PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson - Best PG of All Time? (VIDEO)

PETRO2222
01-04-2022, 06:32 PM
People enjoy, THE BEST PG of all times and his BEST PLAYS... POETRY ON THE COURT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGEGIObkeiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sePCvCOa-Y

Thenameless
01-04-2022, 06:56 PM
Yes, easily. And with a sizable difference between him and second place.

Hey Yo
01-04-2022, 07:23 PM
Do they show his defensive prowess and great jump shots throughout his career?

PETRO2222
01-05-2022, 06:41 AM
There is no doubt in my mind, he is the greatest PG of all time... really no doubt, and I think Jordan, LeBron etc would all agree on this.

John8204
01-05-2022, 08:23 AM
I went maybe if you do a list of top five he's automatically #1 which for me is.

1. Magic
2. Oscar
3. Stockton
4. Curry
5. Paul

He's the most accomplished PG of all-time but Oscar and Stockton were more well-rounded, because the 2nd half of his Laker career he kinda became a SG

mr4speed
01-05-2022, 12:37 PM
People enjoy, THE BEST PG of all times and his BEST PLAYS... POETRY ON THE COURT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGEGIObkeiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sePCvCOa-Y
I have to put my vote in for Oscar Robertson. The big O in his first 5 years averaged a triple double back when nobody even mentioned this. And he was putting in 30 points per game. And Oscar was a very good defensive player and Magic was not. When Oscar retired he was viewed as the best basketball player that had ever played. John Havlicek once said "Oscar had no weaknesses as a basketball player". Given a time machine and head to head match-up, I believe Oscar would outplay Magic more often than not. Oscar's defensive talent tips the balance.

1987_Lakers
01-05-2022, 12:49 PM
I went maybe if you do a list of top five he's automatically #1 which for me is.

1. Magic
2. Oscar
3. Stockton
4. Curry
5. Paul

He's the most accomplished PG of all-time but Oscar and Stockton were more well-rounded, because the 2nd half of his Laker career he kinda became a SG

LOL

SouBeachTalents
01-05-2022, 12:52 PM
Did you really think you needed to make a thread saying Magic’s the GOAT PG? That’s been the consensus for 30 years :lol

1987_Lakers
01-05-2022, 12:53 PM
I have to put my vote in for Oscar Robertson. The big O in his first 5 years averaged a triple double back when nobody even mentioned this. And he was putting in 30 points per game. And Oscar was a very good defensive player and Magic was not. When Oscar retired he was viewed as the best basketball player that had ever played. John Havlicek once said "Oscar had no weaknesses as a basketball player". Given a time machine and head to head match-up, I believe Oscar would outplay Magic more often than not. Oscar's defensive talent tips the balance.

No he wasn't. He was never known for his defense and his teams usually ranked near the bottom in that department. He was average at best.

And Bill Russell was voted the GOAT in 1980, in no way was Oscar viewed as the GOAT when he retired.

ShawkFactory
01-05-2022, 12:57 PM

1. Magic
2. Oscar
3. Stockton
4. Curry
5. Paul

Other way around. The first few years of his career Norm Nixon was technically the PG.

jlip
01-05-2022, 01:34 PM

This

mr4speed
01-05-2022, 02:35 PM
No he wasn't. He was never known for his defense and his teams usually ranked near the bottom in that department. He was average at best.

And Bill Russell was voted the GOAT in 1980, in no way was Oscar viewed as the GOAT when he retired.
I should have said "greatest non center" or "greatest all around" player. I believe Jerry West admitted when he became a pro that Oscar was much better than him and it took years for West to get to where he thought he could compete with him.

Round Mound
01-05-2022, 06:48 PM

1. Magic
2. Oscar
3. Stockton
4. Curry
5. Paul

What about Isiah?

John8204
01-06-2022, 07:04 PM
What about Isiah?

In the top ten but actually fairly low in my eyes when you consider the other guys

Jason Kidd - 2nd in Steals and Asst's and took terrible teams to the finals
Walt Frazier - 2 time champ and defensive powerhouse
Tiny Archibald - changed the way the position was played
Bob Cousy - 6 time champion 2 time MVP

For me I feel like we over-rate Isiah and we under-rate the other Pistons like Joe Dumars, Mark Aguirre and Bill Laimbeer. But for me...he was never an MVP a fringe top ten player for his career he was the third best PG of his era.

Gimmedarock
01-07-2022, 10:46 PM
Curry and Paul should be higher than Magic. I watched clips of his weak dribbling during the last dance and had to laugh.

Thenameless
01-08-2022, 01:50 PM

As much as I'm a Magic fan, I have no problems with anyone that ranks Oscar at the top. He's one of the most well rounded players in NBA history, and very high level at all of those things.

The reason I put Magic at the top is because of his playoff success. He was great in the regular season, but he had an ability to elevate even more when it really counted. When Magic basically choked away a Championship in 1984, a loss like that would have psychologically destroyed most players. Being called Tragic Johnson hurt him emotionally. Then, in 1985 Magic hits a clutch baby hook (when Boston was up with less than 10 seconds left in the game) to put the Lakers in a commanding series lead; if Lakers lose that game, I believe they lose again to the Celtics. Basically, Magic is able to clutch it out as a scorer (even though he is primarily a playmaker) when his team needs him the most. We already know about his rookie heroics. Keep in mind that this is being done against another all time clutch player and team in Bird and the 80's Celtics.

mr4speed
01-08-2022, 02:37 PM
As much as I'm a Magic fan, I have no problems with anyone that ranks Oscar at the top. He's one of the most well rounded players in NBA history, and very high level at all of those things.

The reason I put Magic at the top is because of his playoff success. He was great in the regular season, but he had an ability to elevate even more when it really counted. When Magic basically choked away a Championship in 1984, a loss like that would have psychologically destroyed most players. Being called Tragic Johnson hurt him emotionally. Then, in 1985 Magic hits a clutch baby hook (when Boston was up with less than 10 seconds left in the game) to put the Lakers in a commanding series lead; if Lakers lose that game, I believe they lose again to the Celtics. Basically, Magic is able to clutch it out as a scorer (even though he is primarily a playmaker) when his team needs him the most. We already know about his rookie heroics. Keep in mind that this is being done against another all time clutch player and team in Bird and the 80's Celtics.

The baby hook from Magic happened in game 4 in 1987 not 1985. Magic in 85 played well but the reason LA won the series was Kareem. Kareem was the FMVP and after his terrible game 1 = in the next 5 games Kareem posted a per game of 28.4 points, 10.2 rebounds, 6.0 assists on 61% shooting! Also I have a hard time with Magic winning the FMVP in 1980 because even though he had a transcendent game 6, the voters after game 6 voted for Kareem to receive the award. Because Kareem was not present the voters were asked to change their votes so Magic would win it. This is covered in the book titled "Kareem" pages 140-141. Perhaps I am being to harsh on Magic but in 1983 LA got swept as Moses outplayed Kareem but Magic shot 40.3% and committed 24 turnovers in only 4 games and in 1991 LA nearly got swept, they did lose 4 games in a row and Magic shot 43.1%. Magic did not play poorly but the Bulls and Jordan were clearly much better. I only saw Oscar play a few times as a kid on TV, but he was highly regarded. Maybe I should see what is available on you tube for Oscar. I have no problem with people choosing Magic, I just feel Oscar has been forgotten.

Jasper
01-08-2022, 08:10 PM

stockton ??

lmao