PDA

View Full Version : "Big 3" OG's West, Chamberlain and Baylor only played 108 games together & other info

hiphopanonymous
01-19-2022, 05:40 PM
I've been doing research on these three as I'm putting together a new video of the highest quality tape of them all when all 3 were on the floor together. The team fascinates me because they have all the complexity of greatness mixed with pitfalls from mixing such top tier aging talent on one team. Here's a thread with just some thoughts and info I've had on them for anyone curious. Backstory of course is nobody could beat Boston in the 1960's except Wilt Chamberlain's 1967 76ers. Lakers got a new owner, Jack Kent Cook that built them a new arena, changed their uniforms, and wanted to put them on the map with a championship. Only problem was they couldn't get past Boston and Kent wanted to pull some strings to acquire Wilt Chamberlain so he could matchup against Boston's X-factor Bill Russell. He got Wilt, but due their advancing years as players they did NOT play together as a "big 3" more often than they DID. There were also chemistry issues. So forget about all their stats and what not that you can see on basketball reference which doesn't account for all the games one or two of them were out, if you want to know their actual chemistry together the few times when all were healthy and wonder how they played as a trio this is what I've gathered below:

As a trio in the regular season:
* Only played 72 total regular season games together, record was 50 wins, 22 losses. Pretty good but not as good as some might have expected which I can outline below.
* Wilt has stated in interviews regardless of the big 3 (and ignoring the fact that they missed so many games together from age/injury), he felt those teams had little to no depth. Top heavy in his opinion and this is probably true due to the league expansions that began in the late 1960's and continued through the early 1970's.
* Wilt and Baylor didn't gel perfectly together, both needed the paint and both sacrificed touches to blend their games as best as possible and both were alpha personality but with different views and basketball team needs so clashed for those reasons at times as well - though both kept it civil with each other unlike Wilt with one of the Lakers coaches (Butch VB).
* Butch VB the Lakers first coach wanted constant cutting action and ball movement, and favored Elgin who could handle all of this over Wilt who basically played a stationary style of ball that got in his motion offenses way. Wilt needed triangle style offense where he's constantly positioned as a strong inside hub that gets constant touches and finds outside shooters and slashers with the option to dominate 1 on 1 (ala the champion 76ers). Wilt knew the Lakers GM Jack Kent Cook brought him there for a reason, bc the Lakers couldn't beat Boston without him so he felt he should be listened to and have his needs on style of play to be met not Baylor's. Butch felt Elgin was the OG of the team and again Elgin played the "right" way with motion offense so he dug in and kept the keys in Elgin's hands not Wilt's. Wilt flat out told the media Butch was the "Dumbest coach he'd ever played for". Butch called Wilt "a load." because he felt Wilt was more a problem then a help. Team chemistry off the court and perhaps on the court was extremely tesnse at times in 1969 as a result and is cited to have been divided in half (Wilt's camp and Elgin's camp).
* Later Lakers coaches such as Joe Mullaney were not as bad compromising and so the tensions quieted down in the remaining seasons. Wilt and Elgin though disagreeing and compromising on styles of play do appear to have had at least a professional level of respect for one another unlike with Wilt and the first coach.
* West was unaffected by all of the chemistry issues due to being more outside jump shot oriented (which was fine with both triangle or motion offense) and a personality that got along with both Baylor and Wilt
* West was in his prime and perhaps part of his peak the entire time all 3 players were on the court together.
* Wilt was past his prime for basically half the games they played together (he was in his prime still only in 1969, past it during and after 1970 after his severe leg injury)
* Baylor was past his prime for basically all the games they played together due to multiple knee surgeries and age (34+) but still looks to have surprisingly great moves on film
* Wilt averaged 21.1ppg, 20.6rpg, 4.4apg, 58FG%, 44.6mpg in these games
* West averaged 25.8ppg, 6.7apg, 4.4 rpg, 50FG% 38.7mpg in these games
* Baylor averaged 22.3ppg, 9.6rpg, 5.0apg, 47FG% 38mpg in these games

As a trio in the Playoffs:
* Only two Playoff runs were made with all three players playing together, 1969 and 1970 for 36 total games.
* Baylor and Wilt's scoring and offensive production both dropped off probably due to age and roles and perhaps some of the chemistry issues (Wilt's post ups didn't offer as much ball movement so he probably got less possessions dictated be given to him in particular under coach Butch VB)
* West, the only one really close to (or at) their peak still picked it up and took more shots and hit more shots for markedly greater scoring production vs regular season
* Wilt averaged 18ppg, 23.4rpg, 54FG% 46.8mpg in these games
* West averaged 31.1ppg, 7.7apg, 3.8rpg, 46FG% 44.1mpg in these games
* Baylor averaged 17ppg, 9.4rpg, 4.4ap, 41FG% 36.3mpg in these games - maybe end of the season affecting him more due to age for these games since minutes are also lower than West/Wilt

As a trio in the Finals:
* Only two Finals runs were made with all three players playing together, 1969 and 1970 both were 7 game series that were lost for 14 total games
* Controversially in 1969 no doubt due to all the power struggles behind the scenes Wilt was told he was not allowed back in the final minutes of game 7 by coach Butch VB after sitting for a few minutes to quiet down a strained knee - despite asking to return to the game. This may or may not have cost them the series and the coach was fired after this series and decision.
* Wilt and the Lakers get criticized to an extent for Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals for not capitalizing on Willis Reeds severe injury and their lack of a competent backup center. In game 6 Wilt greatly capitalized on this and went off for 45 points and 27 rebounds.
* Just the same Wilt does not often get enough credit for even playing a single playoff game that season let alone through the Finals. With 1970 medical knowledge he rehabbed an injury himself that would often end other players careers or take at least an entire year to heal. He came back literally within the same season due to rehabbing by as he stated, watching what they did with race horses (walking them through cool waters for chilled resistance training) Just an interesting fact about Wilt being smart about taking care of himself and maintaining his athleticism so he was available instead of unavailable for important games.
* Wilt averaged 17.5ppg, 24.6rpg, 3.5apg, 55FG%, 47.4mpg in these Finals
* West averaged 34.6ppg, 7.6apg, 4.1rpg, 47FG%, 45.9mpg in these Finals
* Baylor averaged 17.9ppg, 10.8rpg, 4.3apg, 44FG%, 38.3mpg in these Finals - markedly less minutes than the other two again probably due to age/injury

Apologies the bullet points are a bit scattered. Just gathering my thoughts as I create a video about these guys. I'll share it here when completed - really amazing to watch all 3 on the floor together, you get this impression they could light up other teams relentlessly when dialed in. But you can see they have to figure it out and can look cumbersome and make mistakes at times as well.

Gotterdammerung
01-19-2022, 09:37 PM
Excellent post.

I have been looking high and low and everywhere for any footage on that last great Wilt game, the Game 6 of 1970 Finals where he scored 45 and pulled down 27.

A few months ago I found actual footage on this board, but oddly enough, it only showed the Lakers' mistakes or missed shots, turnovers in that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRpBiMKwF4&ab_channel=70sFan
:kobe:

hiphopanonymous
01-19-2022, 10:19 PM
Excellent post.

I have been looking high and low and everywhere for any footage on that last great Wilt game, the Game 6 of 1970 Finals where he scored 45 and pulled down 27.

A few months ago I found actual footage on this board, but oddly enough, it only showed the Lakers' mistakes or missed shots, turnovers in that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRpBiMKwF4&ab_channel=70sFan
:kobe:

Yeah I have some low quality clips of a few of Wilt's field goals from that 45 point game. They appear to be from the same "source" only unfortunately it's not been digitized in HD - what I think happened is it appears they were extracted that old school method by literally taking scissors and "cutting" the raw footage out (from the source 70's fan found). It looks as if to show the Lakers mistakes not because the filmers were trying to do that but because basically all the good shit was "cut" out to produce a tape of the Lakers and Wilt's highlights at one point. The real question is now, where the hell are those highlights now that 70's fan found that original source which we now know has already had the good stuff removed from it. My suspicion is the NBA has the good clips because the field goals I saw of Wilt from that game are from the NBA's archives

La Frescobaldi
01-19-2022, 11:18 PM
Yeah I have some low quality clips of a few of Wilt's field goals from that 45 point game. They appear to be from the same "source" only unfortunately it's not been digitized in HD - what I think happened is it appears they were extracted that old school method by literally taking scissors and "cutting" the raw footage out (from the source 70's fan found). It looks as if to show the Lakers mistakes not because the filmers were trying to do that but because basically all the good shit was "cut" out to produce a tape of the Lakers and Wilt's highlights at one point. The real question is now, where the hell are those highlights now that 70's fan found that original source which we now know has already had the good stuff removed from it. My suspicion is the NBA has the good clips because the field goals I saw of Wilt from that game are from the NBA's archives

The explanation is pretty simple even if it seems weird today.
First off, most NBA games in those days, were never recorded. The networks would broadcast them, but they would run the cameras “open” which means they didn’t record anything to the tape. Film was expensive and those were just basketball games.
Second of all, if a game did get recorded, just like you say, they would cut the film for highlight footage. That is exactly how film was edited right up until it was abandoned as a medium oh maybe twenty years ago. Razor blades.

So then they would splice those tapes together, run off copies of that two or three minutes of footage, and mail them to their local tv station affiliates so people could see the highlights. If you didn’t live right in the area you didn’t see game footage until three or four days or a week after the game. See, movie studios would take care to make an entire copy of the work before they cut it into strips, because think of the expense of reshooting a scene if you EFF’d it up… but tv? Why do all that?
And you would see the same footage two or three times, on the 5:00 news, the 6:00 news, the 10:00 news .

And so by mid or late 60s, high school and college coaches all over the country were calling up the networks and asking for highlight tapes. Showing kids how to ball, you follow? And by early ‘70s it was already pretty organized into a money maker, hundreds or thousands of tapes of Jerry West or Wilt footage went out to high schools all over. Walt Frazier & Earl Monroe were insanely popular little videos because of their elite footwork and defense… and then by later in the 70s VHS just changed everything. Every kid in every locker room in America was watching new clips of Bill Walton & Kareem right along the older stuff with Jerry West & Thief Frazier.