PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of Memphis? Are they legit? Can they make the WCF? Finals? Champs?

Im Still Ballin
01-12-2022, 12:01 PM
Here's what you need to know if you don't already know:

- Tied 3rd in the Western Conference
- 3.5 games back from 1st seed in the West & NBA
- 2.5 games back from 2nd seed in the West
- 20-4 over the last six weeks
- 10 straight wins
- The best record against .500 teams
- Scalps like GSW, Brooklyn, Cleveland, Toronto, Dallas, Miami, Philly, Phoenix, LAC, LA

Memphis are a fascinating team because they're dominating despite being a poor 3pt shooting team. They've relied on an imposing defense, manic offensive rebounding while keeping turnovers low. They get stops, get out in transition, avoid errand mistakes, and give themselves second chances to score.

Memphis leads the league in rebounds per game (52.3), offensive rebounds (15.3) and second-chance points (20.7), and sit second in rebound percentage (52.6), outhustling teams on a nightly basis.

Through their 10 game stretch, the Grizzlies have the fourth-ranked defense in the league, giving up just 104.8 points per 100 possessions, behind only the Warriors, Celtics and Mavericks in that span.

This season, they've leaned on the defensive end, especially in the stretch of games Morant missed and they lead the league in steals (10.2) and blocks (6.3) on the season.

It just feels like if they can start hitting outside shots, they'll go to another level. The addition of Steven Adams was a major win; Jonas Val is a good player, but Big Kiwi brings defensive robustness and a roleplaying demeanour that better fits the talents of Ja Morant. Adams is one of the best screen setters in the NBA.

How legit are they?

expansionera
01-12-2022, 12:03 PM
Who do you consider a contender in the West? Warriors, Jazz, Suns, maybe Lakers if AD plays like he gives a damn.

Grizzlies could beat any of those teams in a series honestly, WCF is possible but I’d go as far to say anything short of conference finals is a disappointment

Airupthere
01-12-2022, 12:10 PM
Who do you consider a contender in the West? Warriors, Jazz, Suns, maybe Lakers if AD plays like he gives a damn.

Grizzlies could beat any of those teams in a series honestly, WCF is possible but I’d go as far to say anything short of conference finals is a disappointment

Not reaching the wcf should not be a disappointment for the grizzlies. Winning a rs game against the warriors is one thing. They have been playing great as a team. They can reach the wcf but that will depend on how they can keep their play up in the playoffs.

Vino24
01-12-2022, 01:46 PM
They have interesting pieces that could get the. Their. Whether they can sustain it for a series will be found out

insight
01-12-2022, 01:51 PM
The Grizz are an interesting team for sure. They play with tremedous energy and heart every night and a healthy JJJ really gives them that stretch 5 versaility they missed last year. So much of their offensive comes from fastbreaks and transition my feeling is they will stuggle in the playoffs where the game slows down and more half court execution is required.
Ja is using his elite althetism similar to a young Westbrook on a nightly basis, I,m not sure how long he will able to substain that style of play without being hampered by injury. ESPN has clearly moved on to Ja from Luka and Zion to Ja as the air apparent with the over promotion which never is a good thing.

Vino24
01-12-2022, 01:54 PM
The Grizz are an interesting team for sure. They play with tremedous energy and heart every night and a healthy JJJ really gives them that stretch 5 versaility they missed last year. So much of their offensive comes from fastbreaks and transition my feeling is they will stuggle in the playoffs where the game slows down and more half court execution is required.
Ja is using his elite althetism similar to a young Westbrook on a nightly basis, I,m not sure how long he will able to substain that style of play without being hampered by injury. ESPN has clearly moved on to Ja from Luka and Zion to Ja as the air apparent with the over promotion which never is a good thing.

Ja is like a Westbrook that can shoot and isn’t a turn over machine. The guy is dangerous

fsvr54
01-12-2022, 02:19 PM
Ja is like a Westbrook that can shoot and isn’t a turn over machine. The guy is dangerous

So he's not like Westbrook then

ArbitraryWater
01-12-2022, 02:30 PM
Theyre crazy good.

Initially I considered it a good series for the Mavs (they could still win it obv), but MEM is very close to the top 3...

Spurs m8
01-12-2022, 03:12 PM
So he's not like Westbrook then

:roll: