PDA

View Full Version : Where's the massive wave of Chinese NBA players predicted after Yao's success?

hiphopanonymous
02-03-2022, 03:04 PM
There are 1.4 billion people in China and basketball is the NUMBER 1 most popular sport there. In the USA - population 327 million - it's still only the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport. Yao was the pride of their country reaching the worlds most competitive league in basketball since 2003 and I bet at the time every kid in China knew his name as much as US kids knew or know MJ or LeBron. No doubt inspiring an entire generation of hundreds of millions of children (over 200 million kids alone at any given time) to pursue/play/enjoy basketball with a now nearly 20 year old fact that you CAN make it in the NBA if you are a good enough player from China. Any kid that was 5 or under back in 2003 and could have and would have drawn inspiration from this has now had enough time to become elite NBA caliber from the earliest years possible. So where are they? What are your guys thoughts. I remember people predicting a huge wave as if the flood gates had opened up but we really haven't even reached occasional drip status let alone flood status. Seems like no matter how many people are playing and competing hard in China to play basketball we still have a surplus of Americans that we send to leagues over there as opposed to the other way around

https://i.insider.com/5d9fd6104af909575e6bf224?width=875&format=jpeg

FultzNationRISE
02-03-2022, 03:27 PM
I dunno.

fsvr54
02-03-2022, 03:31 PM
Basketball is definitely number 2, but maybe because I'm from urban areas. No one under 40 even talks about baseball.

nineiron
02-03-2022, 03:31 PM
Yao was over 7' tall.

how many normal ppl are going to aspire to be like him?

they did get the chance to see a normal sized Chinese player in Jeremy Lin. but they also saw the racism that Lin had to endure throughout his life as a Chinese man playing basketball in the USA.

FKAri
02-03-2022, 03:36 PM
CRISPR human trials on embryos only started in 2015. And only went to babies in 2018. We still have a couple decades before the NBA becomes all-Chinese. And I'm in no rush for that. It makes sense why the NBA is already catering to China. We should enjoy this era of homegrown albeit pathetic athletes while we still can.

hiphopanonymous
02-03-2022, 03:54 PM
Yao was over 7' tall.

how many normal ppl are going to aspire to be like him?

they did get the chance to see a normal sized Chinese player in Jeremy Lin. but they also saw the racism that Lin had to endure throughout his life as a Chinese man playing basketball in the USA.
So competitive minded individuals are afraid to become victims that's part of what's stopping them? If so then why was 70% of the NBA was black precisely 19 years after Earl Lloyd played his first NBA game and broke the mold despite additionally being a minority of the US population at the time. I also don't buy that height has anything to do with whether or not people can be inspired to enjoy playing and competing in a sport starting out as a 5 year old kid. They don't know what height they'll become they just play and if they so happen to become tall enough to play as a pro then great if not they play in lesser leagues no big deal isn't that how that works? How can you predict if you'll be 6-0 or 6-10 at 5 years old. Even if you think that was a big factor Lin entered the league 11 years ago. So anyone who was 9 years old at the time (plenty enough time to develop into NBA potential) is 20 years old now.

nineiron
02-03-2022, 04:03 PM
So competitive minded individuals are afraid to become victims that's part of what's stopping them? If so then why was 70% of the NBA was black precisely 19 years after Earl Lloyd played his first NBA game and broke the mold despite additionally being a minority of the US population at the time. I also don't buy that height has anything to do with whether or not people can be inspired to enjoy playing and competing in a sport starting out as a 5 year old kid. They don't know what height they'll become they just play and if they so happen to become tall enough to play as a pro then great if not they play in lesser leagues no big deal isn't that how that works? How can you predict if you'll be 6-0 or 6-10 at 5 years old. Even if you think that was a big factor Lin entered the league 11 years ago. So anyone who was 9 years old at the time (plenty enough time to develop into NBA potential) is 20 years old now.

watch the Jeremy Lin documentary. it's about not getting opportunities. most ppl in his shoes would have given up. Lin was an exception. not a coincidence that he made it into Harvard.

and, if your parents are 5'5" and 5'0' tall, you have a pretty good idea of what your height limitations are

hiphopanonymous
02-03-2022, 04:07 PM
watch the Jeremy Lin documentary. it's about not getting opportunities. most ppl in his shoes would have given up. Lin was an exception. not a coincidence that he made it into Harvard.

and, if your parents are 5'5" and 5'0' tall, you have a pretty good idea of what your height limitations are
I'll definitely check it out. I'm legit curious about this question and just playing a bit of devils advocate asking difficult questions - like just out of curiosity do you think in his story based on that documentary he experienced more racism or prejudice than what black or minority NBA players endured from 1951 to 1970 to go from Earl Lloyd breaking the mold to representing 70% of the league within 19 years? It just would seem hard to believe to me. Or even if it was equal - why did it not stop the group in question back in the 50's but it is allegedly stopping an even larger group right now?

nineiron
02-03-2022, 04:17 PM
I'll definitely check it out. I'm legit curious about this question and just playing a bit of devils advocate asking difficult questions - like just out of curiosity do you think in his story based on that documentary he experienced more racism or prejudice than what black or minority NBA players endured from 1951 to 1970 to go from Earl Lloyd breaking the mold to representing 70% of the league within 19 years? It just would seem hard to believe to me. Or even if it was equal - why did it not stop the group in question back in the 50's but it is allegedly stopping an even larger group right now?

i think it comes down to options.

maybe Earl Lloyd didn't have a lot of options in what he could pursue as a career?

in today's environment, there are plenty of options for Chinese kids to pursue when it comes to careers. they don't need to rely on just athletics. and if faced with all this racism in trying to get to the nba, why not just pick a different career where you don't have to deal with it?

hiphopanonymous
02-03-2022, 04:42 PM
i think it comes down to options.

maybe Earl Lloyd didn't have a lot of options in what he could pursue as a career?

in today's environment, there are plenty of options for Chinese kids to pursue when it comes to careers. they don't need to rely on just athletics. and if faced with all this racism in trying to get to the nba, why not just pick a different career where you don't have to deal with it?
I don't buy this for a few reasons: Dick Barnett got a PHD, Dave Bing became Mayor of Detroit, 99% of the NBA players that chose to play in the NBA from 1951 to 1970 got a college education of some sort and many including the aforementioned Earl Lloyd finished with a degree back when even getting a degree was less common - black or white. So, you really think they didn't have good options? People in China are passing on NBA careers with potential 30 million dollar contracts to be teachers and accountants and whatnot in the hybrid communist/capitalist Chinese economy or getting paid far less to continue to play in China? Idk. I also haven't watched the documentary so I don't want to sound ignorant here but I have a hard time believing Jeremy Lin experienced the equivalent of being outright denied access to hotels or restaurants with his own teammates? This happened to Earl Lloyd, Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain while they were in college, and it even happened to Elgin Baylor in the NBA and probably many other players where it went undocumented. To the degree these players would sit out games until the league made changes to stop doing business and exposing players to the wrong places and I'm sure they dealt with internal prejudices as well (early 1960's there was still a lingering "quota" and some other stigmas that had to be dismantled before aforementioned 70% could even be attained by 1970).

I guess I just don't buy it that 200 million Chinese grew up inspired by Yao's success but cowered in the face of adversity when this kind of thing has already been proven not to stop greatness on a smaller scale in an earlier part of NBA history. I would guess other things are preventing Chinese from flooding the NBA. Maybe it takes more time for them than 19 years because maybe there are other variables I'm missing. Maybe the wave just never comes, idk. It's an interesting thought and I will check out that Lin documentary I guess I just don't think it's convincing that it's a fear of overcoming prejudice given that the NBA as a business is far more inclusive minded than it has ever been, and that even if internal prejudices still exist and can come off as harsh it has been proven emphatically that it cannot stop a wave of great talent.

AlternativeAcc.
02-03-2022, 04:46 PM
Because they're not black you moron

Yoi already know the answer... blacks are much more athletic than Chinese.

Dumb thread

hiphopanonymous
02-03-2022, 05:00 PM

Dumb thread
If it was strictly this then let's simply shift the goalpost and ask why haven't they taken over a sizeable chunk the non black percentage of players which is still good for something like 26% (roughly 115 roster spots) of all 450 available NBA positions right now. 19 years in after Yao took center stage and 11 years after Lin not a single one of those roster spots is a player from China

nineiron
02-03-2022, 05:03 PM

Dumb thread

ah, you must be a bran stan.

how "athletic" is Curry? what about Larry Bird?

nineiron
02-03-2022, 05:06 PM
I don't buy this for a few reasons: Dick Barnett got a PHD, Dave Bing became Mayor of Detroit, 99% of the NBA players that chose to play in the NBA from 1951 to 1970 got a college education of some sort and many including the aforementioned Earl Lloyd finished with a degree back when even getting a degree was less common - black or white. So, you really think they didn't have good options? People in China are passing on NBA careers with potential 30 million dollar contracts to be teachers and accountants and whatnot in the hybrid communist/capitalist Chinese economy or getting paid far less to continue to play in China? Idk. I also haven't watched the documentary so I don't want to sound ignorant here but I have a hard time believing Jeremy Lin experienced the equivalent of being outright denied access to hotels or restaurants with his own teammates? This happened to Earl Lloyd, Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain while they were in college, and it even happened to Elgin Baylor in the NBA and probably many other players where it went undocumented. To the degree these players would sit out games until the league made changes to stop doing business and exposing players to the wrong places and I'm sure they dealt with internal prejudices as well (early 1960's there was still a lingering "quota" and some other stigmas that had to be dismantled before aforementioned 70% could even be attained by 1970).

I guess I just don't buy it that 200 million Chinese grew up inspired by Yao's success but cowered in the face of adversity when this kind of thing has already been proven not to stop greatness on a smaller scale in an earlier part of NBA history. I would guess other things are preventing Chinese from flooding the NBA. Maybe it takes more time for them than 19 years because maybe there are other variables I'm missing. Maybe the wave just never comes, idk. It's an interesting thought and I will check out that Lin documentary I guess I just don't think it's convincing that it's a fear of overcoming prejudice given that the NBA as a business is far more inclusive minded than it has ever been, and that even if internal prejudices still exist and can come off as harsh it has been proven emphatically that it cannot stop a wave of great talent.

blacks were facing racism EVERYWHERE, not just pro sports. so it made no difference which path they chose, they were going to encounter racism.

why would a Chinese person take the risk of devoting their entire life to make it to a league where they're just going to be mocked and humiliated?

Yao was a special case. with his size, you just couldn't deny him the opportunity.

the "potential 30 million dollar contracts" don't mean anything when only 0.0000001% of the population will make it to the nba.

Lebron23
02-03-2022, 05:19 PM
Yi Jianlian was the 2nd best Chinese player after Yao Ming. He is a talented player, but hegot some attitude problem that's why no NBA teams are willing to sign him again.

I considered Jeremy Lin a Taiwanese American.

fsvr54
02-03-2022, 05:25 PM
Yi Jianlian was the 2nd best Chinese player after Yao Ming. He is a better talented, but got some attitude problem that's why no NBA teams are willing to sign him again.

I considered Jeremy Lin a Taiwanese American.

What attitude problems did Smiling Yi have?

nineiron
02-03-2022, 05:46 PM

he was acting too "Chinese"

FireDavidKahn
02-03-2022, 05:46 PM
It takes a long time for a country to develop elite talent. China doesn't have the elite coaches/trainers/system that is available in the USA so naturally they aren't going to get the same quality of training.

The best trainers in the world are going to stay in the USA.

Lebron23
02-03-2022, 05:47 PM

https://daydaynews.cc/en/sports/yao-ming-officially-shot-yi-jianlian-suffered-a-bolt.html

nineiron
02-03-2022, 05:55 PM
It takes a long time for a country to develop elite talent. China doesn't have the elite coaches/trainers/system that is available in the USA so naturally they aren't going to get the same quality of training.

The best trainers in the world are going to stay in the USA.

did all those NBA players that were drafted out of high school have "elite coaches/trainers"?

and why can't these "elite coaches/trainers" fix Lebron's broken jumper?

Lebron23
02-03-2022, 06:02 PM
did all those NBA players that were drafted out of high school have "elite coaches/trainers"?

Get LeBron's dick out of your mouth. You are one annoying China Man. I'll bitch slap you back to China.

MrFonzworth
02-03-2022, 06:38 PM

:roll::roll:

fsvr54
02-03-2022, 08:27 PM
https://daydaynews.cc/en/sports/yao-ming-officially-shot-yi-jianlian-suffered-a-bolt.html

That's one of the worst translations I've ever tried to read.

FireDavidKahn
02-03-2022, 08:35 PM

The vast majority, yes. Lots of these guys are being trained starting in grade school.

I really can't believe that someone is arguing that the USA doesn't unquestionably attract more basketball talent then China. This is a ridiculous take for you to die on.

FultzNationRISE
02-03-2022, 08:35 PM
Get LeBron's dick out of your mouth. You are one annoying China Man. I'll bitch slap you back to China.

BAAAAAAAANG!!!!!! :dancin :roll: :dancin

AlternativeAcc.
02-03-2022, 08:37 PM
If it was strictly this then let's simply shift the goalpost and ask why haven't they taken over a sizeable chunk the non black percentage of players which is still good for something like 26% (roughly 115 roster spots) of all 450 available NBA positions right now. 19 years in after Yao took center stage and 11 years after Lin not a single one of those roster spots is a player from China
Because they're not athletic or athletically inclined

It's very simple

You're asking why a certain group of people doesn't excel at a sport largely based on athleticism and size. You're unbelievably dumb

iamgine
02-03-2022, 09:16 PM
The number is not as high as one might think.

For starters, out of 1.4 billion people, there's only around 10 million males who are at the right age to enter NBA draft each year. I'm guessing very few of them play basketball seriously because as much as they love basketball, I don't think for most it's seen as a preferred career to be pursued. More as a hobby. Then there's the height issue. To realistically play in the NBA, you need to be at least 6'2 or around 187cm. That's like 1 out of hundreds of people in China I'm guessing. Even much lower if you consider the athleticism needed for these tall guys. Then there's the lack of training or competition. So in reality, there's only like maybe 1000 or so Chinese people who are qualified each year to play in the CBA, let alone the NBA.

BurningHammer
02-03-2022, 11:37 PM
Because they're not athletic or athletically inclined

It's very simple

You're asking why a certain group of people doesn't excel at a sport largely based on athleticism and size. You're unbelievably dumb

They keep producing super athletes for other sports, mostly Olympic ones, though.

FilmyCogTurner
02-04-2022, 10:18 PM
I find this a bit odd as well. Look at their international team, plenty of NBA level height to go around. Not only that, so many of the Chinese I have hooped with over the years were also great athletes. Surely there must be one player with skill and height to make some waves in the pro leagues.

warriorfan
02-04-2022, 10:19 PM
Yao Ming joining the NBA didn’t all of a sudden alter a billion people’s genetics.

ImKobe
02-04-2022, 10:24 PM
How many of those 1.4 billion people play basketball and are in a position to pursue it as a career? The average Chinese male is also considerably shorter than the average USA/EU person as well so that's another issue when it comes to making the NBA.

ghostfacekilla
02-04-2022, 11:43 PM
Will hard make MBA payer. Take loong time