PDA

View Full Version : Who is the GOAT under North Korean rules?

Kblaze8855
01-13-2022, 09:45 AM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2201131912200350.jpeg

Gudo
01-13-2022, 09:50 AM
Big man dominance will be back under those rules. Slam dunks will be more valuable than 3s. Not sure what the % will be of all net 3pt shots for the 4 points. The last 3 seconds rules is just crazy. All the more are teams going for the easiest 2 pts they can get.

DCL
01-13-2022, 09:52 AM
what dude over there can stop shaq from dunking all day?

ThRRR3tardSatan
01-13-2022, 09:54 AM
Michael Jordan
Tracy McGrady
Dirk Nowitzki
Steve Nash
Reggie Miller
Ray Allen
Peja Stojakovic
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson

ThRRR3tardSatan
01-13-2022, 09:55 AM
I had Shaq, Dwight DeAndre but they lose points for missed free throws...

Is there a rule on intentional fouls? I'd have the end of the bench guys foul opposing players like Shaq that can't make free throws so they lose possession if they make 1 of 2... or lose a couple points for missing both.

Kblaze8855
01-13-2022, 09:58 AM
I have an unreasonable number of thoughts about this so I’ll try to keep it succinct….

I originally thought of bigs who can dunk a lot for extra 3s but the dunk leader(Gobert) last year only adds about 2.5 points a game but loses 2 of that with missed free throws so it’s nearly even. It would be that way with many bigs.

Hack a Shaq removes non shooting bigs from consideration doesn’t it? I can imagine Shaq could still have 30-40 point games even losing points from misses by gaining points from dunks but it would be tough to navigate. He’d be fouled on every close catch. That said…he fouls out your whole front line and has you giving up bonus free throws most of every quarter. You’d would almost have to allow 8 fouls before ejection.

A guy like Jordan could dunk half the game these days….you could nearly build an offense around transition dunks if you get him the outlet passers. And he can shoot his free throws. Won’t get many 4 pointers though. Didn’t take many threes and even if he did his line drive shot might not result in as many nothing but net 4 pointers. But….he can hit those 8 point game winners. He might be the GOAT under both rule sets.

Also have to talk Steph of course. You couldn’t afford to let him take an 8 point three at the end of any close game so maybe you foul him….

Is that 8 free throws? He’s gonna make all 8 a lot of the time. He’d have 3 four pointers a game. If you can get him the ball end of game he’s either 6-8 free points for the win or a 3(8) from winning you like 30% of all close games you had no business winning.

But a late dunk is also 8 so….guys you can lob it too would be dangerous as well. When Giannis is going back door for a lob for 8 points down 5 and Middleton is easing into the space he cleared for a jumper who do you defend? You gotta keep someone in the paint to stop Giannis on the lob along with his assigned man so someone is open for 8.

You would have teams building leads and playing hard to stay at least 20 points up so you can’t hack a Shaq them and they lose points. Imagine being up 15 with 5 minutes and they make you either pull your center who can’t shoot(allowing 3 point dunks at a higher rate) or let him go to the line and keep making one of two for no net points as they come back easily.

4th quarters would be crazy small ball with 3s playing center to keep non shooters off the floor.

It would be interesting in an all star game at least.

Zach Lavine for mvp?

Real Men Wear Green
01-13-2022, 10:00 AM
Joel Embiid?

FultzNationRISE
01-13-2022, 11:05 AM
CLEARLY Lebron :biggums:

ArbitraryWater
01-13-2022, 11:58 AM
Big man dominance will be back under those rules. Slam dunks will be more valuable than 3s. Not sure what the % will be of all net 3pt shots for the 4 points. The last 3 seconds rules is just crazy. All the more are teams going for the easiest 2 pts they can get.

They will foul big men every time and with 1/2 you get no points…

Those rules are fun except the last 2 min shit. Completely ruins it.

Kblaze8855
01-13-2022, 12:01 PM
CLEARLY Lebron :biggums:

Depends on the season. Some years missed free throws make up for the extra points off dunks.

Kblaze8855
01-13-2022, 12:02 PM
They will foul big men every time and with 1/2 you get no points…

Those rules are fun except the last 2 min shit. Completely ruins it.

Last 3 seconds not 3 minutes. 3 minutes of 8 pointers would be insane. Not that an 8 pointer to win at the buzzer down 7 isn’t.

FultzNationRISE
01-13-2022, 12:04 PM
Depends on the season. Some years missed free throws make up for the extra points off dunks.

Bro he would make more free throws under those rules. He’s Lebron ****ING James.

Dont get me upset now.

ralph_i_el
01-13-2022, 12:22 PM
What player has the best combo of dunking volume and free throw %? This rule incentivizes you to wrap up a guy like Shaq even more to prevent a 3 point dunk, and possible cause him to lose points instead.

I just looked at how it might impact Durant. in 2013-14 he had 146 dunks, and missed 102 free throws. I think the lost point on missed free throws would cancel out the extra dunking point for most players, and more than cancel it out for some big men.

I think the player that benefits most from this is Embiid. Lots of dunks, high free throw %, and takes 3's......but then I just looked at the stats. He's missed 59 free throws so far, and only has 26 dunks. KAT has missed 39 FT and has 38 dunks. Shaq has a bunch of seasons with 300-400 missed free throws, but his most dunks in a season was 255.

Akeem34TheDream
01-13-2022, 12:35 PM
Joel Embiid?

Good call. Him or Curry imo.

warriorfan
01-13-2022, 01:00 PM
Thought of Embiid, KD, Curry

iamgine
01-13-2022, 01:03 PM
We have to consider that with this kind of rule, everybody would would play very differently. You can't just do the math with the current stats. Guys like Joel Embiid would park his ass near the rim all the time. Right now only 5% of his attempts are dunks. With this rule I reckon he'd dunk 90% of the time or at least try to. Guys like Durant also wouldn't do mid-range anymore. He'd just shoot 4s from outside or drive for a dunk attempt.

Airupthere
01-13-2022, 01:08 PM
Would this count as 3 pts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8vbdA0wGuI

tpols
01-13-2022, 03:42 PM
MJ would still be the GOAT because he will get bonus points for the dunking without suffering the FT penalty most big men would.

Pure shooters that put a ton of arc on their 3s like Curry, Dirk, Bird and Nash get a boost too. Ray Allen also had a nice swish game.

tpols
01-13-2022, 03:45 PM
We have to consider that with this kind of rule, everybody would would play very differently. You can't just do the math with the current stats. Guys like Joel Embiid would park his ass near the rim all the time. Right now only 5% of his attempts are dunks. With this rule I reckon he'd dunk 90% of the time or at least try to. Guys like Durant also wouldn't do mid-range anymore. He'd just shoot 4s from outside or drive for a dunk attempt.

If he could do that now he'd do it too but he can't. With how often he hits the deck on contact he'd get injured in no time playing like that.

Spurs m8
01-13-2022, 03:47 PM
KD in every aspect

Aside from MJ...would have adapted his game to be include the 3, had he been in this era.

Full Court
01-13-2022, 10:10 PM
I like this point deduction for a missed free throw rule. Make it happen, Adam Silver.

ShawkFactory
01-13-2022, 10:14 PM
I like this point deduction for a missed free throw rule. Make it happen, Adam Silver.

Why? Would you rather the game move even further from the basket? Because that's exactly what would happen.

Full Court
01-13-2022, 10:16 PM
Why? Would you rather the game move even further from the basket? Because that's exactly what would happen.

I see free throws as the most fundamental aspect of the game. And I can't stand flopping. I just like the idea of there being a bigger incentive to not miss them, and there would be less fishing for foul calls, Trae and Harden style.

ShawkFactory
01-13-2022, 10:35 PM
I see free throws as the most fundamental aspect of the game. And I can't stand flopping. I just like the idea of there being a bigger incentive to not miss them, and there would be less fishing for foul calls, Trae and Harden style.

I mean I appreciate that line of thinking but you can't just ignore that the game would never flow through bigs who don't shoot at least 70% from the line anymore. Even guys who can't shoot but are strictly on the floor for defense and rebounding would be driven out. There would have to be a new rule against intentionally fouling.

iamgine
01-13-2022, 10:39 PM
If he could do that now he'd do it too but he can't. With how often he hits the deck on contact he'd get injured in no time playing like that.

Now it's not optimal to do that so why would he? He'd also bulk up even more and become much more of a power player.

Full Court
01-13-2022, 10:54 PM
I mean I appreciate that line of thinking but you can't just ignore that the game would never flow through bigs who don't shoot at least 70% from the line anymore. Even guys who can't shoot but are strictly on the floor for defense and rebounding would be driven out. There would have to be a new rule against intentionally fouling.

Yeah, I hear you, and there's no way that idea would ever even be seriously entertained. I'd still like to see it though. Just for a game or two.

ShawkFactory
01-13-2022, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I hear you, and there's no way that idea would ever even be seriously entertained. I'd still like to see it though. Just for a game or two.

But also the people you’re wanting to punish with that rule are borderline 90% shooters from the line.

That’s why they try so hard to get there in the first place.

wagexslave
01-13-2022, 11:03 PM
The Nash/Stoudemire/Marion Suns would be the most busted overpowered team of all time

Full Court
01-13-2022, 11:10 PM
But also the people you’re wanting to punish with that rule are borderline 90% shooters from the line.

That’s why they try so hard to get there in the first place.

But the 10% of the time that they got deducted points would be hilarious.

iamgine
01-13-2022, 11:35 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2201131912200350.jpeg

Also, assuming the rest of the rules are the same as current ones, no one with even a 70 FT% will ever see the floor. Because if they do, there will be intentional foul every single time. Lets say you're a 70% FT shooter. Out of 10 FTA, you make 7 and miss 3 for a total of 4 points.

60% FT shooter now becomes 20%
70% FT shooter now becomes 40%
80% FT shooter now becomes 60%
90% FT shooter now becomes 80%

Johnny32
01-13-2022, 11:47 PM
Also, assuming the rest of the rules are the same as current ones, no one with even a 70 FT% will ever see the floor. Because if they do, there will be intentional foul every single time. Lets say you're a 70% FT shooter. Out of 10 FTA, you make 7 and miss 3 for a total of 4 points.

60% FT shooter now becomes 20%
70% FT shooter now becomes 40%
80% FT shooter now becomes 60%
90% FT shooter now becomes 80%

uh, 6 fouls and you're ejected if the rest of the rules are the same. they'd ff by halftime.

iamgine
01-13-2022, 11:53 PM
uh, 6 fouls and you're ejected if the rest of the rules are the same. they'd ff by halftime.

You can easily just keep rotating guys to foul like we saw with hack a Shaq. We'll see 40+ fouls a game per team regularly.

hateraid
01-13-2022, 11:57 PM
Heurter

Johnny32
01-13-2022, 11:59 PM
You can easily just keep rotating guys to foul like we saw with hack a Shaq. We'll see 40+ fouls a game per team regularly.

there's 100+ possessions in an nba game.

iamgine
01-14-2022, 02:07 AM
there's 100+ possessions in an nba game.

Yes there is

hateraid
01-14-2022, 08:01 AM
Honestly if the criteria included a whole Era I would have to say Kobe, Vince, McGrady, or Durant..

Johnny32
01-14-2022, 08:05 AM
it's obviously lebron to answer the topic question.

Kblaze8855
01-14-2022, 09:30 AM

But that process would disrupt your offense as well. The serious hack a Shaq situations took out whole lineups which keeps your best team off the floor. The pacers let him take 40 free throws but their 3 bigs had 23 fouls. They were one foul from losing 3 centers. And that was with less motivation to foul than a dunk being 3 and an and one dunk being a potential 4 point play.

You would put the other team in the bonus right off the top and play timid for like 7 minutes a quarter. Imagine the damage a Kobe can do knowing you’re in the bonus and all the opposing bigs are fouled out/about to be.

Once your big had drawn the fouls to put them in the bonus/eliminate rim protection the guards would run wild.

The pacers to your point did cause 20 missed free throws but several dunks mitigates that a bit. Plus nobody today plays 3 real centers. You would be losing significant parts of your offense or benching them for scrubs to foul all the time. Both teams would be pretty disrupted.

AlternativeAcc.
01-14-2022, 10:48 AM
Durant... could drain 4 pointers.. shoots 90% from the line.... 7ft and extremely agile... clutch as a bastard

Lebron... he's lebron... GOAT skillet...

Hakeem... gives you the big man dominance you need wo the extreme FT weakness

iamgine
01-14-2022, 11:24 AM
But that process would disrupt your offense as well. The serious hack a Shaq situations took out whole lineups which keeps your best team off the floor. The pacers let him take 40 free throws but their 3 bigs had 23 fouls. They were one foul from losing 3 centers. And that was with less motivation to foul than a dunk being 3 and an and one dunk being a potential 4 point play.

You would put the other team in the bonus right off the top and play timid for like 7 minutes a quarter. Imagine the damage a Kobe can do knowing you’re in the bonus and all the opposing bigs are fouled out/about to be.

Once your big had drawn the fouls to put them in the bonus/eliminate rim protection the guards would run wild.

The pacers to your point did cause 20 missed free throws but several dunks mitigates that a bit. Plus nobody today plays 3 real centers. You would be losing significant parts of your offense or benching them for scrubs to foul all the time. Both teams would be pretty disrupted.

If you mean game 2 of '00 playoff, with this North Korean rule Shaq would have scored 19 pts 27 TS% in that game instead of 40 pts 57 TS%. Give him a couple more points from dunks, it doesn't matter. Lakers would've been blown out.

Think about that.

Kblaze8855
01-14-2022, 12:37 PM
I already thought about it that’s why I told you how many free throws he missed before you even said that.

What I’m telling you is actually playing under these circumstances would change the game even more. And that was before they altered the off ball foul rule as well. These days under those rules Shaq will try to dunk absolutely everything. And I can show you games he had 12 dunks already. Not being able to foul him the same way off the ball they would work a lot harder getting him the ball in position to try to dunk quickly and go for a four point play. He’d be running the floor more. All over offensive boards. And the only way to slow it down is to play your backups to do the fouling and hurt you elsewhere(otherwise they wouldn’t be end of benchctypes to begin with).

You could build your whole offense on somebody who can dunk everything like Shaq rolling to the basket for threes Or fouling out their front court and getting possession back when you do it over and over at the end of quarters. I’d like to see what creative coaches would do with that on both ends. It wouldn’t be as simple as take points for the missed free throws in games played in the past to get the results. The games would never be played those ways to begin with.

iamgine
01-14-2022, 12:50 PM
I already thought about it that’s why I told you how many free throws he missed before you even said that.

What I’m telling you is actually playing under these circumstances would change the game even more. And that was before they altered the off ball foul rule as well. These days under those rules Shaq will try to dunk absolutely everything. And I can show you games he had 12 dunks already. Not being able to foul him the same way off the ball they would work a lot harder getting him the ball in position to try to dunk quickly and go for a four point play. He’d be running the floor more. All over offensive boards. And the only way to slow it down is to play your backups to do the fouling and hurt you elsewhere(otherwise they wouldn’t be end of benchctypes to begin with).

You could build your whole offense on somebody who can dunk everything like Shaq rolling to the basket for threes Or fouling out their front court and getting possession back when you do it over and over at the end of quarters. I’d like to see what creative coaches would do with that on both ends. It wouldn’t be as simple as take points for the missed free throws in games played in the past to get the results. The games would never be played those ways to begin with.
That's what I said. With this kind of rule, everybody would would play very differently. You can't just do the math with the current stats.

ralph_i_el
01-14-2022, 12:51 PM

Somebody needs to send these rules to Don Nelson and ask what he would do.

expansionera
01-14-2022, 12:52 PM
If you want to see the GOAT you need only check the record book -Larry Birc

Wilt would obliterate his competition under these rules with more ease than he did in the NBA.

ralph_i_el
01-14-2022, 12:54 PM
I've given some more thought and research to this. Kobe would be the goat I think. Best combo of dunks, free throw %, and 3pt attempt rate.

HunterSThompson
01-14-2022, 01:16 PM
the best long range shooter/dunkers would dominate

- kobe
- tmac
- vince
- durant
- lebron (current version)

FKAri
01-14-2022, 01:30 PM
I have an unreasonable number of thoughts about this so I’ll try to keep it succinct….

I originally thought of bigs who can dunk a lot for extra 3s but the dunk leader(Gobert) last year only adds about 2.5 points a game but loses 2 of that with missed free throws so it’s nearly even. It would be that way with many bigs.

Hack a Shaq removes non shooting bigs from consideration doesn’t it? I can imagine Shaq could still have 30-40 point games even losing points from misses by gaining points from dunks but it would be tough to navigate. He’d be fouled on every close catch. That said…he fouls out your whole front line and has you giving up bonus free throws most of every quarter. You’d would almost have to allow 8 fouls before ejection.

A guy like Jordan could dunk half the game these days….you could nearly build an offense around transition dunks if you get him the outlet passers. And he can shoot his free throws. Won’t get many 4 pointers though. Didn’t take many threes and even if he did his line drive shot might not result in as many nothing but net 4 pointers. But….he can hit those 8 point game winners. He might be the GOAT under both rule sets.

Also have to talk Steph of course. You couldn’t afford to let him take an 8 point three at the end of any close game so maybe you foul him….

Is that 8 free throws? He’s gonna make all 8 a lot of the time. He’d have 3 four pointers a game. If you can get him the ball end of game he’s either 6-8 free points for the win or a 3(8) from winning you like 30% of all close games you had no business winning.

But a late dunk is also 8 so….guys you can lob it too would be dangerous as well. When Giannis is going back door for a lob for 8 points down 5 and Middleton is easing into the space he cleared for a jumper who do you defend? You gotta keep someone in the paint to stop Giannis on the lob along with his assigned man so someone is open for 8.

You would have teams building leads and playing hard to stay at least 20 points up so you can’t hack a Shaq them and they lose points. Imagine being up 15 with 5 minutes and they make you either pull your center who can’t shoot(allowing 3 point dunks at a higher rate) or let him go to the line and keep making one of two for no net points as they come back easily.

4th quarters would be crazy small ball with 3s playing center to keep non shooters off the floor.

It would be interesting in an all star game at least.

Zach Lavine for mvp?

Consider that if a player shoots < 50% from the FT line it would be favorable to intentionally foul them even if his team retains possession. If you increase fouls available from 6 to 8 a lot of bigs would be out of the league. Regardless, ability to make FTs would be crucial and fouling would be a big part of the game. Any open dunk attempt would be responded to with an intentional foul if available even if it be away from the ball.

Largely it would evolve into the current day NBA game since 3s are still 3s and have the potential to be 4s. And it would take an extremely dominant interior scoring presence to counter act that.

ralph_i_el
01-14-2022, 01:46 PM
If you want to see the GOAT you need only check the record book -Larry Birc

Wilt would obliterate his competition under these rules with more ease than he did in the NBA.

Wilt shot under 50% on free throws some seasons. That means instead of getting points from free throws, he would actually be LOSING points from free throws overall.

Kblaze8855
01-14-2022, 01:58 PM
Wilt playing the game he’d want to play would be close to a giant Orlando Dwight with better touch than the guy who got 50 touches to score. Wilt scored a lot when he was told to but left to play his way he was barely shooting at all. He might end up a pick and roll terror under these rules just dunking everything lobbed his way and getting putbacks.

Druckenmiller
01-15-2022, 12:31 AM
Depends. Are we also playing with North Koreas starvation diet?