PDA

View Full Version : PG vs Clyde Drexler - who is better?

90sgoat
11-26-2021, 05:30 PM
PG is an interesting case to me as he seems to have really gotten better with age.

Which shouldn't surprise I suppose, but he was always a great talent, albeit with glaring weaknesses (dribbling, passing), that just never seemed to be able to take the next step.

The last couple seasons he plays at a high level, very veteran level, MVP contender level.

Reminds me of Clyde Drexler in a similar good defensive player, that can score, but probably won't win on their own.

Imo, PG would fit excellent with Embiid.

ImKobe
11-26-2021, 05:32 PM
Drexler because he led a team to the Finals as the best player and IMO played his best basketball as a #2 in 1995. PG needs a Finals run to be in the convo IMO. They're about equal skill-wise but PG needs to do more in the POs.

And yes, I'd LOVE to see PG with Embiid, but the Sixers would have to off-load Harris also.

ELITEpower23
11-30-2021, 03:08 AM
He's an interesting case to me as he seems to have really gotten better with age.

Which shouldn't surprise I suppose, but he was always a great talent, albeit with glaring weaknesses (dribbling, passing), that just never seemed to be able to take the next step.

The last couple seasons he plays at a high level, very veteran level, MVP contender level.

You literally just described Jordan :oldlol:

TheGoatest
11-30-2021, 04:13 AM
Paul George had an all-NBA 1st team while also being named to the all-defensive 1st team in an era with much tougher perimeter player competition. Drexler never had a season like that.
As far as team success goes (the one where he didn't ride Hakeem's coat tails), it isn't really more impressive than PG. The only difference is that George had the misfortune of running into LeBron James, the greatest player to ever live, playoff after playoff. If he hadn't, he would've made several NBA finals, like Drexler did, and might've even won a ring.

Kawhi's_Kliq_2
11-30-2021, 04:18 AM
Easily Clyde drexler.

Paul George sucks. He's a really good 3rd wheel only. Can barely maintain a .500 record this season and hasn't made the 2nd round without kawhi since 2014

Phoenix
11-30-2021, 08:30 AM
HBK/Kahwit_Klitt banned again. :oldlol:

90sgoat
11-30-2021, 11:56 AM
Paul George had an all-NBA 1st team while also being named to the all-defensive 1st team in an era with much tougher perimeter player competition. Drexler never had a season like that.
As far as team success goes (the one where he didn't ride Hakeem's coat tails), it isn't really more impressive than PG. The only difference is that George had the misfortune of running into LeBron James, the greatest player to ever live, playoff after playoff. If he hadn't, he would've made several NBA finals, like Drexler did, and might've even won a ring.

Well, I think PG ran into Lebron + refs, but you're right, Pacers def should have made at least 1 finals and yes, could possibly have won against Spurs.

dankok8
11-30-2021, 12:35 PM
The Pacers would have gotten creamed by the Spurs in 2013 and 2014. They had a really great defense but were terrible on offense. The Pacers were hovering between +3 and +4 in SRS so they were far from an elite team.

Anyways I'd go with Clyde who is more accomplished and a better player in general but George could actually make a run to overtake him. PG13's only problem is his perennial playoff struggles but in 2021 he turned that around and if that continues for a few more seasons he might pull ahead because I think I would take 2021 George over any version of Clyde.

L.Kizzle
11-30-2021, 12:42 PM
The Pacers would have gotten creamed by the Spurs in 2013 and 2014. They had a really great defense but were terrible on offense. The Pacers were hovering between +3 and +4 in SRS so they were far from an elite team.

Anyways I'd go with Clyde who is more accomplished and a better player in general but George could actually make a run to overtake him. PG13's only problem is his perennial playoff struggles but in 2021 he turned that around and if that continues for a few more seasons he might pull ahead because I think I would take 2021 George over any version of Clyde.
Where do you rank PG13 with other great small forward/wings of the past? 1980s onward.

McGrady
Carter
Pierce
Ray Allen
Reggie
Richmond
Mullin
Grant Hill
Nique
Dantley
English
Aguirre
Moncrief
Gervin

bizil
11-30-2021, 02:50 PM
Whether you consider PG a SG or SF, he's one of the top 10 MOST SKILLED ever at either spot you slot him in. I'm talking his scoring skillset, handles, passing, rebounding for his position,and defense as a package. At HIS BEST he's superstar caliber.

BUT in terms of the results, Clyde has the edge. From a technical-skill type of level, Clyde wasn't on PG's level. YET Glide was a bit better scorer, a better passer, and a better rebounder. And Clyde was an even more freakish athlete. Which is saying a lot cause PG is freakish athlete too.

And Clyde led two teams (who weren't stacked with perennial All Star type of talent) to two Finals. Just ran up against two of the top 10 teams of all time in the Bulls and Bad Boys. So I'll roll with Clyde on this one. More of a true superstar LONGER than PG. PG for me always hovered around All Star to superstar level. More of a top 15 player in the league type of guy. Clyde at his peak was more of a top 6-10 guy.

2much_knowledge
11-30-2021, 03:09 PM
Nice stuff bizil and dankok. Very well put.

PG is my current fave player but one thing i do know how to do is be unbiased.

This is a toss up. Skills and defense vs better passer and results.

I feel drexler showed more consistency at a high top 10 player longer but pg is on his way

pandiani17
11-30-2021, 03:18 PM
Whether you consider PG a SG or SF, he's one of the top 10 MOST SKILLED ever at either spot you slot him in. I'm talking his scoring skillset, handles, passing, rebounding for his position,and defense as a package. At HIS BEST he's superstar caliber.

BUT in terms of the results, Clyde has the edge. From a technical-skill type of level, Clyde wasn't on PG's level. YET Glide was a bit better scorer, a better passer, and a better rebounder. And Clyde was an even more freakish athlete. Which is saying a lot cause PG is freakish athlete too.

And Clyde led two teams (who weren't stacked with perennial All Star type of talent) to two Finals. Just ran up against two of the top 10 teams of all time in the Bulls and Bad Boys. So I'll roll with Clyde on this one. More of a true superstar LONGER than PG. PG for me always hovered around All Star to superstar level. More of a top 15 player in the league type of guy. Clyde at his peak was more of a top 6-10 guy.

Agree.:applause:

bizil
11-30-2021, 03:18 PM
Nice stuff bizil and dankok. Very well put.

PG is my current fave player but one thing i do know how to do is be unbiased.

This is a toss up. Skills and defense vs better passer and results.

I feel drexler showed more consistency at a high top 10 player longer but pg is on his way

PG at his ABSOLUTE BEST is the closest we would see to a mix of T Mac and Pippen. T Mac's size, athletic ability and offensive scoring skillset. Mixed with Pip's size, athletic ability, and defensive prowess.

Thing is we didn't that combo ENOUGH over the course of his career. For me, it's more about the offensive side of the court. He wasn't as good of a passer as T Mac or Pip. YET he's still a very good passing wing. AT HIS BEST, showed the great alpha dog scoring ability. Yet T Mac was even more CONSISTENT with his dominance scoring. And as great as PG is defensively, I would give Pip the edge.

But JUS SAYING THOUGH, PG at his best is pretty much GREAT at damn near everything. Passing being very good to go with the great scoring, defense, and rebounding for a wing. And his skill doing it is all time great among the wing players. Pretty much a GREAT EXAMPLE of a top 15 player WITH top 5-7 level talent. AND IN CERTAIN SEASONS,can be top 5-7 best in the league period.

dankok8
11-30-2021, 03:22 PM
Where do you rank PG13 with other great small forward/wings of the past? 1980s onward.

McGrady
Carter
Pierce
Ray Allen
Reggie
Richmond
Mullin
Grant Hill
Nique
Dantley
English
Aguirre
Moncrief
Gervin

Depends if career or peak. Career-wise I'd take him over Richmond, Hill and Aguirre. Peak-wise over Richmond, Mullin and Aguirre.

2much_knowledge
11-30-2021, 10:47 PM
PG at his ABSOLUTE BEST is the closest we would see to a mix of T Mac and Pippen. T Mac's size, athletic ability and offensive scoring skillset. Mixed with Pip's size, athletic ability, and defensive prowess.

Thing is we didn't that combo ENOUGH over the course of his career. For me, it's more about the offensive side of the court. He wasn't as good of a passer as T Mac or Pip. YET he's still a very good passing wing. AT HIS BEST, showed the great alpha dog scoring ability. Yet T Mac was even more CONSISTENT with his dominance scoring. And as great as PG is defensively, I would give Pip the edge.

But JUS SAYING THOUGH, PG at his best is pretty much GREAT at damn near everything. Passing being very good to go with the great scoring, defense, and rebounding for a wing. And his skill doing it is all time great among the wing players. Pretty much a GREAT EXAMPLE of a top 15 player WITH top 5-7 level talent. AND IN CERTAIN SEASONS,can be top 5-7 best in the league period.

He is also a bit like 2002 Vince pre injury. When he developed the 3s and mid range game along with the dunks. Do you remember Vince at the start of the 01 - 02 season?

iamgine
11-30-2021, 10:58 PM
To me Clyde was clearly better. At least for his era.