PDA

View Full Version : Tony Allen is the best perimeter 1on1 defender of all time

Micku
01-26-2022, 07:56 PM
How true is that statement to you guys?

Kobe, Curry and KD mentioned how Tony Allen is probably the best defender they ever faced.

And he has plenty of videos of just making it difficult for them.

Tony Allen was amazing at defending KD in his MVP season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um96aNyokXc

Tony Allen vs Kobe in 08.

Tony Allen vs Curry in 15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KctZoGSBrFU

I think he is definitely up there with some of the bests that ever did it.

ralph_i_el
01-26-2022, 07:59 PM
He definitely has a case. It's hard to quantify, so there will always be arguments for other guys.

GrayGoat
01-26-2022, 07:59 PM
No he’s not. He was very good. I’d put Ron Artest above him. For whatever reason people seem to think perimeter players that can’t shoot must be great defenders

Kawhi_Why_Not
01-26-2022, 08:00 PM
Kaperfect locked down lebron and giannis.

I don't think anybody else can claim that. He has a 20 inch co*ck as well, that keeps him happy.

beasted
01-26-2022, 08:09 PM
Kaperfect locked down lebron and giannis.

I don't think anybody else can claim that. He has a 20 inch co*ck as well, that keeps him happy.

How do you measure something while it's in your mouth?

3ba11
01-26-2022, 08:26 PM
Tony Allen was a great defender, but he was never called the best defender in the league like jordan routinely was (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GilQsS3oifM&t=02m47s) and still is (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R2JnwdxwTAQ&t=53s)..

So Jordan has a superior case obviously, while also being the goat offensive player - so his goat offense occurred despite being worn down from being the league's best defender

1987_Lakers
01-26-2022, 08:28 PM
As far as man defense? He's the best ever.

PeroAntic
01-26-2022, 08:37 PM

:lebronamazed:

:yaohappy:

SouBeachTalents
01-26-2022, 08:38 PM
Tony Allen was a great defender, but he was never called the best defender in the league like jordan routinely was (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GilQsS3oifM&t=02m47s) and still is (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R2JnwdxwTAQ&t=53s)..

So Jordan has a superior case obviously, while also being the goat offensive player - so his goat offense occurred despite being worn down from being the league's best defender
Jordan was never the best defender in the league, esp in an era with so many elite centers.

PeroAntic
01-26-2022, 08:40 PM
Tony Allen was amazing at defending KD in his MVP season.

Damn, first ten seconds and already there is Westbrooking to cringe about lol

3ba11
01-26-2022, 09:05 PM
Jordan was never the best defender in the league, esp in an era with so many elite centers.

I'll take Jerry West's word over yours

And regardless of what you think about bigs - a lot of respected people thought Jordan was better than them, whereas no one says that about Allen

Kawhi_Why_Not
01-26-2022, 09:07 PM

Measured it while it was in your favorite players mouth and he was eliminating him. Pick one

Durant or LeBron in 2014

Harden in 2017

Embiid butler giannis curry in 2019

2X blowjobs from luka as well

Micku
01-27-2022, 11:37 PM

I think MJ was a better help defensive player for sure. He was all around the court in his prime. He had crazy energy.

Man to man tho? I don't know. Both of them has impressive showings. MJ guarded Magic, IT, Drexler, Penny, Reggie.

But Tony Allen guarded Kobe, KD, Curry and Klay. And this is from an era where it's harder to defend perimeter players.

ImKobe
01-27-2022, 11:47 PM
Wonder how good he could have been if he didn't blow his knee out on that dumb ass dunk attempt. The Celtics gave him a green light and PP was out, so he had a nice run as a starter in '07, averaging 17/6/4 2.4 stls a game on 52.7%FG for a 17-game stretch. I think he was supposed to be traded as well but avoided it because of that ACL injury, so he got to win a ring the next year.

https://youtu.be/Le8rMnL56w8

FultzNationRISE
01-27-2022, 11:52 PM
Wow.

OP apparently never heard of Lebron James.

ShawkFactory
01-28-2022, 12:02 AM
Hard to make that claim when he wasn't ever really playing major minutes. In spurts he was as lock down as it gets though.

FireDavidKahn
01-28-2022, 12:32 AM
No he’s not. He was very good. I’d put Ron Artest above him. For whatever reason people seem to think perimeter players that can’t shoot must be great defenders

...Perimeter players who can't shoot and barely have an offensive game are great defenders which is the only reason they can stick in the NBA

iamgine
01-28-2022, 12:53 AM
No, Matisse Thybulle is the best perimeter 1on1 defender of all time.

LeCola
01-28-2022, 07:10 AM
Just check DPOY winners.

So candidates are:

Payton
Jordan
Artest
Kawhi
Etc.

RogueBorg
01-28-2022, 01:13 PM
Wow.

You mean the Lebron James who hasn't made an All-NBA Defensive Team in his 30's? That Lebron James?

fsvr54
01-28-2022, 02:04 PM
In my opinion he is. Most underrated player in NBA history. Deserved a DPOY or two.

Micku
01-28-2022, 09:52 PM
Just check DPOY winners.

So candidates are:

Payton
Jordan
Artest
Kawhi
Etc.

You could do it for Defensive all teams too. I think Kobe and Wade beat Tony Allen. But they weren't really better than Tony Allen man to man.

Although Kobe if he wanted to, could be really great man to man. Wade was a very good help defender and a solid man to man defender. But Tony Allen, that's all he did was defend. And he did it extremely well.

ClipperRevival
01-31-2022, 10:17 PM
He is in that GOAT tier list for sure. If we are talking on the ball, perimeter D and trying to keep guys in front of you and also being able to jump passing lanes. Being shorter helps. Allen was 6'4". You need light, quick feet to be able to slide and keep guys in front of you,

To me, the GOATs for this criteria is, in no order:

Payton
MJ
Allen

ClipperRevival
01-31-2022, 10:25 PM

Barkley, Ainge, West, etc all said at some point MJ was THE best defender in the league. Look it up babyboi.

ClipperRevival
01-31-2022, 10:28 PM
Wow.

https://c.tenor.com/mx9fNn1S4PwAAAAC/spit-take.gif

ClipperRevival
01-31-2022, 10:33 PM
I think MJ was a better help defensive player for sure. He was all around the court in his prime. He had crazy energy.

Man to man tho? I don't know. Both of them has impressive showings. MJ guarded Magic, IT, Drexler, Penny, Reggie.

But Tony Allen guarded Kobe, KD, Curry and Klay. And this is from an era where it's harder to defend perimeter players.

Blasphemy bro.

MJ was 6'6" but had the quickness of an AI/KJ. He could slide/move all day. Do people forget this guy is the all time leader in reg season and playoffs PPG? He had to sacrifice SOME D at times. But reality is, he is without a doubt, one of the GOAT tier defenders ever, regardless of position. People really don't realize how ELITE MJ was on D. Guess who is 4th all time in SPG at 2.35? MJ was a GOAT tier ball hawk on the perimeter.

Full Court
01-31-2022, 10:33 PM
Wow.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F1BGPLg0 KIG7zpIwLQc%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

ClipperRevival
01-31-2022, 10:36 PM
You mean the Lebron James who hasn't made an All-NBA Defensive Team in his 30's? That Lebron James?

https://c.tenor.com/pvWRJNnBh3UAAAAC/hiding-the-simpsons.gif

WhiteKyrie
01-31-2022, 10:38 PM
He’s amazing for a role player who survived in the league off his quality on ball defense exclusively.

But guys with even better ability in a similar predicament or hell even carrying offensive loads that T. Allen never dreamed of, have done as great or better job than him on ball.

Robertson
Dumars
Rodman
Jordan
Pippen
GP
E. Jones
Kobe
Artest
Kawhi
Klay

I don’t think Tony Allen was on another tier of man on ball defense than any of those guys at all. And that’s not a knock. He’s up there. Those are some of the greatest on ball defenders ever.

ClipperRevival
01-31-2022, 10:54 PM
He’s amazing for a role player who survived in the league off his quality on ball defense exclusively.

But guys with even better ability in a similar predicament or hell even carrying offensive loads that T. Allen never dreamed of, have done as great or better job than him on ball.

Robertson
Dumars
Rodman
Jordan
Pippen
GP
E. Jones
Kobe
Artest
Kawhi
Klay

I don’t think Tony Allen was on another tier of man on ball defense than any of those guys at all. And that’s not a knock. He’s up there. Those are some of the greatest on ball defenders ever.

80's had shorter 2 guards, which meant they were probably better at on the ball D.

Robertson is so overlooked. GOAT steal generator. As is Dumars and Coop.

Micku
02-01-2022, 01:54 AM
Blasphemy bro.

MJ was 6'6" but had the quickness of an AI/KJ. He could slide/move all day. Do people forget this guy is the all time leader in reg season and playoffs PPG? He had to sacrifice SOME D at times. But reality is, he is without a doubt, one of the GOAT tier defenders ever, regardless of position. People really don't realize how ELITE MJ was on D. Guess who is 4th all time in SPG at 2.35? MJ was a GOAT tier ball hawk on the perimeter.

MJ was a beast at playing the passing lane. The best I ever seen. And he was an amazing help defender. Especially in the era where they post up a lot. He would come off the weak side, and with his big ass hands, he was able to bother a bunch of post players. But I'm not talking about help defense. Who was the better one on one.

MJ was great man to man too, but this is where I would debate at the possibility that Tony Allen was better.

It's hard to say because of the era differences, but Tony Allen has defended some of the best scorers at the perimeter position. I think the best scorer is MJ. But Tony Allen defended KD, Kobe, Wade, Curry, and etc. And this is from a league that is more perimeter friendly than MJ's era. And since that was Tony Allen's only job, you can see that the most.

MJ had more responsibilities. You can see him lock down someone and has made it harder on many great offensive players. But I think Tony Allen faced against more scorers in his era. It was the most impressive performances I seen from a perimeter player of just locking down great scorers.

Like I seen Michael Cooper bother Bird. He stuck to him like glue. I seen Pippen/MJ on Magic. I seen Rodman on Bird. Dumars on MJ. Payton on MJ. MJ on Reggie. I seen a bit of Sidney Moncrief. Miami Heat LeBron. Kobe when he is focus. But Tony Allen has many great performances of slowing down a bunch of great scorers.

Robertson
Dumars
Rodman
Jordan
Pippen
GP
E. Jones
Kobe
Artest
Kawhi
Klay

I think he is better than Klay for sure. Although Klay is amazing. But you can hear it through Klay own peers with Curry/KD and even Kobe that of all the players that guarded them, Tony Allen is the first name that they would say that defended the best. Although there are a couple of other players that they would mention, Tony Allen is always up there.

I think he is better than Eddie Jones too. I don't recall Eddie Jones getting that much praise by his peers, although he was a very good defender.

Kobe was great when he focused on it.

I got to check out more Robertson one of these days tho. Rodman at his peak was a beast tho. And Dumars doesn't get talked about enough for sure.

ClipperRevival
02-01-2022, 10:48 PM
MJ was a beast at playing the passing lane. The best I ever seen. And he was an amazing help defender. Especially in the era where they post up a lot. He would come off the weak side, and with his big ass hands, he was able to bother a bunch of post players. But I'm not talking about help defense. Who was the better one on one.

MJ was great man to man too, but this is where I would debate at the possibility that Tony Allen was better.

It's hard to say because of the era differences, but Tony Allen has defended some of the best scorers at the perimeter position. I think the best scorer is MJ. But Tony Allen defended KD, Kobe, Wade, Curry, and etc. And this is from a league that is more perimeter friendly than MJ's era. And since that was Tony Allen's only job, you can see that the most.

MJ had more responsibilities. You can see him lock down someone and has made it harder on many great offensive players. But I think Tony Allen faced against more scorers in his era. It was the most impressive performances I seen from a perimeter player of just locking down great scorers.

Like I seen Michael Cooper bother Bird. He stuck to him like glue. I seen Pippen/MJ on Magic. I seen Rodman on Bird. Dumars on MJ. Payton on MJ. MJ on Reggie. I seen a bit of Sidney Moncrief. Miami Heat LeBron. Kobe when he is focus. But Tony Allen has many great performances of slowing down a bunch of great scorers.

I think he is better than Klay for sure. Although Klay is amazing. But you can hear it through Klay own peers with Curry/KD and even Kobe that of all the players that guarded them, Tony Allen is the first name that they would say that defended the best. Although there are a couple of other players that they would mention, Tony Allen is always up there.

I think he is better than Eddie Jones too. I don't recall Eddie Jones getting that much praise by his peers, although he was a very good defender.

Kobe was great when he focused on it.

I got to check out more Robertson one of these days tho. Rodman at his peak was a beast tho. And Dumars doesn't get talked about enough for sure.

I see your points and can't say I disagree with anything. I just think there isn't much to separate Allen from MJ when it comes to on the ball D.

MJ checked all the boxes. Ultra quick, explosive, huge hands, long arms and most importantly, DESIRE to play D. But obviously a huge factor in all of this is Allen wasn't expected to score while MJ had to carry the O load every game. Imagine if MJ just could focus on D?

La Frescobaldi
02-03-2022, 09:59 AM
Glove did have his times however

jayfan
02-03-2022, 10:08 AM
Rodman is being recklessly overlooked in this discussion.

Forget about his Bulls years. Look at his Pistons years.

Artest, by the way, acknowledges Tony Allen and himself, but says Rodman was the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAEaQ_AUS3o

La Frescobaldi
02-03-2022, 12:51 PM
Rodman is being recklessly overlooked in this discussion.

Forget about his Bulls years. Look at his Pistons years.

Artest, by the way, acknowledges Tony Allen and himself, but says Rodman was the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAEaQ_AUS3o

Yeah.
And those guys on there, dg is talking about Gary Payton Scottie Pippen D Rodman and also themselves both Artest & Green.

That is a real serious list of guys you know for perimeter.
Artest talking about how guys would go dnp rather than face him hahahahaha

But also Kobe 8 had his days he did have his days of great defense on the perimeter although like several have mentioned (Artest himself, Matt Barnes, Robert Horry which all were actual teammates but who also had played against him)… Kobe’s one weakness was the post defense. For myself I couldn’t put him on such a high list for that reason. I dream of who can stop the greatest scorcher offensive post men like James Worthy you know? That amazing spin and fadeaway off the post he had. Kobe ain’t on that list. But Tony is, yes. Artest is. D Green is. Dennis Johnson stopped him quite a few times off of switches.
Older guys like Lakers Cooper not getting respect on here, or old Bobby Jones.

DJ factually did pull some seriously great defense esp. in his early Sonix days - which to me is STILL the greatest one man show championship team ever - although he wasn’t always quite as consistent later on. Still it is hard to argue with his 9 1st or 2nd Team Ds in a row that’s some stellar years of defending the league that definitely has to be said.