PDA

View Full Version : Lebron doesn't have shooting "talent"

StrongLurk
12-05-2021, 10:55 AM
Surely he should be an elite shooter at this stage of his career right? Ima big Bron fan but idk how is still just an okay shooter after all this time. Only thing I an think of is that he just doesn't have shooting talent. Sure he makes difficult shots pretty often, but he just can't seem to master the fundamentals of shooting for some reason.

A guy like Kawhi legit became an elite three level scorer and he is not the natural prodigy that Lebron is. Other guys have as well.

Phoenix
12-05-2021, 10:57 AM
One thing I will say, and obviously if he makes the L we need to see how it translates....Bronny isn't the athlete his father is/was but he seems to have a more pure jumpshot? I haven't watched him much but caught some highlights and he looks like he has better mechanics.

outofstomach
12-05-2021, 10:59 AM
Surely he should be an elite shooter at this stage of his career right? Ima big Bron fan but idk how is still just an okay shooter after all this time. Only thing I an think of is that he just doesn't have shooting talent. Sure he makes difficult shots pretty often, but he just can't seem to master the fundamentals of shooting for some reason.

A guy like Kawhi legit became an elite three level scorer and he is not the natural prodigy that Lebron is. Other guys have as well.that’s what happens when you rely on your freak athleticism for most of your career for your scoring ability, it’s lebron’s basketball IQ that really separates him from other players imo

3ba11
12-05-2021, 11:22 AM
A guy like Kawhi legit became an elite three level scorer and he is not the natural prodigy that Lebron is. Other guys have as well.

And therein lies the rub... For Lebron to score a lot, the game must slow to a crawl and get watered down into a beginner format where Lebron has the ball and 4 guys stand around him - this usually doesn't beat the best teams regardless of talent-level, whereas Kawhi's three-level scoring ability allows the team to use better and more sophisticated strategy than Lebron's simple ball-domination does.. So Kawhi wins with less help and has higher team ceilings/Finals records.

ELITEpower23
12-05-2021, 12:32 PM
Not bad for the commanding leader in playoff scoring with the most playoff game wnners and three best rings ever.

3ba11
12-05-2021, 12:38 PM
Not bad for the commanding leader in playoff scoring with the most playoff game wnners and three best rings ever.

He extended his playoff runs (Finals streak) by forming super-teams in a conference that 1-star teams were winning, and his super-team formation occurred right before people were about to start viewing his non-winning as Westbrooking...

ELITEpower23
12-05-2021, 12:40 PM
He extended his playoff runs (Finals streak) by forming super-teams in a conference that 1-star teams were winning, and his super-team formation occurred right before people were about to start viewing his non-winning as Westbrooking...

What about just not losing in the 1s round three years straight :oldlol:

PP34Deuce
12-05-2021, 01:09 PM
I honestly think it's more to do with confidence. When lebron misses 2 3 jumpshots he gets less assertive and his form gets whack.

3ba11
12-05-2021, 01:21 PM
What about just not losing in the 1s round three years straight :oldlol:

Lebron would've had MORE points if his 9 seeds from 04', 05', and 19' were 8 seeds instead and went 1-9 against the 19' Warriors and 04' Pistons

Instead, that fool got 3 years to develop his team into a high seed before entering the 06' Playoffs with the east all-star center, his opponent's sidekick (a 22/5/5 all-defender acquisition), the future COY and top defenses.... aka HIGH SEEDS in a conference that 1-star teams were winning, while Jordan had rookie low seeds in a conference that required a super-team to win.

bison
12-05-2021, 01:56 PM
It’s been frustrating to watch ball movement freeze once it gets in lebrons hands where he’ll dribble in place throughout the whole shot clock then slowly revs up for one his patented brick threes. Like bro if you’re gonna do nothing with the ball then give it to Russ. Russ may drive himself into wall when he gets into the paint sometimes but at least he’s trying to make something happen

3ba11
12-05-2021, 01:58 PM
It’s been frustrating to watch ball movement freeze once it gets in lebrons hands where he’ll dribble in place throughout the whole shot clock then slowly revs up for one his patented brick threes. Like bro if you’re gonna do nothing with the ball then give it to Russ. Russ may drive himself into wall when he gets into the paint sometimes but at least he’s trying to make something happen

"Bad Boy Killer" and HOF James "no migraine" Worthy agrees with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAS5QQ3s40c&t=02m55s

StrongLurk
12-05-2021, 03:39 PM

Lebron is a great scorer, he is NOT a great shooter.

Part of his critics came from knowing that a guy like Kobe at least MAXIMIZED his potential, where Lebron has NOT maximized his potential despite being a top three GOAT.

Lebron never even got good at free throws...still an amazing basketball player though.

3ba11
12-05-2021, 05:07 PM
Lebron is a great scorer

Lebron isn't a great scorer because for him to have a high scoring game, the game must slow to a crawl and become a beginner format with Lebron dribbling/plodding along and 4 guys standing/watching.

This brand usually loses to the best teams regardless of cast..

Otoh, guys like Kawhi or Kobe had elite jumpshooting skill, so they could score while the team employed the best brand (ball movement), which yielded better team ceilings/Finals records without 3rd star teammates (super-teams) or 1b's (equal-scoring partners)

Kawhi_Why_Not
12-05-2021, 05:11 PM
He doesn't and you can usually tell when he's about to shoot, he has a predictable release. I'm usually yelling at the TV "he's going to shoot" and then he does in fact shoot.

If i was his height and guarding him, i would be blocking him every play on his jumpshots because their predictable.

bison
12-05-2021, 06:09 PM
He doesn't and you can usually tell when he's about to shoot, he has a predictable release. I'm usually yelling at the TV "he's going to shoot" and then he does in fact shoot.

If i was his height and guarding him, i would be blocking him every play on his jumpshots because their predictable.

It’s so predictable. And he always shoots from the same location. Once he gets within his spot I’ll say ‘here comes a 3’ and 80% of the time sure enough he lets it rip. What surprises me is despite how predictable it is he manages to get good looks all the time somehow.

3ba11
12-05-2021, 06:50 PM
NBA.com: Lebron didn't take any contested jumpers in 2019 or 2020 seasons

2019 Regular Season

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-25-2020/0pXaJU.gif

2020 Regular Season

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-25-2020/y33l5k.gif

2020 Playoffs

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-25-2020/vSfQ3r.gif

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/2544/shots-dash/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

^^^ What kind of bum avoids contested jumpers?... YMCA level

LeDefer, aka LeSecond Option took 12 contested jumpers for the entire 2019 and 2020 seasons... :yaohappy:... :roll:..

this beta brand was lottery in the West without AD

And the goat can't have sub-par jumpshooting skill and weak pure scoring ability because it doesn't translate over eras (the no-spacing eras had to take contested mid-range to average 30)

beasted
12-05-2021, 07:13 PM
It’s so predictable. And he always shoots from the same location. Once he gets within his spot I’ll say ‘here comes a 3’ and 80% of the time sure enough he lets it rip. What surprises me is despite how predictable it is he manages to get good looks all the time somehow.
Because he's not a good shooter. No need to press up a low efficiency shot and possibly give him 3 FTs.