PDA

View Full Version : What if the Magic kept Webber in 1993 draft?

iamgine
12-12-2021, 11:43 AM
ORL had the 1st pick in the '92 & '93 draft. In '92 they selected Shaq. In '93 they traded Webber for Penny.

Shaq - Webber would've been quite a scary duo.

pandiani17
12-12-2021, 01:25 PM
ORL had the 1st pick in the '92 & '93 draft. In '92 they selected Shaq. In '93 they traded Webber for Penny.

Shaq - Webber would've been quite a scary duo.

It would be interesting to see. However, I think Penny worked out pretty well for them.

Kblaze8855
12-12-2021, 09:26 PM
Maybe they wouldn’t have been stupid enough to sign him to a 10+ year deal with a player option in like year 2 which allowed him to demand a trade like Webber did to Golden Stare.

PeroAntic
12-12-2021, 10:04 PM
It would be interesting to see. However, I think Penny worked out pretty well for them.

Given the injuries, not really.

Im Still Ballin
12-12-2021, 10:14 PM
All-time great big men pairing; would've been historically dominant in the paint. Chris Webber was routinely at the top of the league for points in the paint, with Shaq always being #1. In fact, Webber was #2 for points in the paint for 3 different years.

Jay-B
12-12-2021, 10:36 PM
As being a huge Weber and Michigan fan I was thrilled thinking that the Magic were about to have Shaq and Weber, unfortunately it didn’t happen, the Magic decided to trade for Penny which was pretty dumb and Penny never met expectations with injuries. I honestly think had Shaq and Weber played together they would of dominated and won a title.

bizil
12-13-2021, 04:35 PM
Shaq AND C-Webb MEANS a dynasty flat out! Would have been the best C-PF tandem peak wise. And on a GOAT level, could have went on to be the GOAT C-PF tandem. Webber's inside-outside versatility to go with his point power forward bag MEANT there would be enough spacing for him and Shaq to function just fine. When Shaq goes out the game, u can slide Webb to the center spot for some minutes. Plus Nick and 3-D would have THRIVED with the passing ability of Webb as well.

We NEVER got to see how great Penny could have been. With Webb, he was healthy LONG ENOUGH to see his peak potential. At his best, right with KG as the best blend of scoring-rebounding-passing among the PF's at that time. Hell Webb MAY HAVE GONE DOWN as the GOAT PF at one point in time IF Webb and Shaq had a long run together. Very good chance Shaq doesn't go to the Lakers if Webb is there. By that point, I'm thinking they would have have won a ring or two by 1996. Would have been harder for Shaq to leave a budding dynasty!

Round Mound
12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
The alley oops and passes from Webber to Shaq would have been insane. Webber was a great passing PF.

PeroAntic
12-14-2021, 12:21 PM
Shaq AND C-Webb MEANS a dynasty flat out! Would have been the best C-PF tandem peak wise. And on a GOAT level, could have went on to be the GOAT C-PF tandem. Webber's inside-outside versatility to go with his point power forward bag MEANT there would be enough spacing for him and Shaq to function just fine. When Shaq goes out the game, u can slide Webb to the center spot for some minutes. Plus Nick and 3-D would have THRIVED with the passing ability of Webb as well.

We NEVER got to see how great Penny could have been. With Webb, he was healthy LONG ENOUGH to see his peak potential. At his best, right with KG as the best blend of scoring-rebounding-passing among the PF's at that time. Hell Webb MAY HAVE GONE DOWN as the GOAT PF at one point in time IF Webb and Shaq had a long run together. Very good chance Shaq doesn't go to the Lakers if Webb is there. By that point, I'm thinking they would have have won a ring or two by 1996. Would have been harder for Shaq to leave a budding dynasty!

Can Shaq and Webber beat Jordan's Bulls? I don't think so... and Shaq was determined to go to the big market in LA anyway.

In hindsight obviously you take Webber because of Penny's injuries, but I'd take Penny over Webber based on potential.

Also, its hard to predict how the characters would mash. Shaq is very egotistical and Webber has also been shown to be pretty volatile, so it might be a recipe for disaster. Even a very happy go lucky kind of guy like Penny clashed with Shaq.

bizil
12-14-2021, 02:53 PM
Can Shaq and Webber beat Jordan's Bulls? I don't think so... and Shaq was determined to go to the big market in LA anyway.

In hindsight obviously you take Webber because of Penny's injuries, but I'd take Penny over Webber based on potential.

Also, its hard to predict how the characters would mash. Shaq is very egotistical and Webber has also been shown to be pretty volatile, so it might be a recipe for disaster. Even a very happy go lucky kind of guy like Penny clashed with Shaq.

That's why I stated earlier IF they had a long run together, it equals a dynasty. Bulls would have aged out at some point. Webb and Shaq would have been at the peak of their games at that point. Plus they may have got an early ring when MJ went to play baseball. The Dream would have had a lot on his plate having to battle Shaq AND C Webb.

IF you put a PF like a Webb or KG along with Shaq, that's AUTOMATICALLY a couple of rings. No team could handle that type of tandem. The Twin Towers in SA had a past prime David Robinson on that squad. People don't give Webb is JUST DUE for how revolutionary he and Derrick Coleman were. League had never seen a PF at that size with that blend of handles, athletic ability, passing, and scoring skillset. Coleman was the forerunner, but wasn't great long enough to really put a stamp on it. Webb was! What Barkley brought to the PF at 6'5, Webb started that for the brute force guys at 6'10.

Airupthere
12-14-2021, 02:56 PM
Then our view of CWebb would have been different. CWebb creates team culture and chemistry. He can move the ball well as a bigman. He has a good midrange game and can play pnr off any guard.

bizil
12-14-2021, 03:02 PM
Then our view of CWebb would have been different. CWebb creates team culture and chemistry. He can move the ball well as a bigman. He has a good midrange game and can play pnr off any guard.

BINGO!! Webber had the brute force associated with PF position. PLUS was a freak athlete at 6'10 250 pounds. And from there was SUPER SKILLED in terms of his handles, passing, and overall scoring skillset. And was a BEAST on the glass who won rebounding titles. Putting that along with Shaq would have been simply devastating!