PDA

View Full Version : The guy that dropped 50 on Shaq in College,averaged 29ppg,32ppg

HALLandOATES
12-04-2021, 07:34 PM
Hank Gathers

He did it on the Lsu twin towers

Stanley Roberts 7ft
Shaq 7’1

Why is he never mentioned as one of the best college players ever??

Only thing I can think of is he played for a smaller school, yet they did play bigger schools

just watched a doc on him on YouTube

1989 32ppg
1990 29ppg

Projected num 1 pick

To my horror the clip of him collapsing and dieing is on youtube

I always hear about Len Bias but never Hank…

pandiani17
12-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Good topic, OP. From what I've seen or heard, Hank Gathers was a guy who thrived in the run and gun system of the Loyola-Marymount Lions that played in a conference that was not that good. He had some incredible stats, but apparently they were due to playing in a offense that provided many opportunities for him and facing small schools that were not very good. He played in USC before and he had to transfer because he didn't get that much playing time. He was never projected as a Number 1 pick (if that was the case, there would be much more hype around him, like the mentioned Len Bias) but he was definitely going to get chosen in the first round. I think if he played in the league he would be the typical 90s hustle PF like PJ Brown or Charles Oakley, averaging 10 points and 10 rebounds per game. Let's see what other posters have to say about him.

Xiao Yao You
12-04-2021, 08:06 PM
Don't think he was even considered their best NBA prospect. Bo Kimble was. Was a good rebounder. Would have been more of a role player at best like the last poster said

HoopsNY
12-05-2021, 08:27 PM
Great post