PDA

View Full Version : Draymond explains that Kerr actually is responsible for a lot of the Warriors style.

Kblaze8855
01-28-2022, 05:48 PM
He’s always been one of the “That team barely needs a coach” type to some fans for obvious reasons at times but apparently he did do a lot to make them play the way they do.

"I remember early meetings and early practices looking at Steve like he was out of his ****ing mind," Green told Redick. "This guy's preaching ball movement and 'Hey Steph, don't hold the ball, swing the ball!'"

Green noted that Jackson's offense had relied on a lot more pick-and-roll and isolations than what Kerr wanted, and it was an offensive system that had given Warriors players confidence.

"When Steve came in, he's like, 'Move the ball, move the ball!' I'm watching Steph Curry go into mixing someone, [Kerr's] like, 'Pass the ball!'"

Green said he approached Kerr one day to say that players like Curry and Klay Thompson needed to dribble the ball more to create their own shots. That's when Kerr imparted basketball wisdom onto Green that stuck with him.

"He said, 'The ball will always find the guy who's supposed to get the shot.'

"And I didn't understand that then. I'm like, 'Okay, you keep telling us to swing the ball, it's not gonna find them.' And sure enough, as we bought into the system that he was bringing to us, the ball always found Steph, it always found Klay. It always found the guys it needed to find. And it was just really a matter of us buying in."

"I think it's also a philosophical thing," Kerr said. "My background is the triangle with Phil Jackson and the motion offense of Popovich where more people are touching the ball, and I suppose I'm a little more egalitarian in my approach ... I feel maybe because I was a role player myself, I feel there's a power in everybody touching the ball and everybody sharing in the offense."

I was gonna do a whole coaching thing but….meh. I’ll just say it’s good the players at least realize he made a difference.

PeroAntic
01-28-2022, 06:43 PM
Kerr is one of the coolest guys in the history of the league, especially considering his resume. Hes like the Pep Guardiola of basketball, just without the arrogance...

1987_Lakers
01-28-2022, 07:03 PM
I thought this was obvious the moment he got the job, if you compare the offense from 2014 with Mark Jackson to 2015 with Kerr the difference is night and day.

Kawhi_Why_Not
01-28-2022, 07:17 PM
He was questionable as a general manager with suns, pairing up past his prime Shaq with run n gun suns seemed random.

As a coach is when he has really thrived. One of his main changes was evolving draymond from a random bench player to a starter and even leader in minutes in 2016 playoffs.

FireDavidKahn
01-28-2022, 09:43 PM
This is the same for any coach. The coach teaches his system to his players and then it is up to the players to execute it.

Micku
01-28-2022, 09:48 PM
Yeah. It was pretty much obvious. Mark Jackson had Curry do more of a traditional pg role with him holding the ball.

When Kerr got in there, he had Curry move a lot more off the ball. He also did a mixture of everything with the plays. A little bit of the triangle, a little bit of horns, a lot of the motion offense, and etc.

The coach establish a plan, but it's up the players to execute it and believe it. Obviously, it worked tho.

tpols
01-28-2022, 09:51 PM
Green told Redick. "This guy's preaching ball movement and 'Hey Steph, don't hold the ball, swing the ball!''

And there it is. Under preacher mark jackson curry had 50% more dimes and dribbling. Playing off ball more unlocked the teams dynasty ceiling.

Spurs m8
01-28-2022, 09:52 PM
Yeah I probably didn't give Kerr enough credit at the start, but the moving of the ball and the green lighting of non-traditional shots at 3, really helped the Warriors shine

3ba11
01-28-2022, 09:53 PM
And there it is. Under preacher mark jackson curry had 50% more dimes and dribbling. Playing off ball more unlocked the teams dynasty ceiling.

I wonder where Kerr was taught to never hold the ball (have low hold-time) and move the ball.. Oh wait.. I know.. The triangle... that's where.

It's great that Kerr learned to move the ball from MJ's dynasty but Kerr was only allowed to do that because Curry's skillset allowed - if Curry was a spotty-shooting ball-dominator, they couldn't run that offense.

Micku
01-28-2022, 10:00 PM
I wonder where Kerr was taught to have low hold-time and move the ball.. Oh wait.. I know.. The triangle... that's where.

It's great that Kerr learned to move the ball from MJ's dynasty but Kerr was only allowed to do that because Curry's skillset allowed - if Curry was a spotty-shooting ball-dominator, they couldn't run that offense.

He actually credited a lot to the Spurs offense. Spurs from 13 and 14 was beautiful basketball to watch. So, Kerr borrowed a lot from that. But Kerr just admired how the Spurs played basketball period during the Tim Duncan era.

Kerr had played four seasons (and won two titles) under Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and had admired how the Spurs' passing helped foster a selfless, team-first culture.

"It wasn't just play your best five guys to death," Kerr says. "It was play everybody. You go deep into your rotation, even if it means losing a couple of games in the regular season, just empower everybody. It's kind of the beauty of basketball, the old cliché about the total being greater than the sum of its parts -- I believe in all of that. Five guys have to operate together, but the other seven on the bench, or nine, however many, they've got to feel part of it."

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseWarriors/how-steve-kerr-revolutionized-golden-state-warriors-offense-charcuterie-board

All coaches around the league and even players really admired how Pop and the Spurs played. Like I said, it really peaked in 13 and 14.

But the triangle was big too tho. They do have some sets where they run the triangle. Spurs do that too, but it's more of the motion/hybrid offense. And Pop I think is influence by how some Euro teams play.

3ba11
01-28-2022, 10:38 PM
He actually credited a lot to the Spurs offense. Spurs from 13 and 14 was beautiful basketball to watch. So, Kerr borrowed a lot from that. But Kerr just admired how the Spurs played basketball period during the Tim Duncan era.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseWarriors/how-steve-kerr-revolutionized-golden-state-warriors-offense-charcuterie-board

All coaches around the league and even players really admired how Pop and the Spurs played. Like I said, it really peaked in 13 and 14.

But the triangle was big too tho. They do have some sets where they run the triangle. Spurs do that too, but it's more of the motion/hybrid offense. And Pop I think is influence by how some Euro teams play.

He credited the Bulls more than the Spurs on many occasions because the Bulls had four #1 offenses with goat margins above league ortg - so the Bulls offense was far superior to the Spurs despite far less offensive help

Furthermore, the Bulls picked Kerr up off waivers (MJ saved his career) and the Bulls are the team that he won most of the titles with - so he always credits the Bulls for his success more than the Spurs - did you see the Last Dance?.. So you're just lying as usual.. carry on lebron stans.

Micku
01-28-2022, 11:49 PM
He credited the Bulls more than the Spurs on many occasions because the Bulls had four #1 offenses with goat margins above league ortg - so the Bulls offense was far superior to the Spurs despite far less offensive help

Furthermore, the Bulls picked Kerr up off waivers (MJ saved his career) and the Bulls are the team that he won most of the titles with - so he always credits the Bulls for his success more than the Spurs - did you see the Last Dance?.. So you're just lying as usual.. carry on lebron stans.

He does use the triangle. Especially within the post. You can see it on the floor too. He usually use Dray. Sometimes Klay for a post up, and the triangle cuts. But you can see him credits Pop and uses a lot of his plays too. He say what type of offense he uses here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MIlznstac#t=4m15s

But he use a lot of motion. There are plenty of reports of him and videos crediting both, but he uses a lot of the Spurs offense. Pretty much stole the plays lol. And he always leaned on them for some stuff. Culture and play style.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/How-Steve-Kerr-leaned-on-Spurs-for-inspiration-16675264.php

How Steve Kerr leaned on Spurs for inspiration during Warriors’ down years

“It’s not easy, but that’s when you really learn how important your process is and how important your culture is,” said Kerr, whose Warriors are tied for the NBA’s best record at 19-4. “If you can’t maintain your culture during the down times, then you don’t really have a culture. It’s just dependent on winning. The culture has to survive losing stretches, and that’s the beauty of what Pop has built over the last 20-plus years, almost 30.

You can see it here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY6_bHropV8

Pop also use the triangle sometimes, but modern offense has evolved it a bit to fit within how offense is played today. And as I said before, basically stole the Spurs play book. You can see Pop saying like it's facing against yourself too here:

“It’s like playing yourself, in a way,” Popovich says. “Both teams are interested in moving the ball. We’re two good offensive teams and two good defensive teams. Unselfish people. Who’s going to play better for the 48 minutes on a given night? Who’s going have fewer turnovers? Who’s going to shoot more uncontested shots? Who’s going to rebound the basketball?”
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/popovich-facing-against-warriors-playing-yourself

Kerr gives a lot credit and steal a lot of the offense from Pop and other coaches. But he did use the principle of sharing the ball within the triangle too. The reason he credits Pop and their motion offense a lot because of Pop ability to adapt to his personal and keep the culture. But most coaches and players in the league thought that.

3ba11
01-28-2022, 11:54 PM
He does use the triangle. Especially within the post. You can see it on the floor too. He usually use Dray. Sometimes Klay for a post up, and the triangle cuts. But you can see him credits Pop and uses a lot of his plays too. He say what type of offense he uses here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MIlznstac#t=4m15s

But he use a lot of motion. There are plenty of reports of him and videos crediting both, but he uses a lot of the Spurs offense. Pretty much stole the plays lol. And he always leaned on them for some stuff. Culture and play style.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/How-Steve-Kerr-leaned-on-Spurs-for-inspiration-16675264.php

You can see it here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY6_bHropV8

Pop also use the triangle sometimes, but modern offense has evolved it a bit to fit within how offense is played today. And as I said before, basically stole the Spurs play book. You can see Pop saying like it's facing against yourself too here:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/popovich-facing-against-warriors-playing-yourself

Kerr gives a lot credit and steal a lot of the offense from Pop and other coaches. But he did use the principle of sharing the ball within the triangle too. The reason he credits Pop and their motion offense a lot because of Pop ability to adapt to his personal and keep the culture. But most coaches and players in the league thought that.

It all started with the offense that famously doesn't have a point guard role and was "equal-opportunity" - the triangle - the Spurs copied these concepts of no ball-dominance and equal-opportunity... Kerr was able to thrive in the Spurs offense and play under pressure because of his experience in the triangle.

I don't need to post a bunch of links to support this because it's common knowledge.. Jordan gave Kerr a career and the rest is history..

Four #1 offenses and far superior offenses to the Spurs, with less help.. that's how Kerr learned to play

Micku
01-29-2022, 12:07 AM
It all started with the offense that famously doesn't have a point guard role and was "equal-opportunity" - the triangle - the Spurs copied these concepts of no ball-dominance and equal-opportunity... Kerr was able to thrive in the Spurs offense and play under pressure because of his experience in the triangle.

I don't need to post a bunch of links to support this because it's common knowledge.. Jordan gave Kerr a career and the rest is history..

Four #1 offenses and far superior offenses to the Spurs, with less help.. that's how Kerr learned to play

Well yeah. He does owe MJ everything in terms of a successful nba career. He said it himself. And P.Jax and Tex Winter foundation of the triangle is still being used today, but only in short bursts with the actual play book.

It's just that he credits the Spurs a lot and use a lot of their plays. As shown lol! You get articles of him saying it, video, you can find other coaches and fans of the teams mentioning it.

The Spurs adapt to whatever personal that they have, but use it within the team concept. So, a lot of players sacrifice their stats.

For the GSW case, the triangle was ran with Dray at the post for play making. Since he has a high IQ, and the triangle run off of cuts and picks off the ball, it provided with a movement off the ball which he could pass to. They used it with Bogut too when he was there. But the motion offense is to exploit the weakness of the defense with quickness and play movement. Which the Spurs use a lot. And so does the GSW. They are the most hybrid type of offense.

The reason why he credits them a lot is because of their adaption and teamwork.

tpols
01-29-2022, 12:09 AM
I wonder where Kerr was taught to never hold the ball (have low hold-time) and move the ball.. Oh wait.. I know.. The triangle... that's where.

Phil Jackson actually implemented the triangle. Not MJ. Before Phil MJ had stretches where he was "Westbrooking" things. Like when he averaged a triple double for that one long stretch. He was that great that Westbrooking worked... But you can't give him credit for the triangle. He listened to Phil... unlike LeBron when blatt tried to implement the Princeton offense... and that matters a ton but he didn't implement the bulls ball movement offense.