PDA

View Full Version : Biggest empty stat season of all time?

TheGoatest
11-30-2021, 05:10 AM
Individual player in question:

- 37.1 ppg
- 5.2 rpg
- 4.6 apg
- 2.9 spg
- 1.5 bpg
- 29.8 PER

Team of that player:

- A sub-.500 40-42 record
- Finished lower in the standings than a team whose best player by far and leading scorer by a substantial margin was a 18.8 ppg averaging Chuck Person
- Swept in the first round of the playoffs

Has anyone had such a massive disparity between personal stats and those stats amounting to dog fecal matter when converted into team success, and thereby have his stats tainted for life? One could say the 27.2 PER Kareem in 1975-76, but that shouldn't count against Kareem because he was a proven championship winner/Finals MVP at that point of his career. The only truly comparable one was Wilt in 1962-63.

Kawhi's_Kliq_2
11-30-2021, 05:25 AM
Lebrons 2009 playoffs are empty stats when he was a 1st seed and lost in the 2nd round to hedo turkolough hahahhaha

TheGoatest
11-30-2021, 05:36 AM
Lebrons 2009 playoffs are empty stats when he was a 1st seed and lost in the 2nd round to hedo turkolough hahahhaha

It is actually legitimately impressive how many grammatical, as well as factual mistakes you made in such a short post:

1. "Lebrons"? There were multiple LeBrons?
2. He didn't lose in the 2nd round (which BTW still would've been better than the player in my first post), he lost in the conference finals
3. You spelled Turkoglu/Türkoğlu wrong in several places.
4. Turkoglu wasn't even close to being the best player on the team you're referring to, and possibly as low as the 4th best player on the team.
5. You might've even spelled "Ha ha" wrong.

coastalmarker99
11-30-2021, 06:30 AM

- 37.1 ppg
- 5.2 rpg
- 4.6 apg
- 2.9 spg
- 1.5 bpg
- 29.8 PER

Team of that player:

- Finished lower in the standings than a team whose best player by far and leading scorer by a substantial margin was a 18.8 ppg averaging Chuck Person

Has anyone had such a massive disparity between personal stats and those stats amounting to dog fecal matter when converted into team success, and thereby have his stats tainted for life? One could say the 27.2 PER Kareem in 1975-76, but that shouldn't count against Kareem because he was a proven championship winner/Finals MVP at that point of his career. The only truly comparable one was Wilt in 1962-63.

In 1963 in which he was arguably saddled with the worst roster in NBA history, Wilt led the NBA in 15 of 22 statistical categories...including leading the league in scoring, rebounding, and setting a then-record FG% mark.

Keep that achievement in mind...as I will be bringing it up again. Despite his individual brilliance, that team went 31-49 (losing a ton of close games BTW.)

How bad was that roster? Chamberlain shot .52.8...and his teammates collectively shot .41.2.

Even more importantly, the very next season, his new coach, Alex Hannum, conducted a pre-season scrimmage, without Wilt, with that roster going up against draft picks and undrafted players. Guess which team won the game?

Also Wilt's Warriors teammates' FG%: from (10/24/1959-1/8/65): .39.1%

(Wilt shot .50.7)% in that same time span.

I'm positive no all-time great offensive force had worse overall support offensively- over an extended period of time- than Wilt did during his time on the Warriors.

He was also instructed/ordered by both McGuire and Feerick to score as much as possible/shoot basically every time down.

Even Hannum himself strongly encouraged it in 64' and 65'.

39.1 in a league where the other 7 (or 8) teams shoot about .435, over a 5.5-year span- is pretty atrocious.

Wilt had to totally carry those teams offensively and was counted on to do so by his (mostly, lousy) coaches for 80-82 games a year, 47+ minutes a game.

I believe it was Hannum who commented on Chamberlain's incredible '64 season, where he took one of the worst rosters in NBA history, to the Finals..."He has to play like Russell on the defensive end, and like Wilt on the offensive end."

getting_old
11-30-2021, 12:01 PM
Kevin Love's seasons that kept me king of my fantasy leagues.

i'm not sure what trade would have been tempting to let him go.

bless that man...

HoopsNY
11-30-2021, 01:50 PM
In 1963 in which he was arguably saddled with the worst roster in NBA history, Wilt led the NBA in 15 of 22 statistical categories...including leading the league in scoring, rebounding, and setting a then-record FG% mark.

Keep that achievement in mind...as I will be bringing it up again. Despite his individual brilliance, that team went 31-49 (losing a ton of close games BTW.)

How bad was that roster? Chamberlain shot .52.8...and his teammates collectively shot .41.2.

Even more importantly, the very next season, his new coach, Alex Hannum, conducted a pre-season scrimmage, without Wilt, with that roster going up against draft picks and undrafted players. Guess which team won the game?

Also Wilt's Warriors teammates' FG%: from (10/24/1959-1/8/65): .39.1%

(Wilt shot .50.7)% in that same time span.

I'm positive no all-time great offensive force had worse overall support offensively- over an extended period of time- than Wilt did during his time on the Warriors.

He was also instructed/ordered by both McGuire and Feerick to score as much as possible/shoot basically every time down.

Even Hannum himself strongly encouraged it in 64' and 65'.

39.1 in a league where the other 7 (or 8) teams shoot about .435, over a 5.5-year span- is pretty atrocious.

Wilt had to totally carry those teams offensively and was counted on to do so by his (mostly, lousy) coaches for 80-82 games a year, 47+ minutes a game.

I believe it was Hannum who commented on Chamberlain's incredible '64 season, where he took one of the worst rosters in NBA history, to the Finals..."He has to play like Russell on the defensive end, and like Wilt on the offensive end."

This post is why you're this forum's best poster.

hateraid
11-30-2021, 02:26 PM
It is actually legitimately impressive how many grammatical, as well as factual mistakes you made in such a short post:

2. He didn't lose in the 2nd round (which BTW still would've been better than the player in my first post), he lost in the conference finals
4. Turkoglu wasn't even close to being the best player on the team you're referring to, and possibly as low as the 4th best player on the team.

:lol
Top notch humor :applause:

RogueBorg
11-30-2021, 03:02 PM

OP, who cares if he typed Lebron's or Lebrons? you're so desperate that you've resorted to attacking someone's grammar. I feel bad for you but it's over, learn to deal with it or seek professional help.

hateraid
11-30-2021, 03:16 PM
OP, who cares if he typed Lebron's or Lebrons? you're so desperate that you've resorted to attacking someone's grammar. I feel bad for you but it's over, learn to deal with it or seek professional help.

You must be fun at parties

Sheesh

ELITEpower23
11-30-2021, 04:04 PM

It's over :oldlol:

TheGoatest
11-30-2021, 08:56 PM

Yes, the moron you're defending posted that LeBron was out of the playoffs an entire round earlier than he actually was and implied Hedo Turkoglu was the best player on the 2009 Magic, yet I'm the one who is desperate? Looks to me that your desperate ass would defend a pro-Jordan/anti-LeBron post no matter how factually incorrect it was.

2much_knowledge
11-30-2021, 10:50 PM
Op is jealous cause lebron could never ever score over 3,000 pts in a season. Only jordan and wilt

coastalmarker99
12-01-2021, 05:16 AM
Op is jealous cause lebron could never ever score over 3,000 pts in a season. Only jordan and wilt

Anyone that has played basketball knows the amount of endurance you have to have to score over 35 PPG for a season is insane.

Kawhi_Why_Not
12-01-2021, 06:22 AM
Anyone that has played basketball knows the amount of endurance you have to have to score over 35 PPG for a season is insane.

What about the endurance you have to have to score 732 points on 62% TS in a playoff run?

Phoenix
12-01-2021, 06:59 AM
What about the endurance you have to have to score 732 points on 62% TS in a playoff run?

Your last account made it to 11 posts. Think you'll break that with this one, HBK_KLIT?

72-10
12-01-2021, 02:30 PM
that looks like 86-87 Jordan, I'm surprised you'd think it's something from the free-data era

might be when Wilt set the rookie rebounding record in 59-60 since the league was not pre-eminent; I'd imagine the scorers padded his rebounding totals, some examples include there was no over-the-back fouls and they counted rebounds at the end of each period of play

could be one of LeBron's seasons FWIW

12-01-2021, 03:24 PM
IDK who that is, but it reminds me of 2008 Lebron:

Scoring champion
7 apg
29 PER
45 wins in a trash conference

beasted
12-01-2021, 04:20 PM
Stupid agenda threads are the absolute worst.

Define what are empty stats first then we can talk about what seasons best fit that criteria.

It's like you have explain to people how not to be a social delinquent who "can't talk normal".

RogueBorg
12-01-2021, 04:23 PM
You must be fun at parties

Sheesh

Your idea of fun at parties is correcting someone's grammar? Hateraid and his buddies showing up for the party

https://media3.giphy.com/media/Gahw0xYm65DR5vsPWz/giphy.gif

Baller789
12-01-2021, 10:58 PM
Your idea of fun at parties is correcting someone's grammar? Hateraid and his buddies showing up for the party

https://media3.giphy.com/media/Gahw0xYm65DR5vsPWz/giphy.gif

Pretty accurate. :roll:

kawhileonard2
12-02-2021, 12:51 AM
Vasileios Spanoulis

FIBA 2006 Basketball
http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/event/p/sid/3507/tid/376/_/2006_FIBA_World_Championship/schedule.html
http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/game/p/gid/A/grid/75/rid/5152/sid/3507/_/2006_FIBA_World_Championship/statistic.html

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?480740-Vasileios-Spanoulis-gt-gt-gt-Lebron-James
Outplayed Lebron in FIBA and caused America to get another bronze medal and then Greece got spanked in Gold medal final.:oldlol:

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/game/p/gid/A/grid/75/rid/5152/sid/3507/_/2006_FIBA_World_Championship/statistic.html

Overall this game: http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/game/p/gid/A/grid/75/rid/5152/sid/3507/_/2006_FIBA_World_Championship/statistic.html

Manny98
12-24-2021, 09:16 AM
2022 LeBron

Full Court
12-24-2021, 10:32 AM

- 37.1 ppg
- 5.2 rpg
- 4.6 apg
- 2.9 spg
- 1.5 bpg
- 29.8 PER

Team of that player:

It's definitely up there with the biggest empty stat season of all time.

What's impressive though is that the person with those stats didn't team hop to go ring chasing. He stuck with his team, built them up, and then won six championships for the team that drafted him. That's GOAT stuff right there.