PDA

View Full Version : Ja Morant was a better pick than Zion

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 03:12 PM
Stays healthy, gets his teams to the playoffs, currently averaging 27/5.5/7.5.

Zion was overhyped coming out of Duke because of his ridiculous physicality.

https://youtu.be/pgQYytHL0Ds

https://youtu.be/V4x9IjRjr-M

Bronbron23
11-04-2021, 03:16 PM
Stays healthy, gets his teams to the playoffs, currently averaging 27/5.5/7.5.

Zion was overhyped coming out of Duke because of his ridiculous physicality.

https://youtu.be/pgQYytHL0Ds

https://youtu.be/V4x9IjRjr-M

I think most knowledgeable fans of the game were saying this since day 1

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 03:17 PM
I think most knowledgeable fans of the game were saying this since day 1

Not people on this site or r/nba. I tried to say Zion was overhyped and got called a hater. He's not the next Lebron or future GOAT.

Bronbron23
11-04-2021, 03:27 PM
Not people on this site or r/nba. I tried to say Zion was overhyped and got called a hater. He's not the next Lebron or future GOAT.

I thought it was pretty split but maybe i'm not remembering right. I actually like zion. His potential is insane. He's just to damn big and he's only gonna get bigger. If you can't control your weight at 20 that's not a good sign

Akeem34TheDream
11-04-2021, 03:42 PM
It's so easy to talk with hindsight lol. I'd still prefer a healthy Zion.

Kblaze8855
11-04-2021, 03:53 PM

You are a hater and it has nothing to do with what Zion does or doesn’t do the next 15 years. Anyone who feels a need to talk shit about highly rated teenagers at every opportunity is a hater. I like some players…I don’t like others…none of those I don’t much like am I gonna talk down on at every turn and if I did I’d imagine it would be a non basketball issue. Karl Malone impregnating a child. Something like that. You’ve made multiple topics on it and appeared in many others with the same shit. It’s not immoral to hate. Just own it. And where possible confine it to people far enough into their careers to make serious long term evaluations.

Ive felt recent rookies would be better than people think or worse. That’s what the draft is. Everything thinking something different. Don’t see me shit talking any college aged guys over and over and over and over. Especially any who put up 26/7 on 60% shooting over 85 games.

There are obviously two paths for Zion. Hall of fame or injury bug what if. His basketball thus far would get him HOF status if it got no better but lasts a normal career.

He’s had people go from he’s gonna suck in the league(there was an anthony Bennett topic on the matter….) to his haters saying he’s not Lebron or the future GOAT.

Hes already been more productive than I figured was reasonable to assume he’d be in his prime rebounding aside.

Anyone so emotionally invested in talking about the failures of a HOF level performing 20 year old is a textbook hater.

There are people on that top 75 list who were in their primes with another member of that list at peak production and having seasons like the pelicans did last year. Only Zion was more productive than they were. There is nothing in his basketball playing to hate on by any standard but like….upper hall of fame. Not regular hall of fame. Guys like Melo, Nique, and plenty of non first ballot hall of fame types were years past where he is before they were anything he’s not already.

If you need to pull Hakeem, Lebron, Duncan, Shaq and so on types out to list as an unreachable goal to mock a guy it’s only because he’s already too good to use a lot of smaller names who still have all time status.

Unless he goes down with chronic injury which everyone on earth assumed was possible because he’s not a body type that supposed to exist….he’s gonna waltz into the hall of fame. Everyone as good as he’s been that early are either HOF level or got hurt.

That is only something to point and laugh at for a hater. Not a normal fan of the game. He was legit legendary performance wise at 20. The only people who could dispute that are those who don’t know what most legends actually were early in their careers before they were winning.

He’s at that point people are offended to hear such things then Google and see what players they came up hearing about actually did. He either falls off due to injury as is always possible or he’s at worst a low end hall of famer.

Basketball playing wise….he was low end legendary as a rookie. Maybe he’s Derrick Coleman or…Ralph Sampson. Doesn’t have the career people hoped due to injury. But like them…basketball wise? Low end HOF caliber from the jump.

Assisted by a soft ass league?

Sure. But that’s a different conversation.

HBK_Kliq_2
11-04-2021, 04:06 PM
I would say probably about equal when they actually play. The problem is Zion never plays, this is his 3rd year and he's totaled for a little over 80 games.

FultzNationRISE
11-04-2021, 04:13 PM
I would absolutely love to see Ja and Zion team up one day.

Not for basketball reasons, just purely for the reggae memes.

Bronbron23
11-04-2021, 04:40 PM
I would absolutely love to see Ja and Zion team up one day.

Not for basketball reasons, just purely for the reggae memes.:oldlol:

meat
11-04-2021, 05:12 PM
Wow Kblaze loves to type. I think most people gloss over his wall of blabber.

HylianNightmare
11-04-2021, 06:18 PM
Dudes waddle always stressed me out

Jasper
11-04-2021, 07:21 PM
someone needs to manage Zion as well as AD for the Lakers.
Food and correct exercise could make these guys HOF'ers ... that simple.

HunterSThompson
11-04-2021, 07:27 PM
ja relies just as much on his physical advantages as zion and the minute his speed and hops go he will look like Westbrick. his teams will never win and he will never be as good as his stats are.

as much as Lukas struggling so far you can just tell he has IT. he has all the tricks in the book and can put spins on the ball for shots and passes that only a handful of players in history had.

morant is raw as hell and looks awkward shooting and passing.

both him and zion will be nobodies in 5 or 6 years

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 07:28 PM
You are a hater and it has blah blah blah I like defending NBA players on a troll site

But I haven't been wrong concerning the hype that Zion was the next GOAT candidate. At this point, Morant is the better pick. Feel free to bump this post in 15 years if Zion ends up with a top 10 all-time career. He's not the first athlete to get overhyped before he even played at the professional level.

tontoz
11-04-2021, 07:32 PM
But I haven't been wrong concerning the hype that Zion was the next GOAT candidate. At this point, Morant is the better pick. Feel free to bump this post in 15 years if Zion ends up with a top 10 all-time career. He's not the first athlete to get overhyped before he even played at the professional level.

Why don't you post some of these stories talking about Zion being the next GOAT candidate. I must have missed them.

I don't seem to recall you talking much about Zion last year. I wonder why.

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 07:41 PM
Why don't you post some of these stories talking about Zion being the next GOAT candidate. I must have missed them.

I don't seem to recall you talking much about Zion last year. I wonder why.

They were all over r/nba and realgm. Maybe it was a bit more split on here. Some people compared him to Barkley and were told that Zion had better upside. It's funny. Wiggins was hyped too and then when he didn't pan out his defenders claimed he was never hyped. Of course Zion got generational hype and Wiggins was more like regular superstar hype.

As for last year, Zion was great offensively and lousy defensively, and decent as a rebounder but nothing special for his size and athleticism, same as his rookie year when he played. And the Pelicans did not make the playoffs.

tontoz
11-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Zion got hyped but I don't remember people putting him on the same level as LeBron. Barkley has never.been part of the GOAT conversation and he said himself Zion was more explosive than he was

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 07:54 PM
Zion got hyped but I don't remember people putting him on the same level as LeBron. Barkley has never.been part of the GOAT conversation and he said himself Zion was more explosive than he was

Dominique was also more explosive than Barkley. Being explosive matters very little for being all-time great. Tim Duncan, Magic, K. Malone and Bird are all-time greats. Everytime some athletic freak comes into the league with decent skill, people lose their minds and think they're going to revolutionize the sport.

But someone like Lebron, Curry or even Durant are once in a decade players. Tons of athletic specimens come and go. Luka is overall better than a healthy Zion.

tontoz
11-04-2021, 07:59 PM
Dominique was also more explosive than Barkley. Being explosive matters very little for being all-time great. Tim Duncan, Magic, K. Malone and Bird are all-time greats. Everytime some athletic freak comes into the league with decent skill, people lose their minds and think they're going to revolutionize the sport.

But someone like Lebron, Curry or even Durant are once in a decade players. Tons of athletic specimens come and go. Luka is overall better than a healthy Zion.

People were comparing him to Barkley who isn't even in the GOAT conversation.

And his college production was a big part of his hype. Why don't you go looking for other freshmen who had numbers comparable to Zion at Duke

2ball
11-04-2021, 08:01 PM

And his college production was a big part of his hype. Why don't you go looking for other freshmen who had numbers comparable to Zion at Duke

This. Most people felt his work ethic would translate. But it hasn’t.

Kblaze8855
11-04-2021, 08:01 PM

If you’re here to troll(as suggested by your modified quote) don’t act like you’re serious. You’re calling out someone who is a career 25-26 and 7 on 60% shooting at a point in life most legends were or would have been role players acting like it’s some big W to his haters(you) that he isn’t tracking to be Jordan. It’s an absolute nothing. It doesn’t matter how highly regarded a prospect nobody has been widely expected to be the GOAT since maybe….Kareem?

You’re arguing against nothing with nothing in your chamber to begin with but an injury bug even his biggest fans thought was possible because he’s 300 pounds and gets 40 inches off the ground.

Every highly regarded young player has some moron hating out the gate. People talking shit about Lonzo in his first preseason prefaced with “And don’t tell me to wait! His brother has sucked for years!”. Idiot made a “What happened to the Morant hype train” topic not two years in….after the second game of his career.

People like you(haters) start down these paths before dudes even play a game and obviously will never stop no matter what. If you will brag about his first 85 games having numbers much of the hall of fame never did in their career you obviously have decided nothing he actually does matters. If he actually ends up Jordan level you would just morph into his 3ball fully and talk about how he’s merely top 10.

Once you hit the point you’re at now there is no going back. I’ve never seen a players primary hater admit they were wrong all along even if they go from saying he won’t last 3 years to having the career Lebron did.

Haters don’t care what the object of their hate does. They hate anyway after moving the goalposts. You’re just Zions version.

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 08:02 PM

There's been tons of great college players. Plenty end up not being as great in the pros. I thought Glenn Robinson was the shit coming out of Purdue in the early 90s. But he was just mediocre as a pro. Duke isn't the NBA.

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 08:06 PM
If you’re here to troll(as suggested by your modified quote) don’t act like you’re serious. You’re calling out someone who is a career 25-26 and 7 on 60% shooting at a point in life most legends ...

I'm not calling out Zion. I'm calling out people like you who defend overhyping him. Is there an NBA player in this forum you won't go to ridiculous links to defend? The reason for the Lonzo hate is not Lonzo himself, it was his Dad and annoying fans acting like he was going to be better than the greatest shooter ever in Curry.

But you just don't get it.

tontoz
11-04-2021, 08:07 PM
There's been tons of great college players. Plenty end up not being as great in the pros. I thought Glenn Robinson was the shit coming out of Purdue in the early 90s. But he was just mediocre as a pro. Duke isn't the NBA.

So why don't you find one freshman with numbers comparable to Zion. Just one.

I won't hold my breath.

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 08:11 PM

I won't hold my breath.

Chris Jackson (Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf)

Kblaze8855
11-04-2021, 08:17 PM
I'm not calling out Zion. I'm calling out people like you who defend overhyping him. Is there an NBA player in this forum you won't go to ridiculous links to defend? The reason for the Lonzo hate is not Lonzo himself, it was his Dad and annoying fans acting like he was going to be better than the greatest shooter ever in Curry.

But you just don't get it.

Being a jackass to teenagers because 50 year old men they never met or even worse…their relatives….support them?

No. I absolutely do not get that.

And I hope I never do.

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 08:18 PM

I won't hold my breath.

Durant and Carmelo also. Melo won a championship. Bleacher Report ranks Zion's freshman season at #10 all-time.

I think Zion will have better career than Melo, provided he stays healthy enough.

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 08:19 PM
Being a jackass to teenagers because 50 year old men they never met or even worse…their relatives….support them?

No. I absolutely do not get that.

And I hope I never do.

Talking shit on a forum is being a jackass to professional athletes? Why, do they come here and read our posts and feel bad or something? Maybe Durant.

That's just ridiculous. Why would Lonzo or Zion give two shits what some random fans think?

tontoz
11-04-2021, 08:20 PM
Chris Jackson (Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf)

The fact that you had to go back over 30 years just proves what a monster season Zion had a Duke. It wasnt just hype, it was his production also.

Kblaze8855
11-04-2021, 08:26 PM
Talking shit on a forum is being a jackass to professional athletes? Why, do they come here and read our posts and feel bad or something? Maybe Durant.

That's just ridiculous. Why would Lonzo or Zion give two shits what some random fans think?

Why would you give a shit if someone’s grandma thinks he’s better than he is? No reason I can think of. Yet people credit their father for the balls being hated every day just as you blame random people who aren’t Zion for you needing to crusade against him when he’s ahead of the usual legend pace.

Just being a lame to me. I’m not talking shit on someone like 2 years removed from being in his moms house for being only low end legend tier so far. I’m just not that big of a douchebag. And I’m a….pretty good sized douche myself.

tontoz
11-04-2021, 08:26 PM
Durant and Carmelo also. Melo won a championship. Bleacher Report ranks Zion's freshman season at #10 all-time.

I think Zion will have better career than Melo, provided he stays healthy enough.

Carmelo shot over 20% worse from the field than Zion.

Marchesk
11-04-2021, 08:28 PM
Carmelo shot over 20% worse from the field than Zion.

But Syracuse won the title and Duke didn't. I don't really care whether Zion was better than Melo in college. Just responding to your challenge.

There were some people who thought Carmelo was the better pick than Lebron his rookie season. But Lebron lived up to they hype.

tontoz
11-04-2021, 08:32 PM
But Syracuse won the title and Duke didn't. I don't really care whether Zion was better than Melo in college. Just responding to your challenge.

There were some people who thought Carmelo was the better pick than Lebron his rookie season. But Lebron lived up to they hype.

You don't care about how good Zion was in college because it doesn't fit your narrative. Zions production in college was a big reason why he had so much hype. He wasn't hyped just because he was big an athletic.

Spurs m8
11-04-2021, 08:49 PM

Once again...most knowledgeable people

Which isn't most modern NBA fans..they just buy stupid hype

Axe
11-04-2021, 11:20 PM
I personally think morant is flashy. He has potential but he doesn't need to be a showboat or be like one with his wild vigor whenever he's playing. Otoh, it may be vague or premature to say but i have a feeling zion might end up being a bust if he doesn't overcome his condition rn. Kinda reminds me of shaq when he entered training camp in 03, except zion plays for a lottery team and is frequently sidelined by his own injuries.

eliteballer
11-05-2021, 01:04 PM
Zion needs be 250 max if he wants a long career.

Pip' N Rodman
11-05-2021, 01:12 PM
Zion needs be 250 max if he wants a long career.

So the same weight as RoidBe after he came back from Germany?