PDA

View Full Version : Complete disregard?

Kblaze8855
12-22-2021, 10:37 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlawlessHatefulIberianmole-size_restricted.gif

I don’t know what else to call ^that.

Chuck was too stout. Country strong. Even guys like Shaq could bounce off him:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnitedInfiniteBettong-size_restricted.gif

Draymond vs Chuck with 1992 rules would be hilarious. 2021 rules…it wouldn’t be an individual thing. He’d have to be doubled off the ball a bit to prevent touches. Guarded one on one with todays spacing he’d shoot 78% inside the three point line and not need to be spoon fed like the 70% shooting bums out there doing nothing but dunking.

Hed probably shoot 8 threes a game at 29% the first year to level it off but inside 18 feet he’d just treat these stretch bigs like a mild nuisance and blow by any of the big bodies.

I might wanna see him play now more than anyone other than maybe bird who I’m sure would change some preconceived notions quickly.

Full Court
12-22-2021, 10:51 PM
Awesome. I'm not buying the narrative that the stars of then wouldn't be stars today.

Kblaze8855
12-22-2021, 11:01 PM
I think that is rarer argued anymore. Young people tend to lean towards the non stars being much worse. The people they never heard of from 1995 being much worse than people they can barely identify in 2021. And true or not it’s certainly not based on knowing any of their games.

iamgine
12-22-2021, 11:14 PM
meh, didn't work on Laimbeer. @ around 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90-MMxiXI0Q

Loco 50
12-22-2021, 11:20 PM
Draymond vs Chuck with 1992 rules would be hilarious. 2021 rules…it wouldn’t be an individual thing. He’d have to be doubled off the ball a bit to prevent touches. Guarded one on one with todays spacing he’d shoot 78% inside the three point line and not need to be spoon fed like the 70% shooting bums out there doing nothing but dunking.

The amount of shit talk and pure aggressive competitiveness would be great for the game. I feel Barkley would dominate pretty convincingly though.

You got me wondering how a Draymond vs Anthony Mason matchup would go now in either era. I feel like Mase's game would translate even more favorably today than in his day.

Hed probably shoot 8 threes a game at 29% the first year to level it off but inside 18 feet he’d just treat these stretch bigs like a mild nuisance and blow by any of the big bodies.

I might wanna see him play now more than anyone other than maybe bird who I’m sure would change some preconceived notions quickly.
:oldlol: Truth. The amount of trash talk he'd get from media heads would be funny as hell. He came up with his own shit, but I could see him dusting off something akin to "because there are no 4's."

Kblaze8855
12-22-2021, 11:23 PM
What didn’t work? They got into a fight. He got into many of them. Rarely with a satisfying conclusion. That’s how it goes surrounded by other players and security. Laimbeer, Oakley(twice), Shaq and so on. Nba fights don’t often have real decisive endings and even if one of his did it wouldn’t make or break my point. Being strong as hell and able to apply it to your sport doesn’t make anyone a fighter.

HunterSThompson
12-22-2021, 11:26 PM
my respect for ewing just went down a bit. that was some rag doll shit

Loco 50
12-22-2021, 11:27 PM
meh, didn't work on Laimbeer. @ around 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90-MMxiXI0Q

Eh, Laimbeer's primary goal would be to instigate Barkley, or any other star, to do something that would get him off his game or tossed, so of course he's going to try to escalate the situation.

If they both get tossed that would be a clear win for the Pistons.

Loco 50
12-22-2021, 11:30 PM
my respect for ewing just went down a bit. that was some rag doll shit

Ewing was a fake tough guy. Same as Mourning. Lotta barking, very little else. Oakley was the muscle on the Knicks.

Bawkish
12-22-2021, 11:52 PM
Ewing was a fake tough guy. Same as Mourning. Lotta barking, very little else. Oakley was the muscle on the Knicks.

You don't mess with The Oak. He practically protected rookie MJ during their Chicago days together and no one messed up with the rising star

Psileas
12-23-2021, 10:38 AM
I think that is rarer argued anymore. Young people tend to lean towards the non stars being much worse. The people they never heard of from 1995 being much worse than people they can barely identify in 2021. And true or not it’s certainly not based on knowing any of their games.

If you mean youngsters starting believing non stars of older days being much worse than today's non stars, that would still (at least) sound hilariously off, given how increasingly star-dependent today's NBA game has become, with today's stars posting "per 36" numbers that most older stars could only dream about, which should never happen in a top-to-bottom competitive league.

FKAri
12-23-2021, 10:56 AM
Awesome. I'm not buying the narrative that the stars of then wouldn't be stars today.

Some would. Others wouldn't. And some who weren't stars then, would be stars today.

tontoz
12-23-2021, 03:20 PM
I am sure there was some stuff that preceeded that first clip but yeah, Barkley was no joke.

Kblaze8855
12-23-2021, 09:09 PM
If you mean youngsters starting believing non stars of older days being much worse than today's non stars, that would still (at least) sound hilariously off, given how increasingly star-dependent today's NBA game has become, with today's stars posting "per 36" numbers that most older stars could only dream about, which should never happen in a top-to-bottom competitive league.

Its just a much easier argument to make than such and such being better than MJ, Hakeem, Shaq, and so on. There is too much evidence. They have known physical traits and skill sets. Saying the league is much deeper and the role players far superior is a lot easier because it requires no specifics. It’s not Blue Edwards vs Gary Harris. It’s vague. It can’t be proven true or false. And the hard to verify places are always where shitty takes thrive.

Baller789
12-23-2021, 09:43 PM
Its just a much easier argument to make than such and such being better than MJ, Hakeem, Shaq, and so on. There is too much evidence. They have known physical traits and skill sets. Saying the league is much deeper and the role players far superior is a lot easier because it requires no specifics. It’s not Blue Edwards vs Gary Harris. It’s vague. It can’t be proven true or false. And the hard to verify places are always where shitty takes thrive.

True.

Moreover, the recency bias that goes on becuase it's what is current then ignoring the rule changes that favor the offensive perimeter players. It makes the modern players "better" because they are flashier. And they are allowed more e.g. travelling, palming, etc.

FilmyCogTurner
12-24-2021, 12:16 AM
You don't mess with The Oak. He practically protected rookie MJ during their Chicago days together and no one messed up with the rising star

It makes you wonder how the Bulls would have looked had they kept Oakley and used the Horace pick on a center instead. The Pistons would still be the Pistons but the Bulls having at least one enforcer really changes the dynamic in my eyes.

Kblaze8855
12-25-2021, 02:09 AM
I am sure there was some stuff that preceeded that first clip but yeah, Barkley was no joke.

Meant to add this earlier:

https://youtu.be/lGMdqY40S3o

It was a physical game and Ewing had been killing them. He ended up 17/24 for 39 points and Chuck had like 37/15 himself. Said Ewing had been cheap shotting guys inside and he wasn’t gonna allow it to continue. They did all that but Oakley somehow is the one who got in trouble.

BigShotBob
12-25-2021, 02:21 AM
Meant to add this earlier:

https://youtu.be/lGMdqY40S3o

It was a physical game and Ewing had been killing them. He ended up 17/24 for 39 points and Chuck had like 37/15 himself. Said Ewing had been cheap shotting guys inside and he wasn’t gonna allow it to continue. They did all that but Oakley somehow is the one who got in trouble.

Typical :oldlol:

Wasn't there a clip of him getting a tech for staring at an official? I know Sheed got one but I thought that Oakley was the originator.