PDA

View Full Version : The Most Similar NBA Player to Michael Jordan

iamgine
02-05-2022, 06:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1pb7VHvgV8

Spurs m8
02-05-2022, 06:21 AM
What about LeBarry?

Hes been around long enough...who is emulating his game?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

Even one single player?

Full Court
02-05-2022, 05:04 PM
Didn't watch the whole video, but it looks like they're saying Kawhi Leonard is the most similar?

Not surprised.

La Frescobaldi
02-05-2022, 06:01 PM
Didn't watch the whole video, but it looks like they're saying Kawhi Leonard is the most similar?

Not surprised.

I took a ton of heat on here back in the day when I was all alone saying Leonard was as good as or better than Durant at every single facet of basketball except scoring. Some guys on here said I couldn’t tell KD from Tony Allen and so forth.
Then a couple months later Leonard got that first Fmvp and man, he was launched.

I have been laughing ever since those guys should be payin me cash money for teaching them the lessons

Micku
02-05-2022, 06:29 PM

Not surprised.

Yup. I think top 3 is Kawhi, Lebron and DeRozan.

Kawhi cuz of both ends. He has the hands. Play style

LeBron cuz of the accomplishments, dominance of the stats, be able to get a shot anytime. Their style is nothing alike tho.

DeMar DeRozan cuz of the shot selection and footwork.

Kawhi game is more similar. Kawhi and DeMar DeRozan got the same moves as MJ. DeMar studied a lot of Kobe, and Kobe got it from MJ. Kawhi study more MJ tho. The quickness and speed aren't there, but they got the similar moves. But they are more like 90s MJ. 80s MJ is a slightly different. Attacked the rim more.

Kblaze8855
02-05-2022, 06:47 PM
I took a ton of heat on here back in the day when I was all alone saying Leonard was as good as or better than Durant at every single facet of basketball except scoring..

Is that saying a lot? Kevin Durant is a goat tier scorer and that’s why he’s Kevin Durant. He’s good at other things but someone could be better than KD at everything but scoring and not even be a star. You can do other things to match a scorer but merely being on the level KD is at things other than scoring isn’t like…noteworthy.

Is it something to take a victory lap over?

Has anyone ever said KD was consistently elite at anything else?

Nobody is bad enough at the rest of the fame that when combined with KDs scoring you wouldn’t get an all time great.

WhiteKyrie
02-05-2022, 06:49 PM
MJ was equal parts prime Wade and equal parts prime Kobe. With better intangibles and could play without the ball in his hands.

SouBeachTalents
02-05-2022, 06:50 PM
Is that saying a lot? Kevin Durant is a goat tier scorer and that’s why he’s Kevin Durant. He’s good at other things but someone could be better than KD at everything but scoring and not even be a star. You can do other things to match a scorer but merely being on the level KD is at things other than scoring isn’t like…noteworthy.

Nobody is bad enough at the rest of the fame that when combined with KDs scoring you wouldn’t get an all time great.
And of all players Kawhi, who was a 2x DPOY and had established himself as a top 5 caliber player even before his title run.

expansionera
02-05-2022, 07:04 PM
If Michael Jordan says Russell Westbrook is the most similar player to himself who are we to disagree with the evaluation :confusedshrug:

I’d say there careers are certainly very similar prior to Pippen coming along

ArbitraryWater
02-05-2022, 07:06 PM
I took a ton of heat on here back in the day when I was all alone saying Leonard was as good as or better than Durant at every single facet of basketball except scoring. Some guys on here said I couldn’t tell KD from Tony Allen and so forth.
Then a couple months later Leonard got that first Fmvp and man, he was launched.

I have been laughing ever since those guys should be payin me cash money for teaching them the lessons

im not sure if thats anything bold you found there or if its even true

Axe
02-05-2022, 10:50 PM
There should be a list here enumerating a couple of younger players who are trying to be ballhogs these days so we'll have more ideas about this subject.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-05-2022, 10:53 PM
In today's game, Kawhi. He's sort of a hybrid between 98 and Wizards Mike. Slower, heavier, and a midrange maestro.

Kawhi's still in his prime though. So he's a bit stronger and more athletic.

2much_knowledge
02-05-2022, 10:57 PM
Only Kobe and Grant. Period

Prime Wade was similar to 87 - 89 Mj and prime westbrook was similar to rookie Mj

La Frescobaldi
02-06-2022, 12:46 AM

Still salty I see.

La Frescobaldi
02-06-2022, 12:47 AM
im not sure if thats anything bold you found there or if its even true

It was true all right.

La Frescobaldi
02-06-2022, 12:51 AM
And of all players Kawhi, who was a 2x DPOY and had established himself as a top 5 caliber player even before his title run.

This was before all that. In 2014.

3ba11
02-06-2022, 07:46 PM
Jordan averaged 6 more points per 100 possessions than anyone in playoff history, with better efficiency on those possessions than anyone that matters (ortg)

Ultimately, no one close to MJ in the following areas:

1) first step

2) drop-step

3) jab-step

4) hop-step

5) triple-threat scoring ability

6) turnaround jumpshot

7) post scoring ability

8) hangtime

9) finishing over length at the rim

10) lean-in tomahawk and associated footwork

11) elevation on jumper

12) shooting form

12) 2-point jumpshooting

13) 2-point scoring (aka basketball)

14) clutch (Old Jordan shot 48% on 3.6 attempts on clutch shots in 97' and 98' Playoffs, versus 40% on 3.0 attempts (20% less attempts) for the playoff careers of Lebron, Kobe and Durant)

ShawkFactory
02-06-2022, 07:52 PM
Jordan averaged 6 more points per 100 possessions than anyone in playoff history, with better efficiency on those possessions than anyone that matters (ortg)

1) first step

2) drop-step

3) jab-step

4) hop-step

6) turnaround jumpshot

7) post scoring ability

8) hangtime

11) elevation on jumper

12) shooting form

12) 2-point jumpshooting

14) clutch (Old Jordan shot 48% on 3.6 attempts on clutch shots in 97' and 98' Playoffs, versus 40% on 3.0 attempts (20% less attempts) for the playoff careers of Lebron, Kobe and Durant)

Lol no one is close to Jordan at scoring in the post?

You have no honor.

SATAN
02-06-2022, 08:03 PM
MJ is todays' era is Will Barton.

Full Court
02-06-2022, 10:10 PM
MJ is todays' era is Will Barton.

Beezleblubber in today's era is this guy:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7qsY7ba3qfY/TpSbqmlHj1I/AAAAAAAABN4/BktmE3VFJ_I/s400/pictures+of+funny+looking+people+04.jpg

Johnny32
02-07-2022, 07:22 AM

1) first step

2) drop-step

3) jab-step

4) hop-step

6) turnaround jumpshot

7) post scoring ability

8) hangtime

11) elevation on jumper

12) shooting form

12) 2-point jumpshooting

mj chucks a ridiculous 33 shots per 100 possessions also.

3ba11
02-07-2022, 11:13 AM
Lol no one is close to Jordan at scoring in the post?

You have no honor.

Who else led the league in scoring for 3 straight years on the post?

Waiting

Jordan did so and was routinely called the best post player in the game by guys like Phil Jackson, Doc Rivers, Jerry West and others

ShawkFactory
02-07-2022, 12:09 PM
Who else led the league in scoring for 3 straight years on the post?

Waiting

Jordan did so and was routinely called the best post player in the game by guys like Phil Jackson, Doc Rivers, Jerry West and others

You said no one is close.

3ba11
02-07-2022, 12:19 PM
You said no one is close.

Duly-noted, but by now you should be used to a little hyperbole without missing the point being made

ShawkFactory
02-07-2022, 12:23 PM
Duly-noted, but by now you should be used to a little hyperbole without missing the point being made

If your point is so good why do you need to be hyperbolic?

3ba11
02-07-2022, 12:27 PM
If your point is so good why do you need to be hyperbolic?

It's more fun to say that Kyrie "ragdolled" Curry in the Finals, rather than just say he outplayed him (more accurate)

It usually won't change the point being made... In the Kyrie example, no one ever had a teammate outplay the league MVP, so it's unprecedented help regardless of whether I'm hyperbolic in describing it or not

Of course, it isn't unprecedented for Lebron because Bosh outplayed league MVP Rose in 11', or Wade outplayed fmvp Dirk.. then AD "demolished" Jokic

Btw, Jordan did lead the league in scoring from the post for 3 straight years so maybe no one is infact close to this... Maybe it wasn't hyperbolic

ShawkFactory
02-07-2022, 12:46 PM
It's more fun to say that Kyrie "ragdolled" Curry in the Finals, rather than just say he outplayed him (more accurate)

It usually won't change the point being made... In the Kyrie example, no one ever had a teammate outplay the league MVP, so it's unprecedented help regardless of whether I'm hyperbolic in describing it or not

Of course, it isn't unprecedented for Lebron because Bosh outplayed league MVP Rose in 11', or Wade outplayed fmvp Dirk.. then AD "demolished" Jokic

Btw, Jordan did lead the league in scoring from the post for 3 straight years so maybe no one is infact close to this... Maybe it wasn't hyperbolic

You have the numbers to back that up? I don't necessarily not believe it. I'm just curious.

3ba11
02-07-2022, 01:36 PM
You have the numbers to back that up? I don't necessarily not believe it. I'm just curious.

MJ's unprecedented scoring volume made him a leader in every kind of field goal except threes.

For example, his 33 ppg likely included more catch-and-shoots than Reggie Miller's 20 ppg.

Regarding post-ups, Shaq only played 50-60 games each year from 96-98', while Robinson was hurt in 97/98 and Hakeem had low volume in 97/98.. These guys also got a lot of dump-offs for dunks or slashes and roll man plays, while Hakeem/Robinson had some spot-ups or pick n pop action too... So these factors likely give MJ the most post-up field goals from 96-98'

Jordan's all-time ability in all facets of scoring allow him to fit any system a coach desires.. Jordan started winning as soon as he had an offense that used his goat scoring strategically later in shot clocks after working the defense, rather than seeking out Jordan as soon as possible to end possessions (predictable).. So Jordan would've won with any decent system.

It's funny because Pippen's 7 game series against the 94' Knicks confirms that MJ could've replaced Pippen's trash performance and won (proving that Pippen wasn't needed - he was just the low-producing bum that was lucky enough to land next to the goat scorer and DPOY in 88').

ShawkFactory
02-07-2022, 05:08 PM
MJ's unprecedented scoring volume made him a leader in every kind of field goal except threes.

For example, his 33 ppg likely included more catch-and-shoots than Reggie Miller's 20 ppg.

Regarding post-ups, Shaq only played 50-60 games each year from 96-98', while Robinson was hurt in 97/98 and Hakeem had low volume in 97/98.. These guys also got a lot of dump-offs for dunks or slashes and roll man plays, while Hakeem/Robinson had some spot-ups or pick n pop action too... So these factors likely give MJ the most post-up field goals from 96-98'

Jordan's all-time ability in all facets of scoring allow him to fit any system a coach desires.. Jordan started winning as soon as he had an offense that used his goat scoring strategically later in shot clocks after working the defense, rather than seeking out Jordan as soon as possible to end possessions (predictable).. So Jordan would've won with any decent system.

It's funny because Pippen's 7 game series against the 94' Knicks confirms that MJ could've replaced Pippen's trash performance and won (proving that Pippen wasn't needed - he was just the low-producing bum that was lucky enough to land next to the goat scorer and DPOY in 88').

Ok so we're now saying that no one was close to Jordan's post scoring ability because they didn't play as many games or minutes? Like..really? You didn't say Jordan had the most post up field goals, you said no one was close to him in post-scoring ability.

Like if Jordan had more catch and shoots than Reggie Miller simply because of the volume does that make him a better catch and shoot player?

La Frescobaldi
02-07-2022, 05:17 PM
Ok so we're now saying that no one was close to Jordan's post scoring ability because they didn't play as many games or minutes? Like..really? You didn't say Jordan had the most post up field goals, you said no one was close to him in post-scoring ability.

Like if Jordan had more catch and shoots than Reggie Miller simply because of the volume does that make him a better catch and shoot player?

In post scoring ability Jordan while great isn’t close to a lot of guys

WhiteKyrie
02-07-2022, 06:39 PM
In post scoring ability Jordan while great isn’t close to a lot of guys
Well, yea, he’s a guard

NBAGOAT
02-07-2022, 08:13 PM

you should've gotten that heat. until he got to the clippers he wasnt even as good a passer as KD let alone jordan. Scoring+playmaking is pretty much all a star does on offense and KD was superior at both.

SATAN
02-07-2022, 08:20 PM
Damyean Dotson.

La Frescobaldi
02-08-2022, 12:19 AM
you should've gotten that heat. until he got to the clippers he wasnt even as good a passer as KD let alone jordan. Scoring+playmaking is pretty much all a star does on offense and KD was superior at both.

Nah he was terrific passer even as a rookie