PDA

View Full Version : Game 6 Bulls vs Jazz Finals in HD - how does it compare vs the modern game?

hiphopanonymous
02-03-2022, 01:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quT1ZhaPz1U

Some random observations:

* Watching it at first I got the feeling like modern teams would light both of these teams "pound the air out of the ball for a last minute 2" strategy with 3 point shooting BUT:
* I watched traveling and illegal defense get called a ridiculous amount of times compared to today's game. The rules were definitely probably contributing to the sluggish looking style. To the degree I feel like several players today (like Harden) would barely get a good possession and you can kiss the double step backs of today and several other moves good bye.
* That said .... the play still looks quite cumbersome and clunky, and a lot more players than I expected both don't look like confident ball handlers, nor good shooters.

But I'm curious what other peoples observations are when they watch a game like that and compare it HD to HD with what we like to watch today

Dagoods
02-03-2022, 10:19 AM
Steph Curry wouldn't be able to take/make as many circus shots, he'll probably come off the bench just like his daddy did;
LeBron would get pounded each and every single time he would drive to the basket;
KD would be a tough matchup but an astute defender (such as Pippen or Rodman) would be able to contain him.

Gimmedarock
02-05-2022, 05:05 PM
Watched some when ESPN showed it last year. Some of the most boring basketball I’ve seen. Guys were literally walking the ball up the court every possession. No movement. Shooting was terrible. The only player that seemed to have any skill was Jordan and he didn’t look great. I know it was an older version. Just terrible gameplay.

Take any decent modern team and they blow those guys off the court. Truth.

Spurs m8
02-05-2022, 05:14 PM
Imagine bron actually having to play against some proper D and physicality.

Also without wide open spacing

Imagine they called travels properly on him too lol

Man he's such a little b1tch

ShawkFactory
02-05-2022, 05:18 PM
Imagine bron actually having to play against some proper D and physicality.

Also without wide open spacing

Imagine they called travels properly on him too lol

Man he's such a little b1tch

The thread wasn’t about Bron you fvcking dweeb

3ba11
02-05-2022, 05:20 PM
It's crazy to imagine Jordan with today's open paint where defenses GIVE UP midrange and allow enough room for in-stride layups on every play.. jordan wouldn't need his hop-step or hangtime, dipsy-do shots though, which would be a travesty - he wouldn't need half of his great moves or shots in today's spaced-out, hands-off, beginner format

bison
02-05-2022, 05:23 PM
The thread wasn’t about Bron you fvcking dweeb

OP was asking for comparisons to the modern game and Spurs m8 provided an example (a very salient one to be sure) :confusedshrug:

Phoenix
02-05-2022, 05:24 PM
This was late 90s with two aging teams, not surprising that the gameplay looks sluggish. I'd be interested in revisiting something like the 93 Finals when all the principle players were in their prime and the game hasn't yet succumb to that mid/late 90s brawler-ball brought in by teams like the Knicks, Pacers and Heat. Some of those matchups were truly brutal to watch in retrospect.

But yeah, a game of this vintage( 24 years ago) is like watching a game from 1974 in 1998. Different rules, styles, and skillsets.

ShawkFactory
02-05-2022, 05:49 PM
OP was asking for comparisons to the modern game and Spurs m8 provided an example (a very salient one to be sure) :confusedshrug:

No he didn't :lol

OP made a thoughtful post and asked for a nuanced answer. I understand that dude isn't capable of giving one and thus reverts to "LEBRON!".

But it's still annoying.