PDA

View Full Version : Kidd's plan with the Mavericks is beginning to show

90sgoat
11-16-2021, 09:20 AM
Kidd gets a lot of criticism, but I thought it was a good move to get him as a coach.

Not because he is a good X and O coach, Carlisle was better, but because Kidd is a winner, veteran and a developmental coach.

With last nights great win against the Nuggets, we're beginning to see what Kidd is about.

It begins with defense. Mavs play much better defense this season. The entire team is much grittier and finally seem like they have a defensive plan. Luka is also playing more active defense and I haven't caught him or anyone else playing matador defense.

Second, it's about running more fast breaks, particularly with your bigs like KP and Powell. KP has really been good at this.

Third, it's about playing inside-out. Kidd has both KP and Luka and even THJ posting up a lot then kicking out. This has been very good for KP, who is looking like KP from Knicks.

TheGoatest
11-16-2021, 09:22 AM
I don't know how anyone can play for this scumbag. I'm glad LeBron ditched him. Didn't he leave his wife and kids to fend for themselves?

GimmeThat
11-16-2021, 10:04 AM
the inside-out game is not gonna work, they'd have to devote a lot of time in practice over what they're doing already in order to be prepared for any shifts on defense. and if they don't end up executing it perfectly (doubt that they do, since a rotation on shooters probably hadn't even been established) they'll get blown wide open and look like deer in headlights.

ImKobe
11-16-2021, 10:28 AM
the inside-out game is not gonna work, they'd have to devote a lot of time in practice over what they're doing already in order to be prepared for any shifts on defense. and if they don't end up executing it perfectly (doubt that they do, since a rotation on shooters probably hadn't even been established) they'll get blown wide open and look like deer in headlights.

They always have Luka Ball to fall back on. Him and KP have better chemistry from what I've seen and they've improved their rebounding/defense which has won them some of these close games. It's a good sign that they have a winning record despite a horrible 3PT shooting start to the season. They would lose a bunch of these low-scoring games in previous seasons as they needed 110+ on most nights to win.

90sgoat
11-16-2021, 10:43 AM
They always have Luka Ball to fall back on. Him and KP have better chemistry from what I've seen and they've improved their rebounding/defense which has won them some of these close games. It's a good sign that they have a winning record despite a horrible 3PT shooting start to the season. They would lose a bunch of these low-scoring games in previous seasons as they needed 110+ on most nights to win.

Exactly.

Yesterday I feel was the best offensive game so far against a good opponent, though they had major injuries.

The difference is that Mavs are no longer getting straight bullied by physical teams.

hold this L
11-16-2021, 11:25 AM
Not sure how accurate that is, not seeing it yet. He's got KP playing much better but as a team, they don't look as good as their record if you watch them. Data backs it up as well. They're 6th in the NBA, but they're 19th in offensive rating, 16th in defensive rating, and 19th in net rating. That's a playin team. I don't see them doing anything more than a 5-6 game 1st round exit this upcoming season unless the team gets a lot better.

Blazers were the same team Mavs are this year, much better record compared what they likely are and it showed once the PS started.

FultzNationRISE
11-16-2021, 11:29 AM
Not sure how accurate that is, not seeing it yet. He's got KP playing much better but as a team, they don't look as good as their record if you watch them. Data backs it up as well. They're 6th in the NBA, but they're 19th in offensive rating, 16th in defensive rating, and 19th in net rating. That's a playin team. I don't see them doing anything more than a 5-6 game 1st round exit this upcoming season unless the team gets a lot better.

Blazers were the same team Mavs are this year, much better record compared what they likely are and it showed once the PS started.

Pretty much.

Theyre in a division with the Rockets, Spurs, and Pelicans. Most of their wins so far have come against that trio. Yeah they got a nice win against the Nuggets, but theyre still likely to lose a lot more than they win against good teams this year.

ImKobe
11-16-2021, 11:53 AM

Difference is that the Mavs have a potential top 10 ATG who gets better in the POs though. They didn't get trashed in the Playoffs, they played a healthy Clippers' squad close both times and Doncic put up ATG numbers despite all the great perimeter defenders on the other side. They're not good enough to beat a healthy Lakers/Warriors team in a series this season but they're right there with the rest of the WC teams.

tontoz
11-16-2021, 02:11 PM

There are two ways to look at it. Their losses have been double digits, 3 of them blowouts. So given the sample size you could make the argument that those games were anomolies.

You could also say that point differential is the best barometer of how good a team is and they are currently -.7. So in theory their record should start to converge with their point differential.

With a new coach i think we really need a bigger sample size to make any reliable forecast about how good they are.

GimmeThat
11-16-2021, 03:43 PM
the Mavs offensive/defensive skim should be built around rebounding. it'll be interesting to see where Luka stands, in comparison to Pippen