, and both excel in areas that the other isn't as strong, Bird as the playmaker, Kawhi as the defender. Jordan & Kobe play almost exactly the same and they'd end up clashing over shots/alpha status.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-27-2021, 01:49 AM
Second best + top 30 (or 40) vs GOAT + top 10

Kawhi 2019 and bird 1984 are both better then any Kobe playoff run, so they are pretty much winning 2 on 1 pretty much.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-27-2021, 01:52 AM
I wouldn't go that far, nonetheless Bird would have been the perfect power forward in today's era.

Kawhi and bird have both separately led teams to 40-1 home records in 2016 and 1984 and have goat level title runs in 2019/84

That's domination in both playoffs and reg season that can challenge any player.

Axe
10-27-2021, 01:56 AM
Who blew a 3-1 lead better?

1987_Lakers
10-27-2021, 02:02 AM
Kawhi and bird have both separately led teams to 40-1 home records in 2016 and 1984 and have goat level title runs in 2019/84

That's domination in both playoffs and reg season that can challenge any player.

Wrong, Bird led them to a 40-1 home record in '86.

LeCola
10-27-2021, 02:05 AM
Kawhi 2019 and bird 1984 are both better then any Kobe playoff run, so they are pretty much winning 2 on 1 pretty much.

People used to compare Kobe and MJ for being GOAT.

No one does that for Kawhi, except you.

GrayGoat
10-27-2021, 02:20 AM
Kobe would shoot 6-24