PDA

View Full Version : Lakers played LeBron at center for 3rd straight game; Vogel says he'll stick with it

Im Still Ballin
11-29-2021, 02:44 AM
:applause:

It's a great lineup; LeBron's big enough to make it work on defense.

What do you guys think?

For the third game running, the Lakers turned to a lineup with James at the center on Sunday and, after seeing enough of it in action on the court, head coach Frank Vogel said after Sunday’s win over the Pistons that it would be part of the team’s gameplan moving forward.

“We played a different second unit tonight,” Vogel said. “We played the second unit that basically closed the game out in Indiana with LeBron and Melo at the four, five. Call it a centerless lineup. There is a lot more space for Russ. Bron has a lot more space as a roller going to the basket, which was effective and we just have more switchability on the defensive side of the ball. I do think that’s something we’re going to grow and will be a part of our team going forward.”

Notably, as Vogel stated, a version of that lineup closed the game in Indiana when Anthony Davis was out due to illness. That lineup found success against the Pacers with James playing alongside Russell Westbrook, Carmelo Anthony, Wayne Ellington and Malik Monk and posting a net rating of +61.4.

On Sunday, Talen Horton-Tucker swapped in for Ellington at times with the remaining quartet posting a net rating of +57.1 in six minutes.

The trade-off for the Lakers in playing James at center will be one of Jordan and Howard being left as the odd man out. Against Detroit, it was Jordan who got the start and played 21 minutes, finishing with nine points and six rebounds while notching a plus-minus of +8 all while Howard received a DNP. Vogel, though, said that the two bigs will rotate on who gets the night off moving forward.

“I will say that Dwight didn’t play tonight,” Vogel said. “We made a decision that if we’re going to look at this smaller second unit that one of our centers would play, not both. It’s not always going to be DJ. Sometimes it’ll be Dwight. You could see Dwight in the starting lineup with DJ being the third center or whatnot. We’ll just continue to evaluate that going forward.”

For a Lakers team that has been long on questions and short on answers this season, though, finding a potential solution in James at center moving forward could be a new key in unlocking the offense, and potentially even the defense, in the coming weeks.

bladefd
11-29-2021, 02:52 AM
I don't know what to think. I would need to see this over more games before making a judgment on how it's working out. 2 games means nothing tbh especially when both teams are mediocre (Indiana then Pistons tonight).

I do like us going small though - dj should not be playing except to cover injuries and foul trouble. I would rather have Dwight be our only active center.

RRR3
11-29-2021, 02:52 AM
Just start LeBron at center. AD refuse to play it anyways so he can play PF

TheGoatest
11-29-2021, 03:25 AM
The only player in history to play substantial minutes at all 5 positions.
What a GOAT!! :applause: :rockon:

Im so nba'd out
11-29-2021, 03:48 AM
Just start LeBron at center. AD refuse to play it anyways so he can play PF

AD has no shame. He'd rather his sf play center than for him to have any physical contact at all during a game. There is no doubt in my mind if it came down to it and lebron dwight & deandre got hurt. AD would expect Westbrook to be the new starting center on the lakers :oldlol:.
"well who else is gonna play it Frank? He's all we got left"

No way ppl actually had this guy over embiid....ever!

Cyrus334
11-29-2021, 04:10 AM
Way too small of a sample size to start thinking it's some magic solving formula but it's certainly been effective when we've seen it in action. Obviously it can't be something they do for long stretches as Lebron (and AD) love playing as guards and dont wanna guard opposing team's centers.

TheCorporation
11-29-2021, 04:14 AM
The only player in history to play substantial minutes at all 5 positions.
What a GOAT!! :applause: :rockon:

Micku
11-29-2021, 04:18 AM
I don't know if it'll solve their problems, but it is a interesting change.

SATAN
11-29-2021, 05:53 AM
This isn't actually a new thing for the Lakers. I remember they had him playing C against Jokic of all people a season or two ago and he did pretty good.

Axe
11-29-2021, 05:57 AM
Vogel's last resort, before his election to the hot seat reaches the boiling point.

SATAN
11-29-2021, 05:58 AM
LeBron wouldn't have ducked Olajuwon.

Baller789
11-29-2021, 06:38 AM
Only in this weak center era could you regularly put a 6'8 guy at center and get away with it.

PP34Deuce
11-29-2021, 03:35 PM
Bron at PF/C works for every team not Nuggets, Jazz, Sixers, Clippers, and Bucks

It'll help them win space and more games. At this stage, Lebron is actually a better post defender 1-1 than AD. He doesn't fall for pump fakes and rarely can get bullied.

3ba11
11-29-2021, 03:39 PM
:applause:

It's a great lineup; LeBron's big enough to make it work on defense.

What do you guys think?

It's pure bullshit from Vogel because Lebron's hold-time was 7.8 minutes per game in the last 2 games, so he was still bringing the ball up most of the time and therefore not playing center.

So it's all smoke in mirrors... Ultimately, Lebron starts in the frontcourt but then becomes a 2nd point guard on the floor (2nd player with a PG hold-time).. These 2 point guard lineups give teammates less hold-time and assists than they get in traditional 1 point guard lineups, which results in low TEAM assists and a brand that struggles on the championship level.. Teammates are reduced to spot-up shooters, so the team constantly needs more help to offset the reduction.. James Worthy agrees (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAS5QQ3s40c&t=175s).