PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Miller Gamewinner against the Suns (1997)

Reggie43
12-08-2021, 08:39 PM
https://youtu.be/UE8fZvOalvw

Mark Pope:

I was a fan at the end of the bench on that team. Coach was very much like, "Nobody is getting a free ride here, it doesn't matter how bad a player they are." He would sit me the whole game and it would be a close game and there would be seven seconds left and we had to get it inbounds to seal the game or get a game-winner and he would call me off the bench to inbound the ball. He was like, "Bro you're not going sit there and chill out. You're going to sit there and be nervous and see if you're going to come in to inbound the ball."

We were in Phoenix and the game was tied. There's a timeout (with two seconds remaining) and Larry Bird puts me back in the game. Reggie comes off a weird screen and ends up in the corner and I throw him the ball from the sideline. He shot fakes and dribbles and bangs the shot on the baseline. I run in and start jumping up and down and celebrating. Sure enough, I'm on SportsCenter like a real player. Like, "Reggie and I just won the game!"

I was the luckiest guy in the world to be on that team.

Loved how Larry Bird was putting pressure on the literal last guy on the bench who was also a rookie just to instill that mentality that you have to be prepared at all times regardless of your role on the team.

Kblaze8855
12-08-2021, 08:56 PM
I wish I could find my hard drive from like 2006. I had every nba action top 10 ever and hundreds of hours of random clips I’d recorded and people I traded with in the pre YouTube days recorded. I combed them from one year to confirm the box score and recap count I had that suggested he made 14 game winners one year. I don’t think I found proof of all 14 but I bet I had 10-11. I had a folder for such things. Random folders for shit like unathletic player poster dunks, shut down defense from usually lazy defenders, jumpers from people who couldn’t shoot.

I had more time on my hands then and I admit now that I used it….poorly. But I still wish I had all that back.

Id like to just dump it all online for the few people who would care.

Reggie43
12-08-2021, 09:39 PM
What I remember was watching an Nba Action episode that said he had 14 gamewinners in a single season. That season was probably on 95-96 or 96-97 where they ironically missed the playoffs. Tried searching for it but never saw the episode online or maybe I got it wrong and actually watched it on Inside stuff.