PDA

View Full Version : Who was the better scorer: LeBron or Iverson?

ClipperRevival
11-02-2021, 11:12 PM
Reg season:

LeBron - 26.99 (and falling)
Iverson - 26.66

Playoffs:

LeBron - 28.69
Iverson - 29.73

Single game high:

LeBron - 61
Iverson - 60

Bankaii
11-02-2021, 11:16 PM
Can you make a couple more Lebron threads? You don’t make enough of them.

SouBeachTalents
11-02-2021, 11:26 PM
https://c.tenor.com/1EWb9d-a80cAAAAd/iverson-crossover.gif

Axe
11-02-2021, 11:54 PM
Ai did so in a somewhat weak era.

TheCorporation
11-02-2021, 11:58 PM

:lol

11-03-2021, 02:03 AM
Iverson controlled the game by taking an extraordinary amount of shot attempts, which controls the game better than anything else

People often criticise his inefficiency, but what they don't realise is that Iverson was a pure scorer who attracted defensive attention and freed up his teammates - people have to defend all those shots, which saps their energy and ability to respond on the other end, while Iverson's teams are always fresh and ready to go off - the best defense is a good offense, a tenet of any competition...

Also, Iverson was forced to average 33/5/6 in the 2001 Finals run, while no other teammate averaged more than 15... Iverson outscoring his teammates by 2.2x confirms that he carried them - Mutombo was a weak scorer, therefore a defensive role player, while McKie was an 8 ppg bum that Iverson elevated

Furthermore, 2001 Iverson faced tougher competition than 2007 LeBron to make the Finals - the Bucks were a 52-win team with superior talent to the Pistons, while the Raptors were much better than the .500 Nets

Then in the Finals Iverson faced Shaq/Kobe in the middle of a threepeat, while LeBron faced the tail end of the Spurs dynasty, yet despite that the 76ers won more games than the Cavaliers...

Accordingly, Iverson is better than LeBron - he is a far more active scorer, and his scoring style keeps the ball moving and contributes more to winning

Axe
11-03-2021, 02:05 AM
Iverson controlled the game by taking an extraordinary amount of shot attempts, which controls the game better than anything else

People often criticise his inefficiency, but what they don't realise is that Iverson was a pure scorer who attracted defensive attention and freed up his teammates - people have to defend all those shots, which saps their energy and ability to respond on the other end, while Iverson's teams are always fresh and ready to go off - the best defense is a good offense, a tenet of any competition...

Also, Iverson was forced to average 33/5/6 in the 2001 Finals run, while no other teammate averaged more than 15... Iverson outscoring his teammates by 2.2x confirms that he carried them - Mutombo was a weak scorer, therefore a defensive role player, while McKie was an 8 ppg bum that Iverson elevated

Furthermore, 2001 Iverson faced tougher competition than 2007 LeBron to make the Finals - the Bucks were a 52-win team with superior talent to the Pistons, while the Raptors were much better than the .500 Nets

Then in the Finals Iverson faced Shaq/Kobe in the middle of a threepeat, while LeBron faced the tail end of the Spurs dynasty, yet despite that the 76ers won more games than the Cavaliers...

Accordingly, Iverson is better than LeBron - he is a far more active scorer, and his scoring style keeps the ball moving and contributes more to winning
Nice copypasta attempt rt, bud. ;)

SATAN
11-03-2021, 02:08 AM

:oldlol:

Phoenix
11-03-2021, 06:05 AM
Gohan enters the chat

Gohan
11-03-2021, 06:30 AM
Is this a joke? Lebron isnt half the scorer of juggernaut iverson. Lebron can eat a d1ck. Iversons a top 10 player too so lebron has met his match. Lebron was better on defense though which is the only reason he is ranked higher

TheGoatest
11-03-2021, 06:47 AM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0420/9718/0826/products/The_Rifleman_Chuck_Person_Awn_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1 602520243

Nike D'Antoni
11-03-2022, 10:06 PM
Iverson was a great scorer, pound for pound the answer to this question is IVERSON. But ignoring that Lebron is a better scorer than Iverson because of his physical advantages and superior IQ and decision-making.

John8204
11-03-2022, 10:14 PM
Iverson for 10 seasons was incredible...one of the greatest of all-time up there with Wilt and Jordan.

But Lebron has longevity getting 30PPG in his 19th season is unprecedented

Phoenix
11-04-2022, 05:37 AM
How many shots does each take to get to their respective numbers? Do percentages play into this or we just looking at raw PPG numbers without further context?

warriorfan
11-04-2022, 06:42 AM
imagine if iverson played his entire career in the no-handchecking freedom of movement era…

game over.

John8204
11-04-2022, 06:53 AM
How many shots does each take to get to their respective numbers? Do percentages play into this or we just looking at raw PPG numbers without further context?

Only 30 players have done it...18 did it more than once only 5 players did it 4 or more times....

Iverson, Kareem, Jordan, West, Robertson

Phoenix
11-04-2022, 09:51 AM
Only 30 players have done it...18 did it more than once only 5 players did it 4 or more times....

Iverson, Kareem, Jordan, West, Robertson

Only 30 players have done what?

WhiteKyrie
11-04-2022, 12:08 PM

While I don’t think he’s the better player than LeBron, I definitely think at his peak Iversen is a better and more momentum shifting dominant scorer.

He wasn’t doing it with easy transition buckets either. It was dominating whatever man defender was placed on him. Usually in embarrassing fashion. That’s why he was so intimidating at his size. He’d cross you up or make you fall. Trying to guard him for nearly everyone was like trying to hold water in the palm of your hand.

Even as a 5 foot 11 shooting guard. Namely for some of the reasons you mentioned, but also the fact he was doing this in a much slower paced and more physical league on the perimeter. In fact it was during the most grind it out scoring climate we’ve seen in the NBA. From about 1995 to 2004.

And a lot of people are incorrect and I can tell they never saw Iverson, when they talk about his game. Contrary to popular belief, even though he had very nice handle and an amazing crossover, he wasn’t a ball dominant player, where he was just dribbling out the shot clock. In fact he was quite dynamic off the ball, with a high motor, constantly moving around and coming off screens, and even catching and shooting. A lost art in today’s basketball.

Phoenix
11-04-2022, 12:26 PM
While I don’t think he’s the better player than LeBron, I definitely think at his peak Iversen is a better and more momentum shifting dominant scorer.

He wasn’t doing it with easy transition buckets either. It was dominating whatever man defender was placed on him. Usually in embarrassing fashion. That’s why he was so intimidating at his size. He’d cross you up or make you fall. Trying to guard him for nearly everyone was like trying to hold water in the palm of your hand.

Even as a 5 foot 11 shooting guard. Namely for some of the reasons you mentioned, but also the fact he was doing this in a much slower paced and more physical league on the perimeter. In fact it was during the most grind it out scoring climate we’ve seen in the NBA. From about 1995 to 2004.

And a lot of people are incorrect and I can tell they never saw Iverson, when they talk about his game. Contrary to popular belief, even though he had very nice handle and an amazing crossover, he wasn’t a ball dominant player, where he was just dribbling out the shot clock. In fact he was quite dynamic off the ball, with a high motor, constantly moving around and coming off screens, and even catching and shooting. A lost art in today’s basketball.

This is true, for some reason many people have this impression that he was this dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble James Harden type, and I'm wondering if it's because they see his most famous highlight vs MJ and extrapolate that to the rest of his offensive game. As you said, he was a moving target who didn't allow the defense to set up in front of him as much as people think he did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZtw8F_bNq4&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYUZGy8S5k

Airupthere
11-04-2022, 12:42 PM
Iverson and there is no comparison. Lebron’s arsenal is so much more limited compared to AI’s that if you made hime 5’11, he’d be carson edwards with no shooting.

WhiteKyrie
11-04-2022, 01:18 PM
imagine if iverson played his entire career in the no-handchecking freedom of movement era…

game over.
Facts. Hell, his efficiency went up, in his early to mid 30s in 2006 and 2007 after those rule changes even though he was exiting his prime.

Hey Yo
11-04-2022, 01:33 PM

game over.

Like Curry has?

ShawkFactory
11-04-2022, 01:36 PM
Iverson and there is no comparison. Lebron’s arsenal is so much more limited compared to AI’s that if you made hime 5’11, he’d be carson edwards with no shooting.

I don't think the question was about their scoring arsenal or relative skills. Generally when you're 6'0 it's a requirement to have outrageous skills to be successful. Also when you're almost 100 pounds lighter it's obviously easier to maneuver yourself. When you consider only what you're considering then yes, there's no comparison.

But you're ignoring part of the story.

John8204
11-04-2022, 08:14 PM
Only 30 players have done what?

Finished a season with 30PPG

Wilt Chamberlain, James Harden, Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Allen Iverson, Rick Barry, Kobe Bryant, Elgin Baylor, Jerry West
Oscar Robertson, Tiny Archibald, Bernard King, Tracy McGrady, Moses Malone
George Gervin, Bob McAdoo, Russell Westbrook, Walt Bellamy, Bradley Beal
Jack Twymann, Bob Pettit, Pete Maravich, Karl Malone, Dominic Wilkins
Adrian Dantley, Joel Embiid, World B Free, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry

Smook A.
11-04-2022, 08:40 PM
Iverson is the best scorer ever for his height, but efficiency is also a huge part of being a great scorer and Iverson was not really efficient at all. Just because you have a bigger bag, or more moves in your arsenal, doesn't make you a better scorer. That being said, I think LeBron is easily a better scorer than AI. Always averaging 25-30 ppg every year on high efficiency. If LeBron focused mainly on scoring his whole career, he could've very much easily have had multiple seasons already averaging 30+ ppg.

Phoenix
11-05-2022, 06:22 AM
Finished a season with 30PPG

Wilt Chamberlain, James Harden, Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Allen Iverson, Rick Barry, Kobe Bryant, Elgin Baylor, Jerry West
Oscar Robertson, Tiny Archibald, Bernard King, Tracy McGrady, Moses Malone
George Gervin, Bob McAdoo, Russell Westbrook, Walt Bellamy, Bradley Beal
Jack Twymann, Bob Pettit, Pete Maravich, Karl Malone, Dominic Wilkins
Adrian Dantley, Joel Embiid, World B Free, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry

Ok but that doesn't address the question I asked ( wasn't the purpose of the OP either, just comparing PPG numbers) so I'll quote myself again:

Who's a 'better' scorer, Player A averaging 25ppg hitting 50% on 20 shots, or Player B averaging 27ppg hitting 40% on 25 shots? Let's remove the names Lebron and Iverson from the equation for a moment and just focus your reply on the numbers I presented. I don't see any real point in debating where Lebron is in the equation because this board has far too many stans and haters to have an objective conversation ( not referring to you to be clear, just in general). There are years where Lebron dropped 27-9ppg with 7-9 assists. Getting over this 30ppg barometer you bring up is literally an extra made shot and one less assist in some cases, but I digress....

Honestly, comparing 30ppg seasons for every player spread across 70 years of NBA basketball needs to take into account pace, rules, etc. Comparing a 30ppg scorer in 1960, 1980, 2000, and 2020 are all very different things, because they're very different leagues at each time point.

When it comes to Iverson, I tend to think he's become a bit underrated because of the way we now hyperfocus on advanced stats. If you moved his peak forward 5 years, his efficiency would have been better while maintaining the same volume (we know this because 31 year old Iverson averaged 33ppg on 45%, the end of his prime). That goes to show that when you play and the rules you're playing under are vital points of consideration in all these numbers. 'Better' though, which is what the OP is asking, needs varying context beyond just comparing PPG numbers in a vacuum. If it's just a question of scoring skillset then yeah, Iverson obviously had a more dynamic set of scoring skills than Lebron. But are we factoring in volume/efficiency here? What exactly is being asked by 'the better scorer' in this thread?

Phoenix
11-05-2022, 06:23 AM
Iverson is the best scorer ever for his height, but efficiency is also a huge part of being a great scorer and Iverson was not really efficient at all. Just because you have a bigger bag, or more moves in your arsenal, doesn't make you a better scorer. That being said, I think LeBron is easily a better scorer than AI. Always averaging 25-30 ppg every year on high efficiency. If LeBron focused mainly on scoring his whole career, he could've very much easily have had multiple seasons already averaging 30+ ppg.

This is the jist of what I'm trying to say in my posts.

Baller789
11-05-2022, 07:34 AM
Iverson would be the leading scorer on todays NBA.

Phoenix
11-05-2022, 07:49 AM
It should be noted that for much praise as Kevin Durant gets for his scoring prowess, he only has two 30ppg seasons, right now he's averaging 32ppg but we're barely 2 weeks into the season. More of a 'I'm just saying' observation....

Lebron23
11-05-2022, 09:22 AM
Allen Iverson is my favorite player of alll time. But LeBron is more efficient in the regular season, playoffs and nba finals.