PDA

View Full Version : Ja Morant? How do people see this PG?

Sportal
01-04-2022, 03:00 AM
We've been spoiled with point guards for more than a decade, how do people see this kid? Where would they put him right now at 22 years old.

Over the last 4 games:

36/6/8 vs Brooklyn, Win.
30/6/8 vs San Antonio, Win.
41/10/2 vs Lakers, Win.
33/4/4 vs Phoenix, Win.

Shooting 53/92 FGs.

Where do you put him right now in the league, and where do you put him alongside the PGs of the last decade+. CP3, Curry, Lillard, Westbrook, Rose, Irving, Walker, Wall, Nash, Parker etc.

People were hyping up Mitchell, this kid is averaging 25/5+/5+ this season... And his team is easily 4th right now in the West at 24-14, they were in the play-ins last season, but were the 8th seed.

ImKobe
01-04-2022, 03:09 AM
I'm not ready to put him ahead of prime/peak Rose just yet but he's reaching that level and at a young age so he could very well end up being the best PG of his era (post-Steph). He's shot the 3 at an insanely efficient rate by his standards this season & during this recent streak (80% in the last 4 games, 40% on the season) so I'm not sure if that's sustainable just yet but his numbers are trending up with each season so that's a great sign. He'll surpass the likes of Dame/Rose/Kemba/Wall in the next few years if healthy IMO and then it comes down to Playoff success to reach that next level.

Axe
01-04-2022, 03:11 AM
Super cocky af

SATAN
01-04-2022, 03:13 AM
He's very impressive when he's on. I knew he was going to be good but now it's hard to tell what his ceiling is. Image his absolute peak. I hope he doesn't suffer a major injury due to his play style.

hold this L
01-04-2022, 03:21 AM
Can't compare him to PGs of the last decade, he hasn't earned his stripes for that yet. I got him as the 5th best PG in the league this year and he's on his way to being a superstar. He has the ceiling to be one of the players that replaces the current crop of generational players, but we need to see if he evolves over time. Physically, he's supernatural.

AirBonner
01-04-2022, 03:23 AM
He’s the best pointguard in the league. Doesn’t matter what rules he plays under.

insight
01-04-2022, 09:17 AM
He’s the best pointguard in the league. Doesn’t matter what rules he plays under.

You are delusional, Memphis was winning without Ja, Memphis didn't miss a beat without him. Trae is the only player Top 5 in points, and assist. When teams start picking up Ja full court, and bringing traps and double teams EVERY NIGHT then we can talk.

Full Court
01-04-2022, 04:01 PM
I'm not ready to put him ahead of prime/peak Rose just yet but he's reaching that level and at a young age so he could very well end up being the best PG of his era (post-Steph). He's shot the 3 at an insanely efficient rate by his standards this season & during this recent streak (80% in the last 4 games, 40% on the season) so I'm not sure if that's sustainable just yet but his numbers are trending up with each season so that's a great sign. He'll surpass the likes of Dame/Rose/Kemba/Wall in the next few years if healthy IMO and then it comes down to Playoff success to reach that next level.

This is a good take. I'll second all that. I think his ceiling is super high. If he lives up to his potential, he could be a legit star.

AirBonner
01-04-2022, 04:47 PM
You are delusional, Memphis was winning without Ja, Memphis didn't miss a beat without him. Trae is the only player Top 5 in points, and assist. When teams start picking up Ja full court, and bringing traps and double teams EVERY NIGHT then we can talk.
You are DELUSIONAL if you think they would sustain that without him

Johnny32
01-04-2022, 04:52 PM
i'd take him over any pg in the lg everything considered (mostly he's 22 yrs old)

Bronbron23
01-04-2022, 04:53 PM
We've been spoiled with point guards for more than a decade, how do people see this kid? Where would they put him right now at 22 years old.

Over the last 4 games:

36/6/8 vs Brooklyn, Win.
30/6/8 vs San Antonio, Win.
41/10/2 vs Lakers, Win.
33/4/4 vs Phoenix, Win.

Shooting 53/92 FGs.

Where do you put him right now in the league, and where do you put him alongside the PGs of the last decade+. CP3, Curry, Lillard, Westbrook, Rose, Irving, Walker, Wall, Nash, Parker etc.

People were hyping up Mitchell, this kid is averaging 25/5+/5+ this season... And his team is easily 4th right now in the West at 24-14, they were in the play-ins last season, but were the 8th seed.

He's the real deal and possibly the most exciting player to watch in the league atm.

Sportal
01-04-2022, 06:48 PM
He's very impressive when he's on. I knew he was going to be good but now it's hard to tell what his ceiling is. Image his absolute peak. I hope he doesn't suffer a major injury due to his play style.

Id be very upset.

I just think in the end this kid will have it all, he has shown up in huge games, he talks it up and says whatever he wants, he's got the attitude and ceiling to be a super star and franchise player/leader, but................... It's Memphis.. and I honestly feel like this guy could be a one franchise player... Which will probably harm his legacy, who wants to go to Memphis really?

He is becoming cannot miss basketball, like Mr D.Rose.

insight
01-04-2022, 06:50 PM
You are DELUSIONAL if you think they would sustain that without him

What do you mean substain, when they STARTED THE WINNING STREAK when Ja was injured. We are not talking about 1 or 2 games either so stop acting like Memphis is not a solid team without Ja because they are. Ja makes them better and much more exciting team to watch but lets not pretend like Dillon Brooks isn't the tone setter on the team or having JJJ back isn't huge for Memphis.
I love watching Memphis, they compete night in and night out and always play with a chip on their shoulder. The culture they are building is amazing and they have a nice young core. It terms of best point guard it's Trae Young and all the metrics support it. If Ja is your favorite point guard, I get that, or Ja is been one of the best PG's this year OK I agree but Trae Young is the best young point guard, end of story right now.
Could Ja make that jump in the future, sure maybe but I doubt it.

tontoz
01-04-2022, 07:02 PM
What do you mean substain, when they STARTED THE WINNING STREAK when Ja was injured. We are not talking about 1 or 2 games either so stop acting like Memphis is not a solid team without Ja because they are. Ja makes them better and much more exciting team to watch but lets not pretend like Dillon Brooks isn't the tone setter on the team or having JJJ back isn't huge for Memphis.
I love watching Memphis, they compete night in and night out and always play with a chip on their shoulder. The culture they are building is amazing and they have a nice young core. It terms of best point guard it's Trae Young and all the metrics support it. If Ja is your favorite point guard, I get that, or Ja is been one of the best PG's this year OK I agree but Trae Young is the best young point guard, end of story right now.
Could Ja make that jump in the future, sure maybe but I doubt it.

I was listening to the Zach Lowe podcast one day and he said morant was epically bad on defense. His on/off numbers seem to confirm this.

http://www.82games.com/2122/2122MEM.HTM

I have a hard time believing he is really that bad on D.

If he can sustain good 3 pt shooting he will be unstoppable on offense. He is currently shooting 40% from 3 on the season. Small sample obviously.

insight
01-04-2022, 07:21 PM
I was listening to the Zach Lowe podcast one day and he said morant was epically bad on defense. His on/off numbers seem to confirm this.

http://www.82games.com/2122/2122MEM.HTM

I have a hard time believing he is really that bad on D.

If he can sustain good 3 pt shooting he will be unstoppable on offense. He is currently shooting 40% from 3 on the season. Small sample obviously.

Wow, those numbers are shocking!!
My take is young small guards are always going to struggle on defense fighting through screens etc and I think Ja is no different. I don't think he is that horrible but I was surprised., Trae has similar defensive defieciencies.
I do beleive the other aspects of his game, make up for it and his shooting is much improved. His shot mechanics are not that good but he picks his spot where he can set his feet and relax and follow through on his jumpers.
What I don't think is substainable is his reliance reliance on athleticsm in the paint. He rarely creates seperation with his footwork and floor spacing but chooses to use his leaping ability and contort in the air making really difficult shots consistently.
Russell Westbrook is the only player I can think of that was able to substain that style night in and night out. I hope he stays healthy because he is fun to watch.

PeroAntic
01-04-2022, 07:24 PM
Ja's defense is bad because he saves energy for offense. I hope that continues because hes absolutely amazing on offense. Top 5 offensive player in the league with Curry, Durant, Jokic and Giannis.

insight
01-04-2022, 09:26 PM
Ja's defense is bad because he saves energy for offense. I hope that continues because hes absolutely amazing on offense. Top 5 offensive player in the league with Curry, Durant, Jokic and Giannis
Hmmm, Top 5 offensive player based on what? You are just making up stuff and speaking hyperbole.

PeroAntic
01-04-2022, 09:31 PM
Hmmm, Top 5 offensive player based on what? You are just making up stuff and speaking hyperbole.

Based on what he can do on offense. He cuts like a swiss knife to the rim and is an outworldly passer. Have you seen this kid?

insight
01-04-2022, 10:01 PM
Based on what he can do on offense. He cuts like a swiss knife to the rim and is an outworldly passer. Have you seen this kid?

Ja is very good, but not a top 5 offensive player, his jump shot has improved but his offensive bag is still limited compared to the top offensive players.

Chuckbe
01-04-2022, 10:29 PM
Way better than the overrated chucker in the ATL

insight
01-04-2022, 11:36 PM
Way better than the overrated chucker in the ATL

Typical low IQ response. You hate Trae and can't make a competent argument so you throw out nonsense with no facts to support what you claim.
Your just a hater.

SATAN
01-05-2022, 12:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmRR8xG5QvA

His hang time and body control is crazy.

insight
01-05-2022, 02:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmRR8xG5QvA

His hang time and body control is crazy.

Ja does have incredible body control and explosiveness . Trae's dominant performances are so routine they get ignored or overlooked.
I bet you didn't know Trae played the Cavs a few days ago and with a bunch of G Leaguers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvEeiaqUMpE

SATAN
01-05-2022, 02:59 AM
Maybe you have me confused with another poster? I like Trae. No, I didn't see that game though.

insight
01-05-2022, 03:07 AM
Maybe you have me confused with another poster? I like Trae. No, I didn't see that game though.

My bad I've been dealing with a lot of haters lately. I love watching Ja and think he is a great young talent, but some on here want to minimize what Trae is doing to make it seem like Trae is doing more which is not the case.