PDA

View Full Version : Let's cut the BS about Curry

3ba11
10-29-2021, 12:31 PM
He's a regular season performer that can't score under pressure and frequently gets destroyed by other athletic guards or "dogs" like Ja or Kyrie.

You Curry fans claim he's superior but here's the facts - when you put Curry on the same court as Kyrie, Ja and others, he does NOT have an advantage - it's like "oh look, he isn't better"... Curry is just a regular season performer and infact inferior under pressure or when his peers are standing right next to him

Ultimately, since he's just a 3-point bomber, he lacks the pure scoring and shot-making skill that Kyrie, Ja and others have, along with athleticism.

Jasper
10-29-2021, 12:43 PM
Curry's weakness has been defense.
One of the ways he would try to make up for his deficiencies is to go into passing lanes and make steals.
Players got smart to this.
Last year he played a very much inside outside game , and was spectacular !!
(I was the only one on ISH that said before the season started last year he was going to win the scoring title)
Did Kyrie or JA win it ????

j3lademaster
10-29-2021, 12:54 PM
I agree he's a disappointing finals performer, outside of 17 and 18 where he had an overwhelmingly better team. He did ok in 2019 though it was mostly one good game.

3ba11
10-29-2021, 01:22 PM
I was hoping to get angry Curry stans itt instead of agreement so thread fail.. bad timing I guess right after he got his ass handed to him again

Spuddywebby
10-29-2021, 01:31 PM
I was hoping to get angry Curry stans itt instead of agreement so thread fail.. bad timing I guess right after he got his ass handed to him again

I don’t care about Curry but if you believe that he is only a 3 point shooter, than you are exposing yourself as a casual. He is terrific finishing around the rim and the fact that he isn’t athletic makes it even more impressive than anything Ja does. Also reducing his goat shooting skills to “just a 3 point bomber” makes it sound like you think he’s the same as Duncan Robinson.

Honestly, I don’t understand your “schtick”. You’ll write 1000’s of pages on Jordan but then reduce everyone else to a one sentence description. It’s ok to concede that there are other good basketball players, it doesn’t change what Jordan did.

hateraid
10-29-2021, 01:36 PM
I don’t care about Curry but if you believe that he is only a 3 point shooter, than you are exposing yourself as a casual. He is terrific finishing around the rim and the fact that he isn’t athletic makes it even more impressive than anything Ja does. Also reducing his goat shooting skills to “just a 3 point bomber” makes it sound like you think he’s the same as Duncan Robinson.

Honestly, I don’t understand your “schtick”. You’ll write 1000’s of pages on Jordan but then reduce everyone else to a one sentence description. It’s ok to concede that there are other good basketball players, it doesn’t change what Jordan did.

Let him keep posting. It's a great reminder of how little he watches basketball

8Ball
10-29-2021, 01:52 PM
Curry won 73 games in 2016.

Jordan only won 72.

Phoenix
10-29-2021, 02:07 PM

There-in lies the ticket then. Let's just all agree with you so you can shut the fukk up. Thanks for the tip OP.

tontoz
10-29-2021, 02:09 PM
In the last game of the regular season last year GS faced Memphis to determine which team would get the 8th seed.

Steph outscored Morant 46-16. :oldlol:

For his career in the playoffs Steph averages 26.5 ppg with a TS of 61%.

OP molests farm animals.

AirBonner
10-29-2021, 02:25 PM
In the last game of the regular season last year GS faced Memphis to determine which team would get the 8th seed.

Steph outscored Morant 46-16. :oldlol:

For his career in the playoffs Steph averages 26.5 ppg with a TS of 61%.

OP molests farm animals.
Lol harsh realities

HBK_Kliq_2
10-29-2021, 03:12 PM
He's only overrated when you say he's better then over 6"5 two way beasts like Jordan, Kawhi, Giannis.

He's the Michael Jordan of guys under 6"4

Lebron23
10-29-2021, 03:13 PM
OP is a fakkit

10-29-2021, 03:14 PM
Curry would score 0 ppg in the 90s, or maybe like 5 on pity freethrows

warriorfan
10-29-2021, 04:15 PM
Op fuming

3ba11
10-29-2021, 04:49 PM

He isn't "terrific" finishing around the rim

"Terrific" is a word that might be used to describe my local paperboy making a few layups in a rec league game.. The reality is that Curry is nothing at the rim compared to Kyrie or Ja, nor is he as pure a scorer

Btw, I'm reducing other players to soundbites because that's what everyone does with Jordan - his nuanced, illustrious career is reduced to the switch-hands shot and the shot over Ehlo.. People say he's goat without understanding why (the only goat athlete that was a goat shooter on either 2-pointers or 3-pointers, aka the only athlete-shooter in history... and he wasn't a ball-dominator or center that needs super-teams to win - he has 6 rings like Dirk, Hakeem, 19' Kawhi or 09' Kobe who didn't have super-teams (no 3rd star) or 1b's (no equal-scoring partner).

Phoenix
10-29-2021, 04:54 PM
He isn't "terrific" finishing around the rim

"Terrific" is a word that might be used to describe my local paperboy making a few layups in a rec league game.. The reality is that Curry is nothing at the rim compared to Kyrie or Ja, nor is he as pure a scorer

Btw, I'm reducing other players to soundbites because that's what everyone does with Jordan - his nuanced, illustrious career is reduced to the switch-hands shot and the shot over Ehlo.. People say he's goat without understanding why (the only goat athlete that was a goat shooter on either 2-pointers or 3-pointers, aka the only athlete-shooter in history... and he wasn't a ball-dominator or center that needs super-teams to win - he has 6 rings like Dirk, Hakeem, 19' Kawhi or 09' Kobe who didn't have super-teams (no 3rd star) or 1b's (no equal-scoring partner).

Agreed. Everyone else agree?

Thenameless
10-29-2021, 05:04 PM
Ultimately, since he's just a 3-point bomber, he lacks the pure scoring and shot-making skill that Kyrie, Ja and others have, along with athleticism.

Pure 3-point shooters only like Steve Kerr, Kyle Korver, Jason Kapono, and J.J. Redick don't win the NBA scoring title. And I'm not a Curry fan.

3ba11
10-29-2021, 05:06 PM
Pure 3-point shooters only like Steve Kerr, Kyle Korver, Jason Kapono, and J.J. Redick don't win the NBA scoring title. And I'm not a Curry fan.

There's levels obviously - he has a few more wrinkles in his game then they do but he's still mostly a 3-point shooter that needs to be open, which hurts him in the clutch or against the top comp compared to pure scorers like Kyrie that EXPECT and INVITE a contest on any shot...... because they can BALL - they aren't primarily 3-point shooters or a rich man's Kerr

BigShotBob
10-29-2021, 05:32 PM
He needs to operate in the mid-range more when the game gets tight and to finish more often. He makes the game too hard for himself when his shot isn't falling and teams are loading up on him

Spuddywebby
10-29-2021, 05:54 PM
There's levels obviously - he has a few more wrinkles in his game then they do but he's still mostly a 3-point shooter that needs to be open, which hurts him in the clutch or against the top comp compared to pure scorers like Kyrie that EXPECT and INVITE a contest on any shot...... because they can BALL - they aren't primarily 3-point shooters or a rich man's Kerr

I can’t believe I’m getting caught up in this but Hellen Keller could tell you that Curry does not need to be open to shoot 3’s. He probably has the need for the smallest “window” of any person that has ever shot a basketball. It’s why teams give him zero space almost from the minute he crosses the half court line. It’s one of the things that makes him so much more than just a good shooter, he’ll be double teamed, dribble out/around it, turn and put up a 3 with 2-4 hands in his face and drain it. From 25-27 feet. I know you understand the incredible benefit a player that can cause that kind is chaos brings to the game, I just don’t understand why it bothers you.

Keep in mind I’m an old man Knicks fan but I have no problem giving Jordan his due. I lived though all the 90’s series of Chicago/NY, saw many of the games in person. I believe Jordan is the GOAT, but I have no issue with someone who thinks Lebron , they are game changing players. But Jordan/Lebron/Kobe, they do their damage from the free throw line in. There is nothing wrong with that, they have the bodies and athleticism for that kind of style of play. In Jordan’s time obviously the 3 pointer wasnt the weapon that it is now but I’m sure if it was he wouldve made himself a great 3 point shooter but Curry has literally changed the way the game is played. When you get double teamed 25-27 feet from the basket, that creates incredible chaos for the defense and opens up easy opportunities for the offense.

Imagine the 90’s Knicks/Bulls games with Jordan getting double teamed 25 feet from the basket. He’d break the double and in two dribbles you’d be playing 5 vs 3. Jordan would averaged 40 points and 15 assist and Luc Longley would have averaged 30 points a game.

3ba11
10-29-2021, 06:08 PM
I can’t believe I’m getting caught up in this but Hellen Keller could tell you that Curry does not need to be open to shoot 3’s. He probably has the need for the smallest “window” of any person that has ever shot a basketball. It’s why teams give him zero space almost from the minute he crosses the half court line. It’s one of the things that makes him so much more than just a good shooter, he’ll be double teamed, dribble out/around it, turn and put up a 3 with 2-4 hands in his face and drain it. From 25-27 feet. I know you understand the incredible benefit a player that can cause that kind is chaos brings to the game, I just don’t understand why it bothers you.

Keep in mind I’m an old man Knicks fan but I have no problem giving Jordan his due. I lived though all the 90’s series of Chicago/NY, saw many of the games in person. I believe Jordan is the GOAT, but I have no issue with someone who thinks Lebron , they are game changing players. But Jordan/Lebron/Kobe, they do their damage from the free throw line in. There is nothing wrong with that, they have the bodies and athleticism for that kind of style of play. In Jordan’s time obviously the 3 pointer wasnt the weapon that it is now but I’m sure if it was he wouldve made himself a great 3 point shooter but Curry has literally changed the way the game is played. When you get double teamed 25-27 feet from the basket, that creates incredible chaos for the defense and opens up easy opportunities for the offense.

Imagine the 90’s Knicks/Bulls games with Jordan getting double teamed 25 feet from the basket. He’d break the double and in two dribbles you’d be playing 5 vs 3. Jordan would averaged 40 points and 15 assist and Luc Longley would have averaged 30 points a game.

Fortunately, the NBA tracks the motions of every NBA player, and their tracking data shows that 70% of Curry's threes are considered "open" (4-6 feet from the closest defender) or "wide open" (6+ feet) - the league average is 85% so Curry is better than average but the nature of threes (distance) still requires that most are open..

Since Curry is mostly a 3-point shooter that needs to be open, he's inferior in the clutch or against the top comp compared to pure scorers like Kyrie that EXPECT and INVITE a contest on any shot...... because they can BALL - they aren't primarily 3-point shooters that can be shut down by simply staying close to them

Btw, MJ was doubled far more than Curry and often ,20-30 feet from the basket - see the 93' Finals when the Suns doubled Jordan 25+ feet away before he drove and knocked Barkley over... then they doubled him in the backcourt before the Paxson shot

Spuddywebby
10-29-2021, 06:28 PM
Fortunately, the NBA tracks the motions of every NBA player, and their tracking data shows that 70% of Curry's threes are considered "open" (4-6 feet from the closest defender) or "wide open" (6+ feet) - the league average is 85% so Curry is better than average but the nature of threes (distance) still requires that most are open..

Since Curry is mostly a 3-point shooter that needs to be open, he's inferior in the clutch or against the top comp compared to pure scorers like Kyrie that EXPECT and INVITE a contest on any shot...... because they can BALL - they aren't primarily 3-point shooters that can be shut down by simply staying close to them

Btw, MJ was doubled far more than Curry and often ,20-30 feet from the basket - see the 93' Finals when the Suns doubled Jordan 25+ feet away before he drove and knocked Barkley over... then they doubled him in the backcourt before the Paxson shot

The more you hype up Kyrie the more I’m suspecting you don’t watch a lot of games. Kyrie is a mental midget that has never won anything as the man. Cleveland was awful with him until Lebron went back. Boston didn’t miss a step when he got injured.

SouBeachTalents
10-29-2021, 06:39 PM
The more you hype up Kyrie the more I’m suspecting you don’t watch a lot of games. Kyrie is a mental midget that has never won anything as the man. Cleveland was awful with him until Lebron went back. Boston didn’t miss a step when he got injured.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXQbMJDUkAANR8g.jpg

Kobe_Bryant
10-29-2021, 06:42 PM
He's a regular season performer that can't score under pressure

been saying this forever and nobody believed me

3ba11
10-29-2021, 06:55 PM

The 2015 Cavs fell short, but the difference-maker Kyrie put them over the top in 16' with his closing and being equal-scoring partner to Lebron (assassin-style closer).

Similarly, the 2018 Celtics achieved their preseason projection without Kyrie (ECF), so they surely would've made the Finals with him - Kyrie's arrival had initially turned the Celtics into the league juggernaut before he got hurt... Unfortunately, Hayward's return caused a 1-year drop to Tatum/Brown across the board in 2019
(PER, BPM, WS/48, VORP), before they ascended to All-NBA in 2020 to restore order.

Accordingly, Kyrie was the difference-maker in Cleveland and Boston, while also leading the 2021 Nets to record victory over Giannis (2-0 lead) before succumbing to another injury... So the historical record shows that Kyrie was the difference between champion and non-champion for 3 teams (Cavs, Celtics, Nets).

SouBeachTalents
10-29-2021, 07:07 PM
The 2015 Cavs fell short, but the difference-maker Kyrie put them over the top in 16' with his closing and being equal-scoring partner to Lebron (assassin-style closer).

Similarly, the 2018 Celtics achieved their preseason projection without Kyrie (ECF), so they surely would've made the Finals with him - Kyrie's arrival had initially turned the Celtics into the league juggernaut before he got hurt... Unfortunately, Hayward's return caused a 1-year drop to Tatum/Brown across the board in 2019
(PER, BPM, WS/48, VORP), before they ascended to All-NBA in 2020 to restore order.

Ultimately, Kyrie was the difference-maker in Cleveland and Boston, while also leading the 2021 Nets to record victory over Giannis (2-0 lead) before succumbing to another injury... So the historical record shows that Kyrie was the difference between champion and non-champion for 3 teams (Cavs, Celtics, Nets).
2017 Cavs with Kyrie: 51 wins and made the Finals
2018 Cavs without Kyrie: 50 wins and made the Finals

2017 Celtics without Kyrie: 53 wins and made the ECF
2018 Celtics
with Kyrie: 68% win rate
without Kyrie: 64% win rate and made it to Game 7 of the ECF
2019 Celtics with Kyrie: 49 wins and destroyed in the 2nd round
2020 Celtics without Kyrie: 48 wins in 10 less games, 55 win pace and made the ECF

Seems he's not quite the difference maker you make him out to be

tontoz
10-29-2021, 07:12 PM
Seriously the Cavs had the worst record in the league from the time Kyrie was drafted until LeBron joined him.

People thought LeBron declared himself the best ever because he came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat a 73 win team in the finals. In reality he declared himself the best ever for winning a title with Kyrie as his second option.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-29-2021, 07:13 PM

Accordingly, Kyrie was the difference-maker in Cleveland and Boston, while also leading the 2021 Nets to record victory over Giannis (2-0 lead) before succumbing to another injury... So the historical record shows that Kyrie was the difference between champion and non-champion for 3 teams (Cavs, Celtics, Nets).

Also kyrie played more minutes then harden or Durant last season and had the nets at a 2nd seed.

This season no kyrie and they can barely win a game. Celtics also suck the last season and now a days.

3ba11
10-29-2021, 07:17 PM
2017 Cavs with Kyrie: 51 wins and made the Finals - indictment on Lebron for only winning 51 with Kyrie and underperforming offense

2018 Cavs without Kyrie: 50 wins and made the Finals - completely expected with excellent 2-star, veteran champion team (best 2nd option in conference)

2018 Celtics
with Kyrie: 68% win rate
without Kyrie: 64% win rate and made it to Game 7 of the ECF - YES, BETTER WITH KYRIE, AKA THEY ONLY MATCHED THE PRESEASON PROJECTION WITHOUT KYRIE (ECF) - KYRIE PUTS THEM OVER TOP IN ECF GAME 7 VS GOAT COMP BASED ON HISTORICAL PRECEDENT OF 2016..

2019 Celtics with Kyrie: 49 wins and destroyed in the 2nd round - Hayward's return caused a 1-year drop to Tatum/Brown across the board in 2019

2020 Celtics without Kyrie: 48 wins in 10 less games, 55 win pace and made the ECF - 2020 Celtics rebounded from the cratering that Hayward's return caused by Tatum/, Brown becoming All-NBA in 2020

Fixed

GrayGoat
10-29-2021, 07:19 PM
3ball sees Curry as a threat

3ba11
10-29-2021, 07:21 PM

Last year, Curry had 4 teammates that matched or exceeded rookie Pippen (Draymond, Wiggins, Wiseman, Oubre), yet Curry was lottery while 88' MJ got the 3 seed

Remember - In 2005, Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes made the 2nd Round, but then Lebron stole Hughes to beat Arenas in 2006. So Lebron almost always had better casts than his Eastern opponents.. He infact failed to carry lottery casts (teams that were lottery the prior year) to low seeds in 04', 05', or 19', and therefore only had high seeds in the playoffs (good casts relative to conference). So he never carried "bums" or low seeds in the playoffs like MJ or other stars did - Lebron infact got 3 years to develop his team into a favored high seed before entering the 06' Playoffs, while MJ was thrown into the playoffs in Year 1 and forced to carry 8 seeds..

HBK_Kliq_2
10-29-2021, 07:24 PM
Seriously the Cavs had the worst record in the league from the time Kyrie was drafted until LeBron joined him.

People thought LeBron declared himself the best ever because he came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat a 73 win team in the finals. In reality he declared himself the best ever for winning a title with Kyrie as his second option.

Kyrie was the vorp leader of the #1 offense of all time last season

GrayGoat
10-29-2021, 07:26 PM
Last year, Curry had 4 teammates that matched or exceeded rookie Pippen (Draymond, Wiggins, Wiseman, Oubre), yet Curry was lottery while 88' MJ got the 3 seed
So Curry elevates teammates better? Got it. Rookie Pippen? You are stretching it kid. Curry got to the playoffs essentially with an 86 bulls-like roster. Got more wins out of them too. Curry wishes he could make the playoffs with a 30win team

3ba11
10-29-2021, 07:29 PM
So Curry elevates teammates better? Got it. Rookie Pippen? You are stretching it kid. Curry got to the playoffs essentially with an 86 bulls-like roster. Got more wins out of them too. Curry wishes he could make the playoffs with a 30win team

Rookie Pippen was an 8 ppg bench-warmer and complete trash

HOF Dray and 20 ppg Wiggins are easily superior, while Wiseman/Oubre are at least equal or better (the stats say better)

SouBeachTalents
10-29-2021, 07:34 PM
Rookie Pippen was an 8 ppg bench-warmer and complete trash

HOF Dray and 20 ppg Wiggins are easily superior, while Wiseman/Oubre are at least equal or better (the stats say better)
The stats also say LeBron's better than all but a handful of players and he's not even in your top 10.

3ba11
10-29-2021, 07:41 PM
The stats also say LeBron's better than all but a handful of players and he's not even in your top 10.

How do we know that Lebron isn't just a taller version of the same career-losing, ball-dominator skillset like CP3, Nash, Westbrook, Harden, etc - these guys all had tons of chances and lost just like Lebron before "the decision"

So we don't know if Lebron can win without super-teams as the clear-cut top producer

He certainly lacks the skills of guys that did (Kawhi,. MJ, Kobe, etc)

SouBeachTalents
10-29-2021, 07:45 PM
How do we know that Lebron isn't just a taller version of the same career-losing, ball-dominator skillset like CP3, Nash, Westbrook, Harden, etc - these guys all had tons of chances and lost just like Lebron before "the decision"

So we don't know if Lebron can win without super-teams as the clear-cut top producer

He certainly lacks the skills of guys that did (Kawhi,. MJ, Kobe, etc)
Kawhi & Jordan's teams won 55-60 games without them, while Kobe won with the best supporting cast in the league in '09 & '10

Baller789
10-29-2021, 07:53 PM
Kawhi & Jordan's teams won 55-60 games without them, while Kobe won with the best supporting cast in the league in '09 & '10

Why does Lebron keep stacking the deck tho?

tontoz
10-29-2021, 08:01 PM
Kyrie was the vorp leader of the #1 offense of all time last season

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/g195/tontoz/Screenshot_20211029-195923.jpg

SouBeachTalents
10-29-2021, 08:02 PM
Why does Lebron keep stacking the deck tho?
The other ones don't? Kawhi doesn't stack the deck :lol Jordan's team added All-NBA/All-Defensive/rebounding champ Rodman to a championship core. Kobe's team added Malone/Payton when he already had Shaq, then added Dwight/Nash when he already had Gasol. For all the threads people have made on these Lakers have X amount of HOF's, Jordan & Kobe were out there part of cores with 4 HOF's.

The truth is that championship teams always have lots of talent, and the greatest players of all time routinely played on very talented/stacked teams.

3ba11
10-29-2021, 08:02 PM

That's part of the reason they were superior

for example, Lowry isn't a lot of talent, so the kawhi-leas Raptors won via years of organic chemistry and developed brand of ball/strategy - otoh, teams start at square one without Lebron, because they were playing a simple way (1 ball-dominator) to satisfy his ball-dominant skillset (otherwise they stifle their best talent).

Compare that to Jordan, who agreed to sacrifice his opportunity to dominate the ball by agreeing to play in the triangle.. The triangle could win 55 games with basically anyone if run to perfection (like a 3-peat team), but it still needed bailouts throughout the game that were difficult because ball-domination wasn't allowed... So it won nothing for 50 years until it met the goat bailout artists needed to reach championship level (MJ/Kobe) - then it won 11 chips in 18 years.. MJ actually invented the quick-iso footwork needed to average a lot in the triangle, and Kobe copied it along with every other clutch player since (Dirk,. Pierce, KD, Kawhi, Booker)